Start by marking “Together: Our Community Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Together: Our Community Cookbook

Together: Our Community Cookbook

Together celebrates the power of cooking to connect us to one another.

In the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire, a group of local women gathered together to cook fresh food for their families and neighbours.

Over the chatter and aromas of the kitchen they discovered the power of cooking and eating together to create connections, restore hope and normality, and provide a
Published September 20th 2018 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Together

Start your review of Together: Our Community Cookbook
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I really admire Meghan for staying true to herself and her passion, that she continued with the good work she was doing before. This project is a ray of hope in a very dark time the whole world is going through... I can't wait to get this book. If I adored her before, I truly love her now.

Elizabeth A.G.
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This charity cookbook, an "homage to life, friendship and togetherness," and fund-raiser, was written by a group of women who cooked favorite dishes of their homelands (the Middle East, North Africa, Europe, and eastern Mediterranean) after the Grenfell Tower fire in West London and which killed 72 people and displaced over 223 people in June, 2017. This community of women became known as the Hubb Community, using the kitchen at the Al-Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the women who ...more
Obsidian
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a great cookbook! I have started to buy more cookbooks these days because I love to just make something to eat at home. It seems every winter like clockwork I go into hibernation mode (due to the weather) and I want to be able to make something that is filling, that is not going to have 1,000 ingredients, and that for the most part I can get done in an hour or less.

"Together: Our Community Cookbook" is pretty great. I loved all of the color photos that accompanied the recipes, the foreword
Ari Reavis
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the foreword and stories behind each recipe. I look forward to making some of them.
Carolyn
I can’t actually rate this book until I’ve cooked some of the recipes but I am so excited and so hungry.
Onceinabluemoon
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not a royal watcher, but it's hard to miss all the bad blood her family spills, so happy for this young woman, she appears so well grounded and generous that I wanted to support her first endeavor. A beautiful cookbook with so many shinning smiling faces, I hope she beats all expectations in profits. Me, well, I will be trying some new recipes this weekend! From such a horrific tragedy I hope a Phoenix can rise from the ashes.
farmwifetwo
A lot smaller book than I expected. Recipes appear to be very straight forward. Plan to try a few over the winter.
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful! A wonderful collection of recipes with pictures. A lovely project and forward just completes it all.

4/5 stars.
Laura C
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got this book on Christmas Day and immediately started reading and planning meals to make in the new year. I’ve shown several friends and family members this cookbook and we are planning a potluck dinner, with recipes from this book, in 2019!!

Also, I’m happy the funds for this cookbook are going to such a good cause!!
Elizabeth Judd Taylor
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-baking
Everything in this book looks super delicious, so I can’t wait to get cooking,baking, and eating. Also, the proceeds from this book go to support the Hubb Community Kitchen, so this is really a win-win purchase.
Bernadette Geuy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are some lovely family recipes from around the world. Support this community by buying this book.
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this cookbook. I've made several of the recipes, and they turned out great. There are more that I want to try. What a great way to raise funds, and also peruse many great recipes.
Tim
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical
This is a colourful cookbook of various Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern and North African recipes, brought together by newly retired TV actor Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex. While I haven't cooked any of them yet, most of the dishes look achievable. A few require more specialised ingredients, for example "injera", a large spongy flatbread from Ethiopia to serve with Misir Wot (lentils) and Gomen Wot (greens).

Profits from the book go to the Hubb Community Kitchen to enable them to serve more
Jennifer Lucking
Loved this cook book - the intentions behind it (to raise awareness about and money for the Hubb Community Kitchen in England), the beautiful pictures, and the delicious recipes provided by the Muslim women who use the kitchen. I am more likely to visit a restaurant than attempt some of these recipes (many which call for ingredients not typically in my cupboards) but I still want this book for my collection!
Lisa
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the format, the stories that introduced the recipes, the clear directions for how to make the food. Photography was spot on. It felt like you were reading more of a community diary of favorite dishes than a "cookbook". I will definitely be adding some of these to my favorites list. Was happy to see that some already were. The one thing that could bump it up to a five star rating is the addition of the nutrition breakdown (calories, carbs, etc.) which is very important to many people.
Denise Prewett
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
After the Grenfell Tower fire in London the community came together at the HUBB (LOVE in Arabic) Community Center to cook. Before she was a duchess Meghan Markle visited the women cooking there and inspired them to write a cookbook to help fund the center so it could be open more often. This is that cookbook. While I may not make the majority of these recipes, I did enjoy the little stories before each recipe that talked about the contributor of the recipe.
Astryd R
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is absolutely amazing. The recipes are delicious and easy to follow, my favorite is the coconut chicken curry. I loved the stories and the thought that cooking together has the power to unite people and their communities. I love the foreword by The Duchess of Sussex and specially how the funds from this book are for helping that community. I am a fan of Meghan Markle, she is such a smart woman, because of her I am now a royal watcher.
Kristin
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful project and partnership! It’s wonderful to see a community come together through food and love. As an ELL teacher I really enjoyed reading about some of the traditional dishes of my student’s families! I really want to try some of these myself in my newly remodeled kitchen! I want to start with the avocado dip since it received such high praises from Meghan and an Ethiopian dish!

Meghan is already proving what an amazing royal she will be!
Ellen
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book about community connections. These are recipes shared by women from many countries, collectively cooking after Grenfell Tower fire.

Many of the recipes have some background to put them in context, and some have humour. This is a wonderful book to read, with many interesting recipes to explore.
Lori
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Back to reading cookbooks again! I found that I really love reading them and this on is special. Each recipe is introduced by the woman who gave it - so it is personal and tells a story about family, food and being together. Plus, the recipes look great! Got this at Kensington Palace in October and cannot wait to cook with it!
Julie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fabulous charitable cookbook featuring diverse recipes from all over the world and benefitting the survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire in London. The Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, writes the forward and has become an integral part of the community. There are great stories woven in with the delicious recipes like all the best cookbooks!
Emily
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't started cooking from it yet, so I might raise my star rating once I do that. The recipes seem to be pretty easy. They are mostly Middle Eastern, but there are a few Russian and Italian recipes here as well. It's a gorgeous cookbook in terms of photography and layout.
Doreen Longo
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I have never reviewed a cookbook before. This is a good one nice and inexpensive. There are a lot of recipes but they all seem to have a lot of ingredients. I can't wait to try some of these. I will start with the avocado dip that Meghan recommends herself.
Karen Elizabeth
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bought as a gift. Beautifully put together. Recipes are varied and interesting and from many parts of thdworld. They look easy to prepare and quite a few are plant based. Can't wait to buy myself a copy of it.
Katie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really great cause. Thought it would have more stories about the women, but still fun to read. The recipes are all very different and am excited to try a few!
E G
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m hungry again! I’ve marked a bunch of the recipes to try
Brandi Calmer
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful cookbook - will be making a few of the recipes
Linda
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, 2018
Nice collection of ethnic recipes from real people.
The Duchess of Sussex wrote an intro to promote the financial return for these women after a fire in the community.
Ashley
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are quite a few recipes I look forward to trying - especially for tzatziki and chicken and mushroom soup - in this beautifully arranged and photographed cookbook.
Megan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely cookbook. You can feel the love in the stories, recipes and see the it in the pictures throughout this cookbook. I'm very happy I found it and can't wait to try to recipes.

• Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals
  • Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
  • Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks
  • Veg: Easy and Delicious Meals For Everyone
  • The Living Clearly Method: 5 Principles for a Fit Body, Healthy Mind  Joyful Life
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Modern Monarchy: The British Royal Family Today
  • The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe
  • Strong and Kind: And Other Important Character Traits Your Child Needs to Succeed
  • Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, & Baking Biscuits
  • Peter Pan [Audible Drama]