Start by marking “The Gravity of Us” as Want to Read:
The Gravity of Us

The Gravity of Us

As a successful social media journalist with half a million followers, seventeen-year-old Cal is used to sharing his life online. But when his pilot father is selected for a highly publicized NASA mission to Mars, Cal and his family relocate from Brooklyn to Houston and are thrust into a media circus.

Amidst the chaos, Cal meets sensitive and mysterious Leon, another “
Published February 4th 2020 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about The Gravity of Us, please sign up.
Phil Stamper Thank you for asking! The teens are actually NOT in space—they're on the ground, but it's a contemporary YA set in the drama of NASA's first human…moreThank you for asking! The teens are actually NOT in space—they're on the ground, but it's a contemporary YA set in the drama of NASA's first human mission to mars. Two sons of astronauts fall in love while their parents vie for the same spot on the mission. <3(less)

Start your review of The Gravity of Us
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Ah yes, a book about all my favorite things: space and gay stuff
Phil Stamper
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
me: it's a little weird when authors 5-star their own books right?

also me:

--UPDATE--
Anyone want to see a little teaser?

THE GRAVITY OF US
Shaun Hutchinson
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You guys!!! YOU GUYS!!!!! This book is AMAZING!!!!

Larry H
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This was so beautiful and thought-provoking!!

Cal is a successful social media journalist with over half a million followers. But he doesn’t just make wry or cynical observations, or talk about the latest trends or restaurants in his Brooklyn neighborhood or in NYC. He really uses social media to make a difference, and played a huge part in getting younger people interested in the last presidential election. And people noticed—he landed an internship with BuzzFeed he can’t wait for.

But his whole
Kai
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, queer
One small step for man, one giant leap for the gay agenda and their mission to conquer the universe.

The Gravity of Us was one of many upcoming queer releases that I was really looking forward to. It is an OwnVoices novel, it's queer, it has a beautiful cover - it ticks all the boxes. The main character is Cal, a teenage boy about to finish his last year of high school with ambitious plans: he wants to become a journalist. Already he has half a million followers on a platform where he regularly
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
we always knew the space was gay
Tucker
Sep 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
i was mistaken. i misread the maybe bordering on a possibly as a yes... (i don't know HOW i misread that but here we are)
sadness
but i will certainly try to get an audio file from penguin I'M READING THIS BOOK EARLY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
****************
i have just gotten word that i will in fact be getting an ARC

****************
Science + gays = perfection

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Emma
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5 Stars

Full review HERE

The Gravity of Us tells such a contemporary story that you really cannot help but feel like it's something that could totally happen in a not-so-distant future.

I always appreciate it when authors manage to include in their books the use of social media in a good and positive way, since it's such a big and important part of our everyday life and also our current
ellie
sounds gay, i'm in
Vitor Martins
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, read-in-2020
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
UPDATE:

That moment when the author comments on your post about their book. Like didn’t think that would happen!

———————————————————————————

Science Fiction isn’t my genre of choice BUT I’ll give this a shot.
Hollis
I wish I could say this was everything sweet and lovely and as interesting that I hoped it would be.. but it wasn't.

This is a story about a space mission, social media, and first love. But the space mission never really felt real until near the end, there was so much streaming or reality tv that I felt like shaking my fist and yelling at kids to get off my non-existent lawn, and the first love was hella insta-love-y and took off at the speed of light.

Additionally this ARC was brutally formatted
Alfredo (Fred)
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could do a Ted Talk about "The Gravity of Us". I listened to the audiobook, which has a full cast to do the voice of some special characters. My reading experience was definitely better because of this incredible production. It's now on Audible.

The main character, Cal, is a 17-year-old boy who updates his millions of followers with the latest news from the world. He has unresolved issues with his best friend and has just discovered that his father was chosen for NASA's new mission to explore
;3
Jun 15, 2019 is currently reading it
E.
The Gravity of Us by Phil Stamper // Or, You Can’t Fix It All And It’s Okay
| An exploration of human relationships, chasing your dreams and existing is public and private spaces

“I’m leaving. On Monday. Dad’s a fucking astronaut.”

SUMMARY

m/m
f&m friendship
social media
family
NASA

Cal had it all planned out. A Buzzfeed internship. Covering the best stories for his FlashFeed channel. Moving in with his best and only friend. A careful patch to the perfect career in journalism.

But now
desmond ❄️
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-earc, 2019
[4]
description
This was a really cute story, that I enjoyed a lot. I liked Cal as the main character, and enjoyed his relationship with Leon, although it did seem a little fast. I liked how a lot of the story revolved around the fact that his family was not perfect, and how he realizes that the Astronauts and their families are also not as perfect as they appear on TV. I also liked the reality television aspect of the storyline, which I thought was really fun to read.
I did feel like the story felt rushed
The Nerd Daily
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Mimi Koehler

The Gravity of Us was one of my most anticipated reads of 2020 and with a gorgeous cover, an OwnVoices queer romance, and a promising new author, this ticked all of my boxes.

The Gravity of Us follows young Calvin, a promising journalist who is just about to finish high school when his father, a pilot, gets picked to fill the remaining spot for an upcoming NASA mission to Mars that takes Cal’s plans for the future and turns them
Dahlia
In five words: lovely and bighearted space nerdery <3

I can't decide if this makes for a great pairing with THE WEIGHT OF THE STARS by K. Ancrum or if I just wanna see a conversation between the authors in which they talk about writing space-nerd queer YA but either way I like that they exist in the same universe that is my bookshelf.
Jackie
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as 2020-wtf
SPACE MISSION DRAMA. BOYS FALLING IN LOVE. MARS. NASA. A NERDY LOVE STORY ABOUT SONS OF ASTRONAUTS.

SIGN ME UP
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
I got an ARC of this! It sounds really good. I hope it is!
Adam Sass
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is far too long of a wait to see this in print, but it will be worth it. Stamper slings together two young men falling in love against the backdrop of a space race to Mars with the warm, light touch of the best romantic comedy films of the 90s. I'm ecstatic this is going to meet the world soon!
Paula
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Adriana
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

CWs : Brief descriptions of depression, anxiety, and general symptoms of mental health issues

This is one of the most deeply hopeful and empowering YA stories I've read in quite some time. With a smart, headstrong character like Cal facing down the powers of NASA, a massive social media following, and the stress of being thrust into a reality show nightmare, this book takes all the pressure, hopelessness, and cynicism that real teens face on a daily basis and makes it literal. The odds
faith ✨
why is it that lately I have no idea how I feel about the books I read

3.5 stars // rtc

---

guess who has an arc!

I did an interview with Phil Stamper for this book on my blog, and you can check it out here!

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram | CuriousCat | Youtube | Spotify | Discord
rachel ☾

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

Representation: Cal (mc) is queer (mga); Leon (li) is Black & queer; Carla (sc) is Mexican.

Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Blog
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as much as I should. I didn't pick it up with inhuman high hopes and anticipation but it just didn't work for me. I love the plot, I love the various characters but the plot wasn't executed well and the characters lack development. The writing style irked me the most. Everything was way too convenient. The romance parts seem like they were coming from an adult chicklit. The adult characters came out really weak considering the plot showcased NASA and astronauts and social ...more
Benjamin (The Maniac)
Jul 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
For me, it sounds like everything we know about physics will be challenged by this book.
˗ˏˋ ellis ˎˊ˗
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

First of all, thank you so much to Bloomsbury and Edelweiss for sending me an early copy of this book

Okay, I was so excited for this book and I can’t fully believe how much this exceeded my expectations. This book not only has an incredible m/m relationship but it also talks about so many interesting topics. This has drama and romance and politics and that annoying white dude everyone wants to punch in the face.

I have to be honest with y’all, some books when they get into stuff like
Mary H
Oct 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
Eagerly awaiting Phil and Jeremy West's co-written YA sleuth series, but yeah. This'll work. I do love me some Teens in Space who are space adjacent! I love the increase of sci-fi books set in space, but I love that there's also been an increase of contemp books featuring characters who are interested in science and space.
Caroline
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I was lucky enough to read this manuscript and I cannot recommend it enough!! Queer kids and messy families and NASA and romance, this book checks so many boxes. I loved every minute of this one

• Yes No Maybe So
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Reverie
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • Belle Révolte
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Tweet Cute
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • Deposing Nathan
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • How to Build a Heart
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Lucky Caller
Phil Stamper grew up in a rural village near Dayton, Ohio. He has a B.A. in Music and an M.A. in Publishing with Creative Writing. And, unsurprisingly, a lot of student debt. He works for a major book publisher in New York City and lives in Brooklyn with his husband and their dog.

THE GRAVITY OF US is his first novel, but he’s no stranger to writing. His self-insert Legend of Zelda fanfiction came
“People aren’t broken, and therapists couldn’t fix them if they were. But maybe someone can make things a little better, or help them be a little happier.” 1 likes
“Headphones on, I fix myself so I can go back to fixing the world.” 1 likes