Start by marking “Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)” as Want to Read:
Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)

Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)

Look around your office. Turn on the TV. Incompetent leadership is everywhere, and there's no denying that most of these leaders are men.

In this timely and provocative book, Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic asks two powerful questions: Why is it so easy for incompetent men to become leaders? And why is it so hard for competent peopleespecially competent womento advance?

Marshaling
Published March 12th 2019 by Harvard Business Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?

Start your review of Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)
Toyin A
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic has asked a pertinent question and provided insight on how to fix the issue of incompetent people becoming leaders.

Although it focuses on why incompetent men become leaders, he identifies behaviours, traits and characteristics incompetent leaders have that many organisations can spot.

These behaviours are seemingly masculine and Tomas investigates why.

He also discusses how to pioneer competent leadership and encourage more females to step up - not by encouraging them to be
Eilonwy
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The title of this book grabbed my attention because I work with a pretty incompetent leader: a manager my co-workers and I often do our best to work around, rather than with, because he is at best useless and often actively harmful. In addition, he takes pride in being above knowing how to do anything on the office computer system; thats for underlings. So if a problem comes up, he solves it by essentially running around the office shrieking with his hands in the air until someone else who ...more
L A
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Harvard Business Review Press and Netgalley for the advance review copy.

Once I read the title of this book, I knew I had to read it. Yes, its a little clickbait-y but its certain to grab attention and get people talking. In my current role my team and I work to develop leadership skills in our organisation, and were often left scratching our heads as to what these should be, how we can develop them and what the barriers to leadership are, particularly for women.

This book is quite
Val
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
All the male leaders who really should read this book probably wont. But I now have more sophisticated ways of silently judging them. ...more
Diana Dávalos
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even tough the title may be controversial, this book really talks about the real personality traits a good / competent leader should have independently of gender, ethnicity, etc.
Jill
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders? I was apprehensive going into this book, thinking the title was just to get people to pick it up, plus it was written by a man which made me even more skeptical. But I was pleasantly surprised; Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic did a great job of explaining leadership, what makes a good leader, how people become leaders, etc. This book has a lot of research behind it and lots of studies to defend the positions given.

I liked that it started with a discussion
Sam
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first part of this book that outlined how many male leaders exhibit problematic qualities that detract from their leadership abilities. Ive experienced this all too many times so it really resonated. However, I felt the second part of the book lacked any viable solution and all the suggestions seemed pretty off- the author even seems to suggest that more data mined from our online platforms could solve the problem. He even suggests that if one listens to aggressive music on Spotify ...more
Nina
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
An easy read as far as management litteraturen goes, and some good points to be taken. The best is by far the title, love leaving the book laying around on my desk at work.
Ayca
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting and easy to read. Explains the title of the book well. Has so many examples of experiments. However; doesnt recommend easy and effective solutions. The recommended solutions are good and hopefully well get there button now sounds like utopia and the book doesnt have the necessary realistic explanation of how to get there. ...more
James La Vela
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this book.
Zachery Tyson
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leaders
Disappointing. It starts off well but unfortunately turns into one of those vapid leadership books about halfway through. I feel like this was one of those books that gestated from a well-received HBR article or TED talk and was padded with enough generic content to make it justifiable for publication.
Deir Zahrani
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
It was good halfway, but toward the end, I lose interest and just skimmed through it. The title was a clickbait guy, the content wasn't shaming any gender at all. The author was shaming anyone in any gender who were so full of themselves and get recognized by it.
Teo
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting study on improving leadership in general, rather than simply improving gender equality and breaking the famous glass ceiling in high-level leadership positions. Quite balanced point of view, supported by good documentation.
Bottom line, the idea is that leadership is bad because selection is bad - that we should reevaluate our idea of leadership, especially the toxic stereotypes related to it, be more aware of the need for quality leaders, take into account the importance of emotional
André Amorim
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very interesting and enlightening book about leadership. About stereotypes and mostly about why men have more commanding roles in business, management and decision making roles. Women are trapped in years and years of bad decisions, perception and wrong doing. I do agree with most of Tomas statements and I am a firm believe that gender equality should be a reality in leadership roles and I am the first to admit that women do carry a more hands on and reality approach to decision making. I do ...more
Mayra Morales
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book about leadership and the bias of perception between men and women in leadership roles. As the author mentions through the chapters, incredibly, women have the same bias as men have about the women performance, tough but true, and revealing.
Deepak
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
While the title seems a little misleading, the crux of the book is that the way leaders are selected / evaluated is incorrect ( maybe it was ok a few decades back ) but now it has to change with the times...EQ is the most important factor and basis the factors important for leadership selection / evaluation, Women are naturally better suited than men...the good point about the book was the fact that the author is able to table the points from both sides and intact even argues against the current ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Its unfortunate but not surprising that Tomas Chamorro-Premuzics Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders? rings true for me. We need to look no further than the White House and the Supreme Court for examples of incompetent and/or unqualified men reaching the highest levels of leadership. The book does a good job of exposing some of the dynamics at play in the workplace today (but I do wish Chamorro-Premuzic would provide more ideas around ways to weed-out incompetent men before they ...more
Greg
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, self-help
My main take away fro this book is the idea that organizations should look for the best characteristics of leadership rather than just increasing the number of women in leadership positions. By doing this we can avoid incompetent leaders from both gender not just from men.

This book is easy to read and full of insights in leadership. The title of the book is catchy while the content live up to it. Personally, I find the witty approach of the author amusing.
Julia
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

On first glance, this book may appear to be anti-male or disparaging. That is not at all the case. This book instead, is enlightening about what is required for leadership and why we have so often put those who are unqualified there - particularly men.

The study, stats as well as practical advice for better leadership hiring and practices make this a great read. I recommend to anyone who is involved in the leadership world.
Vero Antillano
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not to be fooled by the title, it is not entirely a feminist or gender-biased book, it simply questions the methods organizations have set today for finding, engaging, and promoting talent in the workplace and how it is not always aligned with an organization's best interest, how it can be fooled by astute incompetent individuals.
Genevieve
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting concepts; I liked that it highlighted the flawed ways in which we identify and choose leaders. However, it did feel a bit repetitive and simplistic at times, and could not really offer a lot of concrete solutions.
Kajoli Tankha
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title is provocative. Book is an excellent analysis of how confidence gets confused with competence and the qualities that really should be associated with leadership
Ryan Kapsar
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book does a fantastic job outlining all the ways men fail as leaders. Let me back up. This book isnt a man hating book. Its goal is to ensure better leadership at any company. The way to do this, isnt to just promote women, any woman. The way to do this, is to scrutinize everyone the way that women are scrutinized. Because, the data, and this book brings receipts, shows that women are better leaders.

So why are women better leaders? Well, in general women are less narcissistic in fact men
Megan
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok, so this is quite a provocative title. If you think this is about getting more women into leadership you'd only be partly right. It's really a lament at the poor state of leadership generally and given that men make up most of those leaders, puts the blame squarely at certain style of leadership that we all promote either directly, or indirectly.

Tomas's thesis is that loads of leaders don't cut it, primarily because our collective idea of leadership is flawed and we end up promoting
Jill
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
june3
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is another leadership-management book that started off really well but didn't have enough oomph to go the distance. The author is a leadership psychologist and he has clearly spent considerable time pondering the issue of leadership, primarily with an eye toward the US business community.

Chamorro-Premuzics essential premise is that many men are revered and rewarded for extraordinary displays of bravado that have no relationship whatsoever to their degree of professional competence or
Rafi
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick but challenging read. Good food for introspective thought. Gender disparity in leadership selection is a theme, but at its heart this book is about good leadership and the need to hold all leaders to a higher standard. Id recommend it for any leaders, aspiring leaders, or anyone tasked with evaluating leadership potential.

A good summary from the concluding chapter:

While it is certainly a sign of progress that a growing number of organizations are putting in place deliberate
Kate Schiffman
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders? By Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, a follow up to a Harvard Business Review article by the same name explores the idea of gender and leadership. Many men becoming leaders because of traits that do not always lead to the success of the organization. Chamorro-Premuzic explores why we focus on the wrong personality traits when choosing leaders, and what decision makers might do to find better leaders of all genders in the future.

Read the rest of my review
Michelle
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, leadership
I picked up this book because I hated the title. I ended up reading it, so that title did its job.

I liked:
-- warnings about what we typically think leadership looks like
-- detailed discussion of leadership competencies
-- advice for assessing leadership potential (I need this right now)
-- warnings about trusting intuition when hiring and promoting
-- ideas for coaching leaders

I believe I read some inconsistencies, but it wasn't worth investigating.

(I wonder about other resources for learning how
Amanda
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book generated from an HBR article and I think it would have been fine to stay that way. I had a few revelations within the first four chapters and after that it felt like all other leadership books I've read recently. The main point: instead of telling women to "lean in" or "act like men" we should change our standard of leadership. Save yourself. https://hbr.org/2013/08/why-do-so-man...

I'm feeling cynical today so I'll stop there.

• Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • The Prosperity Paradox: How Innovation Can Lift Nations Out of Poverty
  • Peak Leadership Fitness: Elevating Your Leadership Game
  • The Infinite Game
  • Something That May Shock and Discredit You
  • The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
  • The Surprising Science of Meetings: How You Can Lead Your Team to Peak Performance
  • The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Make Dumb Mistakes
  • How to Treat People: A Nurse's Notes
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • How to Be Successful without Hurting Men's Feelings: Non-threatening Leadership Strategies for Women
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Innovation for the Fatigued: How to Build a Culture of Deep Creativity
  • Negotiating with a Bully: Take Charge and Turn the Tables on People Trying to Push You Around
  • The Critical Few
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
Dr. Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic is an international authority in psychological profiling, talent management, and people analytics. He is the CEO of Hogan Assessment Systems, Professor of Business Psychology at University College London (UCL), and visiting Professor at Columbia University. He has previously taught at New York University and the London School of Economics.

He has published 8 books and

News & Interviews

“differences in behavior arise not because of differences in how men and women are, but in how men and women are treated. This is what the evidence shows: women are less likely to get useful feedback, their mistakes are judged more harshly and remembered longer, their behavior is scrutinized more carefully, and their colleagues are less likely to share vital information with them. When women speak, they’re more likely to be interrupted or ignored.” 1 likes
“If you have ever worked in an office, then you have probably experienced a particular form of bad management displayed by bosses who seem unaware of their limitations and are clearly and unjustifiably pleased with themselves. They are overconfident, abrasive, and very much in awe of themselves, particularly in light of their actual talents. They are their own biggest fans by some distance.” 0 likes