Start by marking “The Gravity of Us” as Want to Read:
The Gravity of Us

The Gravity of Us

As a successful social media journalist with half a million followers, seventeen-year-old Cal is used to sharing his life online. But when his pilot father is selected for a highly publicized NASA mission to Mars, Cal and his family relocate from Brooklyn to Houston and are thrust into a media circus.

Amidst the chaos, Cal meets sensitive and mysterious Leon, another “
Published February 4th 2020 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about The Gravity of Us, please sign up.
Phil Stamper Thank you for asking! The teens are actually NOT in space—they're on the ground, but it's a contemporary YA set in the drama of NASA's first human…moreThank you for asking! The teens are actually NOT in space—they're on the ground, but it's a contemporary YA set in the drama of NASA's first human mission to mars. Two sons of astronauts fall in love while their parents vie for the same spot on the mission. <3(less)

Start your review of The Gravity of Us
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Ah yes, a book about all my favorite things: space and gay stuff
Phil Stamper
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
me: it's a little weird when authors 5-star their own books right?

also me:

--UPDATE--
Anyone want to see a little teaser?

THE GRAVITY OF US
Shaun Hutchinson
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You guys!!! YOU GUYS!!!!! This book is AMAZING!!!!

Larry H
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This was so beautiful and thought-provoking!!

Cal is a successful social media journalist with over half a million followers. But he doesn’t just make wry or cynical observations, or talk about the latest trends or restaurants in his Brooklyn neighborhood or in NYC. He really uses social media to make a difference, and played a huge part in getting younger people interested in the last presidential election. And people noticed—he landed an internship with BuzzFeed he can’t wait for.

But his whole
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Might be more of a 2.5 but I'm rounding up because while I didn't love this, I also didn't full on hate it? The writing style was just not really my favorite and honestly I was also not a huge fan of the main character. This was truly just like, the epitome of meh for me. Big womp :(
Kai
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, queer
One small step for man, one giant leap for the gay agenda and their mission to conquer the universe.

The Gravity of Us was one of many upcoming queer releases that I was really looking forward to. It is an OwnVoices novel, it's queer, it has a beautiful cover - it ticks all the boxes. The main character is Cal, a teenage boy about to finish his last year of high school with ambitious plans: he wants to become a journalist. Already he has half a million followers on a platform where he regularly
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
we always knew the space was gay
Toni
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cal Lewis is a seventeen year old aspiring journalist and news reporter. He has been working very hard on building his account and follower base on a social media site. Cal is passionate about his videos and news updates because he believes people do not just want gossip- they want facts and real information that can help them make choices. Cal is also a planner. He has a schedule for his news updates, he knows what he is going to do in summer (his internship), next year, and how he is going to ...more
Tucker
Sep 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
i was mistaken. i misread the maybe bordering on a possibly as a yes... (i don't know HOW i misread that but here we are)
sadness
but i will certainly try to get an audio file from penguin I'M READING THIS BOOK EARLY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
****************
i have just gotten word that i will in fact be getting an ARC

****************
Science + gays = perfection

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

So, I actually ended up loving this book a lot because it does a lot of things that I would love to see more of in YA.

But more on that in a hot minute.

Cal is a popular video blogger who is becoming well known for his Refinery29-like exposes and journalism. He lives in Brooklyn and loves the fast-paced color of the city life. That's why, when his father makes a surprise announcement that not only has he been hired as an astronaut, but
Alfredo (Fred)
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could do a Ted Talk about "The Gravity of Us". I listened to the audiobook, which has a full cast to do the voice of some special characters. My reading experience was definitely better because of this incredible production. It's now on Audible.

The main character, Cal, is a 17-year-old boy who updates his millions of followers with the latest news from the world. He has unresolved issues with his best friend and has just discovered that his father was chosen for NASA's new mission to explore
Emma
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5 Stars

Full review HERE

The Gravity of Us tells such a contemporary story that you really cannot help but feel like it's something that could totally happen in a not-so-distant future.

I always appreciate it when authors manage to include in their books the use of social media in a good and positive way, since it's such a big and important part of our everyday life and also our current
ellie
sounds gay, i'm in
Hollis
I wish I could say this was everything sweet and lovely and as interesting that I hoped it would be.. but it wasn't.

This is a story about a space mission, social media, and first love. But the space mission never really felt real until near the end, there was so much streaming or reality tv that I felt like shaking my fist and yelling at kids to get off my non-existent lawn, and the first love was hella insta-love-y and took off at the speed of light.

Additionally this ARC was brutally formatted
Vitor Martins
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, read-in-2020
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as much as I should. I didn't pick it up with inhuman high hopes and anticipation but it just didn't work for me. I love the plot, I love the various characters but the plot wasn't executed well and the characters lack development. The writing style irked me the most. Everything was way too convenient. The romance parts seem like they were coming from an adult chicklit. The adult characters came out really weak considering the plot showcased NASA and astronauts and social ...more
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
UPDATE:

That moment when the author comments on your post about their book. Like didn’t think that would happen!

———————————————————————————

Science Fiction isn’t my genre of choice BUT I’ll give this a shot.
;3
Jun 15, 2019 is currently reading it
E.
The Gravity of Us by Phil Stamper // Or, You Can’t Fix It All And It’s Okay
| An exploration of human relationships, chasing your dreams and existing is public and private spaces

“I’m leaving. On Monday. Dad’s a fucking astronaut.”

SUMMARY

m/m
f&m friendship
social media
family
NASA

Cal had it all planned out. A Buzzfeed internship. Covering the best stories for his FlashFeed channel. Moving in with his best and only friend. A careful patch to the perfect career in journalism.

But now
desmond ❄️
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-earc, 2019
[4]
description
This was a really cute story, that I enjoyed a lot. I liked Cal as the main character, and enjoyed his relationship with Leon, although it did seem a little fast. I liked how a lot of the story revolved around the fact that his family was not perfect, and how he realizes that the Astronauts and their families are also not as perfect as they appear on TV. I also liked the reality television aspect of the storyline, which I thought was really fun to read.
I did feel like the story felt rushed
The Nerd Daily
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Mimi Koehler

The Gravity of Us was one of my most anticipated reads of 2020 and with a gorgeous cover, an OwnVoices queer romance, and a promising new author, this ticked all of my boxes.

The Gravity of Us follows young Calvin, a promising journalist who is just about to finish high school when his father, a pilot, gets picked to fill the remaining spot for an upcoming NASA mission to Mars that takes Cal’s plans for the future and turns them
Dahlia
In five words: lovely and bighearted space nerdery <3

I can't decide if this makes for a great pairing with THE WEIGHT OF THE STARS by K. Ancrum or if I just wanna see a conversation between the authors in which they talk about writing space-nerd queer YA but either way I like that they exist in the same universe that is my bookshelf.
Adam Sass
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is far too long of a wait to see this in print, but it will be worth it. Stamper slings together two young men falling in love against the backdrop of a space race to Mars with the warm, light touch of the best romantic comedy films of the 90s. I'm ecstatic this is going to meet the world soon!
Jackie
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as 2020-wtf
SPACE MISSION DRAMA. BOYS FALLING IN LOVE. MARS. NASA. A NERDY LOVE STORY ABOUT SONS OF ASTRONAUTS.

SIGN ME UP
hillary
Feb 10, 2020 marked it as dnf-zone  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, arcs
DNF 16% | 9/02/20

The sadness I feel as I’m shelving this book on my dnf-zone shelf...

This had so much potential to become one of my faves. The synopsis sounded amazing and I was all for a new queer read, but unfortunately the execution wasn’t for me. I didn’t mesh well with the writing style and the characters were a bit too immature for my tastes. I found the whole social media and NASA thing to be unrealistic. Especially the dad acted very weird for an adult, and since the entire book is
Paula
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Ben Howard
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was an enjoyable debut and I look forward to what Phil Stamper writes next.

However, there was too much John Mayer. A book should have no John Mayer in it at all.

Me, whenever John Mayer's hat was mentioned:
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Cal is a super successful social media journalist with over half a million followers—but when his pilot father is selected to train as one of the astronauts heading to Mars, he and his family are uprooted from Brooklyn to Houston and thrown into a media circus. But Cal's family isn't like the astronauts on the reality TV show that NASA has become. His family is messy. And then he meets quiet, mysterious Leon.

I enjoyed this mainly because NASA and the way the book explored human relationships and
rachel ☾

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

Representation: Cal (mc) is queer (mga); Leon (li) is Black & queer; Carla (sc) is Mexican.

Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Blog
alana ♡
"Don't aim to fix people. Fixing seems so permanent, so absolute. Like there's no room for error. Aim to make things better."

I'm a little bummed that I wasn't able to give this one a higher rating but it was still a pretty fun, heart warming quick read. The Gravity of Us is an OwnVoices novel that reads like a typical YA contemporary, but also offers us something new and unique by incorporating a romance, new friendships, and space all in one.

What I Liked

Queer rep.We love an OwnVoices novel

• Yes No Maybe So
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Reverie
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Tweet Cute
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • She's the Worst
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • Deposing Nathan
Phil Stamper grew up in a rural village near Dayton, Ohio. He has a B.A. in Music and an M.A. in Publishing with Creative Writing. And, unsurprisingly, a lot of student debt. He works for a major book publisher in New York City and lives in Brooklyn with his husband and their dog.

THE GRAVITY OF US is his first novel, but he’s no stranger to writing. His self-insert Legend of Zelda fanfiction came
“Headphones on, I fix myself so I can go back to fixing the world.” 3 likes
“People aren’t broken, and therapists couldn’t fix them if they were. But maybe someone can make things a little better, or help them be a little happier.” 1 likes