Start by marking “Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow” as Want to Read:
Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow

Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow

Effective software teams are essential for any organization to deliver value continuously and sustainably. But how do you build the best team organization for your specific goals, culture, and needs?

Team Topologies is a practical, step-by-step, adaptive model for organizational design and team interaction based on four fundamental team types and three team interaction pat
Published September 17th 2019 by It Revolution Press (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Team Topologies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Team Topologies

Start your review of Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
Sebastian Gebski
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've openly criticized recent MS's book (the one about sketching) - as half-arsed, rushed & shallow.
I've speculated that one of the reasons could be that he was working (in parallel) on something else - "Team Topologies" - and TBH after reading it ... I feel like my guesses were correct.

Just because TT is so much better.

Good points. Good conceptual model (that appears comprehensive enough). Some very good remarks & references (e.g. to McChrystal or theory of org. structures). This books ain't lo
Brice Beard
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Formatted review at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stream...

Team Topologies provides deep insight into organizing IT teams for high performance. It demonstrates why a team centric approach is critical to DevOps and Agile success.

For anyone leading team(s) or simply working in a team, you’re bound to learn a lot through the case studies and synthetic approach presented. You will acquire a new frame of reference to help evolve your team(s) or organization and improve Teamwork !

Software Architectu
Cliff Hazell
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone designing teams, architecture or org structure.

The ideas around fundamental topologies and patterns, cognitive load and interaction types; are vital concepts beautifully captured by Matthew and Manuel.

Highly recommended
Toni Tassani
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The authors evolve the idea behind DevOps Topologies into a model for or organisational design. They suggest four essential team types and three interaction models, and present multiple real cases where their approach was used. From that perspective, they try to cover aspects like finance, diversity, culture, maturity, support, office layout, or quality, with a clear focus on architecture, and Conway's Law.
Considering the team as the essential unit they pitch for team stability and cross-functio
Valerie
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super interesting book for those tasked with organizational design. Filled with insights on how to structure your organization’s teams in a scalable way that both optimizes for delivery and takes a human-centered approach.

The writing was very dry — a bit white paper-ish — and could’ve used many more real-world examples to support the concepts they propose. Regardless, I found their lens for thinking about teams to be extremely valuable.
Mindaugas Mozūras
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Team structures must match the required software architecture or risk producing unintended designs.

A must-read for anyone in a technical leadership role. Team Topologies explains the principles and patterns for successful team structures and efficient interactions between teams. The book is very concrete, practical, and contains useful examples.

While the content wasn't all new to me, I found it very well structured (ha), and it gave me fresh food for thought. We use many of the principles outlin
Ken Gronnbeck
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The main content of the book is worth a 4 or even 5 stars. But it also contains a considerable amount of fluff. And way to many quotes that disrupts the flow of reading, ironically, the word flow is used on almost every page of the book.
Eduards Sizovs
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a seasoned Continuous Delivery and DevOps practitioner I didn't expect to find something new, but this book positively surprised me. Team Topologies is a great read about scaling organizations and software development. In fine detail, with concrete practices, it explains how to (re)-structure your teams to achieve flow. It's well-written, well-structured, and has lots of take-aways. ...more
Tõnu Vahtra
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some theoretical books from IT Revolution Press can be extremely tedious (but still useful, like The DevOps Handbook), this one is actually very engaging to follow (I had to constantly make breaks to take notes) and it's not that long, merely 240 pages. I will definitely take this book into use in my work life (actually already did). It introduced a few new concepts and novel ideas to my everyday vocabulary like cognitive load, optimizing for FAST FLOW and high fidelity sensing (Cynefin was also ...more
Vlad Ardelean
Far too bloated, but very nice references!

This video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvt0A... has one of the authors explaining what's in this book.

I made 135 highlights on kindle, so there has to be some value in it, but the book could easily have been made 5 times shorter.

Bits of information I remember and found interesting:
* Decisions should be taken by people who have the most information in order to make the decision.
* Reverse Conway maneuver: ensure teams can't communicate well, and
Bjoern Rochel
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Quick, very insightful read centering around the ideas of Conways Law, Dunbars number and Cognitive Load and their effects on organizational design.

Good and useful stuff to reason about team structures in an organization!
Dominykas Punis
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile-lean
One of the best books on organisational design, especially in technology sector. While mostly applicable to larger organisations with 15+ teams, it's also very useful for companies at a growth/scaling stages. It's mostly based on Conway's law and talks about 4 fundamental team types and 3 cross-team communication methods that companies should follow. ...more
Hannes Lindblom
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Contained many great takeaways and concepts which I will be able to apply in my current job. A bit repetetive and long though, the content could probably have been condensed.
Simon Hohenadl
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Not much new here for me, but a very good overview of the topic. A must-read for people taking on responsibility for software development teams.
Mash
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for managers, architects, and developers alike. The concept of 4 team topologies and the 3 interaction modes between those teams underpins the discussion in the book and helps create a blueprint for how teams should structure and evolve themselves.
肥啾 H
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is written by one who is highly logical, highly ordered, and highly intelligent. He uses a top-to-bottom approach to analyze a few important ideas:
- Team first approach
- DDD (domain driven design)
- Four main team topologies: Platform, Stream-aligned, enabling, and complicated-subsystems.
- Three team interaction modes: Collaboration, X-as-a-service, and facilitation.

He encouraged to think of a problem, key stakeholders clearly, and think of it as a way to have a minimal viable product
Isaac Perez Moncho
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Team Topologies is full of insights and exciting ideas. It made me realise that some concepts I used in the past can be applied to teams, and there may be better ways to align different teams to focus on company-wide results.
Four key takeaways from the book that I will pursue further are:
Applying the concept of cognitive load to a team will make it easier to define the responsibilities of that team.
Reward teams by the output of other teams.
The thinnest viable platform, to get just the right plat
Yannick Grenzinger
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book on how to design your organizational architecture allowing to deliver software faster by implementing the idea of "Reverse Conway's Law".

It really opens a view on how to exit the traditionnal "waterfallish" and siloed organizational architecture and mainly avoid the costs of synchronization between teams.

I don't put a 5 stars because it maybe lacks more information on how the model has been implemented, how is it used and the pitfalls. Less theory and a bit more of practi
Dejan Vukmirovic
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting overview of theoretical approach to IT teams/organizations setup.
It is kind of simplified and generic approach, and I would argue that people tend to bend this theoretical concepts in real-life situations, but it gives you a great starting point to think about organizations you want to (re)shape.
I will keep this book in my collection, that is for sure.
Marco
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, audible, career
Quick read about team structures, functionalities and communication types. Mostly based on Conway's law and creating strategies to use this for building teams. Sometimes a little bit to theoretical but I liked the chapter about DDD aspects when it comes to teams. ...more
Kostadin Golev
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insights! I found it a bit dry and generic at times, but a great read.
Dmitry Spesiviy
This was a great book for me. It is first time when I made more then 100 notes in one book.
I was looking for the ways how to optimize work in our company and this book gave to me a lot of insights. Book full of real-life example, references to other books, practices.

Highly recommended for all people who are involved in organizing, supporting and managing IT teams.
Kristjan
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear and well captures the topic.
João Quitério
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good framework to discuss an important but often neglected topic: how to structure your engineering organization.
Ricardo Hernández
Perhaps one of the best technical -and not yet technical- books that I have read about software development and organizational development. Parting from concise theory, they authors offers proven ways to plan, design, develop and nurture teams that align with business objectives, technical architecture and development flows. Taking Conway’s Law as backbone to sustain their their, Skelton and Pais are defining here what its was missed from the DevOps revolution: people and the ever complex produc ...more
Jo
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you accept the premise that today's IT organization should be optimizing for flow of change & feedback, then team topologies provides a map on how to get there.

It takes into account several forces like Conway's law (link between software architecture & organization structure), team cognitive load (how much problem & solution space can fit into the team's head?) & cost of inter-team communication. Based on these forces, they derive 4 essential types of teams & 3 ways of inter-team collaboratio
Gustavo Leiva
The book proposes a set of ways to structure teams around technology as well as ways for those teams to communicate with each other and the organization.
While I agree with the proposal, I think it needs a certain context to be successful/accurate. Therefore I think there are possibly other ways to be successful structuring technology teams without following what the author proposes.

The book is also very repetitive. I think the same content could have been condensed into fewer pages.
In general,
Alla
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was certainly worth my time and the authors have clearly put a lot of their time and work into it. It presents a clear and consistent framework for making decisions when designing team structures and interactions. The language is just right - not too casual but not too scientific either. All statements are backed by research and further reading suggestions. Simple and useful illustrations. Finally, many chapters I would come back to as a handbook when scaling teams and many suggestions ...more
Mario Sailer
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
If I had to rate the book on the claim that you get good advice on "How do you build the best team organization for your specific goals, culture, and needs?" it would be only one star. But I want to appreciate the good intend the book has so it became two stars.

To say it bluntly: I found the content quite basic, sometimes even flawed.

The book starts with communication structure of an organization and that it is critical for both, team performance and software architecture. This is were Conway's
Sergey Bir
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: IT people
So much goodness in this book.

Teams first - a team is more than the sum of people.
Team size - 5-8 or else hard to build trust and feeling of ownership.
Office design - design the physical space to reduce unnecessary interactions and promote necessary.
Suggested team topologies - stream-aligned, platform, complicated subsystem, enabling.
Boundaries are important - cognitive load is a serious problem, that's why we need to manage team and system sizes and their interactions.
Conway law - a product's
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Unicorn Project
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • Agile Conversations: Transform Your Conversations, Transform Your Culture
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • A Seat at the Table
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »