Start by marking “Tiger Queen” as Want to Read:
Tiger Queen

Tiger Queen

From Annie Sullivan, author of A Touch of Gold, comes Tiger Queen, a sweeping YA fantasy adventure that tells the story of a fierce desert princess battling to save her kingdom. Fans of Rebel of the Sands and Meagan Spooner will devour this retelling of Frank Stockton’s famous short story, “The Lady, or the Tiger?”

In the mythical desert kingdom of Achra, an ancient law fo
Published September 10th 2019 by Blink

To ask other readers questions about Tiger Queen, please sign up.

Start your review of Tiger Queen
Amy Imogene Reads

Unfortunately, this was a huge miss for me.

Concept: ★★★★
Execution: ★★ 1/2
Characters: ★★

Tiger Queen was a story that I was incredibly excited to read given its description: A princess is tasked with proving her worth to her kingdom by fighting her potential suitors in a once-a-month arena battle in front of her kingdom. If she can beat 12 suitors in the year of her majority, she proves her worthiness.

What the synopsis doesn't describe: this seemingly warrior-woman story is completely s
Umairah | Sereadipity
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tiger Queen was a thrilling desert tale about a woman fighting to improve the lives of her people and prove her own worth. It was a clever retelling of the short story, 'The Lady, Or The Tiger?' and I really enjoyed it!

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 4/5

Kateri was the princess of Achra who was tasked with killing twelve of her suitors in arena fights to assert her right to be queen. However, when she realised that her final suitor was a man she wasn't skilled enough to beat, she fled to the de
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“I would be the desert’s justice, mightier than any tiger”

I’m so excited to be reviewing Annie’s sophomore novel Tiger Queen, and I can happily say that she did not fall prey to the sophomore curse with this one. It’s an exciting, unique and empowering fantasy novel that will easily leave readers swept up in it’s dessert setting.

I’ve been lucky enough to call Annie a friend (as many in the online book community have come to) since her debut novel A Touch of Gold was announced. She is
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
Desertathon 2020 🐫🌵 Prompt: Book w/red cover

Have I mentioned I looove desert fantasy??? There's just something so majestic and mesmerizing about a desert. I just can't get enough books with that as the backdrop📚 Feel free to drop any good recs in the comments!

Starting out I was sorta slumping and was a bit grumbly this didn't jump right into the action straightaway, but silly impatient/slumping me, it picked up a bit right after 😁

Kateri, our MC (and typical princess trope 👑), shows us how
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Jennifer at Blink Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
Sand in her veins.
Blood on her sword
A kingdom in the balance

Wait... sand in her veins?? That's gotta hurt!

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy
Cliffhanger? - NO
Publication Date – September 10, 2019
Genre – Fantasy/Retelling
Rating – 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story

I had no idea this was based on the story “The Lady, or the Tiger” before I requested this book to review.

I instantly fell in love with the story and love when a heroine presents herself as a “bad guy” but t
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
This is the first standalone YA fantasy I've read in a long time. It was nice not having a huge cliffhanger at the end, although, I would love to revisit the Kingdom of Achra in a future installment. I really liked the characters, Cion, Princess Kateri and the Desert Boys. They made you want to root for their survival and bring them some water.: ) I enjoyed the desert setting and the world building too. I felt like I could feel the unforgiving sand and the nagging thirst right along with them.

*I
 Amelia
This book reminded me of Blood and Sand - they both have kick ass warrior woman as protagonists and it's both set in a sort of desert. I will admit that I liked Blood and Sand more because it was more believable, had writing that was, at least to me, slightly better, and it had lots of other amazing side characters that I loved.

The MC was definitely kick ass and had some mad fighting skills. She's also the future queen and has a strategic way of thinking and is reasonable most of the time. She t
Amanda
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

For some reason I didn't have very high expectations when I started reading this book, but it drew me in from the very first chapter. I didn't expect it to be so cultural. Annie Sullivan does an amazing job conveying just how harsh living in the desert could be. The people not only struggle with the heat and lack of water, but also sandstorms, bugs, scorpions and snakes. The harsh realities of desert living are brought to l
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
Fresh and fiercely feminist, this reimagining of a classic short story delivered the sort of kickass warrior girl action I love to read about. Even better, it belongs to the rare breed of fantasy that takes place in an entirely fictional world but does not rely on magic to make itself unique. But before I get ahead of myself, there’s a bit of explaining I need to do:

I remember the first time I read “The Lady or the Tiger?” back in middle school. It was an interesting read, very short, but also v
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

Tiger Queen presents Kateri, a Princess of Kingdom Achra surrounded by a Desert. Kateri yearns to become the best Warrior in her Kingdom, not just because she desperately seeks her Father's approval, but also because she wants to become the ruler and by consequence, to be free to make her own choices. To do that she has no choice but to fight in the arena.
Kateri wins against almost all of her opponents in th
Cindy ✩☽♔
Nov 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
...Princess Kateri as she fights suitors in an arena to win the right to rule her desert kingdom...

Well this is a fun twist
Maddie
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Have you seen the movie 'Hook'? Okay, so imagine that it took place in the desert and Captain Hook had a daughter that he was going to force to marry an even worse version of Desert Captain Hook, so his daughter runs away to the Desert Lost Boys and falls in love with Off-Brand Desert Peter Pan before returning to take her rightful place as Desert Pirate Princess. If that made any se
Brooke
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Princess Kateri’s kingdom is suffering from a drought, and with water scarce, people who steal water are punished by being forced to choose between two doors: behind one is freedom, behind the other is a tiger. Kateri will not automatically inherit the kingdom from her father, the King; she must fight in the arena to prove her right to rule. But when her final contestant is announced, she knows she will lose and seeks help from the last person she’d expect.

This story was a retellings of ‘The Lad
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
This shouldn't be too spoilery since we learn a lot in the beginning of the book.  I did not include any major spoilers.

I loved A Touch of Gold, but I loved Tiger Queen even more!  My only complaint (besides a food thing I'll mention below) is that I want more from this world.

Kateri has spent her whole life living in Achra.  After her mother and sibling died, Kateri's father began preparing her to lead.  She was told about the history of Achra and how the desert chose the first leader.   Achra
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I received an ARC from the author

It's like The Valiant had a baby with Aladdin but Jasmine becomes the street rat kinda...

This was really cool and honestly a little darker than I was expecting. I am really impressed with how well the battle/combat scenes at the end were written. Only complaint was the epilogue seemed very short and rushed and it just confirmed things I assumed would happen. Also don't think the romance was needed (I feel like I'm saying this on repeat now but don't just add a ro
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you Blink for sending me a copy of TIGER QUEEN in the mail in exchange for an honest review!

I must admit, I never heard of “The Lady, or the Tiger?” before reading Tiger Queen, which is based off the short story. After doing some research and learning more about "The Lady, or the Tiger?" I was really excited to see where Annie Sullivan was going to take Tiger Queen. A fierce desert princess who is hell bent on saving her kingdom? S
Morgan
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ebook
Tiger Queen by Annie Sulivan is inspired by Frank Stockton’s short story, “The Lady, or the Tiger?” My first experience with the story was in English 11 where my enthusiastic teacher was trying his hardest to get the class discussion on the ending started. I, who rather enjoyed analyzing the story and making an assumption on the final outcome offered my opinion that the tiger came out of the door, not the lady.

After giving my original thoughts my teacher began his response to my analysis of the
Allison Tebo
Jan 01, 2020 added it
Shelves: fantasy
I. CAN'T. STAND. IT.

DNF.
Sammy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, arcs
I really liked this story. I think it takes on a lot of issues including abusive family, poverty, and privilege in a well written way. Having not read the short story this book was based off of, it feels original and fun. I enjoyed the roller coaster ride it put me on! Would definitely recommend ☺️
Megan
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story captivated me from the first page! “Tiger Queen” by Annie Sullivan has an “Aladdin” feel to it, with a “Mulan-like” heroine; yet it manages to be its own unique, amazing story!

Ms. Sullivan’s book is a retelling of a short story by Frank Stockton called “The Lady or the Tiger?” In “Tiger Queen,” Princess Kateri realizes that there’s a whole new world outside of her palace; one where it’s not all about her. And the things she thought she knew and believed are challenged. She finds that
Brenda Drake
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. I loved this twist on the short story "The Lady or the Tiger." Princess Kateri is such an all-around strong character. The fight scenes were amazing and had me on the edge. I especially liked the close bonds Kateri had to her family and people and her willingness to make great sacrifices for them. The desert setting comes to life with Sullivan's wonderful storytelling skills. And Cion, I have no words other than he grabbed my heart. This fast-paced adve ...more
Christi M
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
When I first read the description I honestly wasn’t so sure about reading a YA fantasy book written where the whole story is set in the desert. With an ongoing drought the kingdom, Achra, has a serious water shortage, meaning there was a whole population in a desperate situation with little hope. People slowly dying of thirst didn’t sound like a fun read. But then I reread the description and thought ‘you know…this one might be good.’ And I was right!

Thoughts:
The Tiger Queen opens in the arena.
Selina R Gonzalez
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! It's clean, fun, has an adorable romance, a satisfying ending, interesting characters, and some lovely quotes. There's some good action scenes and some great tension. I loved Kateri and her struggles as she tries to figure out who she is and what to do and finds her own kind of strength that isn't cruel. Overall, I just really enjoyed this book!

I did think it was fairly predictable, especially the first three quarters. Like, duh that's what's been happening, obviously so a
The Reading Raccoon
Thank you to the publisher Blink and NetGalley for this review copy of Tiger Queen by Annie Sullivan.

I love a good standalone fantasy novel and I was really looking forward to reading Tiger Queen. This turned out to be an amazing re-telling of The Lady, or the Tiger. Not being familiar with that tale kept the story fresh and new in a genre crowded with Beauty and the Beast and other European fairy tale retellings.

I appreciated the detail Annie Sullivan put into building this sand swept world a
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Full blog tour post for Fantastic Flying Book Club on my blog Sometimes Leelynn Reads with a playlist and dream cast because those are hella fun, okay?

Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Netgalley, Fantastic Flying Book Club, and BLINK for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

Murder, Violence, Death, Betrayal

None explicit

Okay,
Teresa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley, Annie Sullivan, and Blink (publisher) for the opportunity to read Tiger Queen in exchange for an honest review.

One of the draws for me was the phrase “Fans of…Meagan Spooner will devour this retelling.” As some may know, Meagan Spooner has done two retellings that feature a strong female character (Hunted, a Beauty and the Beast retelling, and Sherwood, a Robin Hood retelling). This is a retelling of a short story called “The Lady, or the Tiger?” by Frank R. Stockton. The
Caroline
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019, 4-stars
This book was just such a fun and exciting read. It give me slight Aladdin vibes and it just worked so well!

I devoured this book is less then two days and after I finished, I was immediately sad it was over.

I loved how powerful and independent our main character, Kateri, was, and how she handled herself around everyone at the palace.

It's not often that you read a book set in a desert, and it's probably because it's not very descriptive to write just about a desert, but Sullivan pulled it off be
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Mar 16, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc, fantasy, young-adult
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

The writing was pretty good, but the story just felt too simplistic for me to really get behind it. The villains were very villainous, the good guys were very good... the only exception is the heroine, who starts out delightfully conflicted, but quickly sees the error of her ways (and thus loses my interest). An uninspiring love interest seals the deal.

Honestly, this is probably more of an 'it's not you, it's me' thing.

[Blog] - [Boo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Memory Thief
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • Coral
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Wardens of Eternity
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • Nameless Queen
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)