Start by marking “I’m a Gay Wizard (Gay Wizard, #1)” as Want to Read:
I’m a Gay Wizard (Gay Wizard, #1)

I’m a Gay Wizard

(Gay Wizard #1)

You try magic once and it sticks to you like glitter glue . . .

When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holidays dabbling in magic, they never expect it to have consequences. Sure, it’d be great if they could banish bullies or change their lives for the better, and what harm could come from lighting a few candles and chanting a few spells? W
Published October 29th 2019 by Wattpad Books (first published February 11th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about I’m a Gay Wizard, please sign up.
Bash the Fash I've read the book and the similarities begin and end with the wizards being gay.

Start your review of I’m a Gay Wizard (Gay Wizard, #1)
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
INTERESTING PREMISE, POOR EXECUTION

Actual rating: 2.5 ⭐

I was so excited for this book mainly because if the title - I mean, how can you not get excited about a book about a gay wizard who so openly claims his sexuality that the books is named after it?! Sadly, it had a lot of issues that made it hard to love this book as much as I wanted to.

"Just two guys riding a unicorn. Nothing gay about that."

THE THINGS I LIKED

Queer representation: Johnny is gay. Alison is transgender. Hunter is a little unsure of his sexuali/>Queer/>/>Actual
Bash the Fash
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a queer reader, one of the most significant problems in modern YA is the lack of own voices, gay, fantasy novels. That doesn't mean that none exist, but LGBTQ novels have leaned toward being contemporary and issue-based. V.S. Santoni goes a long way in correcting this error. Historically gay fantasy has been dominated by people that by their very orientations can't understand, not truly, what it means to be a gay person. This is embodied by Rainbow Rowell's Carry On. I get why some people enjoy ...more
Tasha Leigh
Aug 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, arc
I would warn any person who reads this novel that the language and behaviour of multiple characters within this novel will be triggering. It features homophobia, horrendous bullying, fat shaming, transphobia and child abuse among other things.

Having seen the whirlwind involving this novel prior to requesting, I was so excited to be able to read it. After around the first 5%, that excitement was extremely quickly dwindling. The frequent use of homophobic slurs and constant bullying of
Jessica | Booked J
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
(Between a 1.5, 2 or 2.5 star rating.) Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

When I saw the title of this book I was somewhere between secondhand embarrassment (it is one of those titles that I'm just not super into, like I MARRIED MY BEST FRIEND or THE BAD BOY'S RIGHT SHOULDER BLADE or whatever) and intrigue. The intrigue won out because, he
Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
*UPDATE 12JUL19* GUESS WHO GOT AN ARC!?

description

this cover sucked me in so hard i broke my keyboard at work requesting this from netgalley.
Coltostallion
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This concept had a lot of potential, but it didn't live up to it. While not tagged as a YA book, it really felt like one. The single sex scene was particularly childish and just didn't feel like it felt in a novel for adults. The writing was uneven. Sometimes good and sometimes less so. I would assume there's still some rounds of editing to go after the ARC I read considering there were s scattered throughout. The pacing was all over the place as well but was mostly just way too fast. It felt li ...more
Gillian
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I adored this book! It was everything I could have ever wanted from a book called “I’m a Gay Wizard”. I loved the characters and I enjoyed their growth throughout the story.

This book really made me want more and I was excited when I saw that it will continue! I cannot wait for more Hunter and Johnny! They are so sweet and awkward and I love them so much!
Aditi
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! I was cheering for the main couple throughout and I loved Allison a little bit too much, haha. It wasn't a five star read, and I had originally intended to read it in June (which didn't happen), but it was fun to read!
V.S. Santoni
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'M A GAY WIZARD is a magical coming-of-age love story about finding love, and finding yourself, in the worst of circumstances.

The story follows our protagonist Johnny, and his best friend Alison, as they navigate the troubling seas of identity after being kidnapped by the menacing Marduk Institute, an organization billing itself as a magic school.

Sometimes, the greatest monsters we face are the ones in our own hearts, and sometimes, the greatest magic we can wield is love.

Content warnings. I
Lauren Swords
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read an arc of this book on net galley.. it was tagged as adult which doesn’t seem to fit right. It seems to me to read as a YA novel and when I googled the title it came up as YA fiction so that what I’m going to judge it as. The world building is wonderful and the story is a fun and hopeful romance. I loved Johnny and the novels frank honesty about the Awkwardness of adolescences and first loves. I’ve read some commentary about the dialogue being there for jokes. I like the dialogue being pith ...more
Simon Fennex
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with an early copy of this book to review. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced by this opportunity.

This was such a fresh and fun read that I wanted to do for pride month. I loved the writing style since it wasn't too pretentious (in a very good way). I found the characters likeable and overall interesting.
It's not the book of the year by all means. It did entertain me though!
Victoria Robinson
Jun 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
Cool concept, not so cool execution. While I know that this is an advanced reading copy and things will be more ship-shape in the final copy, this still read like something pulled straight from Wattpad.
DNF
Suzanne Christensen
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read! Wish it was a bit longer because it really didn't explain all I would have wished but hopefully there is a sequel.
Jamie Coudeville
I can't but compare any book featuring a magic school to Harry Potter. Sorry, it's just how my brain works. But I quickly realized bot books have very little in common. Instead of "yay, magic school" it's "oh no, magic school", since it's clear from the beginning that the people at the school are not the good guys. I really liked the MC, wish we could've seen a bit more of his best friend Alison. Curious to see what happens next.
Adelle R.
Tak jo. Nakonec to zas tak špatný nebylo.

--------------------------------------------
To be perfectly honest; I am very, very skeptical when it comes to Wattpad. I believe that we can find truly great stories in there, but... you know, 90 % is a trash. I wanted to read an LGBT novel, that's why I gave Gay Wizard a chance. And, as I said, as it's from Wattpad, I didn't have high hopes. But? In the end, it was better than I thought.

The main protagonist is Johnny, whose
Cami Franceschi
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Enlgish/Español review.

People should stop judging stories or books just because they come from Wattpad, because they miss stories like these.
What I liked most about the book is that they used the element of magic in a more original way than what I'm used to reading. Let's see, the general of the school of magic and young people with powers is there, but I feel that the author took a very different direction and I loved it. The whole subject of the school and the rebels became s
Carrie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

There were parts of this book I enjoyed, and parts I did not, but overall, I found it easy to read and interesting.

My favorite part of this book was the friendship between Johnny and Alison. They had their own, tiny little family, and adored each other. Their scenes remain my favorite and I love all this history and backstory that has them bonded and all of their interactions are heartwarming, in one way or another.

J
Pamela
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a Gay Wizard is a delightfully creative book about so many things: high school drama, bullies, prejudices, discrimination, first love, best friends, angst, and, of course, wizardry.

The author has skillfully written a book that creates a real world for teens who are different. Johnny is gay and Alison, his best friend, is a trans. They face harassment every day at school and ends when the bullies beat them up at a bus stop. Alison finds a spell book that will give them the means to take thei
Katrina Ayala
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m a Gay Wizard - there’s so much about this book I liked and some things I didn’t love. I gave it a 3/5 stars. While I appreciate the queerness and the visibility of a trans person - there was some thinks lacking in character development for me. The world building was a little iffy but I could overlook that. However, I will offer up a trigger warning for the gay hate crime that appears early on in the story. I’m not upset about that, because queer people do experience these types of situations ...more
Jason S Wrench
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
OK, so I wasn't completely sure what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised that this book didn't rely on some of the wizarding tropes that exist out there. Sure, the main character gets sucked inside a wizarding world and ends up attending a wizarding academy, but this place is no Hogwarts.

The reading was delightful and kept me guessing what would happen next. In this regards, it's similar to another famous wizarding series. In many respects, the central character's sexuality is almost a b
Rosina
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, fantasy, arcs
I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The title of this book really says it all.

I'm a Gay Wizard focuses on Johnny and his best friend Alison. After accidentally causing an earthquake the pair are kidnapped and taken to an institute for wizards where they meet new people and try to escape.

This book was pretty entertaining. The world building could do with a little work but the magic system is pretty interesting an
Virginia
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5⭐. got an ARC of this from netgalley—and I gotta say I have some pretty strong mixed feelings here! let me be verryyy clear that this is a WATTPAD Original and so, I feel like you kinda know from the beginning what kinda cringe you might be encountering! that said, it’s own voices, a very original and engaging concept, and easy to read (it’s also, obviously, very gay). the very effusive depiction of the romance in this is actually probably my least favorite part tbh, and I found myself starti ...more
Samuel
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really don’t know what to say about this novel except that I had fun reading it. It’s one of those types of books that was like a carnival. It’s fun, made me smile, and I’d like another go next time it arrives in town. That’s what I expected from a book with a neon unicorn on the cover. Gay cotton candy.

4.5
Katie Thomas
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book! Can't wait for the next piece of work From this author.
Claire
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it

I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Oh boy, this one was a huge miss for me.
It was just far too disjointed, flitting from scene to scene without really building on anything. Nothing really made sense, and the overall atmosphere was confusing and irritating.
I feel like this book focused too heavily on being camp as fuck and the plot really suffered.

I can’t believe weclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Carol
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I have voluntarily reviewed this book after receiving a free copy from NetGalley, thank you!

I’m a Gay Wizard is about a young Latino guy called Johnny and his friend Allison, who after trying to cast a magic spell to get revenge on their bullies, end up taken away to an Institute where, as they are told, wizards are trained. Their families have memories about them erased and they are not allowed to go home, all in the name of their safety. Needless to say, they’re not too
Beta
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This came as a surprise. It started as „Why not?“ and surprised me with it’s fine writing and intriguing story. Well done!!
Kristel
A bit random, rushed, and what was that ending?? I need answers, and more info. A little bit more insight would've been appreciated. It felt like it lacked something; the characters weren't really developed. I liked the story, I want to read a sequel if it comes out, but I want more clarity and development.
The book was cute, the magic system interesting, the twists surprising, the characters had potential. I enjoyed it. But more, a little bit more would elevate the book to 4 stars!
Audrey
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this as an ARC from Netgalley

I thought it was ok. I love the idea and parts of it were great but overall it was just ok.

I really enjoyed the characters and liked their relationships. The setting was another plus and the whole magical world concept was cool and well thought out.

In the cons section, it felt very unfinished. Not in the way some ARCs are where there's formatting or typos to fix. The whole plot felt unfinished and hard to follow sometimes. They also did this
Em (Diversify Your Shelf)
TW: homophobia and transphobia (and related bullying and violence)

"I'm a Gay Wizard" is a really fun book and definitely something that YA (and fiction in general) needs more of-- people not being white, cis, and hetero and that being an integral part of the story but not the main plot point. Johnny is very much not straight and there are issues in the book relating to him being gay but the plot of the book is that he and his friend Alison (mtf) have accidentally become wizards. Afte
« previous 1 3 next »

• What Happened That Night
  • Reverie
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • All the Better Part of Me
  • Trapeze
  • Cupid's Match
  • The QB Bad Boy and Me
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • The Infinite Noise
  • Lost and Found
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • Waking Up the Sun
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Monster of the Week (The Rules #2)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
"V.S. Santoni is a Latinx, gay, nonbinary guy who spends way too much time daydreaming. When he isn’t thinking up queer dreampunk stories and scouring YouTube for retro-anime movies, he’s sobbing to sad, old punk songs with his best friend, a Chihuahua named Darla. He lives in Nashville with his husband."

Gay Wizard (2 books)
  • Queer Magic (Gay Wizard, #2)