Start by marking “Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)

Good Girl, Bad Girl

(Cyrus Haven #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  12,459 ratings  ·  1,546 reviews

A girl is discovered hiding in a secret room in the aftermath of a terrible crime. Half-starved and filthy, she won’t tell anyone her name, or her age, or where she came from. Maybe she is twelve, maybe fifteen. She doesn’t appear in any missing persons file, and her DNA can’t be matched to an identity.

Six years later, still unidentified, she is living in a secure childre

Published July 23rd 2019 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Good Girl, Bad Girl, please sign up.
Michael Robotham Having talked to three senior pathologist, my information is that the accuracy of 'bone age' x-rays depends upon ethnicity, age, level of nutrition an…moreHaving talked to three senior pathologist, my information is that the accuracy of 'bone age' x-rays depends upon ethnicity, age, level of nutrition and whether a child has entered puberty. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on your summation. (less)
Daissy Hi Ashley, I am wondering the same thing, have you read Good girl, the bad girl already? Once you do, you may end up with the feeling that we may see …moreHi Ashley, I am wondering the same thing, have you read Good girl, the bad girl already? Once you do, you may end up with the feeling that we may see Joe coming back and hopefully soon, I really miss him and his crowd, I am glad isn't only me. =)(less)

·  12,459 ratings  ·  1,546 reviews

Start your review of Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)
Emily May
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
“He’ll be following the police investigation closely, frightened and appalled, but also fascinated, which means he could return to the scene as an onlooker, or bystander. Look for his face in the crowd. He’s somewhere close by. Watching.”

3 1/2 stars. Good Girl, Bad Girl is an entertaining mystery with complex characters and a number of thrills to keep the pacing up. I saw pretty much everything coming* (view spoiler), but I thin
Nilufer Ozmekik
Hey GR friends are you ready for my second auction for stars bidding? Yes, sure you did! Here we go!

Let’s start with five hundred stars because anyone read this book can easily fall in love with those characters, five thousand, five million, I think I heard five billion, whaaat red haired crazy woman raised her hand and raised to five trillion, SOLD to five trillion starts to this year’s best crime, evilish, mind bending, grey cell killing, agitating and surprising book!

Yes, I was the crazy re
Susanne  Strong
5 Brilliant Stars. A Crazy Pulse Pounding Thriller with a Ton of Heart!

“Good Girl, Bad Girl” is Michael Robotham’s Best Novel to Date.

“Evie Cormac” has been in a care home for quite some time. She never talks to anyone and no one knows of her real identity. Dubbed “Angel Face” she was found hiding in a home where police believed she was held captive for years.

Cyrus Haven is a Forensic Psychologist who works for the police. He is also hired to assist at the care home where Evie is living to a
Meredith
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Murderers, Truth Wizards, and A Girl Named Angel Face all come together in Good Girl, Bad Girl!

Good Girl, Bad Girl is a complex and compelling character-driven mystery about a girl with a mysterious past and the forensic psychologist who takes her under his wing (no pun intended--if you have read this book you will understand!).

When a teenage superstar figure skater turns up dead, Cyrus, a forensic psychologist who assists the police, is brought in to help with the investigation.
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
***NOW AVAILABLE***

4 ½ stars for this stellar thriller. This is by far one of the best psychological thrillers that I have read all year. It has a complicated, twisty plot that will keep you guessing up until the very last pages. There are a multitude of characters that all have secrets. The characters are well developed and unique, yet, for the most part, still believable. There are many mysteries to solve and characters to unveil. I’ve never read this author before but this book was highly rec
marilyn
Good Girl, Bad Girl brings together two people whose lives are filled with secrets and betrayal. Evie Cormac was found hidden behind a false wall where she had lived for years, with her supposed kidnapper having been tortured and murdered, in a nearby room. Evie wouldn't talk about who she was, where she was from, or what had happened to her and has spent the last years in a secure home for children because any attempts to foster her with a family resulted in her causing trouble and/or running a ...more
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)

A multi-layered plot with fascinating characters.

The latest from Micheal Robotham is a crime/police-procedural story that introduces Cyrus Haven, a psychologist with a disturbing and heart-breaking past. The camaraderie between Cyrus and his patient added sentiment.

The writing is compelling and the crimes are gritty. The characters are all flawed and mysterious. There are many surprises and a character with a special gift that she calls a curse . This one kept me guessing and page tur
Kaceey
Can I please hand out 6 shiny stars? Because Michael Robotham has done it again!

Lately, thrillers have been hit or miss for me. Maybe more miss. Well thriller fans, let me inform you, this was that perfect thriller that I’ve been searching for all year! Straight to my favorite shelf!

Evie Cormac is a young girl who’s been a ward of the court for years. With a hidden past, she has no proof of her real name, birthday, parents or even where she’s from. When she petitions the system to release her as
BernLuvsBooks
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars for Michael Robotham's Good Girl, Bad Girl - a complex, character-driven mystery with heart!

One dead teenage girl, another with no past and one psychologist trying to uncover the truth.

Cyrus Haven is a psychologist with a troubled past. His demons are definitely simmering beneath the surface and made him a fascinating character. Cyrus is called in to offer his expertise on two different cases. A fellow doctor reaches out for help with a particularly troublesome patient - Evie/Angel
Debra
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Robotham is off to a great start with his fist book in the Cyrus Haven series!!!

A young woman who knows when someone is lying or telling the truth, a forensic psychologist with a painful past, a murdered high school ice skating champion are all it takes for Robotham to knock it out of the ballpark!

Forensic Psychologist has his hands full. He had been asked by a friend to meet Evie Cormac, formerly dubbed “Angel Face," by the media. She was found as a child, filthy, small for her age, in
David Putnam
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exquisite descriptions that don’t overburden the prose. And the descriptions carry the same weight as a character and help enhance the fictive dream. The story moves at a nice pace with just enough backstory. Smooth, elegant, present tense, is done so well that it’s hardly noticeable. The attention to detail is wonderful.
Chapter 23 is some of the best description and writing I’ve seen in a long time.
With great deliberation multiple suspects are revealed just when I thought I knew whodunit. This
Beata
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Arresting, engaging and captivating – three adjectives that describe this novel, at least in my opinion. Cyrus Haven, a forensic psychologist with the past that hides some dark moments and secrets, meets a teenager, called Evie Cormac whose past is even darker, and who has an extraordinary ability that we would not like others to have – she knows when the interlocutor is telling a lie … Cyrus is professionally fascinated by this teenaged girl who becomes his ward. In the meantime, Cyrus is invol ...more
Liz
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Cyrus Haven is a forensic psychologist tasked with determining whether a young woman can safely be released from care. Evie Cormac was the victim of years of being held captive and sexually abused. Once discovered, the authorities could find no trace of her past. And she’s never said.

Meanwhile, he’s also helping an investigation into the death of a young girl, a Junior Ice Skating Champion.

The book is extremely well written. It’s not often I highlight phrases in a mystery, but I found myself d
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: I'm happy with who I am. I have pieced myself together from the half-broken things. I have learned how to hide, how to run, how to keep safe, despite never knowing a time when my blood didn't run cold at the sound of footsteps stopping outside my door, or the sound of someone breathing on the opposite side of a wall.

I know the jittery, crawling sensation that ripples down my spine whenever I feel the weight of eyes upon me. Searching my face. Trying to recognize me. And no matter how m
j e w e l s
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-bejeweled
THREE STARS

Cyrus Haven is a psychologist with a past. He consults with the local police department as they are investigating the murder of a teenage figure skater. Around this same time, he is brought in to study a young woman, called Evie, who is currently in a juvie hall. Evie has an extremely troubled history and has the unique ability to tell if people are lying or being truthful.

I found the story line initially interesting. I love a good procedural involving a psychologist with a past! Yes!
Dita
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Cyrus Haven is a forensic psychologist who consults for the police. He has been asked to determine whether a young woman, a human lie detector named "Evie Cormac", can handle being released from institutionalized care into society. Evie has a harrowing past and was instantly made famous after being rescued from horrific circumstances six years earlier. Having no idea who she is, authorities gave her a new identity, hid her from the public and placed her in care.

Cyrus is also consulting on a dis
Zoeytron
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
What we have here is your quintessential page turner.  Two girls, one good and one bad.  Hmmmmm.  That can't be right.  Nothing is that simple.  I was intrigued with the idea that some facts have a shelf life. If the author is testing the waters to determine whether there is any interest in reading more of the fascinating psychologist Cyrus Haven and the enigmatic Evie Cormac, you can bet the queue is forming quickly.  Great read!
Christine
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: awesome Susanne and Liz reviews
I have only read one other book by this author, and I think I’ve been missing some great reads. Good Girl, Bad Girl is a book I put on hold at my local library because of its excellent reviews. It is definitely well worth picking up.

There are two major characters in this British novel written by an Aussie: Cyrus Haven who is a forensic psychologist and Evie Cormac, a most troubled older teenager living in a high-security children’s home. The POV alternates between these two highly likeable peopl
Sumit RK
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Girl, Bad Girl is the first book in the Cyrus Haven series. As a part police procedural and part psychological thriller, this is a unique story thanks to it's intricate plot and flawed characters.

A girl is discovered hiding in a secret room in the aftermath of a terrible crime. Six years later, still unidentified and now the court as her caretaker, she is living in a secure children’s home with a new name: Evie Cormac. Psychologist Cyrus Haven must determine if Evie is ready to go free. Me
Norma
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gritty, gripping, & thrilling!

GOOD GIRL, BAD GIRL (Cyrus Haven #1) by MICHAEL ROBOTHAM is a suspenseful, intriguing, dark, disturbing, and slow-burn mystery/thriller that immediately drew me in. I was totally invested in this story and couldn’t put it down.

MICHAEL ROBOTHAM delivers a complex, character-driven, multi-layered, compelling, and mysterious story here with fascinating and great characters.

I absolutely loved the dynamics between our two main characters here with Cyrus and Evie. Both ch
Michelle
I finished this book last Friday before leaving on vacation and never wrote my review and I will now have to string words together with far fewer brain cells. My apologies in advance, Mr. Robotham.

Psychologist Cyrus Haven is given a new case, that of the volatile Evie Cormac, a young lady who was discovered hiding in a house a few years previous with a dead and mutilated body by her side. She refuses to say who she is, how old she is, or where she came from before being discovered. She is now a
Jonetta
Cyrus Haven is a police psychologist who was asked to interview a young girl, Evie Cormac, a resident of a high-security children’s home who has a horrific history. She was discovered six years ago in an abandoned apartment with a corpse and no memory of who she is. Her name was given to her and her age estimated. Now she’s taking the home to court, asking for emancipation as she asserts she’s 18-years old. Cyrus is also consulted when the body of a 15-year old skating champion is found along a ...more
Dem
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

A well crafted and well written thriller with complex and entertaining characters that keeping you turning the pages

My second novel by Michael Robothan, my first being The Secrets She Keeps which I thoroughly enjoyed.

“Evil Cormac is the girl with no past. Six years ago she was discovered filthy and starved , hiding in a secret room in the aftermath of a shocking crime. Cyrus Haven is A forensic psychologist with the Nottingham police and has been brought in to investigate the murder
Lisa
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Can i give this 10 stars, i would if i could Michael Robotham has hit the ball right out of the park with his new series i absolutely could not put this down his intricate character analysis is first class & the writing was perfect, the pacing was top notch & the prose kept me invested right from the start.

Good Girl Bad Girls a complex novel about a murdered figure skating champion Jodie Sheehan who was found brutally murdered & sexually assaulted on a popular walkway forensic psychologist is br
 Li'l Owl
Robotham's latest is like a fine cup of coffee.....
excellent to the very last drop! 5★'s
Now available! Book one in the forensic psychologist Cyrus Haven series!

Cyrus

“Which one is she?” I ask, leaning closer to the observation window.
“Blond. Baggy sweater. Sitting on her own.”
“And you’re not going to tell me why I’m here?”
“I don’t want to influence your decision.”
“What am I deciding?”
“Just watch her.”
I look again at the group of teenagers, girls and boys. Most are wearing jeans and long tops w
Jess☺️
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Girl,Bad Girl by Michael Robotham is another great book from this author I would definitely recommend him 👍
There's a lot of hanging strings in this book but that's because there going to be a book 2,but what we do get is definitely setting book 2 up for a roller coaster of a ride.
There's two different stories going on in this a murder and and a young girl in a young people's unit( with no real identity 😬) but they are woven together really well and easily.
This book I found was extremely har
Carolyn
Michael Robotham's first book in this new series is an excellent introduction to some complex and intriguing characters.

Cyrus Haven is a criminal psychologist who consults part-time for the Nottinghamshire Police and has been called into an investigation of the murder of a 15 year old skating star, Jodie Sheehan. She disappeared after going to the local fireworks night with her cousin and her body was found the next day by a local brook. As Cyrus and the police start to map Jodie's movements tha
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I don't know about you guys but right now all I'm interested in reading is books that just catch my attention and take me away. I don't know if I'm considered an 'essential' worker since most of my work days are a crazy train. BUT I do know my days off consist of getting on my husband's last nerve and this....

So he is very thankful when I find a book I like. He just became one of your biggest fans Michael Robotham.

This book involves two young girls. One is a figure skater who is just perfect
Natasha Niezgoda
YOU NEED THIS BOOK! Okay you guys, I’m not exaggerating when I say that I just pre-ordered the hardcover of Good Girl, Bad Girl because I loved it so much!

description

Holy freaking crap This book is everything my crime loving heart desired. It reminded so much of my favorite BBC shows - Luther, Broadchurch, Hinterland, and Marcella. There’s something so amazingly complex and effortless about this story. From the characters to the case to the cliffhanger! UGH. READ IT NOW!

description

Here’s a synopsis: Evie Cormac has a
Nadia - on a break
It doesn't happen often that I award 5 stars in a row but Good Girl, Bad Girl was absolutely brilliant and definitely deserves all the stars!

This was only my second book by Michael Robotham but I can say that his writing style is right up my street. I find that even thrillers I really like often have dull passages I want to skim through, but that was NOT the case here. Good Girl Bad Girl was a riveting and totally compulsive read from start to finish. The characters are interesting and unusual a

• The Wife and the Widow
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • Silver
  • The Survivors
  • Playing Nice
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • The Stranger Inside
  • The Model Wife
  • The Ex Girlfriend
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • Little Secrets
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • Girl in the Rearview Mirror
  • His & Hers
  • Before She Was Found
  • The Inn
  • The Other Mrs.
Two-times Gold Dagger winner and twice Edgar finalist, Michael Robotham was born in Australia in November 1960 and grew up in small country towns that had more dogs than people and more flies than dogs. He escaped in 1979 and became a cadet journalist on an afternoon newspaper in Sydney.

For the next fourteen years he worked for newspapers in Australia, Europe, Africa and America. As a senior featu

Cyrus Haven (2 books)
  • When She Was Good (Cyrus Haven, #2)

News & Interviews

“Michael Leunig cartoon showing a tiny sad-eyed man with a noose around his neck. The rope was curled over a beam with a large bucket tied to the other end. As the man cried, his tears filled the bucket and lifted him higher and higher off the ground. Evie is that figure, standing on her tiptoes, filling a bucket with” 1 likes
“People who lose children have their hearts warped into weird shapes. Losing a child is beyond comprehension. It defies biology. It contradicts the natural order of history and genealogy. It derails common sense. It violates time. It creates” 0 likes