Start by marking “The Other Half” as Want to Read:
The Other Half

The Other Half

“Of course I’d end up owning a house with the stranger I tongue-kissed while high at a funeral. It’s like the only possible outcome with me.”

Chris Solomon has it all – a career, a New York apartment, a hot model fiancé, and a wedding to plan. Then there’s the house in New Hampshire, a historic farmhouse belonging to his childless Aunt Becky, a prize that Chris’s family
Published December 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Other Half, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Half

Start your review of The Other Half
Marcus
It blows my F*cking mind how White female writers want to be inclusive but, still tend to write gay black male characters as if they’re only good for being cheaters or having a big dick. It’s constantly the same in every story being written now. Y’all literally need to do better or just not write us anymore because it has become increasingly unbearable as A Gay Black Man to read this crap anymore and for all the WHITE readers hold these writers to higher standards instead of letting them keep ...more
WhatAStrangeDuck
I swear, one day I will sit down and write well thought out reviews about all of the books by this author I've read. Cross my heart. I really, really like her books. But most of the time I don't even know how to rate them because they are all over the place - this one starts out silly, and funny and and then ten pages later I was in tears. And then it's laugh-out-loud funny again. That's not a bad thing but... *fswojfsdafkljpffff*

Ah, I don't know. Today is obviously not the day.

I think today I
Line
Mar 18, 2019 marked it as probably-not-but-freebie
Freebie at the zon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Other-Half-J...
Ed Davis
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have yet to read a book by Jess Whitecroft that I didn’t like. This was my third book by her and just as satisfying as the first two.
Karen
Kazza
Jan 21, 2019 marked it as abandoned
Hit a bit close to home with the good friend and cancer, so putting it aside for now.
Furio
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This novel was quite the surprise for me.
The first half (pun intended) is a fireworks set of quick, funny banter, the kind most of us would never manage in real life but it sounds real all the same.
The two leads are polar opposites - I hear the author kind of makes a point of ALWAYS having improbable leads - which is another common trope used to heighten the drama. Only it works. Chris and Jody are fully rounded and their differences, exaggerated though they are, serve the story well, pushing it
Sakuko
Well, Jess Whitecroft certainly has a unique style. This book kinda bounced around a lot between humorous, outrageous and emotionally raw. There where places where I just rolled my eyes so hard because my suspension of disbelieve would not go there, especially the parts where the floors give out. That`s some jumping the shark level shit. But then you also just get really believable, raw, emotional moments. And also I-love-you's that seem to come out of left field.

If it was one thing the book was
Roberta Blablanski
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, arc-for-review
Hilarious romance with diverse characters!

Whitecroft has done it again! She's crafted a romance that's sexy, hilarious, and uniquely heartwarming.

Jody is lovably bohemian, and Chris is adorably uptight. There opposite personalities compliment each other so well. The odd family dynamics make the story, and the characters' quirks are fabulous.

Shelby
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 17%.

I have nothing against pansexual/bisexual characters.... but, if I wanted to read m/f sex scenes and descriptions of vaginas, I wouldn't be reading m/m novels - the one I have is already one more than I want to deal with, thank you very much.

M/F on page sex aside, I'm not feeling either of these MCs.
Suzy
When the chance of an ARC from Jess Whitecroft comes your way, you snatch that baby with both hands and run away so you can hide and just devour the words on the page. This was my reaction, even if I had to do some of that pesky adulting first. However because I am an adult I don't have a hard and fast bedtime, which is lucky cause when I started reading The Other Half I just knew I wasn't about to stop until the very last word. I absolutely adored Jody and Chris and their road to each other. ...more
Penny Ellgass
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It has so much depth, dealing with class differences, race, religion, gifters, death, sex industry, sexual tabus, restoration, narcissism, betrayal, cheating, LOVE, it has it all. Tied up in a wonderful story.
I was a bit unenchanted the first 3 or 4 chapters until the back story tied together, but it was all pull you in and hold you breathless until the end
Jody and Chris have you in love with them because they are real.
Jody the poor boy who had to raise himself because dad was
Claudia
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
First of all you need to know there's a kiss there that counts as cheating and if that's a no in your book, pick something else. There's something about Jess Whitecroft's characteres that always push my boundaries and for that I am grateful. Let it be recreational drugs, couples that are inviting a third party into the mix or sexual workers, there's always something that takes me out of my comfort zone and makes me see things through a different glass. These stories always keep coming back to me ...more
Melanie Rawlinson
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I dare you not to love this

What a fantastic, beautiful story. I had a few tears at the start when Aunt Becky died, I liked her even in the short time we had with her. And that tells you a lot about this book, and this author. Her characters are full, alive, and beautifully written so that you root for Jody, you feel for Chris, you despise the ex and get horribly conflicted by Jody’s dad. Although I got less of a feel for Chris’s twin but then she is a mom of a very small baby, and my experience
Brenda Moser
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written book with an intriguing story line. The author brings strong likable characters in Jody and Chris , gives them a hot chemistry and weaves an emotional story filled with drama,heartbreak and a hot romance. The two men have tons of issues to deal with before they reach their HEA. It's an interesting story with realistic and believable characters. I enjoyed and would recommend this book.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book. All opinions in this review are my own and
Teddy Talley
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny & romantic

The characters in this book were well done and so lovable. I thought it was original the way their falling in love was written. "It just happened." People say that about infidelity, which ties into the whole reason Chris and Jody end up living in the house together. I like that they don't fight falling in love. It sneaks up on them and they welcome it with open arms.

One last awesome thing about this book. None of the characters (except the cheating boyfriend) can be
Kirsty Mckenzie
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, that really was a pleasure to read. I found both characters Chris and Jody where amazing in their own ways. I really loved how free Jody was and just how much of a generous soul he had. Chris was such a sweetheart that just seemed to give to much to the wrong people.
The house of many fun times was a hoot for sure.
This is a definitely must read book, because it needs to be experienced for many reasons. Aswell as the house of fun. Grab it asap you won't regret it.

I received
Sadie Jay
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BBQ sauce where it shouldn't be...

I'm usually not a huge fan of stories written in present tense but sometimes they work, and it worked well for me in The Other Half. I was hooked in the first scene (with the aforementioned BBQ sauce) and enjoyed the humor sprinkled throughout the novel. Not that it was all upbeat and light. I thought the characters were very well written, not just Jody and Chris, but also the side characters. This is definitely a book I'll reread in the future.

I received a free
Kitt
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jess Whitecroft's books are always enjoyable, funny, emotional, and...surprising. Whatever you expect the story and characters to be, there are always going to be some surprises or twists you don't see coming. I love the way she juxtaposes different characteristics and themes, whether, racial, socio-economic, religious, sexual, etc., and shows that love can overcome any difference, and she makes it all seem realistic and natural.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am
Amelia Foster
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable story about two strangers thrown together under very unusual circumstances. Their voices were unique and fresh and I loved the diversity at play.

As a lover of HGTV and all those fixer-upper reality shows, watching them figure out the sometimes basic, sometimes complicated world of renovation was VERY entertaining. When it was punctuated by their ridiculous chemistry, that was even better.

Sylvia
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story about love, loss, cheating and being given something you didn’t know you needed. This book is well written with fully developed characters that you will definitely fall in love with. This book has drama that will have you laughing. Definitely a book I found hard to put down and I hope you all love it just as much as I did, enjoy.

L H
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When the unexpected happens, you can find yourself connected to someone you were not expecting to be connected to. With humor, emotion and love this story is well written with characters that have depth. The connection between the heirs for the house has the ability to be life changing. Sometimes the inheritance is about getting what you didn't know you wanted and needed.

Michelle
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A deep book with so many layers. It's hard to categorize this in one simple trope like many of Jess Whitecroft's books. Vastly entertaining, sexy, and a bit sad. Has elements of cheating in it, but JW does an excellent job of writing the consequences and repercussions. The Money Pit quality of the story adds that touch of humor that evens out the sadness.
Tanya
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He is successful and he is engaged so when his aunt dies, he expects his sister and him to inherit the house but it ends up a stranger and him. His life is about to change when he meets the gay man who has inherited. Will this change his whole life around? See what will happen

HAYLEY SMITH
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!

I really loved the other half, it is a truly clever and brilliant read.
There is humour, beautifully written emotion and characters so richly described they could be real.
I adored Jody and Chris, I wish this book was longer as I didn't want it to end.
Another amazing book from Jess Whitecroft!
Jewel Boo
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jess Whitecroft writes beautifully.

This really was a great read and I couldn't put it down. This is my 3rd book of Jess' and each book was a hit. The laughs and characters and emotional links will keep my eyes open for more books.
Coco.V
Dec 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (12/8/2019)! ...more
Jane Harper
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Was not expecting this book to be so excellent. Off to find out what else the author has written....
Urszula
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like the book a lot. It is funny and well written. Characters are great. The reality and plot interesting. All is great to read.

• The Last Text
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Upside Down
  • Right Back Where (Welcome to Alvarado, #1)
  • Below the Belt (Baum's Boxing #1)
  • Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • Fairytale of LaGuardia
  • The Hate You Drink
  • He's Behind You!
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Shrewd Angel
  • In the Absence of Light
  • Campy (Ballsy Boys #4)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
  • Rebound (Pucks & Rainbows, #1)
  • Home for Christmas
Jess Whitecroft was born and educated in the UK, where she was once voted 'Most Likely To Think That Writing A Romantic Comedy About Bigfoot Is A Good Idea'.

After serving an apprenticeship with the late, great Black Lace books, and after many genres and many pseudonyms, she returned to romance, with a fondness for telling unconventional stories about unconventional lovers.