Start by marking “Heart of Dragons (Chronicles of Pelenor #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Dragons (Chronicles of Pelenor #1)

Heart of Dragons

(Chronicles of Pelenor #1)

A stolen magic. A rising evil. They are pawns in a game they do not understand.
USA Today Bestselling Author and 2018 SPFBO Semi-Finalist Meg Cowley returns with a stunning new epic fantasy trilogy set in the same world as her acclaimed Books of Caledan series.

When orphan Harper discovers a legendary Dragonheart, her life changes forever.

Magically flung to the faraway

Kindle Edition
Published February 19th 2019 by Eldarkin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Dragons

Kevin Potter
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me just start by saying this is my second Meg Cowley book and wow has she stepped it up! The end of this one left me gasping for more!

I loved it so much, I had to listen to it a second time before leaving my review!

Similarly, this is my second Jack Voraces audiobook and it gave me yet more evidence to why he immediately jumped into my 'top ten narrators ever' list!

He does narrate a touch faster than your average narrator, so I listen to him at a slightly lower speed than normal (my standard
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
I was excited to start this series, and am so glad I was able to get an advance copy. I loved the story, and am excited to see more of this series, as well as more of Meg Cowley's work! The characters are well written and complex, and the world-building is beautiful and vivid! I loved seeing how the story would unfold, and how the characters respond to each new development. It made them feel real and alive, and made it so easy to care about them and become invested in the story!
Alison Ingleby
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of this author's books by far! Heart of Dragons grabs you by the heartstrings from page one and doesn't let up until the end. I loved the varied cast of characters, the amazing worldbuilding and the intrigues and plot twists. The author has a way with words that transports you to Pelenor and makes you want to stay. I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Bonnie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! This book grabs you from page one and yanks you into a world filled with amazing scenes. The characters drag you into their peril and take you on adventure filled episodes. Well done Meg Cowley, this is definitely the best book you have written thus far.
maria arcara
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow! I've been aware of Ms. Cowley's writing for a couple of years - have had the Books of Caledan on my to-be-read list for that long - but this is the first time I've actually read one of her works. What a mistake to have waited so long; this is definitely an author I will be keeping an eye on!
I loved the characters she created and found myself empathizing with so many of them despite what side they seem to be on! It's entirely possible that I am rooting for both sides at the same time, I don'
Cody Anne
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of your seat, nail biting, and epic.

Ms. Cowley takes you on an incredible journey to the other side of Caladan. She brings to live a breathtaking world, with a rich history and beautiful world building.
You can't help feel like you're a part of the story, or maybe living as one of the characters.
You start off in Aedon's world and go to different characters as each chapter begins. You don't realize right away that you're not in Caladan, but the other side. MS. Cowley has just made a globe a
Jack Crowther
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Harper finds a stolen Dragonheart she is magically transported to a faraway land and the adventures begin. Finding herself with a band of outcasts who want to take the heart. The Kings spymaster also is looking for the heart with his own plans. In a land of stolen magic Elves and Dragons and a king who wants all the magic and power all this and a rising evil.

Harpers hidden magic has yet to be discovered how can she escape all this when all she wants is to return home. A brilliant written Fa
Stephen Rives
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart of Dragons grabs you from the first chapter and keeps you involved to the very end. Meg's style of writing introduces you to the main characters in such a way that you feel like you know them. Some of their motivations are a mystery making it hard to know what side of the story they're going to end up on.
The story is told from multiply points of view in a fast paced world that you enter from the very beginning.
I can't wait for the next in the series.
Shauna Joesten
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a Fantastic read. Wow this grabs you from the first page. And has you on the edge of your seat. This takes you on a Journey in a world of Magic and Fantasy. I loved this Epic read. I haven't read much by this Author, but she really brings an epic read that is definitely a must read. She brings out the Characters personalities and the background, that makes this fantastic read epic
Shauna Joesten
Gayreth Walden
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific beginning to a new series in the world of Caledan. After reading this book I am totally invested in the characters already. Harper, Aedon, Dimitri and the other wonderful characters!. This book is extremely well written with a cast of engaging and complex characters. The storyline is fascinating and enchanting from page one to the last page. An epic journey of magic and adventure with plenty of action and twists and turns, twists and turns that caught me completely off guard! (I was c ...more
Peta
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book, Meg Cowley's words brought the characters to life and I quickly found myself invested in all of them, rarely have I been so engaged by all the characters in a book and wanting to know all their stories. Such complexities in the characters and story line but an effortless enjoyable read as the development and flow of the adventure is beautifully done. I can't wait for the rest of the series to be available. I wish my words about the book could be as expressive as the book itself. I ...more
Fiona Andrew
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a rollercoaster. Totally awesome and full of adventure, elves, dwarves, a man who has wings and of course dragons. Harper’s life changes forever when she finds an unusual looking stone. The author describes all the characters in a descriptive and succinct manner and her world building is amazing. We are in the same world as Caladan but in a totally different area. Grab your drink, curl up and find out how Harper survives this leg of her journey. Highly recommend.
Scott
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super Fantastic Meg Cowley has definitely got herself a winner here , this is a start to a new series that is going to blow people away . I literally could not put this down , and when I did I thought about it and when I finished I kept thinking about it , it's been along time since I've had a book stay with me like that . You will love the characters they are great . I want you to buy this book and I know when you start it you will be so glad you did . I can not wait for book number two . Did I ...more
Carolyn
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart of Dragons is a book that will grab you from page one and sends you on a thrilling adventure! Aedon; elf thief, Harper ; a rescued waif with more hidden in soul than she can imagine. Dimitri; elf with a chip on his shoulder. Saradon; the beautiful evil and Dimitri's undoing. ,The Draonheart; a stone of great magic and everyone wants it. ! This is a great tale with characters you'll love ( or hate) with a world filled with adventure and thrills,evils and what a plot!! This is a book you won ...more
Susan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An epic magical adventure. Who can the orphan Harper trust? And what is her history? Great characters and a twisty plot with with elves, dragons, dragon riders, aerians, and palace intrigues galore. Recommended.
Jim Phillips
An excellent epic fantasy that was well written and had a great storyline. Good world building with characters that were well developed and interesting. Contains a complex plot with several twists and turns and was very hard to put down. Fantasy readers will love this epic fantasy adventure that is full of magic. A very enjoyable read.
dennis youngblood
This book made my stay in the hospital bearable ☺ I LOVE each characters attitude towards Harper's situation, towards life in general and the friendships they've found with each other (despite their sometimes extreme attitude differences) lol
The plot builds up to the point where your left okay with the end of book one, but it's still a cliffhanger leaving you crazy waiting for book two so you can see what happens next!! Love this book!!
Andrew Shortall
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm relatively new to Ms. Cowley's writing, but I'm glad I took the plunge. Although it's slightly outside of my more preferred genre, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Beautifully written with complex and well developed characters, you can't help but be drawn into the world of Harper as she goes about her epic quest. Plenty of plot twists and action, along with immersive world-building and imagery, kept me captivated from start to finish! I'm off now to go and discover more of Ms. Cowley's work!

I
Shannon
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story with a complex plot that keeps you interested until the end and well written characters.
T.J. Mayhew
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, great characters. Can't wait for the next book in the series!
Steph Warren
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free ARC of this novel, with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Heart of Dragons touches down briefly in Caledan (familiar from the ‘Crown’ series by this author) before settling the action in the kingdom of Pelenor, where magic reigns supreme and lack of magic is a weakness and source of shame.

Although plucky orphan Harper is our main hero, we have a trilogy of main characters to follow, with Aedan and Dimitri also in the mix as plot catalysts
Lana
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow Meg Cowley does it again with this her first book in a new series which really blew me away, she weaves a tale which is both enchanting and thrilling at the same time and though it is a long story I read it in two sittings mostly at the edge of my seat. Our principal character Harper is a poor young girl living in Caledon, working for a miserly pittance that barely keeps her and the old crone she looks after alive. One fine night she chances on a stone which seemed to call out to her in the ...more
Kristen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tale starts off with a haunting visage of Tir-na-Alathea where no one could leave if the forest did not allow. Here we find Aedon trying to flee capture amongst the living trees with his stolen prize.

Harper is a human from Caledan, a place nearly void of magic. After finding something straight out of one of her fairytales she finds herself leagues away in another country and in the midst of a group of outcasts and thieves. She finds that her past is more complex with ties to this new place full
The Mysterious Reader
Meg Cowley has a proven track record of putting out well-written and fun books, so I was happy to see that she’s started a new series, Chronicles of Pelenor. No surprise that based on its first book, Heart of Dragons, this looks like another winner. Fans of “Sword & Sorcery” novels will love this opening chapter of a new epic fantasy. A perfectly crafted world full of magic, dragons, and elves. A great cast of characters led by deliciously complex Harper and Dimitri. A great read all around. ...more
bookgeek607
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right from the start Meg Cowley pulls you in for one heck of an adventure!

Every page is action and adventure for Harper, Aedon, and his eclectic group of misfits she meets along the way. Let’s not forget the spymaster Dimitri and the vile king in that mix.

Any fantasy lover who picks this book up will love it! Between dragons, elves, a greedy king, being pulled to another land and so many different aspects of magic, what’s not to love?

I hands down can not wait to see where Meg takes this series
Mat
What a great beginning to a new series. While this series is very closely related to the previous one, The Books of Caledan, and even holds references to Caledan as a far away land, it is mostly set in a new world, Pelenor. Being someone who has not read the Books of Caledan I did not feel like I missed anything at all by starting here in Pelenor.
There was plenty of action to go around in this first book and it is fast paced. Heart wrenching turns, gut twisting fights, stomach dropping twists, i
Karen M
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this first book of the Chronicles of Pelenor. I had great hopes for this new series since I read the Caledan books with much enjoyment. I liked that this book felt familiar but still introduced a new feel with exciting new characters.

As the story unfolded I found that Meg had brought such a strong sense to her characters that I understood why they made the decisions they did. I am so looking forward to the next book. I think Meg Crowley is an awesome author, one of my favorites to be sur
Milian Glafira
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I literally couldn't stop reading once I started!! Only stopped to get my dog out to pee😍😍 I forgive "lady Cowley" for luring me to read it before all parts are available 😋😉
Unlikely allies to save a people from evil? What can go wrong... I thought the concept sounded silly at first but she's such an amazing writer to be able to catch you at first page! Please read it immediately!!
Natalia Navarro
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start of the series!!!... Meg had created a wonderful world of magic, action, intrigue, conspiracies, friendship, loyalty; unpredictable twists and turns; AMAZING characters and story line... are the "bad" guys really bad?, you will be surprised. Get on board of Harper adventures in this incredible book, won't be disappointed.
Suzanne G
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The characters are realistic, complex and interact with others in a believable fashion. The story moves at a great pace and while you are given pertinent information about the world (both surrounds and political/social) you are not bogged down in pages of descriptions that detract from the story.

Looking forward to the next book in this series.
« previous 1 3 next »
www.megcowley.com - My website!

I'm Meg, an indie author/illustrator living in Yorkshire, England with my husband and our two cats.

I have my parents to thank for my vivid imagination – they fed my early reading addiction to the point where I spent years inhabiting the school library and hiding under the covers at night with a torch, unable to stop reading. I’ve loved reading and writing fantasy /