Start by marking “We Got This.: Equity, Access, and the Quest to Be Who Our Students Need Us to Be” as Want to Read:

"That's the problem with you, Minor" a student huffed. "You want to make everything about reading or math. It's not always about that. At school, you guys do everything except listen to me. Y'all want to use your essays and vocabulary words to save my future, but none of y'all know anything about saving my now."

In We Got This Cornelius Minor describes how this conversation
Published November 6th 2018 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about We Got This., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Got This.

Start your review of We Got This.: Equity, Access, and the Quest to Be Who Our Students Need Us to Be
Rose Peterson
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because I'm wearying of professional literature that claims to have equity at its center but only regurgitates the same old information in a new package, I was hesitant about this book. However, my preconceived notions were wrong.

I was pleasantly surprised by Minor's insistence that equity begins with the small decisions we make in our classroom every day. The suggestions he offers of how to do this are immediately helpful without being prescriptive or simplistic. I currently have a class of
Franki Sibberson
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for all teachers, all grades, all subjects.
Beth Honeycutt
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teacher friends, Id suggest that you read this! Wow - we owe it to our students:) ...more
Carolyn
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching, nonfiction
I've seen Minor speak in person twice, and we share a beloved professor, Bill Teale, in our hearts.

This book is pretty good. But since I just went to a PD with him before reading the book, turns out there were a few (important, hefty) things in the PD that he must have come up with after the book.

He talked a lot about the three biggest ways we disenfranchise our own students, often without meaning to, and often in ways that are deeply ingrained within the teaching profession because of the fact
Alicia
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
So many Post-its on this one. So many tidbits and bites and thoughts that you can chew on to update and change your practice.

What I love completely is the visualness of his presentation from the illustrations and discussion bubbles and figures that included so many quick sheets to track your changes, address your students, or think through problems on paper. Minor's sharing of little and big conversations he had with students to these worksheet/spreadsheets are worth their weight and his
Jen Cline
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a necessary text for all educators, regardless of content or grade level. A great text to read to launch into a new school year of possibilities.
Becca
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
The thing that I appreciate most about about Minor's writing is that he so clearly leads with love. Education could use much more of that. The thing that I appreciate second most is the way he's able to take really complex ideas about how to shift one's teaching practice and communicates them in ways that are actionable. Education could use much more of that as well.
Mariana Romano
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I sat down and read this a few hours. I barely stopped except to eat, address my children, and use the necessary. Cornelius Minor's clear and rhythmic prose, honesty, and practical tools pulled me right through the text. (And Jamal Igle's art adds to the aesthetic experience.) I kept thinking that I want Minor's brain -- how he looks at the world and children, teaching and the classroom, ways to evolve and slow thinking and practice--he breaks it down, provides models, and tells honest stories. ...more
The Rudie Librarian (Brian)
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Cornelius Minor is lightning. He is a spark. He is the whole forest fire. This dude will ignite your passion to ensure that you have equitable instruction in your classroom and the school. He will help you to remember that you are more than a cog in the machine. You have a voice and you are powerful. But more than that, he will remind you about how very powerful your students' voices are. He will get you passionate about helping them find and use those voices. He will remind you why you ...more
Susan Barber
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
First - I LOVE Cornelius Minor. Second - this book is beautiful - why can't all education books have artistic qualities as well as solid content? What I love about this book is that Minor doesn't simply draw attention to equity issues but offers practical classroom solutions. For me this is where the breakdown occurs - there's lots of talk about the problem and theoretical solutions but these solutions fail to offer practical steps of how this plays out in classrooms. This would be a perfect ...more
Jeanie Phillips
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Check out a podcast conversation about this book here: https://tiie.w3.uvm.edu/blog/vted-rea...

Practical, accessible, and immediately useful. This book includes a rich discussion of equity issues and offers classroom strategies for countering inequity. A great read for all classroom teachers!
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
No matter what curriculum we are assigned, our commitment is always to the students first. This is a must-read for educators.
I really hope I get to learn from Mr. Minor in person someday!
Shelley Fenton
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Insightful, thoughtful, inspiring; Cornelius Minor's debut book, We Got This, is a must read for all educators. He is a champion for giving teachers the encouragement to do what is right for their students. Using anecdotes and companion materials, he provides guides to replicate the compassionate work he does with students. He provides systems for change that are reflective and intentional. He guides teachers through the process using whatever systems their schools use. As you close the last ...more
NaTasha Clever
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was phenomenal. Cornelius Minor doesnt just offer another overview of the inequity many of our students are facing; he offers practical strategies for change and resources to help educators enact that change, while also acknowledging the realistic obstacles that teachers face everyday in this profession. ...more
Jabiz Raisdana
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet and packs a powerful punch. This is not only the book I wish I had when I first started my teaching journey, it is the book I need now.

Filled with practical resources, anecdotal stories and a poetic voice dedicated to building social justice focused and equitable classrooms, this is a must read for teachers everywhere.

Minor has written the perfect PD book: practical, short, colorful, meaningful and filled with light and passion.

I cannot wait to use the reflective resources
Renee Isom
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book!
I love the accessibility of this book...how easily the info is given and consumed. What I appreciate more is the practicality and illumination on the me factor of teaching. How focusing on me can help and hurt students depending on the why of your focus.

I think all the charts and organizational tools will come in handy for those who like that, but the voice in this book is the best guide to success. I felt like I had a trusted colleague sitting with me as I read
Liza
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
We do not teach for what is. We teach for what can be. ...more
Beth
This book is so important. It perfectly marries teacher advocacy, teacher research, and social justice while making all those hard topics easily digestible.
Holly Mueller
Excellent! Thinking through this as part of a freedom/equity/social literacy series with Troublemakers by Carla Shalaly and Being the Change by Sara K. Ahmed...
Lori Emilson
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational and realistic. A great read for teachers and administrators.
Paige
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
This book is easy to read and full of practical suggestions to make ALL students feel heard and valued in our classrooms. Great read, can't wait to help put it in action.
Austin Hall
I really enjoyed We Got This. This PD/educational read caused me to reflect and reevaluate my current practices in the classroom, appreciate the power that I can wield in terms of telling my personal teaching story, and better recognize the danger in the teacher as hero myth. I highly recommend this great read from Cornelius Minor. You can also listen to Cornelius Minor read the introduction and Chapter 1 intro narrative by checking out the Heinemann Podcast. After listening to the podcast, I ...more
Nikki Smith
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Impressed! Minor creates credibility with his own stories and experiences he shares before delving into the purpose and immediate need for such changes. Then, he offers practical strategies to be more intentional about making sure all students feel heard. This offers something for all teachers to improve their practices.
Liz
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good "shot in the arm" for teachers. It has a few different strategies for thoughtful reflection. Since it's such a quick read, it would be worth rereading on occasion.
Shira Engel
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. As a new teacher and as someone who recently finished graduate school, people are constantly recommending professional development books to me. I get overwhelmed with all the ideas, and often wonder how I am supposed to put them into practice. Minors book a) makes me feel like a superhero capable of putting whatever I want into practice, b) exposes and offers solutions to all the bureaucratic barriers public school teachers face when trying implement ...more
Julie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teachers: Please read this book.

Generally, I tab and highlight tips or quotes to embed in my work with teachers. After I had tabbed six quotes and passages as "essential to remember" and "share" within eighteen pages, I gave up.

Cornelius starts each section with a story, then provides relevant and practical ways to help anyone and everyone become a better teacher, a better listener, a better human.
Rita Shaffer
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 So many great reminders of our true purpose as educators! Also, love all of the graphic organizers to help capture thinking and reflection.
Sadie Ferris estrella
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very solution oriented around how to make change even within very structured school environments.
Tomasen Carey
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We Got This, a real life look at teaching by someone who just totally "gets it". Refreshing, honest and humble. Brilliant.
Nina Keller
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this, relating it to my own practice as a grade 2 teacher, and learning some tips on the how of teaching for equity and responsiveness. My notes below:

We got this-Cornelius Minor

Change is:
Fundamentally disruptive
Participatory
By trial and errors, lots of mistakes
Not instant
Personalbetter with collaboration and disagreement
Requires abandoning things that are not working

Myth of superhero teacher serves a narrow perspective, excludes us real teachers doing the messy work of
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Internment
  • Breathing New Life Into Book Clubs: A Practical Guide for Teachers
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • The Bridge Home
  • Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
  • A Teacher's Guide to Reading Conferences: The Classroom Essentials Series
  • The Undefeated
  • Why They Can't Write: Killing the Five-Paragraph Essay and Other Necessities
  • Shout
  • 180 Days: Two Teachers and the Quest to Engage and Empower Adolescents

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...