Start by marking “Lord of Secrets (The Empty Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lord of Secrets (The Empty Gods, #1)

Lord of Secrets

(The Empty Gods #1)

Magic is poison. Secrets are power. Death is . . . complicated.

Outlaw wizard Corcoran Gray has enough problems. He's friendless, penniless and on the run from the tyrannical Mages' Guild - and with the search for his imprisoned grandfather looking hopeless, his situation can't get much worse.

So when a fugitive drops into his lap - literally - and gets them both arrested, it's the last stworse.

Published August 8th 2019 by Jo Fletcher Books

To ask other readers questions about Lord of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of Secrets

Start your review of Lord of Secrets (The Empty Gods, #1)
Liz
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic, fantasy, netgalley
Hands down, no dramas – loved it!

For starters- magic! There is soooo much magic in this book! Lord of Secrets is ALL about magic. The interesting kind of magic that has unfavourable side-effects. The kind of side-effects that make a wizard think- man, do I really HAVE to use magic right now? Can I do away with a smaller scale spell?

The runes I had washed off the parchment were sloshing around in my stomach, mixed with wine and bile. I hiccupped, and grimaced at the acrid taste in my mouth.

Ooh! And
Blodeuedd Finland
This one felt light, and for once light is not a good thing. It did not feel fully fleshed out, I had no idea about history, geography, culture, what anyone looked like, how old anyone was. I knew nothing of this world. Except that there are mages, and a king, oh and slaves, and churches.

Grey is a mage, but one illegally since all must belong to a guild. His grandpa was taken, since he too was not in a guild (see where I am going with this?). So he is trying to find him.

B
Megan
This book was like going to really cheap buffet and then, and then when you're halfway down the line and well acquainted with the plain food, a michelin quality dish appears before you. It's like, wow this is some tasty food. But also, what the hell is it doing in a place like this?

In this metaphor the tasty food is a single character, Jack. (Jack is not actually the character's name, but it's what I'm going to call him for the sake of spoilers. It's short for Jack Shephard, because
Moon
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book, it made me laugh, it made me want to know more.
Roy
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty standard 1st person POV wizard/necromancer adventure fantasy. Some half decent characters. Plot was very simple but the biggest downfall was the complete lack of worldbuilding. Alot of fantasy out there. Would appeal to people who like the simple fantasy style without being too dark.
Atlas
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
People see the world and think it's made of wind and rock and water, when really it's made of spells and words

* * *
3 / 5

Lord of Secrets was a deceptively simple story: a young man is searching for his captured grandfather. He is told to find a man and steal a relic from a temple. To be honest, it was very refreshing to read a book that had a clear direction. I've read way too many books that are needlessly complicated for the sake of surprising the reader.

Just like that, he/>Just
c,
yeah,

Rep: major gay side character, bi side character
Rebecca
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC from the Publisher via Netgalley for an honest review and can confirm all opinions are my own.

This has got to be one of the best debuts I've read in a long time. I blazed through this book in a matter of days and was thoroughly hooked by the plot and characters.

Corcoran Grey is an easy character to like. He is hilarious, most of the time without trying, passionate and despite what he tells you, an extremely good guy. Hes a character with great disability represen
Strawberry
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, I’m not really sure what to say after reading this! It’s a good fantasy story with some great characters and has a unique twist on how magic works, and the consequences of using it which I haven’t read before in a fantasy book, but for some reason I just didn’t enjoy reading this as much as I had hoped. Lord of Secrets is the first in the Empty Gods series but feels more like a stand alone novel with the story wrapping up nicely at the end. It begins with the main character, Corcoran Gray, ...more
Gemma
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kindly gifted a copy of this book via the publisher in exchange for a review and I'm pleased to say that I really liked this story. I've been really enjoying diving into some more adult fantasy lately and I definitely think this one sits in that realm over YA. The story is simple but great, we aren't following some really complex plot with several storylines and perspectives and, although I do like that type of read, this one was a refreshing change. However, just because the story is simp ...more
Jacey
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dark-fantasy
Oh my goodness, I enjoyed this. It was a random read from Netgalley, a debut from Breanna Teintze, published by Quercus. I didn't intend to read it until closer to the publication date (8th August) but I glanced at it out of curiosity and got sucked right in.

Corcoran Gray is an outlaw wizard, pitted against the Mages' Guild who have imprisoned his grandfather. He's got no money, no friends, and he's on the run. Could it get any worse? The answer is, of course, yes. Ms Teintze has use
Izzie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
Unfortunately this book just wasn't for me, though I did enjoy the humour.
johana // bookmarauder
thieves. riddles. rouge wizards. trickster gods. magic—oh the magic, it was everywhere! and not your normal magic, no, interesting magic where it causes undesirable side-effects to the user.

the plot is so simple but amazing, there isn’t any need for the complex plot with a dozen storylines and POV’s—i do love these types of reads but it’s always nice to have a refreshing change. don’t think that just because the plot is simple, it isn’t worth reading because it is, i flew through this book in a few days!/>

the
Gemma McGee
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lord of Secrets has one of my favourite opening pages/ first sentence in any fantasy book I have read. It had me smiling.

Corcoran Gray is a character I liked straight away, he is sarcastic, smart, and he is trying to his best in a bad situation. His inner monologue is one of my favourite element of the book. Also Gray has a disability, which does affect his abilities. But it doesn't stop him.

Another element I enjoyed about Lord of Secrets was the way in which magic w
Sarah Wright
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars — seriously cool magic and entertaining character conflicts

One of the most captivating books I've read in months, Lord of Secrets drew me in with its system of poisonous magic and held my attention with a cast of strong-minded characters whose clashing personalities led to humor and horror in turns. Breanna Teintze's debut capitalizes on imaginative worldbuilding and classic rescue quest format but doesn't skimp on wit or atmosphere. I was hooked from the first chapter!

Kate Avery
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites-2019
You know when you pick up a book and it’s an instant click, the kind that you are pretty sure of after the first chapter, well I had that with Lord of Secrets. I honestly had trouble putting it down and anytime I did I was itching to get back to this wonderful fantasy world.

The premise of this book is surprisingly simple but really well-executed. The magic was an awesome construct, I like that there was a give and take and that Grey was pushing the boundaries and showing what kind of
Hannah Snell
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book both a lot of fun and a bit of a struggle.

First, I loved the magic-casting system. It's based on reading runes, which have to be written somewhere, often on the caster's body. And casting magic has side effects, which can take the length of the spell to come into affect, leaving the caster ill and damaged by the toxicity. In addition to that is a race of people, the Tyrnaal, who can absorb the toxic effects of magic, and are used for this. Add to that is a political
Vivienne
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
My thanks to Quercus Books/Jo Fletcher Books for an eARC via NetGalley of Breanna Teintze’s debut novel, ‘Lord of Secrets’, in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first in a planned series titled ‘The Empty Gods’. It’s a fast-paced fantasy romp with a group of memorable characters. There is great dialogue and plenty of razor sharp wit as well as a highly engaging storyline.

Corcoran Gray is a wizard on the run. He is seeking the location of his imprisoned grandfather
Leonie Byrne
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Thank you to Netgalley, Quercus Books and Breanna Teintze for my arc of Lord of Secrets in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Corcoran Gray is an outlaw wizard, and the Mages Guild... well the Mages Guild don't like that. For one, they've imprisoned his grandfather and Gray isn't having any luck finding him, that is until an escaped temple slave quite literally falls into his lap and seems like she could be the key to helping him get his grandfather back. It's fairly simple after all, all
Ella (The Story Collector)
Corcoran Gray is an outlaw wizard, on the run from the Mages’ Guild as he tries to figure out a way to rescue his grandfather from imprisonment. When he gets tangled up with fugitive Brix and they both get arrested, things don’t seem like they could get much worse. That is, until Gray realises that Brix could be the key to finding and releasing his grandfather. All they have to do is escape from the Guild, break into an ancient underground temple, and survive a meeting with a deadly necromancer. ...more
Leannes-Booklist
Okay, first things first: Jo Fletcher books were advertising their ARCs of Lord of Secrets, I requested a copy and they were very kind to send me one! So thanks so much to Jo Fletcher books for the generous offer! That said all opinions in this review are honest and 100% my own~
A fuller review can be found at my blog, Snowly's Rambles

I have to say, this book was a pretty good read; it did start off a little slow but it definitely got better as time went on. As soon as who I will call Mr
Heather K Veitch
Jul 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I tried really hard to like this book, but most of the time I was confused. In terms of the opening, I appreciate the author thrusting the reader straight into the action, but I initially didn’t have much to go on in terms of the main protagonist's name/appearance, which really threw me for a ball. Here was a character, driven to illness through use of magic, who was in the middle of some kind of conflict due to the sudden appearance of a stranger — the second protagonist, who I got to know a li ...more
Helen French
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sffh, netgalley, 2019
Corcoran Gray, a rogue wizard operating outside the rules of the Mages Guild, is on the run and on a mission, desperate to recover an artefact that might save his grandfather's life.

He gets sat on in a haybarn (long story) by Brix, a young woman with secrets of her own, who is soon drawn into his plans. They pick up an old friend of his grandfather's and travel deep, deep into a temple, unaware of what's lying in wait for them.

This is an interesting start to a fantasy series, being
Katy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Jo Fletcher books and Breanna Teintze for sending me this copy for review. All thoughts of this book are honest and of my own opinion.

Well I loved this book, I really enjoyed the whole concept of a wizard on the run who has a purpose; the need to find his grandfather and how strong that need is.

I was really drawn to the main character, Gray. I always gravitate towards characters that are broken and Gray certainly is that. He has grown up in a broken home whe
Andover Library
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was definitely a bit of a slow burn to start with but even so it kept my interest. I can’t pinpoint exactly when it happened, but I suddenly realised I was completely invested in the story and definitely wanted to keep reading.

I love the magic system in this book. It’s so well thought through and believable. I really like how it can’t just be used on the spur of the moment or constantly without exacting a toll on the user.

Gray was an interesting and rounded lead, with
Matt McAbee
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Corcoran Grey unlicensed mage has been looking for his grandfather for months. This debut novel from Breanna Tientze is a wonderful tale full of magic and treachery. Grey is determined to find his grandfather and will go through all challenges including an immortal necromancer.
Lord of Secrets has a very original magic system where you have to write down the runes for the spell before they can be cast, but each spell you cast poisons you at the same time and requires the mages to either f
David Harris
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm grateful to Jo Fletcher Books for a free advance e-copy of this book via NetGalley and inviting me to take part in the book's blogtour.

I love a book with a grabby, exciting beginning, and Lord of Secrets has that, as rogue young wizard Corcoran Gray, who happens to be invisible at the time, crashes into a remote barn and encounters escaped slave-girl Brix.

Thrown together, the two embark on a series of breakneck adventures, hunted both by the Temples (Brix) and the Mag
Jess Crafts
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea going into this book that it would become a list of things I LOVE. Seriously. Thieves. Magic. Riddles. Secret caverns. Morally corrupt Trickster gods. And it was all done so well. Once it got going I had a problem putting this book down (to the extent I nearly missed a very rare dinner outing because I lost track of time!)

The magic system worked by writing spells down (normally on the casters body) but it also causes a poison to build up which means the magic used is n
Mike
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every so often I encounter a book that I enjoyed while reading it, but somehow had trouble remembering soon afterwards, and this is one. I can't put my finger on why.

It had some good elements, definitely. Motivated protagonist (his grandfather has been captured by the bad guys and is probably being tortured). Dynamic situation (there's a race on for an artefact that could unleash horrible undead warriors and plunge the world into war, or might save the grandfather, and the protagonist has clues
Nikki
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this so much. It’s fun and hilarious in places, and yet still has quite a dark story about necromancy!

Gray reminded me a lot of Harry Dresden, I instantly liked him because of it. He’s self sacrificing, a bit of an idiot at times, far too smart for his own good and massively out of his depth. What’s not to like?? Plus he’s so funny.

I went back and forth a little on the two main side characters -
Goodreads Librari...: Lord of Secrets 3 15 Sep 02, 2019 01:44AM

The Empty Gods (2 books)
  • Lady of Shadows (The Empty Gods Book 2)