Start by marking “Augur of Shadows (Destined #1)” as Want to Read:
Augur of Shadows (Destined #1)

Augur of Shadows

(Destined #1)

(Alternate cover edition of Kindle ASIN B07KXDLT6H.)

PROPHECY. ADVENTURE. APOCALYPTIC.

Grief-stricken seventeen-year-old Henri moves to New York City after he loses his father. He starts having vivid dreams that tell of things to come, and his visions lead him to meet a wise young man, Siméon, and to reconnect with an old friend, Etlina.

Henri and his friends, Siméon an
Published February 26th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Augur of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Augur of Shadows

Eliott Griffen
I loved this book. Jacob really did a great job. The amount of research that went into this book is amazing. The world that he built so vividly is exciting and scary. Descriptions of temples and deities will make you feel like you’re there, right alongside Henri, Simeon and Etlina. Henri is a very well portrayed teenager, with all his internal struggles about being something he never imagined. The reader can really empathize with him in this time of struggle, when Henri and his friends have to p ...more
Shanna Swenson
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jacob Rundle has written a unique action-packed urban fantasy novel with lovable characters.

Henri is a young teen, who after moving to NY following the death of his father, learns that his life isn’t quite as ordinary as he thought. After meeting the incredibly attractive Simeon, Henri feels an instant connection, but Simeon is also more than meets the eye. He shows Henri what his “dreams” actually mean about him and that he is a highly gifted individual; an augur. He can teleport and project t
Sean McMahon
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Augur of Shadows is a phenomenal achievement. What really struck me is the sheer amount of research Jacob must have gone through to walk the fine line between agnostic sensibilities and deep cut religious references. Henry's reaction to conversing with the various avatars and deities felt well balanced.

Without going into spoiler territory, Henri's journey takes him beyond a physical plane of existence, and these sections have an almost dreamlike flavour to them. Some scenes left me feeling as di
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I'll preface this review with the fact that I no longer read YA, but I wanted to pick this up because it interested me.

Augur has an amazing premise. Three young people thrown together to bring about the apocalypse in order to save the world? That's a lot to put on their shoulders, so the stakes are very high.

There were a fair few aspects about this book I enjoyed. The level of details about the various deities intrigued me. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but my favourite scene is what I
Tyler Smith
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The world that Jacob Rundle created in Augur of Shadows is so well done that I couldn't put down the book. I read it all throughout the night. The characters are relatable, the pace is perfect and I wasn't expecting the ending. It's an amazing twist to the concept of the Apocalypse.
Amber Richardson
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a book like this before. The author's prose is so eloquently executed. The idea that an apocalypse is a good thing is quite different. Fantastic job.
Hazel DaHealer
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent blend of Sci Fi and Metaphysical. The story keeps you turning the page to see what happens. I recommend this book!
Jason Rundle
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book just captures your attention right away and keeps you wanting more. I found the plot to be a fresh take on something we all have read or heard about in our lifetime. Characters were easily relatable. I found myself latching onto their journey very quickly. A great start to what will be an amazing series of books. I for one can not wait for the next installment.
Jess Amarantes
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly my new favorite work! I have read it multiple times, and still feel all the feelings like it’s the first time! You will get transported right into this book, and walk along with the characters through the story as if you were there! Truly a breakthrough book by a most talented writer! I highly recommend it!
Gatlin Ross
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book review by Gatlin Ross

Title of Book: Augur of Shadows

Author of Book: Jacob Rundle

Date Published: February 26th, 2019

Page length: 203 pages

Apocalypse and dystopian future genres, thought finely separated from one another, have been very popular to young teen and young adult demographics for a significant amount of time. Because there are so many books that fit into that demographic, it is hard to find a story that speaks to you as the reader. I found that distinction in Jacob Rundle’s Augur o
C.D. Tavenor
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Augur of Shadows, Jacob Rundle’s debut novel, tells the story of three young adults: Henri, Simeon, and Etlina. The three face a task of monumental, apocalyptic proportions, and Rundle successfully establishes those stakes throughout Augur. By the end, you’ll feel entrenched in the spiritual journey of these three heroes, rooting for them as they discover fantastical powers beyond anything you can imagine.

As a debut author, Rundle’s bringing a lot to the table. This story sets the stage for a m
S.E. Turner
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and captivating

This story of astral projection and time travel between the past present and future is delivered in an eloquent, rich and detailed manner. For anyone who finds this concept intriguing, enter the world of Henri and Simeon; who, together with their friend Etlina have to stop a catastrophic end to civilisation as we know it. Fuelled with research and knowledge on many levels - this is a very enjoyable read.
Ashleigh Miller
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Book: Augur of Shadows

Author: Jacob Rundle

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-fi

Published By: N/A

Published Year: 2019

My Review:

Having received a free copy of this book as an ARC for Silver Dagger Tours I was glad to be able to be a part of the tour as the novel seemed very interesting to me and had a great premise about it. With the book being a young adult, apocalyptic novel.

Augur of Shadows is about a boy named Henri and his friends Simeon and Etlina who need to stop the Old Ones from coming to Ear
Catherine Bowser
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a really unique idea and I’d rate it a 3.7 actually if that were an option. There is a lot of risk taken in the topics the author tries to tackle and they, for the most part, really pay off. It’s rare to find empath abilities, spirituality, religion, sexual orientation and a host of other issues in books let alone all in one book but it’s tackled with respect and sincerity.

There are a lot of fun ideas in this story and it builds an interesting universe. I felt a lot of inspiration from o
Danielle
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you were asked to start the apocalypse? In Augur of Shadows, that’s the dilemma Henri faces when he starts seeing visions of the future. He sees destruction, loss, and otherworldly beings made of pure evil. And through the help of his friends Simeon and Etlina, as well as divine and spiritual assistance, the three Destined set out to begin the end of the world.

Augur of Shadows takes an event that most main characters and heroes try to prevent and twists it into the only viab
C.R.
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-in-2019
What a great story this was and quite different than any post-apocalypse I’ve ever read. In fact, I’d call it a PRE-apocalypse mixed with some paranormal and fantastical elements.

Henri is a teen who is struggling with several secrets. The main one is that he's having visions and dreams and doesn’t know why or what it's all about until he meets Simeon. But Henri soon finds out that he is meant for more than the normal teenage angst and drama that most kids experience. He is an Augur, a seer, and
Mark Engels
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Author Rundle tenders a high-stakes found family thriller in his coming-of-age tale of a young man coming into his awesome powers. Eons-old supernatural feuds blast into our present day, requiring our reluctant hero to mature quickly to save his newfound friends. The book ends with raw, visceral emotion after Henri makes his Faustian bargain to defend them (along with all of humankind.) He has little time to mourn as he, along with allies Simeon and Etlina, prepares for the cataclysmic battle su ...more
Natalie
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A unique and captivating story.

I’ll start this review by saying that I don’t usually read post-apocalyptic novels. Having said that, I truly enjoyed this book. Mr. Rundle’s take on apocalypse was completely different and unique. Three teenagers, whose lives are complicated already, are chosen to save the world from destruction.

The story is a non-stop action that keeps you at the edge of your seat from the first page. Multiple gods of different pantheons, angels and demons, and otherworldly crea
Jess Amarantes