Start by marking “The Record Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Record Keeper

The Record Keeper

The Record Keeper is a visceral and thrilling near-future dystopia examining past and present race relations.

After World War III, Earth is in ruins, and the final armies have come to a reluctant truce. Everyone must obey the law--in every way--or risk shattering the fragile peace and endangering the entire human race.

Although Arika Cobane is a member of the race whose ba
Published June 18th 2019 by Titan Books (UK) (first published June 18th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Record Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Record Keeper

L. Penelope
Jun 14, 2019 added it
Recommends it for: Fans of NK Jemisin
Shelves: political, sci-fi
The Record Keeper grips you from the first page, sucking you into a deftly crafted dystopian future where liberation is barely even a dream. This moving story of a young woman's struggle against mental and physical bondage, tells an important new-old tale and challenges us to begin the fight for freedom in our community and in ourselves. It's the start of a much larger story, and one well worth reading.
Nick
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
If you would like to hear my non-spoilery thoughts on Record the Keeper, read on;

First Thoughts ✨
————————
I found the first chapter very confusing, as I do with must dystopian books. It showed our main character Arika as a child, and how brave and strong she was. She was ready to fight for what she believed in. Then, we jump to her being ‘thought a lesson’ - this is where my mind was like ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ this book was closely to linked to it where it was a horrible world they lived in, but it f
Georgia
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Record Keeper is Agnes Gomillion's debut novel. I don't usually read sci-fi as it's a genre that daunts me as i'm not really into science and struggle with scientific words but this book was extremely easy to read, i found it a quick and easyish read and didn't get put off by the wording or plot.

I loved the concept. I was entranced from the first page. Arika’s world is crafted to be real and stark. The books main plot is around racism and it's very frank and dark. The people in power are whi
Sue
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After World War III, the Earth is a different place. It has been ravaged by the hi-tech weapons the warring factions used against each other and very little habitable land remains. The rival armies were forced into a reluctant truce, before the planet was completely destroyed and an agreement called The Niagra Compromise was drawn up to offer a way for the survivors to move forward.

The World now consists of a portion of what was formerly America and is split into three territories - The White E
Doreen
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: titan
Honestly, a 3.5 but 4 for sheer potential.

In a post-apocalyptic world, the only surviving habitable land is a slice of the east coast of what was once North America. After years of bitter fighting along racial lines, the three surviving superpowers -- the white English, the Asian Clayskin and the black Kongo -- sign a treaty known as the Niagara compromise, which gives the three races separate but equal rights. Well, "equal" because we all know what that really means. The English are tasked with
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
Agnes Gomillion’s debut novel The Record Keeper is a book that examines race relations both past and present in a near-future dystopian North America. The third world war began with a computer virus that decimated technology and ended with the world cold and empty, the people heavily divided. Now, the Kongo people are tasked with cultivating crops for the rest of humanity, or what is left of it.

Arika Cobane is a member of the elite amongst the Kongo. At seventeen she is weeks away from graduatin
Andreia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s funny how this book grabbed my attention: it was like someone tapping my shoulder and asking a question when I haven’t even taken my earphones off. This book kind of interrupted what I was doing and demanded to be read – right then, right there. (I ended up taking it on holiday with me and, let me tell you, this is NOT a light, summery read so don’t make the same mistake. I mean it in the best possible way, though).

The Record Keeper is a scary eye-opener. It’s a horrific possibility and an
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'The Record Keeper' is Agnes Gomillion's debut novel. It is described as a 'fresh new take on the afro-futuristic science-fiction genre', which made me curious about the book but also wonder whether it was going to appeal to my tastes. I haven't read a lot of science-fiction and it's not normally a genre that I choose.

The story is set in 170 AE (After the End). Earth has been left in tatters after World War III and a fragile peace has been met. The main character Arika, is taken from a communit
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Right from the outset, I could tell that this book was going to be a fierce call-to-arms. The narrative voice of protagonist Arika is SO STRONG. The whole book basically reads like a rallying cry, as Arika discovers that what she has always believed is not necessarily right and goes on to make a powerful stand for the rights of herself and others.

There is a LOT going on in this book. I don't know if it's a standalone or the beginning of a series; honestly, I could make a case for either. But I
Kayleigh
Jun 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
It’s a very rare thing that I DNF a book.
Unfortunately I was unable to finish this one.
I thought it sounded like such an interesting read and that it would be something I’d enjoy but I just really struggled with it.

It was very slow paced and even though I got through nearly half of it, it still felt as if nothing of note had really happened.
I tried so hard to read it, hoping that it would get better and I’d get drawn in a bit later but after almost 200 pages it wasn’t any more gripping than a
Kirsty ~ Paper Hearts Ink
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well that was an intense read. Fantasy, politics and real-world issues blended together in a very powerful way. This author has a lot to say and boy did she say it well!

Arika is an amazing protagonist, that first chapter blew me away. Absolutely heartbreaking and moving. This book has so many layers. I loved the supporting characters and how they challenged Arika. Her character arc throughout the book is fantastic. She’s such a complex person and I really admired her strength and resilience.

It’
S.E. Anderson
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This new book by Agnes Gomillion is a dangerous dystopia set over 150 years after the apocalypse reduces humanity to a tiny strip of land: the east coast of America, split by race. The Kongo people must toil the fields endlessly, with the 'gift' of frequent mind wipes to make it easier for themselves. Is slavery still slavery if you don't know you're a slave?

The Record Keeper is a dramatic and powerful exploration of what it means to be free. It's a fast-paced, intensely thought-provoking dysto
Pamela Scott

The Record Keeper is pretty special. I loved the concept. It resonates strongly with recent events particularly in light of Trump’s presidency. I was absorbed with this book from the first page. Arika’s dystopian world is brilliantly realised and so real I felt I was reading about a real place. One of the book’s main themes is racism and this is chilling. The ruling class are white, English people. The colour people in the Kongo work the fields to provide
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-mt-bookpile
Dystopian race relations can be complicated - here we have a bit of "gee, nothing has changed". There are the English, who essentially run what's left of the world, the Clayskin (whom we hear a little about, but not much, and appear to be of part Asian, part native and part Indian extraction) and the Kongo, split into First Brother and Second Brother but who live further south and provide most of the food for the others. We see things through Akira's eyes, from her distress at being separated fr ...more
Lisa Rowe
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-2019
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review by Titan Books. Thank you.
This story was intriguing, eventful, and harrowing. It is essentially about racism and slavery. I loved the main character, Arika, and watching her character develop. This was a great read and it the story kept me wanting more. Excellent book.
Runalong
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really found this a impressive yet uncomfortable read about how slavery and colonialism make people accept things

Full review - https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Mya Alexice
loved the concept and the race focused lens of this book. We need more sci fi / dystopia that deals with that stuff. However, I think the writing just wasn't my style. It's not you, it's me kind of deal.
Gem ~ Bee
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Review to follow
Nic
Read for review in SFX, so will save my comments for there.
Amy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I would like to thank Titan Books who provided me with an ARC copy of this book for my honest review. All reviews and opinions discussed here are my own.

I did struggle with this book in all honesty. I found that there was quite a lack of world building and were just thrown in and told to make sense of what was going on. If I don't understand the world or the way it is built I really struggle to enjoy the book. I just couldn't quite find my feet with this world and at times it left me very confu