Start by marking “I, Cosmo” as Want to Read:
I, Cosmo

I, Cosmo

A golden retriever narrates a hilarious, heart-tugging tale of a dog and his humans as he tries to keep his family together while everything around them falls apart.

Ever since Cosmo became a big brother to Max ten years ago, he's known what his job was: to protect his boy and make him happy. Through many good years marked by tennis balls and pilfered turkey, torn-up toilet
Published December 24th 2019 by Walker Books UsS (first published August 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about I, Cosmo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Cosmo

Start your review of I, Cosmo
Monica
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Short but excellent book for any dog lover! Unlike the majority of dog books, this one does NOT have a tear jerk ending. :)

Highly recommend for middle school aged and up.

*Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Mary Rees
Spoiler/Not Spoiler: Cosmo does not die, so now you can enjoy his wonderful story.
I, Cosmo is a ‘woof-tastically’ heart-warming story, full of life, heart and humour which will appeal to any dog-lover, adult or child. Telling the story from the perspective of Cosmo, the 13-year old family golden retriever, is genius! The tone is conversational and authentic: I can really imagine that this is exactly how a dog sees himself within a loving family. Cosmo is wise, humorous, devoted and loves ‘
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

I've always been a sucker for dogs on book covers and this was no exception. Going into this read, I was a bit nervous but could you blame me after "Marley and Me". No. You can't. Nevertheless, this family-filled fluff of a tale was a refreshing break from all the overhyped basic reads I have picked up the last few days. This heartwarming story is about Cosmo, a 13 year old 'older brother' who is dealing with the everyday challenges and struggles of his family day to day lives, arguments,
Carlie Sorosiak
Jan 22, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
You are a very good dog, Cosmo. A very good dog. ...more
Kate Wyver
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cosmo is *such* a good dog. Teaching us to love, doggedly, and dance, often.
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
I am going to find it incredibly difficult to review this, because it is no exaggeration to say that I now consider it an absolute favourite. It is the story of an elderly golden retriever called Cosmo, and his quest to stop his family falling apart, as well as to learn to dance and eat lots of bacon. The book is from Cosmo`s perspective and it`s such a joy to read; his observations about humans and other animals are hilarious and he`s just one of the loveliest characters I`ve ever read. I ...more
Nicki
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely gorgeous story. Cosmo is such a loyal, beautiful soul. This book has stuck in my heart and mind and whenever I see a Golden Retriever now I think of Cosmo.

However, be warned - if your kids read this and you don't already have a dog, you will almost certainly be pestered for one!
Lauren James
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
[Gifted]
A beautiful, heartwarming immersion into the life of a golden retriever. It fully embraces the experiences of being a dog, showing their mannerisms so well that I could picture Cosmo completely. Every time he 'told them with his eyes' that he loved them, I got a bit emotional. So so so good, with a lovely story about a dance competition to bring it all together. I would like a Netflix film of this book, please.
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most adorable books I've ever read. Read it if you need to smile.
Samantha (WLABB)
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

As the oldest member of the Walker family, Cosmo saw it as his duty to protect them and look out for them. When his boy, Max, began stressing about all his parents fighting and his fear that a divorce would separate them, Cosmo dedicated himself to Max's plan, which was to win a dance competition, and hopefully prove that Cosmo and Max belonged together.

From the very first page, I fell in love with Cosmo. He charmed the pants off of me with his witty observations and obvious
Melissa T
This is an adorable story told from Cosmo's point of view. I haven't read many books where animals are the narrator, but this one felt fresh and new.

Cosmo is a sweet dog, who is fiercely loyal to his family, but especially to Max. He's an older dog now, but the writing and the way he recalls his days as a younger pup give this a quite a feel good tone.

The writing is simple, as you would expect from writing from the perspective of a dog, but at the same time, Cosmo's understanding of human
Circus Hufflepuff Rosa
I, Cosmo is such a great book about friendship, family and dog dancing! I recommend this to any one with a pet and a like for humour books, it was so funny and sad and happy all at the same time.
Shaye Miller
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Absolutely fantastic! I know this was intended for the middle grade audience, but I adored the story — laughing out loud and tearing up throughout. Cosmo is an older golden retriever and he’s the one who narrates this story. His boy, Max, is struggling with the realization that his mom and dad aren’t getting along and they might eventually split up. So Cosmo feels it’s his responsibility to hold the family together. The story comes at this topic from a unique position, showcasing how divorce ...more
Sally Boocock
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute must read for all children. Told from Cosmo's perspective it is a real heartfelt story about how he tries to keep the family together through dance. His observations of humans is spot on and very funny at times. A great read.
Lucy
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to lie here. I am crying. A lot. This book is just so pure and I wish I could go back and read it all over again for the first time. Such a special book.
Tanya
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgally and the author for the arc. *the thoughts are all my own*

This book is so cute, it comes from Cosmos (a dog) point of view. It's cute, funny and heartwarming.
Kelly
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
It's only January 11th, but I can say with confidence this is my favorite book of 2020. Anyone who loves dogs will LOVE this book.
Kerry
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartwarming emotional book about an elderly golden retriever and his intense love for both his human family and turkey bacon
Angie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This will rocket to best-in-class among canine autobiographies; you know it's authentic because as a memoir it's less about about Cosmo's own life and times than it is about his family and what he's had to eat. He's a good dog and tells his story well.
Jenny Caddick
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ,Cosmo is the utterly enchanting story of 13 year old golden retriever Cosmo and his owners,the Walker family ,around whom his whole world revolves . Cosmo is devoted especially to the young children Max and Emmaline ; to protecting them and loving them “ doggedly “. Through the narrative voice of Cosmo himself, the reader learns of the history and memories of the family so far—funny, heart warming tales of Halloween costume shame , food temptation shame and the pure joy of watching his ...more
Ms. Yingling
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC provided by the publisher

Cosmo is the "big brother" of Max and his young sister Emmaline, and is now 13 years old. He still is very invested in keeping his pack safe, but he has slowed down, and is beset with arthritis. Things are tense in the household-- the parents fight all the time, and Max is often sad and anxious. It helps a bit when Uncle Reggie comes back from his recent deployment, although he is out of work and missing the dog he worked with, Rosie. He introduces Max and Cosmo to
Astrid Galactic
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet book about a Golden Retriever and his human family, most specifically, Max the 10 year old boy whom Cosmo is closest with. As much as I'm tempted to say that this is another boy and his dog story, it would be unfair to not consider the importance of the rest of the family. For, you see, this is also a story about a family in the early stages of the parents deciding to divorce and the impact that decision has on Max and Cosmo.

The book is told through the eyes and thoughts of Cosmo, the
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
A dog book that even this dyed-in-the-wool cat person loved? I know, it’s amazing!

I will admit – I checked the last page of this before I started it, because I am very leery of animal death in books. And it’s fine – that is not where this story goes at all! You can read in peace without worrying about that!

What we do get is a funny, heartwarming story from the point of view of Cosmo, a dog who is determined to help his best human friend Max through his parents’ divorce. Cosmo’s voice is so
Book Hunter
The story is about Cosmo, a 13-year old family golden retriever, who is determined to help his best human friend Max through his parents’ divorce. Going into this read, I was getting ready for a good cry, but unlike the majority of dog books, no dogs die in this book! The book is told from Cosmo`s perspective and his observations about humans and other animals are spot on and funny. If you have ever had a dog ,Cosmo’s thoughts and behaviours make perfect sense. I can really imagine that this is ...more
Steve Gougeon
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doggie-owned, ebooks
Cosmo is a golden retriever and he is the narrator in this book. He tells his story of trying to keep his family together as his boy, Max, deals with his parents’ impending divorce and the fear of getting separated from one another.

I laughed and cried reading this book. First a non spoiler spoiler (if that makes any sense), Cosmo does NOT die in the book, so you can read without fear of a super sad ending. In fact, the book does end well. That being said, I did cry at times, maybe because my
Annette
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was able to get my hands on an early copy of this adorable book and my 8yo daughter immediately grabbed it and ran. She LOVED it.

The voice (the story is told from Cosmo the dog's perspective) is wonderfully funny and charming. The book touches on divorce and finding unexpected friends. The ending is really touching--my daughter was fighting back a few tears.

Highly recommend for your MG readers and dog lovers of any age.
Emma
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think that this book was similar to other books I have read, but it had it's own twist to it. This, I liked. But at the same time, it was unique and, as it is said "you can't fit in if you were born to stand out,"

This book was worth the time that it took for me to read , in which my time couldn't have been spent in a better way.
Astrea
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come :3
Runningrara
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The nicest, sweetest most heart-warming dog story I've come across for quite a while. It's made me talk to my mutt even more than ever.
Ellie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books now. Started the year with a great book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Star Outside my Window
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • The Land of Roar
  • The Umbrella Mouse
  • The Deepest Breath
  • The Longest Night of Charlie Noon
  • The Middler
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • Can You See Me?
  • We Won an Island
  • Where the River Runs Gold
  • High-rise Mystery
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
Carlie Sorosiak is the bestselling author of I, COSMO, as well as two novels for young adults, IF BIRDS FLY BACK and WILD BLUE WONDER. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram at @carliesorosiak.
“And it occurs to me that I do not have to be fearless. Sometimes worry stays beneath your fur, in the small spaces that fear likes to hide - but I do believe that, with the right human by your side, it's possible to leap fearlessly into the unknown.” 1 likes