Start by marking “Being Reshma: The Extraordinary Story of an Acid-Attack Survivor who Took the World by Storm” as Want to Read:

On 19 May 2014, as seventeen-year-old Reshma Qureshi left home for the examination centre, wearing her sister’s niqab, everything happened in a flash. The men rushed towards her. Grabbed her. Tugged at her hair. Poured acid on her face. Soon she started to burn like a living corpse. The acid ate through her skin and aimed for her bones, but it could not quell the fire in h ...more
Published December 14th 2018 by Pan Macmillan India

To ask other readers questions about Being Reshma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Reshma

Start your review of Being Reshma: The Extraordinary Story of an Acid-Attack Survivor who Took the World by Storm
Nandakishore Varma
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Acid attacks are rather common in India (yes, shocking, but true!) – and they are mostly carried out against young women. In most cases, the perpetrators are spurned suitors, jilted lovers or ex-husbands; because in a society where woman is objectified to the extreme, her physical beauty is seen to personify her in toto. Destroy it, without killing the person: and condemn her to a life of misery as a living corpse. In an impossibly male chauvinist society such as in India, this would be deemed j
Apoorva
'Being Reshma’ is an incredibly powerful and eye-opening account of the life of Reshma Qureshi, an acid attack survivor who’s now a model, a vlogger, and an anti-acid activist.

I did not know about Reshma before I came across this book but I’m glad I got to read her story. It was really hard for me to get through this book as it was heart-wrenching but it was also beautiful and motivating.

In our world, where the future is unreservedly considered to be as grim as the past (if not more), we obse
Bharath
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reshma’s is an amazing story, of finding purpose in life after suffering cruelty of the kind one would not imagine for anyone. Somehow, I had not followed her story before, though now I can see it was widely known and circulated.

Reshma Qureshi is one of five children born to a family in Mumbai who just about are able to make ends meet and struggle to educate the children. Her father, was a taxi driver who owned two taxis, one of which he drove himself. He is keen that his children get educated a
Aakanksha
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
It is a story of Reshma Qureshi, an acid attack survivor written by Tania Singh. In 2014, Reshma was attacked by her elder sister Gulshan's husband, Jamaluddin, and his two acquaintances. She was seventeen years old at that time and going to the exam center. Little did he know that that day will gonna change her life forever.

Born and brought up in Mumbai, Reshma lives in a chawl with his parents, two elder brothers, Riyaz, Aizaz, and sisters, Gulshan, and Nargis. Being the youngest child, she w
Grady
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Perhaps if I had done all those things, I would never have been attacked with acid.’

Tania Singh has provided a history for the public of both a horrible deed as related by the victim and a paean to the courage and strength of the victim of a dastardly crime.

This is the story of Reshma Qureshi who suffered an acid attack and lived to not only share the crime but to become a spokesperson for others who undergo mutilated victims of crime. Reshma relates her history form her family and her birth t
Krutika Puranik
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Samita Kaur Mangat Bal
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Journey of Reshma from a carefree child to an acid attack survivor and then working as a crusader and spreading awareness for the cause. Well written book by Tania. Wish you all the best with your organisation Make love not scars.
Devika  Suresh
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It requires some courage to read this book top to bottom. To be honest I didn't had that courage at some pages or other

Hats off to Reshma and her will power
Amanjyot Bains
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reshma's story is heart wrenching yet inspirational. Very well written.. ...more
Miina Saarna
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reading2019
Definitely an interesting, inspiring as well as eye opening read. I just wish that the author would have dedicated some pages to explaining what happened to her attackers.
Rhea (Rufus Reads)
Made me cry. Tugged at all the last shreds of my humanity. But left me feeling so hopeful, and so resolute. Cannot rate this book as one cannot really rate Reshma's life story. What an inspiring warrior. ...more
Suprama Singh
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Finding the right shade of lipstick is harder than finding concentrated acid."
"Why is a litre of concentrated acid sold cheaper than a 9 ml eyeliner?"
"It takes 2 minutes to put on blush but only 3 seconds to scar a face."

Being Reshma is a heart-wrenching, powerful account of a 19-year-old acid attack survivor. Whilst I was reading it, I did experience a journey of conflicting emotions. This book is an extraordinary memoir of a girl who had once considered killing herself but took the world by s
Piyusha Vir
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An acid attack is, in my opinion, one of the most heinous and damaging crimes against women.

This book impacted me deeply, and I am glad I got the chance to read it.
It is an extremely personal narrative of Reshma’s growing up years. The conversational tone helps keep it light and friendly – as if you’re chatting with her over the phone or messenger. I gather this is the outcome of her comfort level and interactions with Tania Singh, her co-writer for this book. Full kudos to both Reshma and Tani
Sanika
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an honest account of acid attack survivor - Reshma. She was unfortunately at the wrong place at the wrong time, and inspite of being innocent, she had to suffer.
The book portrays her journey from being a young 17 years old carefree girl to an acid attack survivor. I cried alot while reading.
Prakhar Sachdeo
Trust me, I will take the story and the book to as many people as possible! Fellow readers if you have come to this space so i am sure you would have been as moved as I am by the story. Let us all give the book the highest ratings and make this the book of the year.
Reshma
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very inspiring read.

The account of the road to survival is harrowing but at the same time how Reshma fights back and finds a purpose in her life is very inspiring.

A must read
Ms Rawat
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A heart-touching real life story of an acid attack survivor in India. The simple and candid writing makes it a quick read. Finished reading this book in one day.
Ayush Bhattal
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read for indians. An emotional journey of a fighter
Arunayan Sharma
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Narrative story of acid attacked survivor is very very heart touching.
Sonali Dabade
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
4.25 stars!

I'm rather speechless at the moment after reading this book, of Reshma's ordeal and of her rising back up and gloriously so. I liked the narration and appreciate the way Tania Singh is generous with the details where it needs to be and not much so where it isn't required.

I appreciate that it might be the family's decision to step back but a couple of things I'd have loved to read about: What was her family's reaction when all the adulation came her way? How did Gulshan cope with it, s
Akshaya Thulasi
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Being Reshma" is a incredibly emotional and powerfully eye-opening story of Reshma Qureshi, an acid attack survivor who's now a Model, a Vlogger and an Anti-Acid Sale Activist.

This book lets us know Reshma Qureshi from the time of her early youth to how Reshma overcame her struggles to become a powerful voice for several acid survivors and an inspiration for many.

Reshma is the youngest girl in her family. She grew up with her brothers and sisters in a conservative household in Mumbai.

When her
Page:- 230
Format:- Paperback
Publication:- Pan Macmillan
Rating:- 5/5 🌟

It's a Acid attack survivor Biography and this is really harsh and hit read for us as a society.
Reshma Qureshi a 17 year old girl going for the exam. But destiny have some other plans for her, yaa she is the first Acid attack survivor to walk the runway at the New-York Fashion week.
She is the core reason who force government to stop open acid sale in india.
Anna
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reshma Bano Qureshi is an Indian model, vlogger, and anti-acid activist. She was only 17 when she was attacked with acid by her brother in law. Being Reshma is her story. It's a hauntingly heart-wrenching account of a woman who managed to survive and thrive despite all odds.

Reshma's story includes devastating accounts of medical negligence, mental health issues like PTSD and depression, surgical ordeals and a general lack of apathy amongst masses and professionals both.
It also talks of hope, per
Rituparna
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people above the age of 10
Recommended to Rituparna by: Father
Prerna Mishra
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story of indomitable spirit

I cannot review this book, because her life cannot and should not be reviewed.

I am not sure if I should applause or abhor the duplicity of human nature. We can find the demon in us to throw acid on someone. We can also find the strength in us to rise above such atrocities to help ourselves and others recover. Healers can be demons and strangers can be angels.

What is commendable is human spirit. It has the capacity to rise like a phoenix from the ashes. It has the
AKHIL S
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is not a book, its the display of shocking facts about Indian society in 2014. This is a must-read one which will definitely bring tears in your eyes. actually, books like these is a realization of how brutally women are treated in our country. but such books are rarely happening or the majority of the victims of the social atrocities are not in a state to write one. Reshma's will power is s stepping stone which will bring many women to stand on their feet. the support by her family, and th ...more
Yash Sharma
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An epitome of strength : Reshma Qureshi
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Each time a woman stands for herself, she stands up for all women".

- Maya Angelou

Being reshma, the extraordinary story of an acid attack survivor who took the world by storm is a book which deserves to be read multiple times because other than the inspirational side of this strong woman, this book will make you think about the lethargic and the irresponsible system of our nation.

For the de
Vandana
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think everyone must read this truly inspiring book that makes you realise how life can change in a second ,and thus how we as human beings must be grateful and appreciate every living moment .I salute all the acid attack survivors as it takes tremendous courage to go through this horrific ordeal and survive to share your ordeal with the world .The #endacidsale is a brilliant advert with a strong message . I would like to say that Reshma you truly are a beacon of hope for all people who have lo ...more
Siddharrth Jain
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, the bravest of characters are born out of the gravest tragedies. While some live to share their experience, most cave in to death or to the pressure of societal shame / disownment.

'Being Reshma' is a heart wrenching account of an acid survivor in Reshma Qureshi. Reading her battle got me welled up but left with so many questions, unanswered.

Please do not shy away from reading this haunted yet a triumphant account of a braveheart. She got up when she couldn't! 📚
Priyanka
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was already reading another book when I purchased this book from a store. But couldn't resist the urge of starting today book - Being Reshma - because I knew it was true and it would be intense. Once I started reading it, I continued non-stop.
I can't express in words how deeply I'm touched by every incident narrated in this book. I feel extremely proud of Reshma for everything that she has achieved since then. It gave me inspiration and hope.
Please give it a read