Start by marking “So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen” as Want to Read:

An inspiring, comprehensive, step-by-step guide to creating a hit show, So You Want to Start a Podcast covers everything from hosting and guest booking to editing and marketing - while offering plenty of encouragement and insider stories along the way.

Though they are the fastest-growing form of media, podcasts can actually be tricky to create—and even harder to sustain.
Published August 6th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about So You Want to Start a Podcast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You Want to Start a Podcast

Start your review of So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen
Tina
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a clear, easy to understand, and entertaining look into the world of podcasting! Kristen's voice comes through loud and clear. I enjoyed the concrete examples and most of all, her empowerment! I don't have a podcast but I found that most of what she shared can translate to anything creative. I enjoyed this inside baseball look at podcasting. Well done!
Andrea
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From beginners to experienced podcasters, this book is a fun, fast read full of helpful resources.
Over half the book applies to people who have existing shows, and I found the Cast It/Make It/Share It/Grow It sections incredibly helpful. It was also fun to go back and re-think our existing show (Preheated, the Baking Podcast) using the prompts and questions in the Dream It/Write It/Host It sections. Also the Diversity section is something you won't find elsewhere, and it's so important.

Other
Katelyn Jenkins
Pretty good stuff. Took notes. Makes podcasting seem simple. Now I know how to make one.
Easy. :) Thank you for the lesson Kristen!!
Amanda Mae
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of pretty solid advice, some common sense and some from years of learned experience, on getting started on a podcast. I've been contemplating starting one myself, and this gave me lots of good thinking points and check list ideas to work with. Definitely purchasing for my library!
Michele
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don’t know that I’m any closer to launching my long-conceived podcast, but if and when I’m ready to, this book will be the step-by-step guide I’ll use. Great insights and behind-the-scenes stories kept this from being anything but dry.
Aligermaa Tse
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not trying to start a podcast but this book is such a gem. It had so many useful tips you could apply to your work in general. What other way to listen than an audiobook for a book about a podcast.
Sacha Black
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book giving good all round guidance for anyone wanting to start a podcast. This isn't a technical guide, you won't learn how to edit audio. But you will get lots of top tips, things to go research and a grounding in all the strategy you need for podcast production.
Lydia
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the audiobook of So You Want to Start a Podcast. For people who listen to Kristen on By the Book, it is a joy to hear a familiar voice reading aloud. (I kept on expecting her to say "That's what the book says, and so that's what we did for two weeks straight" at the end of each instructional list.) As a non-podcaster, I still got many new ideas for how to improve my blog and other creative projects.
Jana Light
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lively, engaging, thoroughly practical guide to successful podcasting from someone in "the biz." I was really impressed with this book as an excellent example the "how to" genre, a genre I'm not normally drawn to. Meinzer includes solid research to back up her claims, as well as engaging stories to illustrate how things work well (or not so well). The chapters are brief and digestible, and she definitely hits the concise-quality-over-quantity metric she encourages in podcasting.

The book is
Cody
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is some good basic info in this book, there were some issues. First, at the start of each chapter and/or section in the audiobook, there is a sharp and loud "click" that was sloppily left in. I'm not sure how serious I'm supposed to take an author who creates audio for a living, but releases a quite terribly produced product. Second, I felt very alienated early on, when the author described how 2/3 of podcast hosts are white men, and we should be diverse. Diversity is all good and fine, ...more
Annie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text
A couple of weeks ago, I said something apparently amusing to my husband, Dave, who replied, "We're really funny. We should do a podcast!" I really liked the idea and I've been thinking about it a lot ever since. I remembered that Kristen's book was about to come out (serendipity or what?) so bought the Kindle version and read it while travelling around Norway this week. It's a fun read, and also tremendously useful. I was particularly amused by the bit that said, 'I hope one of your reasons ...more
Melanie
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kristen Meinzer is a podcasting queen in an industry that started out with a lot of bros. She's also incredibly sweet, and, as a fan of her podcast By the Book, I could hear her nice and fun Minnesota accent in every word of this book. And that's a good thing. It's written just like she talks and encourages the reader along the way that "you can do this!" But it's also full of helpful tips and things to consider as she explains exactly how to start a podcast. It's definitely for beginners, hence ...more
Bruce
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy read with lots of great practical tips for starting a podcast. I really like that the beginning focused on deep thoughts about what your podcast is about and why you want to launch one. It made so much sense to think about those things and she poses great questions to consider. Then it gets into practical tips. I think after reading so many self help books she knows how to distill information and steps into very simple and easy to follow instructions. It made everything super easy ...more
Stephan
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
I read it from cover to cover, basically in one obsessive sitting. Kristen Meinzer offers a fascinating look at how podcasts are structured, produced, distributed, and promoted. Yes, it is a how-to guide — but fans of podcasts will find it interesting even if they don't plan on making one themselves.

A lot of the advice on how to create engaging content, how to find and build an audience, how to promote, etc., can certainly be transferred to other creative fields. I'm a musician and
Woobat
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book! I’ve been noodling around starting a podcast and read a few other podcasting books and articles before this came out. I’ve listened to the author for years on her podcasts and was early awaiting the release of her book. It covers all of the parts of podcasting that I was struggling with: how to narrow down and frame an idea, choosing a structure, how to promote a podcast, how to syndicate. This isn’t a technical book, but I wasn’t looking for that - I think the actual ...more
Trace Nichols
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea. This book was a podcast with a lot of filler and pats on the back. A bit too much "I am brilliant" and a bit too much "you are amazing, you can do it" cheerleading without the deeper dive into the "how-to". I agree with many of the points made about needing to widen the diversity range that podcasts target, as well some of the general pointers would be of value to any would-be podcaster... but it just stayed on the surface, absorbed in the shallows.
Abigail
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Started out really great but as time went on her tone got a little annoying and I didn't appreciate her commentary on certain things. I want to know how to make a podcast, not the author's thoughts on the demographics of the podcasting community or what some call vocal fry (I finally know what this is haha). Some might find this interesting, I found it unnecessary. I did like a lot of what she had to say overall though. A speedy read, definitely glad I went ahead and gave it a shot.
Tammie Painter
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was just okay. It did have plenty of good tips on conducting interviews and things to think about before starting a podcast. The book does state from the outset that it's not going to give technical advice, but it would have been nice if even a small chapter had been dedicated to some of the technical aspects of podcasting, even if only as an intro to the topic.
Taylor Estes
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: help
I had a lot of fun reading this! I don't (at all) want to start a podcast, but I love podcasts, Kristen Meinzer, and especially By the Book (a podcast she co-hosts). This was a quick and easy read that held the interest of this non-host.
Jade Wright
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE the By The Book Podcast and as a fellow podcaster myself I knew I had to read this book. So happy I did. Great advice. Empowering. Uplifting. Motivational. Inspiring. The perfect book for those who want to start a podcast.
Hannah Hethmon
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grabbed the book because I love Meinzer’s podcast “By the Book” and I’m a newer podcast producer who does a lot of teaching and I’m always looking for more information to pass on to my students/clients.

I enjoyed the book. I think the sections on show development and the insider info on working with networks and other industry elements are most useful. A lot of the information here won’t be useful to the average Jane on the street starting a podcast (like “Hire a Producer”), but is still
Leah
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chatty, breezy, friendly, and helpful. It’s certainly not a technical guide, so I definitely need to learn more about that (huge) aspect, but it covered almost everything else in a warm and illuminating way. It felt like hanging out with a friend over coffee while she teaches you something.
L. III
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Not sure that i am ready for a podcast yet but everything i need to know is certainly here. In fact, the majority of Kristen's tips can be applied to a person who wants to blog!
Jewelia Howard
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a really informative and interesting book about podcasts written by a heckin delightful podcast host. highly recommend if ur ever thinking about starting a podcast
Taron
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on starting a podcast. Entertaining to read and tells you exactly what you need to know, while most importantly helping you answer the question "why"?
Jim Sestito
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
If you want to start anything. Read about that thing. Podcast included. This book included.
Gillian
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super practical, helpful and encouraging. I wish I'd had it when I started a podcast last year! Highly recommend to anyone interested in podcasting.
Kelly Chase
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, entertaining and practical.
Carolyn Illman
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not planning on creating a podcast, but I like everything Kristen Meinzer does. Interesting read!
Leslie
Sep 12, 2019 added it
more than anything, this book informed me that i DON'T want to make a podcast. well lined-out, informative, and engaging

• Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • 24/6
  • The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
  • How to Be Heard: Secrets for Powerful Speaking and Listening
  • Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • Making Space, Clutter Free: The Last Book on Decluttering You'll Ever Need
  • Big Dreams, Daily Joys: Get Things Done, Make Space for What Matters, Achieve Your Dreams
  • The War for Kindness: Building Empathy in a Fractured World
  • Normal Sucks: How to Live, Learn, and Thrive Outside the Lines
  • Fake: A startling true story of love in a world of liars, cheats, narcissists, fantasists and phonies
  • Marriageology: The Art and Science of Staying Together
  • Limitless Mind: Learn, Lead, and Live Without Barriers
  • Late Bloomers: The Power of Patience in a World Obsessed with Early Achievement
  • Rebooting AI: Building Artificial Intelligence We Can Trust
  • There's No Plan B for Your A-Game: Be the Best in the World at What You Do
  • Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
  • The Immoral Majority: Why Evangelicals Chose Political Power Over Christian Values
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
Kristen Meinzer is an award-winning podcast host, producer, commentator, speaker, and author specializing in contemporary social issues and popular culture. She is the co-host of "By The Book," along with Moth Storyslam winner Jolenta Greenberg and "We Love You (And So Can You)," also with Greenberg. Prior hosting credits include "When Meghan Met Harry," along with MTVUK host James Barr; CNN's ...more