Start by marking “9 Lessons in Brexit” as Want to Read:
9 Lessons in Brexit

9 Lessons in Brexit

“Remember the words of Ivan Rogers the next time you hear some plausible posh boy in a suit telling you ‘no deal’ wouldn’t hurt at all and might even be a jolly good thing.” J.K. Rowling

Two and a half years after Britain voted to leave the European Union, the political debate over Brexit seems as intense and as complicated as ever. Who and what can we trust? And how on ear

Published February 7th 2019 by Short Books

To ask other readers questions about 9 Lessons in Brexit, please sign up.
Bert Bruins For a diplomat Ivan Rogers is pretty scathing about the Brexiters' fantasies, that he is certain will face the wall of realities, even if they got to…moreFor a diplomat Ivan Rogers is pretty scathing about the Brexiters' fantasies, that he is certain will face the wall of realities, even if they got to have another go at negotiating a deal... A realist, not a fantasist...(less)

Maru Kun
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-uk, current-affairs
This not a long book, so it should be easy to pass on a samizdat copy to a Remainer brother out of sight of the UKIP guards while everyone is busy drinking that day's bowl of chlorinated chicken soup and taking a break from digging up our local British turnips from a field somewhere in Brexit East Anglia a decade from now.

Amid all the technical discussion on WTO, Customs Unions, Canada+++ there is one short passage I will bring to my future comrade's attention:
"...we are dealing with a politica
Jake Danby
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short fact filled book which cuts through the ideologies of Remain and Leave to leave you with the truth. Inspired me to read more diplomats in future.
Colin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oof!
Colin
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am sorry to say that I was disappointed in this essay. I appreciate that it is based on a lecture and has the stylist qualities of a piece delivered in that fashion. Nevertheless, I found it long on assertion and short on hard, statistical information to support the various arguments. I respect the author as an expert in the EU and can understand his frustration at having been removed from his post when the PM started to implement the 2016 Referendum. However, I was hoping to find much clearer ...more
Stephen Morrissey
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quagmire: few, if any, words in the English language better capture the current state of Brexit politics today. If talk of Brexit and backstops have induced a headache, then Sir Ivan Rogers' pamphlet-like book is a much-needed dose of ibuprofen to alleviate the pain and whisk away the illusions of past drunken dreams.

Sir Ivan competently and judiciously shows how the fallacies of Leavers, as well as Remainers, has led Britain into dire straits. While the current climate is obviously not ideal, S
Simon Howard
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An extended essay (90 smallish pages) on Brexit by Britain's former Permanent Representative to the EU.

Commendably clear explanations of why much of what is said by both people on both sides of the Brexit debate is woefully incorrect, all wrapped in a blistering attack on the Government's entire approach to Brexit negotiations (which have resulted in "an obviously bad deal"). It's a forceful essay, but which sheds quite a lot of light alongside the heat.

Rogers says we need more honesty with th
Mark Asquith
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
The belief that power is more important than competitive advantage

‘What, really, are these “equivalence” and “adequacy” stories about? They are the EU projecting power–which it does quite as well as, and probably more effectively than, Washington, in multiple critical regulatory areas–and using its pooling of internal sovereignty to impose its values and standards well beyond its borders....‘Going global’, unless it’s purely an empty slogan, is precisely the ability to project both force and inf
Dom
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A simultaneously reassuring and frightening battle cry for "serious substance not plausible bullshit" in this period of a historic clusterfuck. Reassuring since the author rigorously distils facts and guidance where beliefs and incompetence rue the day. Frightening since it casts a glaring light on how disorderly, bogged down and stacked with incompetence the current situation is. Rather flabbergasting to think that this is happening in the country that not so long ago was an empire the sun neve ...more
Carys
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ivan Rogers is clearly incredibly well versed in all things EU, and he writes very level-headed. You can see in some parts of the book, he attempts to be neutral and it does make the book more approachable. Overall, the book was really insightful and interesting. Although it didn’t contain a great deal of new information, it explains the complex problems in detail and highlights some less obvious truths.
Amy Alice
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Brexit is a shit show. This eloquently discusses exactly why it was only ever doomed to fail, no matter what. Docked a star because it assumed a lot of knowledge, which is fine, I coped, but I felt the title leaned towards people expecting more explanation of Brexit too? Some of the terms were glossed over.
Bert Bruins
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Condensed, to the point and incisive critique of the last few years of Brexit negotiations by the former top civil servant, and former UK ambassador to the EU. Here is someone, you can tell, who has tried to stay out of the limelight for most of his career, but feels obliged to tell his side of the story in these Alice in Wonderland times...
Tom Richards
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short but not sweet. More like extremely acerbic. Very damning of the uk political class for not being either intelligent enough to understand, or brave enough to explain, the real implications of Brexit. Required reading.
Anne
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God help us all!

Fascinating, enlightening, honest and terrifying... As a Remainer, I am not sure if I should just go off somewhere private and shoot myself. This should be required reading for everyone.
Gabriele Siino
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short and intense read.

Very precise and interesting.

Beyond ideological and political opinions, facts should be considered in a more careful and considerate way. Ivan Rogers is a master in doing that.
Rae
Still trying to wrap my head around all this Brexit business -- difficult at best as it changes almost daily. Rogers' POV is "if you leave the EU then be prepared for the inevitable consequences and don't complain that it isn't a more pleasant process" -- Of course it isn't! Interesting.
gareth moxom
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great short book on eu realities

If you want some real reality on the difficulties the UK faced, and faces, leaving the EU; read this. Great short book
Steve Delo
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and authoritative.
MALCOLM FRASER
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pretty sober analysis

I would have liked to see citations and references so I could check sources even though it's a summary of his logic. Still, the logic is pretty sound.
John Mullen
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short realistic read. Not convinced that there should not be a second referendum
Neil Fulwood
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unsparing essay that cuts through the hyperbole, opacity and outright dishonesty that has characterised the national debate around Brexit, and delivers some commendable straight-talking.
Steve Gillway
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brexity
Clear rational thought from a bone fide expert that helps wade through the emotional torment of Brexit
Ailsa
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
Excellent book, which should be required reading for all politicians.
Scott
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There have been few books I could recommend to those wanting to separate fact from fiction on Brexit. This book is definitely one that I could. It’s worth the time to read and could certain educate a lot out there.
cynthia jones
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear and concise

This clarifies , without scaremongering exactly what Brexit could mean and how our politicians have failed us in every way.
Bernhard Brouwer
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended BREXIT reading

Clear summary of indeed the key lessons the UK needs to learn for the next phase of the negotiations. Very easy read.
Suzy Sparrowe
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to aid understanding of the real risks of doing this stupidity.
Daniel Lambauer
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
interesting brief book, a copy of the lecture serie, laying out the choices the UK has to make from the perspective of an ex-civil servant.
Henry
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A succinct, immensely powerful broadside from someone (the UK’s former man in Brussels) who really knows what he’s talking about. Effortlessly cuts through all the cant of the last three years. Should be handed out gratis to every member of the UK electorate.
Bryan
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: current-affairs
In the most clear-eyed analysis of Brexit to date, former British diplomat Ivan Rogers is remorseless in identifying the flawed thinking behind Brexit, the British government’s negotiating strategy, and (crucially) the Remainer arguments. In a remarkably short space he highlights the contradictory thinking of the Brexiteers (for example, the arguments that the EU has invaded every nook and cranny of British life and that the UK can extricate itself from it in a trice) and the shocking incompeten ...more
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book cover add request 7 23 Mar 08, 2019 12:13AM