Start by marking “The Coffeehouse Resistance” as Want to Read:
The Coffeehouse Resistance

The Coffeehouse Resistance

Part coming-to-America story, part lyrical memoir, and yet another part activist’s call to action, The Coffeehouse Resistance: Brewing Hope in Desperate Times is timely, funny, and poignant. Writing as a mother, immigrant, new American, coffeehouse owner, and international nonprofit leader, Prabasi’s story weaves between Nepal, Ethiopia, and the United States. When Prabasi ...more
Published April 9th 2019 by Green Writers Press

To ask other readers questions about The Coffeehouse Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coffeehouse Resistance

Start your review of The Coffeehouse Resistance
Christine Eberle
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine standing close to a large mosaic. You reach out and touch one small piece, marveling at its beauty. Then your eye is drawn to another exquisite tile: so delicately formed; such a rich color. Before long you are pondering another piece; it’s like nothing you’ve ever seen. Only after delighting in each marvelous fragment do you step back to appreciate the whole picture.

That’s the experience of reading The Coffeehouse Resistance. Each memory Sarina Prabasi shares is a tiny wonder, drawing
Rachael Peretic
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘What a difference we can make, understanding our neighborhoods as we do, and having a real relationship with people in our communities. What could we accomplish if we could make the coffeehouse politically relevant again? Not partisan, but politically engaged and active.’
-Sarina Prabasi, The Coffeehouse Resistance

No stranger to immigration, Sarina Prabasi was born in the Netherlands, raised in Nepal, and educated in Massachusetts before settling for years in Ethiopia, where she fell in love
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very readable story of vignettes, from childhood to now. The pacing is well-plotted and big themes, such as the decision to move to America, starting a busines, getting an education and meeting her now-husband are told over a series of memories, memories that really draw you in and make sense of far-flung places and cultures. It captures lots of moments in time and I read it in two sittings. Two!
Jennifer Young
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book we all need right now - a powerful memoir of a mother, business woman and activist who tells a coming of age story around the idea of coffeehouses as a nexus of family, community, and political action. I'm buying copies for friends and family.
Athos
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prabasi comes across as a trustworthy go-getter. Beyond her formidable accomplishments as an entrepreneur, humanitarian and parent, perhaps she commands even more respect with her warm, earnest voice and belief in virtue for its own sake. Her story gifts the reader with profound lessons and beautiful settings (so many gorgeous moments, as in the portrait of Ethiopia). When do-gooders like her are leading the resistance, we know it's time for change. High recommend.
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed reading "The Coffeehouse Resistance" - a memoir by Sarina Prabasi. I read nearly the entire book in one sitting!

It is a beautiful story that crosses multiple cities and covers various significant times in the author's life. I very much enjoyed how coffee served as backdrop and connector weaving together various chapters of the story. I especially enjoyed learning about the culture of coffee in Ethiopia. The author's writing is lovely and painted such amazing images of the setting
Bookworm
Jul 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Saw the title and high reviews and thought it'd be a good read. I was interesting in reading on what the author (who I am not familiar with) was working in the "coffehouse resistance." Women have been leading much of activism and movements throughout history. What does coffeehouse activism look like today, in the United States post the 2016 election?

I don't really know. The book is really a memoir of the author growing up, moving around the world, etc. Her experiences in different cultures plus
Ben
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Promote it, love it and feel certain that you'll find it as timely and beautiful as I do.
Greg Allbee
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first section of the book is her memoir of growing up in various places around the world, which is interesting enough in itself. Some of it feels a bit disjointed and jumps around in time, makes some references to things like Ethiopian politics that aren't fully explained (but aren't essential to the memoir either). The third section of the book is where it really comes together. She and her husband are establishing and growing their business, at the same time Trump begins his presidency. ...more
Kim
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by the author's friend and it caught me by surprise. It resonated with me in many ways - as a wife, as a business partner, as someone living in an unfamiliar culture, as a mother, etc. It is a quick read, broken into digestible chunks and peppered with lovely metaphor and social commentary. She speaks passionately on issues of modern day American society, notably around immigration, from both a political and personal angle. I was sorry that it ended - I wanted to ...more
AL
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The American Dream is alive & well in Prabasi’s engaging memoir. She recounts her family’s immigrant experience with a heart and entrepreneurial spirit, making this book a quick, enjoyable read. Recommended for anyone who has wanted to live overseas, live in NYC, open a business, connect with their life partner, work in non-profit, be more politically active, or just enjoy a solid, well-crafted story over an equally well-crafted cup of coffee.
Brian
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful and inspiring little book. I went in thinking it was going to be more political and "activist" oriented - and while it is that, it was more straight-up memoir, than anything else, albeit interesting and entertaining throughout. This made me want to visit Ethiopia for the coffee alone, and makes me happy to know there are people like Prabasi doing good in the world.
Kay
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cup of coffee with a friend you might not have known you had (to paraphrase another fan).

Extremely readable, extremely enjoyable - Coffeehouse Resistance makes me want to simultaneously phone my Senator, pick up a good novel, travel somewhere new, and reflect upon and take action on promises not yet delivered.
Thomas Ryan
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and honest book with not a single wasted word. If part of your morning routine is a cup of coffee and if you believe our country and our world has embraced too much hate, read this book and share it with someone at the next table in your local coffee shop and start the much needed conversation we need to move our country and our society in the right direction.
Cathy
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If anyone can get a coffeehouse based resistance movement it is this author. I admire her tenacity and embrace of politics in the post-Trump era and that she is a great role model for her daughters.
Patricia
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great memoir / first book from this author. Her thoughts and insights into our political system, were thought provoking to someone who has always been immersed in the system.
Emily Haile
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! A fabulous book...incredibly readable. It feels like having a cup of coffee with a good friend. From growing up in Nepal to meeting her husband in Ethiopia and starting a coffee shop in Manhattan, Prabasi's story is inspiring and shows what's possible when you have a dream and you hold onto it bravely and resolutely. Her foray into local politics and community organizing is a natural extension of this immigrant story, which centers around deep connections with her neighbors and a growing ...more
Anise Eden
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A moving and exquisitely written memoir about love, family, and community. Sharing rich, intimate memories of the places she has called home, Prabasi, a self-described “global nomad,” drew me into her journey from page one. This book is so many things, among them a beautiful story of romance and parenthood. As she weaves together the threads of a life lived with incredible heart and hope, Prabasi illustrates many moments, ranging from joyful to frightening, in which the political becomes ...more
Ting Barrow
I didn't know what to expect from this book, but found myself drawn in from the very first pages. Sarina's voice is calm but you hear her underlying passion for justice and life seething underneath - and moving both the book and our hearts forward. A much needed book for our troubled times.

• Into the Beautiful North
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About Books: The History and Future of Reading
  • Maya's Notebook
  • The Education of Margot Sánchez
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • Dreaming in Cuban
  • The World in Half
  • Shadowshaper (Shadowshaper, #1)
  • 187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border: Undocuments, 1971-2007
  • Drown
  • 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World
  • Her Fearful Symmetry
  • Sempre caro
  • In the Time of the Butterflies
  • United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground and Advancing the Common Good
  • Half the Night is Gone
  • The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
  • Ayesha at Last
Sarina Prabasi is Co-Founder of Buunni Coffee in New York City, author of The Coffeehouse Resistance: Brewing Hope in Desperate Times (Green Writers Press, April 2019) and CEO of WaterAid America. She was born in the Netherlands, raised in India, China and Nepal, and spent formative years in the United States and Ethiopia. Following a career leading initiatives in global health, education, water ...more