Start by marking “How to Save the World For Free” as Want to Read:
How to Save the World For Free

How to Save the World For Free

There is no greater aspiration than saving the world. Natalie Fee's upbeat and engaging book is a life-altering guide to making those changes that will contribute to helping our planet. Covering all key areas of our lives, from food and leisure to travel and sex, Natalie will galvanize you to think and live differently. You will feel better, live better, and ultimately bre ...more
Published October 21st 2019 by Laurence King Publishing

To ask other readers questions about How to Save the World For Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Save the World For Free

Start your review of How to Save the World For Free
Jadey (the Bookish)
A concise environmental read outlining changes you can make to become more eco-friendly in all areas of your life!

I really liked the section about being sustainable in regards to having periods, and I loved that the wording was inclusive to trans people who have them too. I thought there were a lot of good ideas in here, and I thought that how the book was organised into different areas of our lives was a really good idea. Also, it's great that 10% of proceeds of this book will go to charity!!
Max
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biology, net-galley
Very practical book on things we can do to help resist climate change. Some of these are very easy to do and to incorporate in your daily life. Some are not totally free to do but can require an investment like water saving taps in the bathroom. Great and clear explanation of the things we need to protect and backed up with research. The writing style is easy to follow and fun. I think everyone should read this book. Loved the illustrations!

Thank you to the publisher for an ARC via NetGalley.
rachel ☾
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 3-star
quick thoughts:

• a well-structured, easy-to-read guide for people just looking into the topic for the first time
• i did learn a bit and liked some of the more unconventional chapters, like about banking
• but there was so much general, abstract advice with no practical steps mentioned, so i could actually go out and make these changes without a lot of further research... which kind of defeats the point imo??
• (she did provide links and further reading & watch lists at the back though, so we'd at
Cláudia Correia
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I’ve made two lists while I was reading this book “things to change ASAP” and “things to invest in the future”. So let’s do this and save the world.
Hannah
Nov 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ecolit
EDIT: Knocking this down to one star because it sucks. It is a book with an anti-capitalism title that amounts to "buy this, not that," over and over and over again, never escaping the "ethical shopping" paradigm that helps people feel better in short term, small scale, individualistic ways, rather than forcing us all to acknowledge the totalizing grip that capitalism has on our every action—the system that got us into this mess to start with.

---

A title like How to Save the World For Free promis
Maria Spillane
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
I dont generally read nonfiction books, but like many others, in the past few years I have become increasingly worried about the environment and what the future will hold for humanity if we continue on our current trajectory. There has been a lot more media coverage about the climate crisis lately, so this book is coming out at a great time for those who are aware of the disaster we are facing, but who feel hopeless to do anything about it.

How to save the world for free is a brilliant guide for
Vivienne
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Laurence King Publishing Ltd for a digital edition via NetGalley of ‘How to Save the World for Free’ by Natalie Fee in exchange for an honest review.

Written by environmental campaigner Natalie Fee, this is a guide on how to make small practical changes in our everyday lives in order to help the environment and save the planet.

It opens with a section on ‘seven things we need to save’ that includes the oceans, rivers, trees, the soil, the air, plants and animals and us. After this she
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This is an amazing, practical guide of how to begin to make changes in your life, small changes that aren’t hard but will make a difference to the planet. It’s hard to know where to start and that’s where this book is so useful, full of practical suggestions, great chapters and subheading for different sections, it’s easy to navigate and even easier to understand. Yes, not all is completely free, but will save you money long term and more importantly could help save the planet. Great practical a ...more
L.
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is probably more of a 3.5? I'm unsure what to rate this, especially since there were some parts I agreed with and some parts I really didn't. So, I'm just going to do a list which is the way I normally do my reviews lately:

Things I Didn't Like -

- It was trans-inclusive in the language used to refer to menustration, which is a good thing, but the studies it linked too were women-orientated which felt like it was defeating the point of including trans people in the first place. As a non-bin
Alicia Bayer
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short, helpful book on ways to make a real difference for the world and environment in all different ways, from at play to in politics. There's even a section on how to save the world in the bedroom. While a lot of the tips were standard for me (though not some of the bedroom ones), I've been an environmentalist for a long time and would expect as much.

Fee is cheerful and enthusiastic, and while she gives sobering, saddening and infuriating information throughout the book, the ultimat
Emma Cox
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgally
If you’re looking for a simple book which succinctly sums up the growing problem of climate change and how you can help, this is an excellent book to start with. If you’ve never considered the environmental impact your lifestyle has on the planet, then this book will probably be a real eye opener and will enable you to make lots of small changes which are beneficial to the planet. However, anyone who already makes an effort to minimise the impact their lifestyle choices have on the environment w ...more
Em Yarnell
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I have been learning a lot recently about the environmental impact on plastics, recycling or lack of it. It's both eye opening and fascinating. I always thought I was a fish swimming upstream. I dind't know how to make changes that would truly benefit the world we live in. How could I as one person make an impact. But that's the thing with this book. Its engaging and uplifting. I'm not just one person I am one of many. I already use water bottles that are reuseable an ...more
James Minter
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Natalie Fee's 'How to Save the World for Free' is essential reading for…well, everyone. Natalie knows all too well, like other environmental campaigners, that sceptics, deniers, and doubters and even the everyday householder who is too busy with life, that the climate emergency is not real for them, and it's just a way large corporates, using fear, uncertainty and doubt, to get people to spend on replacement technology or other stuff that they may not want or need – hence her emphasis on saving ...more
Jenny
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok so where to start? I think this is one of the most important books I've read recently if not at all!

While it first covers which things we need to save (oceans, forests, the atmosphere, rivers, soil, plants & animals and OURSELVES!) it shows solutions all the way. Step by step it inspires to think about how you could change your daily routine to a more eco friendly one. There is a chapter for every part that could need some improvement like "how to save the world while.." you eat, you drink, y
Rachel
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
The more I reflect on the book I question my opinion on it and the original 4 stars I gave it. It was a good book.

Positives:
The book was formatted well, easy to read through and process, advice was practical, environmental concepts were well researched and explained clearly. They were mostly easy little things to change, I suppose. I was engaged and some of the advice peaked my interest as it seemed attainable.

Negatives:
It opens with 7 aspects of the environment that are important and we need
Emily Blackledge
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible book! After deciding that I need to become more environmentally conscious I bought How To Save The World For Free, as I follow Natalie Fee on social media and have always enjoyed her approach to tackling environmental issues - she doesn't lecture, she educates in a refreshing and positive style.

How To Save The World is delivered in the style that I would expect from Natalie - fun, friendly, lighthearted and beautifully written but it hits home all the harsh facts. We have mad
Kaye
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An easy read on a tough topic. At times a little skimmable, but overall I did find this book useful. One thing I liked was that she broke things down into the ocean, soil, air, etc. She mentioned the areas that are in trouble, and then she goes into ways we can make small changes to hopefully make a larger impact. For example, I like how she talks about avoiding Palm Oil. I've been seeing more and more on these huge areas of land are being taken over for the cultivation of this, and they do not ...more
Anne Janzer
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you feel overwhelmed and distressed by the state of the environment and powerless in the face of global forces, pick up this book. In this upbeat and even entertaining guide, Fee takes a tour of the many decisions we make that have an impact on the environment. You'll find guidance and helpful suggestions regarding on everything from what you wear to what you eat, to how you sleep, have sex, bathe, and entertain yourself.

What I love about this book is its relentlessly positive attitude. Fee
Johanna Russell
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book includes very necessary and clear explanations of the extent of our environmental issues, and examples of daily choices to improve our personal environmental impact. Beginning with slightly miserable explanations of the current state of the environment, it easily shows the importance of taking action. However it moves on to explore many manageable ways to 'save the world'.
It covers a wide range of lifestyle changes that are environmentally conscious, however I found that as someone wh
Saskia
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Good intro into ways to live a more sustainable life, although nothing mind-boggling new if you're already trying to be more green, and tips could easily be found through articles or videos online. I found some tips questionable...peeing in a jar for women to avoid the hormones from the pill getting into the ocean is a bit extreme!? Also very UK/US-centric, and catered to a high consumerist lifestyle with access to many of the schemes mentioned.
The biggest shortcoming is probably that many tips
Amit Verma
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before I start to discuss details, I just want to say that it is a wonderful book.
Book that every teenager should read so that their behaviour is modified for good and we may collectively stem the damage being done to our planet.
Almost all we know we need to act to save planet and ourselves; but few know how late we are already and possibly entering a phase from where things would be irreversible.
Book is simple, enjoyable, crisp and divided into relevant chapters.
You learn that without spendin
Claire Herbaux
Topical, funny and user-friendly.
Whether you are already trying to be green (beyond recycling correctly that is) or whether this is all new to you, there will be something to learn and take away.
Let's start with a staggering fact though: "In the case of straws, coffee cups, lids and stirrers, we're using a material which lasts forever, to make things we'll use for only a few seconds."
So yes, there is a problem. With plastic and many, many other aspects of our every day life.
While you may not
Andrzej
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Despite a rather depressive topic this book nicely combines pleasure of reading with effectiveness of learning. It is mainly due to a very approachable "youthful" style and clear content layout. Actually, we start off directly with a conclusion, namely, "Saving the world can be much more fun than you could ever imagine". This puts the whole topic into a completely different frame than in most other publications on this theme.
At the same time, it rises the bar for the author to a pretty high lev
Christina
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finally an eco book that proves there are still so many things we can do to help change the world for the better. It has eased my eco anxiety massively (once surviving the introduction) and shown so many practical things that I have already started to try and make habits of. The way it is written is fact based and practical for modern living. It was truly inspiring for me and I hope many others read this. As someone who is conscious of the environment (and I imagine a large portion of people who ...more
Lucy-Bookworm
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book that fits well with Greta Thunberg's current campaigns & the focus on the environment. It's easy to read & understand and has some very practical tips. Not everything is doable all at once but if we each make a small change, those small changes add up to big changes.
It is split into sections looking at the impact on the oceans, forests, atmosphere etc and then tackles how we can make small differences with what we eat, what we use etc.
It definitely makes you think ...

Disclosure:
Jackson
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is easy to consume and you can jump around from chapter to chapter without following them in order but as what you find more interest in and that you can benefit from. The writer is from the UK and so there were some parts that I looked up my own local resources, for example GoodGym.org does not exist in Australia however there are similar MeetUp.com communities.

If you are looking for a book to help you change habits, learn about different ways you can have an impact or just facts aro
Catherine
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You think you know everything about climate change. Well think again!
This informative book taught me a think or two. The first section is on how the world is falling into the crisis. From deforestation to eroding soil.
The second part is more on the way we can make a change.
If everyone only did 5-10 things listed in the book imagine what a better world could could live in.
Well done Natalie Fee on a fabulous book.
Roda
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
So many missed opportunities to discuss the global south, a lot of the suggestions and topics were aimed at middle class global north individuals. It really irked me, this is the type of novel people think of when they say environmentalism is inaccessible. I thought with this title it would be radical, anti-capitalist but it often falls into the trap of still encouraging purchases but just ‘sustainable’ ones..
Kirsten is tired
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A helpful, can-do guide on all of the little ways you can help the environment. Yes, industry and governments could have a much greater effect, but if you make changes, and I make changes, and my neighbour makes changes, and your friends make changes we can all make a different. The planet is dying. Here are a few ways to save it, one actionable item at a time.
Naza
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I am personally trying to change my lifestyle and being more environmentally conscious, I found this book really insightful and well researched.

Despite knowing quite a lot of the topics covered,I got to know new tips that I can use on a daily basis.

I would totally recommend this book for ‘newbies’, a perfect gift for a birthday or for Christmas!

• Turning the Tide on Plastic: How Humanity (And You) Can Make Our Globe Clean Again
  • The Sustainable(ish) Living Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Make Small Changes That Make a Big Difference
  • Back to Nature: How to love life - and save it
  • Minimal: How to simplify your life and live sustainably
  • How to Give Up Plastic: A Guide to Changing the World, One Plastic Bottle at a Time
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
  • Akin
  • Mooncakes
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • The Joyful Environmentalist
  • The Familiars
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • The Thorn Girl
  • Good Food Gratitude
  • Voice Of The Blood (Voice of Blood, #1)
  • The Children's Block: Based on a True Story by an Auschwitz Survivor
Natalie Fee is an award-winning environmentalist, author, speaker and founder of City to Sea, a UK-based organisation running campaigns to stop plastic pollution at source. Her new book, How to Save the World for Free, is a #1 Amazon bestseller (not that buying or selling on Amazon is a good thing, but at least it’s hitting the mainstream!). Natalie also sits on the Bristol Advisory Committee for ...more

News & Interviews