Start by marking “Come Drink With Me” as Want to Read:
Come Drink With Me

Come Drink With Me

A Dragon, a Phoenix, and an Opera House.

Bonds that transcend time, loyalties that defy hardship, and the magic of the places we call Home.

An Aromantic Chinese Fairytale.
Published February 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Come Drink With Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Drink With Me

CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I was incredibly fortunate and privileged to read this before release!
But I adore this; this spoke to my soul and my heart, and I love it so much.

- It's a Chinese fairytale that integrates mythology and Chinese opera into its setting! And it's so delightful and magical.
- Follows a Dragon and Phoenix and the beautiful and powerful bond they share.
- It's about how powerful bonds can be, and how they can transcend time, space, and the physical plane. I loved these sort of themes, so this? really
Claudie Arseneault
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely beautiful story with evocative writing and full, textured characters. I loved it and if you're looking for platonic bonds that transcend everything, this is a good place to start. <3
Quartzen
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely short story about friendship between two immortals living among mortals, I really liked the characters and the setting and would be happy to read more about either in the future!
Sharon
This was so sweet! I've never read a book set in Cantonese before, much less revolving a Cantonese opera. It reminded me a lot of period Hong Kong dramas I used to watch as a kid. I also loved the way mythology was incorporated in the story! Fire phoenixes and water dragons are practically perfect counterparts for each other, and I want more Chinese river dragons in my fantasiessss. Personally, I would've also loved to read a little more about the magic and divine gods in this world; the lush de ...more
Artemis
Sweet and elegant and lovely, and the perfect length for what it is. I loved the language and imagery, how the classical Chinese opera setting made it feel both grounded and ethereal at the same time, and and the way these characters' loves - for their crafts, for their home, for each other above all - were so strong and so important to them (while also being gently but insistently aromantic, which I appreciate, a lot). It has the staying power of the best kind of fairy tale.
Allison Thwaites
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is why I both love and dislike short stories. When they're written like this, I always want more. Kudos to the author for not only the aromantic representation, but also for being able to write such a pretty and vivid story. I see myself saving this one to come back to again. It seems the type where you could pick up new meanings and observations with each read.
Jess Crafts
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ace-or-aro-rep
This is a lovely little short story set in a wonderful and vivid Chinese setting. The story itself is set around a tea house opera where two immortal beings pretend to be human to live out their very long lives doing things they love. Their platonic relationship spans centuries and was so nice to read. It is very short, so while I loved the characters and the idea there wasn't that much plot but I enjoyed reading it.

Rep: Chinese aro/ace MC's in a QPR
Lauren Kell
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story of the love that exists for places, professions, and people. The relationship between Gong-Teon and Sam-Leuhng was absolutely beautiful. The passion they felt for their respective callings was breathtaking and felt so familiar. We need more aromantic tales like this.
Leanne Albillar
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely lovely story, so different from anything I’ve ever read before. Wonderfully vivid descriptions, and the close bond between the characters was well established through comfortable familiarity that gave a sense of the timelessness of their friendship.
Lynn O'Connacht
This is a beautiful story. Poignant and elegant and if you're looking for a story centring friendship, this is a wonderful story to read as it's about the enduring friendship between two immortals.

It's also, sadly, a short story that I was in no way ready to say goodbye to when it ended. I would love to see more of these characters!