Start by marking “The First Girl Child” as Want to Read:

The First Girl Child

From the New York Times bestselling author comes a breathtaking fantasy of a cursed kingdom, warring clans, and unexpected salvation.

Audio CD, Unabridged, 391 pages

Giveaway dates: Jul 20 - Aug 19, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
    "In the beginning, they’d rejoiced. Sons were always preferable. Sons were the lifeblood. The protectors. The warriors. The farmers. How foolish they’d all been."

description

I don't really have to proper words to describe just how well-crafted and ingenious The First Girl Child was. So, this review is going to be a shell of what it potentially could be, simply because Amy Harmon completely stole my words away and I'm jealous of those that may experience this for the first time.

_______________

The World
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Five in the name Nordic kings, gods, mythological, full of runes, mystic, lyrical, powerful, ghost-ly stars!

Amy Harmon is one of the talented writers always knows how to take you journeys at different time zones from Irish Revolution to the middle of World War second and some unknown mystical kingdom doors. She plays the words like instruments and creates amazing, soul-brushing, heart-healing compositions, that you wanna read over and over again to feel joyful and delighted ! That’s how I felt a
    Helena of Sparta ✰
    I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I loved Making Faces. I loved The Law of Moses. And I LOVED The Bird and the Sword. So, I think it's safe to say that I'll love this, too!
    Navessa

So good I cosplayed as Lagertha while filming this. Watch the full review on YouTube.

Thanks so much to 47North for granting our ARC request of this on NetGalley. It's still up if you want to grab an advanced copy of this stellar historical fantasy with romantic subplots. Otherwise, you get to wait until it releases in August.

Blog | FB | Twitter | IG | Pinterest | Tumblr | YouTube
    Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
    5 surprised stars

“We are abused. We are used. We are bartered and abandoned. But rarely are we loved. So be it. From this day forward, there will be no daughters in Saylok for any of you to love.”

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” as Ari https://readingunderstreetlamps.wordpress.com (my buddy reader said) this could be the motto of this book!

The first thing that astonished me in this book is a totally different writing style from what I have read from Amy so far. Still very beautifu
    Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
    🤩4-4,5 STARS🤩

Such a brilliant and unique story!I love whatever genre she writes, and I always go blind to her stories!I don't need a synopsis because I simply know it will be another fantastic read!

description

The story line is interesting,original and captivating!Everything needed their time and their got it!This is a slow story in my opinion and this is what make me not give it 5 stars but still it was an unforgettable read!

Betül
    Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    **ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**
    description

First of all, I want to say that I love that Amy Harmon decided to write a Fantasy novel. She is one of the most well-rounded authors and can write, in my opinion, in any genre she wants. I don't read a lot of Fantasy novels because I find the story-building sometimes a bit complicated. You get a lot of information in a small time of frame, and it is difficult to absorb all of it. However, I never got that feeling from The First Girl
    Amy | Foxy Blogs
    Hauntingly Excellent!

A moving representation of how 2 wrongs don’t make a right and the power of love.

The First Girl Child is a story that rocks you to your bones. The sheer words alone captivate with their power. They flow across the pages telling the story of a parent's love for their beloved child. The depths they endure to allow their child to have a better life is alluring. Along with the intense despair, a parent feels while watching a child make life choices and the consequences that e
    Talon
    May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    As I am typing this review out, I am also currently packing up my house so that I can permanently take up residency inside of Amy Harmon's pretty brain. Could you just imagine the amount of magic you would witness if you spent your days inside of there? I can. And let me tell you, it sounds like my dream vacation destination.

While reading The First Girl Child, I loved a lot of things. Below, I am going to bullet point each one. I feel like this should be a very organized and broken down review.
    warhawke
    Genre: Fantasy
    Type: Standalone
    POV: Third Person
    Rating:

The day Bayr was born, the kingdom of Saylok changed irrevocably. Unbeknownst to the people, a curse was unleashed that made them barren of female newborns. As the years progressed and desperation mounted, Alba became the first girl child to be born in Saylok. But hope for her to be their salvation was shattered when the curse persisted. He would do anything to protect her and neither of them had any idea how their fate intertwined with the
    Mary S. R.
    I recieved an ARC through NetGalley for an honest review. Many thanks to the publisher, 47North! 😳😍

Bayr of Saylok, bastard son of a powerful and jealous chieftain, is haunted by the curse once leveled by his dying mother. Bartered, abandoned, and rarely loved, she plagued the land with her words: From this day forward, there will be no daughters in Saylok.

Raised among the Keepers at Temple Hill, Bayr is gifted with inhuman strength. But he’s also blessed with an all-too-human heart that beats wi
    Christie«SHBBblogger»
    Epic!!! Review to come!
    Alexandra
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites, 2019
    I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

This is going to be a hard review to write. Not because I didn't enjoy the book. People I plan on re-reading, re-listening to the audiobook and hope that Amy Harmon writes spin-off novellas and invent a way for a certain couple to be together. Needless to say, this is Amy Harmon's finest work in the fantasy genre. I didn't think that "The first Girl Child" would top The Bird and the Sw
    Karen
    Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Just WOW!

Every time I read an Amy Harmon book I pray that a film producer will pick it up and make it into a film. The scenes in the book and the characters are so beautifully described that they played out in big screen cinematography as I read it.

The First Girl Child has left me spellbound. I don’t know how I can move on. I want to return to the land of Saylok and stay there forever with the keepers of the Temple. I want to climb to the top of Shinway and find the cave with the runes.

Amy Harm
    Cliffhanger? - No
    Publication Date – August 20, 2019
    Genre – Fantasy
    Rating – 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story

OK – I had a really hard time rating this book because when I first finished it, I thought “OK, maybe a 4 because it was slow starting”….but then after I thought about it and how everything came together, I was like…”I’m b
    Tracy  C
    Wonderful. This was a bit different genre for me and I totally enjoyed it. I loved the fantasy aspect and the writing was top notch. I did have trouble remember all the names and who they were. The nature of the world had them start with the same letter/sound for the same clans, which was cool. But it made it difficult for my Swiss cheese brain!
    Brandie
    So fantastic - I’m in awe of Amy’s storytelling. She continues to blow me away with every book.
    Amy Harmon
    Aug 15, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    A breathtaking fantasy of a cursed kingdom, warring clans, and unexpected salvation.

The First Girl Child, a historical fantasy, will be released in ebook, paperback and audio on August 20, 2019.

Available on:
    KINDLE | PAPERBACK | AUDIO

For as the woman is of the man.
    Even so is the man also of the woman.

1 Corinthians 11:22

Within the walls and behind the Temple doors lives an unexpected salvation—a girl.

She was framed by the light of the gray afternoon. And in that moment he saw the woman
    Ari
    4.5 totally 'runed' stars.

I buddy read this baby with Sophie from Beware Of The Reader, and I can safely say, we're both totally in love with it.

Let's start with the basics: The Author.

I'm positive that almost everyone who's read her, can't help but fall in love with Amy's writing. And this book was no exception.

Now, I have personally never read one of her more "adventure" centered books, my favorites having been Making Faces (obviously), and The Law of Moses and A Song for David, but when I s
    Al *the semi serial series skipper*
    ***I received this ARC courtesy of Netgallery in exchange for an honest review***

In her true fashion, Amy Harmon has delivered an exceptional read. If you enjoyed The Law of Moses and The Queen and the Cure, you will enjoy this one.

I'll admit the first 50-60 % were slow that I considered not finishing it,it really does pick up at the end. This was such a beautiful heartfelt story and I wish things had turned out differently for one of the characters.

Totally recommend.
    Lani
    May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
    3.5

This story started out with a great story plot but kind of ended in a rush. Since this is an ARC copy, I am hoping they still might make some changes.

Bayr was born from a scorned mother. Her baby's daddy didn't want anything to do with her after he found out she was pregnant. What is a girl to do? Curse him to never have a living heir again, and the whole city to never have new girls to breed with of course! Yeah, she was a bit pissed. So, Bayr's uncle, who is a keeper (the equivalent of a mo
    Minni Mouse
    This book is neither what I expected nor what I wanted from Amy Harmon. I flat-out wanted a tender, pure romance like The Queen and the Cure. I expected a fantasy world-building like The Lumatere Chronicles with the scope and emotion of Quintana of Charyn. What we have instead is a patient, subtle, character-driven story like Daughter of the Forest but with several characters.

The First Girl Child, contrary to the blurb description, isn't centered around Bayr's or Alba's romance. Spanning t
    ♠️ TABI ♠️
    "This is not a world where a man or woman gets much choice in their happiness. We are born into war and each day is a battle."

description

From the first sentence on the first page, I was utterly captivated by this story. And while I came expecting a gutsy, brutal tale of a single young girl raised in a male-dominated world . . . this story is actually quite opposite. The ferocity in here is soft and kinda sleepy, but in no way does that diminish its strength. The power of this book crept up on me, and whi
    Brandi
    Apr 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    *Read Now* on Netgalley <3
    Bojana
    May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites

Wow. What a great journey this was!

This story, set on imaginary island of Saylok and inhabited by six Viking clans, is obviously inspired by Norse mythology and since I am a huge fan of it (Norse mythology), this book was just perfect. I will also be so bold to say that every person who loves Norse mythology and fantasy genre will enjoy this book. And (if I just may add) plot starts with a curse of failed woman, and there is just one way it can be broken. What more should I say!?
    "We are abused
    Melissa
    Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: content, fantasy
    Harmon always weaves the most intense, interesting stories. Her books leave me thinking and grateful and feeling like I went on a journey. This one was a little different the her others. Most of her books are about two people falling in love with the world heaving around them. This is about a world and the different people in it who love and loose and fight. Her Characters always pull me with them through there thoughts, feelings and actions. She is a brilliant story teller and the world she has ...more
    Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: July 22nd 2019

"I've come to believe that home is not a place. Home is inside of us. Home is the people we love. Home is what we strive for."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and 47North in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
    Maria
    May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Amy Harmon knocked this fantasy right out of the park! Holy W O W. I love her strong female characters. They are what females of the reading world need. Her writing is mesmerizing and captivating. GET THIS BOOK NOW.
    -  Michelle Claypot_Reads
    Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Absolutely AMAZING!!!!

Amy Harmon managed to completely lure me into this world of Saylok. I was obsessed with Alba and Bayr. Obsessed!! This one is different to my usual reads and it completely captivated me.

You get Norse mythology, magic and mystery. Curses and tragedy are themes and I have to say I was sad when it ended. I could have easily read another 500 pages about these characters. It's a 2019 Favourite for me for sure!

I received an arc of this book
    Christa
    I’ve come to believe that home is not a place. Home is inside of us. Home is the people we love. Home is what we strive for.

In a Norse based fantasy, the power of runes drawn with blood can give powers.

Blood was the only thing the earth answered to. Blood represented sacrifice, and the earth would not trade her secrets for anything less.

A woman has been used and left by a cruel chieftain, and after she births his child, she curses the chieftain and the land with her dying breath.

“We are a
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
    Amy Harmon is a Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and New York Times Bestselling author. Amy knew at an early age that writing was something she wanted to do, and she divided her time between writing songs and stories as she grew. Having grown up in the middle of wheat fields without a television, with only her books and her siblings to entertain her, she developed a strong sense of what made a good ...more