Start by marking “Clara's Soldier: A Retelling of the Nutcracker” as Want to Read:

Clara's Soldier: A Retelling of the Nutcracker

A bride-to-be without answers.
A soldier who never came home.
A nutcracker that might hold one last Christmas wish...

World War II has been over for three months, but Clara can't join in the Christmas festivities with her friends and family. The fiance she sent off to Europe three years ago never returned. But just as she's about to give up hope, her godfather might just
Published September 25th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Clara's Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clara's Soldier

Start your review of Clara's Soldier: A Retelling of the Nutcracker
Kendra Ardnek
My Nutcracker retelling for 2018.

Those last couple pages were kinda hard to read, though. Oddly blurry for some reason. *coughcoughcouldn'tbetearsnowcoulditcoughcough*
MK ( Makayla)
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nutcracker fans , Romance lovers , ww2 fiction fans
Raw and Beautiful ww2 nutcracker retelling I wasn't expecting the story to be so good .
The first bit was kind of slow as we got to know clara her sorrow , but it was important , and it led me to feel her pain as deeply as is if it was my own .
The action and heart through the rest of the story completely made up for that inconvenience .
*I already wrote a review but my phone deleted it ,so I had to rewrite it ...and I lost all of that 'genius ' and inspiration XD*

This story honestly had a LOT
Coralie
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Heart.

Okay, y'all. I have a soft spot for the Nutcracker as it is, but that also means I have kind of high expectations for anything claiming association with it. Let me tell you, this was far from disappointing. Clara's Solider is absolutely precious, a stunning rendition of the classic tale. A heart-wrenching tale full of bravery and hope. Simply enchanting. Heart-warming, through and through.

The book was well-written, as is usual for Mrs. Fichter's works. I only found two boo-boos
Abigail
Oh my word, I loved this book so much! I love the nutcracker and Mrs. Fichter's retelling was beautiful. I honestly want more. Mrs. Fichter combined two things I love; World War 2 and a fairytale telling.

The characters were amazing and I loved that I was able to go on this journey with them. I loved the characters. Clara was a doll and I just connected with her really well. I totally would have done some similar things if I was in her shoes with a but more crying.

James was also amazing and
Karoline Baldwin
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this retelling! Admittedly I haven’t read too many Nutcracker retellings but I thought this one was just charming!

Set a few years after the end of WWII, Clara’s waiting still for her soldier James to come home. Enter sweet godfather Drosselmeyer and a little Christmas magic and you’ve got a story you’ll want to curl up and read by the fire!

I loved Clara and James’ journey, her character growth, and especially the ending. This book wasn’t anything like I guessed it would be and I was so
Raquel Evans
This was beautiful and sad and sweet. Also, this makes the second story by this author that I've really loved, which makes me think I should go try again on the story by her that I thought I didn't like and gave up on.

This story has a fair amount of hugging, face touching, and such, but nothing beyond that, and without any excessive amounts of description. There are quite a few creepy, sad and stressful elements, but as long as a younger child was ready to handle those emotionally there's
J.M. Stengl
CLARA'S SOLDIER is a fascinating blend of history and fantasy set in NC at the end of WWII.

Clara's childhood sweetheart and fiance, James, has been MIA for many months, and her family urges her to leave her memories and loss behind and move on with life--as in, marry another eager suitor.

How does this story connect with The Nutcracker? Clara's next-door-neighbor, Mr. Drosselmeier, has magic . . . and Clara's dreams connect her with James, her soldier, who is lost inside his own head, tormented
Steffani
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Loved it, such a sweet story , perfect combination of fairytale and real life struggle. Now we just need this to be a lifetime movie.
Catherine ~All for the greater glory of God~
Notable Content: C**p once. Kissing, and a comment along the lines of "the groom spent too much time admiring the bride's figure."

This tale intrigued me at the first page and led me into a world of love, war, and magic. The romance was sweet, the characters lovable. The plot was well-woven and led a tale that was beautiful and charming, with themes important and wonderfully done. The writing was excellent.
Robert A. Sugg
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Thank you for telling the world that living with PTSD is worth living. Clara and James story is truly a story of love and commitment. It's a story I live every day. Please keep telling the world that there is help and life can and will get better for our Veterans and the people who live them.
Mary
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Clara's fiancée James is missing in the war. Everybody tells her to give up and move on. Clara has dreams about James fighting Nazis or rats and doesn't know what to do. A clean book, a little too much in the dream world for me.
Dragana
Jul 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle-freebies
Sounds interesting and hey it's free. ;) https://amzn.to/2LFX2Rw
Ariel Masters
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*Beta Reader Review* (my honest opinion)

I loved, loved, loved this story. It was full of romance, suspense, action, bewilderment, and true love -the truest of the true. Plus, I sang Christmas carols for a week after. LOL!

The message of this story hit home for me as well. I was crying by the time it was over as I have a dear family member suffering what the male lead suffers. I won't say more as I'm afraid to spoil anything.

Another must read from Brittany Fichter!
Anna Marie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have to admit, I skimmed a huge portion of this book. Second admission: I didn't miss a thing, doing it. That's a *BAD* thing, by the way.

This book is very 'Alice in Wonderland'-y, in that most of it is a dream. (Well, that is the story of the Nutcracker). But the people in the dream are either mad, not what they seem, or twisted. It's not a pleasant experience to spend your time trapped in a psychotic episode, but that's most of this book.

Clara's fiance went off to war. In a very
Michaela Bush
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story! I couldn't stop reading it...and now I wish there was more! Definitely recommend reading this one.
Lisa Dawn
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect from Clara's Soldier because many of the previous books I've read by Brittany Fichter were dark and depressing. She's the type of writer that loves to torture her characters. With its World War II setting, her usual dark tone fit perfectly with this story. I enjoyed it a lot more than the other princess book I read that takes place during the same time period because it was very romantic and brought magic and hope to an otherwise hopeless and terrible part of ...more
Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads)
The war ended three months ago but Clara still hasn't heard anything about her fiance James. None knows where he is or what might have happened to him. Clara is staying strong and hopeful but hates all the looks of pity from the townsfolk. Clara’s Christmas wish was to know what happened to James. This leads to her having a very realistic dream with James. The dream involves them jumping through different places James had been while running from supernatural Nazi’s. Right before Clara wakes up ...more
Martha B.
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Nutcracker retell that's worth reading.

The war in Europe is over and the Nazi's have been defeated, but Clara's fiance James has yet to come home. She hasn't even heard from him in more than a year, but still she holds out hope from one day to the next that God will return her beloved to her.

This sensitive and deeply moving retell of the famed Nutcracker is more than just a romantic fantasy. It has a real and present message about the darkness of PTSD. Though not truly understood in the
R.J.
This is a great story! I love how many more stories we are getting now about real things that people go through like shell shock, disabilities, and mental health. It makes the reading experience better than it already was before.

I also saw Bandstand Broadway in theaters over the summer which also talks about the idea of sell shock and how hard it can be for soldiers to come home. So some of those songs were playing in my head as I read, especially "Welcome Home Finale".

I had read Brittany
Rachel
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Mock
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most unique, original retellings of a classic, well-known story I've ever read. It had all the familiar, well-loved elements of the classic Nutcracker story, but twisted and changed in an unconventional, imaginative, and beautifully creative way. The story was nothing like I expected it to be, but in a good way! It's a very emotional, raw, unapologetically real and passionate love story that gripped my heart! The writing was suspenseful and had me not wanting to put it down ...more
Samantha
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was so intrigued by this book at first. Brittany Fichter is a wonderful author, the snippets that she gave on her update emails were fascinatingly beautiful, and IT'S ABOUT THE NUTCRACKER. But while this was a hauntingly beautiful story, I still wanted more of the magic. (And more of the story - this is a short book.) I wanted more of that lighthearted Candyland glory that made the book and ballet so stunning. Granted, though, this book is magic in of itself. The writing is superb, the ...more
Pixie
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first ever retelling of nutcracker that I have read, and I wasn't disappointment. Although the tone of the story setting is quite serious in events during and after WW2 but the essence of fairy tale stays. Brittany Fichter gives a really truthful account of the struggle of war heroes and most especially the people they leave behind. (view spoiler) ...more
MeaQC
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lynda Sliger
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed the retellings of fairytales, though this one is up there with my favorites.

Clara is having a difficult time moving past James not being home yet. There has been no notice that he had died and no news about where he might be even though the war has been over for 3 years. She really can't get into the Christmas spirit when her own family is telling her it is time to move on, though her heart isn't ready to do so. Only one person supports her decision to wait for news and
Allison
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic retelling of the Nutcracker, moved to 1945. Small-town North Carolinian Clara's childhood sweetheart, James, left to fight in World War II and disappeared not long after Normandy. It has been a long, lonely wait for news of him, and as Christmas approaches Clara starts to wonder if she should try to move on as well-meaning friends and family are suggesting she do. But then her godfather offers her the gift of a nutcracker doll carved with James's face, and that night Clara ...more
Megan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful retelling of The Nutcracker, set in the 1940s where Clara is a young woman engaged to her soldier James who has not been heard of in a little over a year despite the war being over.

I really enjoyed this retelling which had quite the sad spin on it with Clara pining for her love and many well meaning family members suggesting that she move on after having no word from him.

Though this is a fairly short book, it was full of mystery, the power of love, Christmas magic and the
Jasmine
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of fairy tale retellings and this one has definitely just become one of my favorites. The setting is after WWII. I was so curious about how this story would play out and match up with the Nutcracker. Brittany Fichter keeps you guessing the whole story, and there is just enough magic to make me happy.
I'm ready to recommend it to anyone who isn't looking for an easy, simple love story---look for the darkness and twists.
This book is also very clean and lovely. I can recommend it
Diane Call
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice yet unfulfilling

by Brittany Fichter
3 stars

The story before the dream was well done: Clara's plight; how the town, friends, and family respond to her situation; her Christmas wish. The dream was unclear that it was a dream (maybe I've been reading too many paranormal books lately). It sheds some light on what PTSD could manifest as, and gives Clara a better appreciation of shell shock than Mrs McCarty has. The ending felt trite, and didn't show
Bookconfessions
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a uniquely beautiful way to tell the Nutcracker story.

Brittany Fichter created emotionally driven characters, with strong backgrounds. The shifting setting pulled in the magic and the rats felt like a real threat.

She pulled me into the her world from page one and wonderfully wove the heartbreak of war with the thrilling nature of the nutcracker story.

This was a new version of an old favorite that I will reread and love over and over again.

« previous 1 3 next »

• A Texas Christmas Past (Whiskey River Christmas #1)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms Book 5)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • A Hummingbird Christmas (Glacier Creek, #1)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales #11)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid
  • Prince of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #2)
  • The Queen of Gold and Straw (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Marvell Country Christmas (Men of the Marvell Ranch #2)
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Luke's Gift (The Harlow Brothers #2)
  • A Midwinter's Wedding (The Four Kingdoms, #3.5)
  • Queen of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #3)
  • The Cowboy's Gamble (Destined for Love, #2)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures #2)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms #3)
  • Till Midnight (Reversed Retellings, #1)
An Air Force wife, mommy of a little fairy, and Las Vegas native, my life is far from boring. I've written stories since I could hold a pen, so writing for a living is a dream come true, one that I carry out while staying at home with my baby girl. When I'm not writing or blogging, I can be found having fun with my family (husband, daughter, and spoiled black Labrador), doing chores (would much ...more