Start by marking “The Weight of a Soul” as Want to Read:
The Weight of a Soul

The Weight of a Soul

When Lena's younger sister Fressa is found dead, their whole Viking clan mourns—but it is Lena alone who never recovers. Fressa is the sister that should've lived, and Lena cannot rest until she knows exactly what killed Fressa and why—and how to bring her back. She strikes a dark deal with Hela, the Norse goddess of death, and begins a new double life to save her sister.

B
Published December 3rd 2019 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of a Soul, please sign up.
Kirsty Based on the ending, I would say no. Definitely should have more to come.

Start your review of The Weight of a Soul
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I LOVED THE NORDIC MYTHOLOGY BUT DIDN'T REALLY ENJOY MUCH ELSE

I love everything that has a whiff of anything mythological, so this book should have been right up my alley. Sadly, there wasn't much else besides the mythology that got my motor running, so to speak. Still, I was fairly entertained but not ecstatic.

👍 THE THINGS I LIKED 👍

Mythology: Like I said, throw a little mythology into the mix and I am sure to pick up your book. Nordic mythology is, for obvious reasons (I am a Dane), a personal
Elizabeth Tammi
Jan 09, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: uh-i-wrote-this
BOOK TWO BABYYYYYYY

I'm very excited to share my second book with you! Norse mythology is dark, strange, and endlessly fascinating-- the chance to explore it through this story has been an immense privilege and responsibility. Most of my family is Scandinavian, and my great-grandfather moved to the United States from Sweden at just 19 years old. All this to say that I feel very fortunate and fulfilled to have learned more about the place my family came from, and the history and mythology behind t
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

I gotta say, the reviews for this one so far do not do it justice. I found The Weight of a Soul to be beautiful, heartwrenching, and full of love. And so, we shall discuss!

What I Enjoyed:

This book is quite literally about the worth of a soul, and how far you're willing to go to save those you love. That is the question Lena must answer when her sister Fressa dies- of reasons no one
Alaina
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really really wanted to like this more than I did. Maybe it's because I sort of forced myself to keep reading it when I was doing nothing else with my life but I just kept going in and out of actually liking The Weight of a Soul That doesn't mean I'm going to give up on this book because I really do like anything that has to deal with mythology and Vikings.. so I will definitely have to dive into it again but more around a tim
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Flux and Netgalley for the review copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not change my opinion in anyway.

The Weight of a Soul is a historical and mythological viking story. It focuses on the daughter of the chief of a Viking clan. She loses her sister and tries hard to find her back.

That premise is one you can do a lot with. However at the end of the book I would say that the book was boring. Our main character has to find a soul that is as heavy as her sister to get her
Aly
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Okay, I loved that this is a Viking book and features Norse gods and goddesses! There aren't enough of these books around so I'm always happy to read them. This started out strong, fast pacing and lots of questions about what's happening. I liked the relationship between Lena and Fressa and that Lena would do anything to help her sister. As I got closer to the ending, I thought there must be a second book because there's no way all this will resolve. Well, I was (mostly) wrong. Things wrapped up ...more
Maaike
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Maybe one star is harsh. Maybe it deserves better.

Then again maybe it doesn’t. I found this book unbelievably dull. I kept praying for my interest to at least catch a spark and for me to please get invested in the story or even just the characters but it never happened. I started The Weight of a Soul four times before I finally made it through the first chapter and I admit that I skimmed most of the rest.

I wanted a Viking-esque world, I wanted strong characters, I wanted an action-packed plot
Sasha
What I liked about he story:
- I love anything related to Vikings and Norse Mythology. That's what actually intrigued me the most when I requested that book.
- I love the main character Lena, yes she is determined, she is strong, she is smart and she is also morally grey. which for me, are the best type of characters because they make sense and they are relatable. I believe no one can be 100% bad or good. So that was a big plus for me.
- I was NOT expecting that ending and most of the twists to be
Lea | That_Bookdragon
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-received
3/5 ⭐️

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with a free e-ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

I don't think I'm the only one for whom this is the case but ever since I saw the first movie Thor when it came out no, it is not just because of Tom Hiddleston, although he played a huge part in my interest as well hehe, I have been really interested in Norse mythology. I have always had something for mths and legends of another time but for some reasons, the
Ashlee » libraryinthecountry
This cover is simply beautiful.
Kim Chance
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Formal review to come but OH MY GOSH, this book was BREATH-TAKING! I loved it!
maddie (masquerade) ♫
*I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book wrecked me. This story was so beautifully written and entwined with emotion. When I finished the last page, I let my kindle fall into my lap and I stared at the ceiling in awe for several minutes. I was truly wrecked and also, heartbroken.

LENA DESERVED BETTER!!!
I struggled with the fact that this entire book was about bringing Lena's sister, Fressa, back from the afterlife. Halfway through the book, my min
 Vanessa  B. ♡
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019-reads
I love Norse Mythology and I'm always happy to read books related to it. Since I have read a couple of really good books about Norse mythology and a lot average, I have to say that even though The Weight of a Soul had potential it was an average book.
My main problem with the book was the pacing. It was either too slow or filed with too many things that in the end made me confused. Moreover, I really don't like it when things happen with no reason and no explanation and this book had a lot of mom
Sheila G
I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Flux Books and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Death, Murder, Conspiracy, Arranged/Forced Marriage, Assisted Suicide

Lena realized that just as she had always expected the summer to stay, she had always expected her sister to be at her side. Because for her whole life
Kitty Marie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Note : I received an e-ARC of this title, many thanks to Netgalley and Flux for this opportunity.

The Weight of a Soul is a YA fantasy steeped in norse mythology. It follows Lena, a chieftain's daughter. After the death of her sister, Fressa, Lena becomes obsessed with somehow saving her by finding a soul of equal value to give to Hela, a norse Goddess of death.

At about the 20% mark I was very drawn into this title and finished it in one engaged sitting. That's been hard to do as of late, so ther
christina
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Sky in the Deep
I received an ARC by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Mixed feelings on this one, while the story was written well the plot itself was not as action packed as I had expected. Based on the blurb this sounds like a dark story about a girl who will do whatever it takes to get her sister back. This may be true, but the story spends most of it's time with the main character Lena crying over her arranged marriage to her childhood best friend and dead sister's lover Amal
Kira Simion
Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Alexx
I received an e-arc of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much Flux!

Well, this was a fun read! The Weight of a Soul has a mix of mythology, family, and the sense of doing right or wrong. Definitely enjoyed this one, and I would have finished it way sooner if I didn't have a busy week!

The writing
I adored the writing style of the author. It was emotional and philosophical for me as it touches the topic of family—specifically a sister's love and estranged family
Dany
Nov 29, 2019 rated it did not like it

Weight of the soul didn't outrun the "Outrun the Wind".

Weight of the soul lacks a lot . Since I read Elizabeth's first book and loved it (gave it 4 stars) , I had a lot of expectations for Weight of the soul.

But weight of the soul lacks the important thing Outrun the Wind had. The pacing. Pacing was so terribly slow and the plot was barely moving. Depending the whole book on one single plot twist (which was like , super obvious by the way?) was a terrible move.

The book had a lot of tw
Katya de Becerra
Reading this book was like being caught inside a devastating, wistful, beautiful dream. I could feel it all so vividly: Lena's raw grief and despair, the bone-chilling coldness of her world, and the gathering darkness heralding the approaching doom. Offering a fascinating new take on Norse mythology, The Weight of a Soul is about what happens when gods meddle in mortals affairs and how sisterly love and devotion can challenge the will of the cruel gods and resist fate. Amazing and thought-provok ...more
BadassCmd
I really liked the author's first novel, Outrun the Wind, so I was really excited about seeing the premise for this second novel and the viking setting.
And I still think that it has an interesting concept and a great setting.
But it took me a long time to read through it, and the more I was reading, the more confused I got on what to think about it, which makes this a hard book to rate and review.

The set up was promising. Death, Grief, Deals with the gods. And a main character who might be ready
Patrick
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Ultimately I felt like this book just wasn't really for me. It likely has its audience, but I had trouble getting into it. I think my biggest issue was the characters. I didn't really feel anything for Lena most of the time. She didn't come alive much as a character for me and when she made some very drastic decisions, they often felt unjustified. I also felt like the plot meandered too much in the middle then just kind of ended within a few chapters. Further, the crux of the novel, Lena's attac ...more
Liv the Jellyfish Queen
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know what I've expected of this book, to be honest. I read the synopsys back in July or smth and received an ARC, and then promptly ignored it for five months.

What I got was a gripping novel about Viking sisters, one of which (the sword wielding one) has been found dead by her sister (the healer one). And Lena (the healer one) just goes nope and does everything humanly possible to get her sister back.
And let me tell you, I was invested! Lena was such a strong character that was willing t
Veronica ( moon & coffee. )
This review can also be found on my blog.

C-/D+ | While the premise was good and interesting, the execution was unfortunately mediocre at best. The story drags on and on. The characters are boring. Although grief and denial are explored here, it was difficult to feel anything because things felt dry, flat, and stale. This book might be called The Weight of a Soul, but there’s little weight or soul in this book.

Part of the reason why I requested this book on NetGallery and got excited when I was
Emily (emilykatereads)
This book is heartbreakingly beautiful. As the story progresses, you can feel more and more for Lena and her pain at losing her sister.

Lena and Fressa are sister's and are both daughters of the chief of their Viking clan. When Fressa is found dead, Lena will do anything to bring her back, and this journey brings us to dark places and discoveries about her family.

It started off slower for me, but in the second half of this story I was really invested. It took me a while to connect with Lena bec
Carola | adreamofpages
I liked this book, but overall (for me) it was an average read.

In the beginning you learn about the characters and what their relationships are and I liked what was going on, but was not that attached to the characters.
Later on, at around 50% I even thought about DNF'ing it, as I felt like their was not much happening and I was kinda bored. My interests in the ending kept me going.
And I have to say that the ending was very interesting. I liked it when the Gods where getting a bigger part in the
Savannah (forest_reader)
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, vikings
This was just...weird. The storyline, the theme, the characters, the ending...just unnatural, forced, and strange. It didn't seem like a Viking world at all, and the characters seemed too orchestrated to serve the very strange plot. Maybe I missed something? And also...the ending had way too many loose ends. I like endings with loose ends. But this one had way too many, which led to confusion and a lack of emotion over the characters and their lives. Would not recommend.

I received this book from
Nora Eliana | Papertea & Bookflowers
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I love Mythology. If you’ve read some of my latest posts you know this. But you also know that I’ve been very disappointed with, actually most, of the books I read. I’m still trying though. And Norse Mythology is also a topic I’m very interested in. But in contrast to Greek Mythology I didn’t grow up with these stories, so I hoped that it might be easier to like for me.

I actually also read and reviewed Elizabeth Tammi’s debut novel Outrun the Wind and was disappointed. Bu
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • Highfire
  • Rogue Princess
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • Beyond the Moon
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Wives
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • The Soulstealers
  • B & E Ever After (Fairy Tale Quartet, #3)
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • The Wickerlight (The Wren Hunt, #2)
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
  • Savvy Sheldon Feels Good as Hell
  • Ever Alice
Elizabeth Tammi is the author of OUTRUN THE WIND (Flux, 2018) and THE WEIGHT OF A SOUL (Flux, 2019). A recent graduate of Mercer University, Elizabeth currently works in social media/public outreach at NASA and lives in Florida. You can find her online on Tumblr at (annabethisterrified), Twitter at (@ElizabethTammi), Instagram at (elizabeth_tammi), and at elizabethtammi.com.

News & Interviews