Start by marking “Elysia” as Want to Read:
Elysia

Elysia

In the far future, technology is known as magic. That magic preserves a tenuous peace between two countries in the hands of its seemingly immortal Earthling inventor, the Sovereign. But Will Darkwood knows nothing about that.

Will lives a simple life by a lake, spending most of his days dreaming of what things are like beyond the far-off mountains. One morning, Will opens
Paperback, Paperback, 399 pages
Published March 28th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Elysia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elysia

Start your review of Elysia
S.E. MacCready
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first thing I noticed about this book was the absolutely breathtaking cover. The simplicity of it is phenomenal and the colors are so calming and serene. I would buy a physical copy of this book just so I can look at it on my bookshelf.

C.C. Francis didn't waste any time getting into the story. We were immediately throw into a fast moving and intriguing plot with a protagonist we could sympathize with. The premise of the story was so original and I LOVE the thought of our present day technol
Michelle
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
C.C. Francis' Elysia was the story to get me back into fantasy. I started reading this the other day to choose a quote, and next thing you know, it was extremely late and I was halfway through!
⠀⠀
What happens when an ordinary man is catapulted into a position of power? What happens when an ordinary man is given the tools to rule but doesn't know the first thing to do? And, what happens when an ordinary man is chased by an assassin only because he wants the power?
⠀⠀
I wanted
Katie Lancaster
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read fantasy books but I was totally hooked by Elysia. A great read from start to finish, loved it.
Shaun Pinkham
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read. Francis builds a world that blurs the line between fantasy and science fiction, then peoples it with an unusual cast of characters that play off each others personalities in ways that range from humorous to horrified. The story builds in intensity as it becomes more complex with each chapter.
The character of Khel was my favorite, dark, cynical, and funny at the same time. I hope to see more of him in the future.
Dean Jones
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely thought out story

I will admit I was taken in by the blurb and the really good book cover. Upon starting the story i quickly recognised Tolkien similarities. A journey for our hapless hero and his witty friend that carries a lot of the humanity tagging along.

This continued throughout the book and there were moments where the words were beautifully written and the descriptive paragraphs brought vivid imagery.

The main negative I had was that the dialogue was writt
Nellie Neves
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won a giveaway and received this book. I’m not a fantasy reader in general, but that being said I really enjoyed this book. The main character, Will, has a wanderlust I relate to. When he receives a necklace with a mysterious stone, his life is forever changed. Departing on what has to be an epic adventure, he goes through worlds and meets people beyond his wildest dreams. The author builds beautiful landscape, fanciful worlds and memorable characters. I love Khel’s character. Sarcasm and dry ...more
Kerenza Ryan
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven't quite finished this yet, but it has been a great read! Fast paced and full of surprises, it's your classic adventure story that still manages to keep you engaged. I would suggest it to others, and hope people all give it a chance!
Sara Kjeldsen
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I was drawn in by the beautiful cover. I can't lie. Though it took a while for the action to get started, I was really drawn in by the time I got past a few Chapters. The characters' journey through the perilous wilderness kept me turning the pages and I enjoyed the banter and relationship building as they came closer to Elysia. Admittedly, it was hard for me to stay focused at the beginning and ending of the books. It's like the journey was the main highlight for me and brought the characters t ...more
Rebecca Hefner
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be a sweeping fantasy read. Fans of Lord of the Rings or Star Wars would most likely enjoy it. Since it's such an encompassing story, there is a lot to be done, but I think the author did it really well. I found the dialogue engaging (and even funny sometimes) and the characters were great, Will and Khel specifically. If you want to get lost in an engrossing summer read, I'd definitely recommend adding this to your TBR!
M.A. Price
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
C.C Francis's Elysia is a wonderful fantasy story.

I highly enjoyed the book from page 1, also for the beautiful cover alone.

The entire world is beautifully described, fantasy description on par with the likes of Tolkien.

I would highly recommend this book to any epic fantasy fans.
C.C. Francis
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm the author, so I may be biased. But I think this book is awesome, and you should read it.

It features:

-Vibrant fantasy settings with a unique Sci Fi backstory
-Dueling immortal masterminds with a secret history
-Swashbuckling pirates on a flying ship, with a corgi mascot
-An infamous assassin with a sharp tongue and questionable allegiances
-A naive, bumbling main character with unshakable loyalty to his best friend
-A diverse cast of character
Christie Powell
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I was impressed by the description and detail. The story brings up thought-provoking themes about agency and opposition. The plot is exciting and the characters relatable. I did struggle remembering who was who with some of the secondary characters--or remembering why they're important. I also would have liked a little more explanation about what exactly was happening, but I'm chalking that one up to genre--I usually read YA. This is in the style of an adult fantasy, and I t ...more
Eva Morian
Jun 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish, dnf
Ally
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I received a copy of this book for an honest review, and honest I shall be.

I couldn't finish it.

I got through a little over 20 chapters before I gave up. And getting there, around 80 pages, took me a week and a half, which I forced myself to do. For reference, that's about a quarter of the book.

To be clear, this book isn't wholly terrible. The narration of setting is written really well and the images described paint beautiful mental pictures. The action is also clear an
Samantha Kroese
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall I found this title to be enjoyable. It's easy to read and not too bogged down like many Fantasy books can be. I enjoyed the lead character and a few of the side characters. It almost had a Wizard of Oz feel to me with the journey of the characters and their quest. The ending threw me a little (in a good way) because I was expecting it to go an entirely different way. Definitely worth a look if you're a fan of lighter Fantasy.
Antonio
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was fun and engaging. The world-building is solid and detailed, but a lot of it is between the lines; if you like your epics with twenty-page narratorial musings on the nature of government and culture, look elsewhere. This book dives into the action and develops the world and characters along the way. It was hard to put down, and I look forward to the next volume.

Judging from the wide spread in reviews, I'd suggest you sit and read a dozen pages or two. You'll either love
Rebecca
May 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was thoroughly unsatisfying

I thought I would try out this book because the premise seemed interesting. But for the first 40% I actually thought this was the worst book I had ever read. It starts out nice enough but suddenly all the action starts, without any sort of build-up. I cannot explain it but I felt I missed whole books in between pages because what happened was so random. You never get to know any of the characters at all and therefore don't care for them in the least. About most
C.D. Tavenor
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Elysia. Where do I begin?

The debut title of C.C. Francis, Elysia follows the adventures of Will Darkwood, a new hero on a planet where technology is indistinguishable from magic. It’s a fun premise; a world disconnected from humanity’s home by Millennia, watched over by immortal guardians with conflicting philosophies for the future of the species.

And in the middle of it all, an ordinary man from a backwoods town is plopped into a position he didn’t ask for, but he’s perfect for the job.

I lov
Charles Gull
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Readers that value colourful descriptions above continuity.
I did finish this book, but it was a struggle.

I picked it up because it seemed like an interesting premise. Unfortunately, it failed to deliver on several (for me) important levels.

The descriptions were certainly colourful and the fight scenes full of handwavium magic blasts. Nevertheless, it all came across as a bit of a hodgepodge with little connectivity. I generally felt like I was flipping through a snapshot album rather than immersing myself in a narrative.
Johanna Randle
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was drawn to Elysia, first from the beautiful cover, and second from the description. A story about technology being confused with magic seemed a great premise. The novel itself was a bit different than what I was expecting. I assumed the story would have a more modern, technology driven (disguised as magic) feel, but instead, it reminded me more of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings mixed with Pirates of the Caribbean.

The author’s writing style was very old school, at least in my opinion, whic
Matthew
May 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Elysia is a novel with an interesting concept that shines from time to time, but more often fails to deliver on it’s promise. There are two issues in particular that could stand improvement to make the story better:

1) Many members of the supporting cast don’t feel fleshed out. Some of them feel like they don’t have any real purpose in the story. As such, they feel like names on a page and not people who’s fate I’m drawn towards. I don’t feel their pain or their struggle. And as a rea
Heather Conrad
A quest for...?

This could have been a great story. The plot is a typical quest story, with stops along the way in some well imagined places. Unfortunately, there are too many characters in the quest party, making it hard to keep up with who is who. Even attrition whittling down the group's numbers doesn't really help this issue.

The other problem is that there is never any clear goal for the quest. There's a *destination,* but no definite goal. This is apparently deliberate, an atte
Jessica Belmont
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-requests
The concept of Elysia is really fantastic. When I read the blurb, I couldn’t wait to get into it. The world building is by far the strongest concept of this novel. I could see myself in this world easily. I loved reading this book for that.

There were some things that irked me a bit. Some of the characters were a bit cookie cutter and didn’t seem to have a ton of reason in the story. I really wanted to love the characters, but I think they needed a bit of fleshing out.

I th
AnneMarie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone on the fence about reading fantasy, or anyone curious about the genre, I highly suggest this book. The author doesn’t build up the
story slowly. The moment you pick up the book it throws you into the premise of the book. You are given a character that you can easily sympathize with. As magic and technology intertwine, the main character is
thrown into a position of power, with no idea how to rule. Francis could keep me engaged in the story and want to find out. There were so
Jodi
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gave up

I couldn't quite get into the story and I gave up at the end of chapter 12. Anaia is the sovereign's guard, and supposedly Will is the new sovereign, yet she treats him like a dumb kid, and frankly I felt like me, the reader, was being treated that way too. It may get better the deeper into the story you go, but I just couldn't get there.
Alistair Ravie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not for me. Really struggled with this story.

• The Van Helsing Paradox
  • The Caged Kingdom (The Unforgiven #1)
  • Dinosaur Lake
  • Interim
  • The Dragon Blood Collection, Books 1-3
  • A Final Farwell
  • Mindguard (The Mindguard Saga, #1)
  • The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #1)
  • The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)
  • Miss Main Street The Complete Series (Miss Main Street, #1-3)
  • Mark One (Midway #1)
  • Werewolf Nights
  • Relics of Andromeda
  • The Tetradome Run
  • TAT
  • Enter The Death Circus
  • First of Their Kind
  • Bisecter (Bisecter #1)
C.C. Francis is an eternal optimist who writes fantasy and sci-fi books. He lives in sunny La Jolla, California. His fiancé is a bookstagrammer (IG:@spinatale), and the two can often be spotted at the local independent bookstore shopping for the latest in the adult and YA fantasy.

Francis once tamed a feral cat named Nicholas. He likes photography, corgis, and the ocean. He's addicted to cold-brew