Start by marking “High Times Presents Paul Krassner's Pot Stories for the Soul” as Want to Read:
High Times Presents Paul Krassner's Pot Stories for the Soul

High Times Presents Paul Krassner's Pot Stories for the Soul

To solicit these stories, Paul Krassner contacted 250 friends and acquaintances and announced the project in High Times and on the air. Including "The Bust at Ken Kesey's Place, " "How the Yippies Mailed 30,000 Joints to Perfect Strangers, " and "The Acid Trip of a Death Row Prisoner, " these true tales range from funny to bizarre to poignant.
Published November 3rd 1999 by High Times Press (first published October 1st 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about High Times Presents Paul Krassner's Pot Stories for the Soul

Start your review of High Times Presents Paul Krassner's Pot Stories for the Soul
Melody
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wildly uneven, of course. Duuuuuude, ya, think? Um, yeah, duuuude. The best piece, for my money, is Harlan Ellison's cranky-ass forward. Ellison is adorable, and never so adorable as when he's on his high horse. The following essays range from the sublime to the utterly ridiculous.
Evett DiBianco
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
Oh my goodness, some of these short stories made me laugh out loud....seriously....who would think smoking dog poo will get you high???
Anna Ligtenberg
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
A long time ago, I had a neighbor... who lived with his mom. He was probably about 25... ancient to me! His mom did NOT approve of "being all doped out" and other cute Mom-variations on the theme. So he had this genius idea to ask me to hold onto his stash. Then... when he wanted it... he would somehow have forgotten it was his, even when I reminded him, and he'd insist on buying it from me. Every.Single.Time. At the time... hey, I was a teenager and money's money. Now? I mean, I know we've gone ...more
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: _-_hated_it
Like listening to a crowd of burnout hippie uncles tell each other ancient pot stories that you know they've told many times to many others.

Maybe my expectations were too high. Or perhaps the contributors to this book were. Either way, with most of the tales of Zany Marrywanna Hilarity in this book, the authors seem to be setting up page-length pot jokes, only to have forgotten the punchline by the end.

Yawn.
David Ward
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: essays, non-fiction, drugs
High Times Presents Paul Krassner's Pot Stories for the Soul by Paul Krassner (High Times Books 1999) (Nonfiction) is a collection of essays and short stories from various authors concerning marijuana and its place in society. I looked for some of the classic High Times magazine articles, but none are featured in this volume. My rating: 7/10, finished 4/3/14.
April WW
May 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-book-club
Should be MUCH more entertaining than it is! If you're one to keep a bookshelf in the bathroom, put this on it. Not the same type of pot, you understand, just that it's a good restroom reader. hahaha
Carole Dailey
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
You'll be surprised who contributed stories, some hysterical like hemp fest procedes, munchies stories; the changes in laws since the 1920's; the counter-cultures and beatniks...these are not stoner stories - these are life experience stories.
Meaghan
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious, whether you're a stoner or not. :) Lots of good tales from the 60's, 70's, and today.
Oswald
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pot-heads
Recommended to Oswald by: marfa
This book was a gift, and boy did I love it when I first got it! (Thanks Marfa). The stories are hilarious. This is definitely a must read!
Zack
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it

Here's my review of Paul's pot book:
Kristen
Sep 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Basically what you would expect from any book that features the phrase "for the soul" in the title . . . shitty!
David Melbie
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Recommend what?
Recommended to David by: The subliminal draw of the pot leaves on the cover. . .
LMAO! The Forward by Harlan Ellison is worth it alone! Funny. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Samra
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Old Stoner stories. Cute
Alan Duffy
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
You probably had to be there for a lot of these stories. Most are un-funny and boring. Some good moments though.
Ernest Hogan
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Flashes of the stoned life, with a dissenting opinion foreword by Harlan Ellison! Ah, to live in self-inflicted absurdity for a change . . .
gregory
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it
very good and very funny

Rhonda Stephens
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leisure
Totally trippy and unusually funny. Will def. read again

• I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
  • The Elephant in the Room: One Fat Man's Quest to Get Smaller in a Growing America
  • Lovesick Blues: The Life of Hank Williams
  • Unthinkable: What the World's Most Extraordinary Brains Can Teach Us About Our Own
  • Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux
  • Sweet Thursday (Cannery Row #2)
  • The Call of the Wild
  • The Pope: Francis, Benedict, and the Decision That Shook the World
  • Fire & Blood (A Targaryen History #1)
  • Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, and Baking Biscuits
  • Bad Country
  • Rough Justice
  • Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10)
  • Muskets and Applejack: Spirits, Soldiers, and the Civil War
  • Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance
  • Haints, Witches, and Boogers: Tales from Upper East Tennessee
  • Get Stoned and Read This Book
  • Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman
Paul Krassner was an American author, journalist, comedian, and the founder, editor and a frequent contributor to the magazine The Realist.