Start by marking “Together: Our Community Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Together: Our Community Cookbook

Together: Our Community Cookbook

Together celebrates the power of cooking to connect us to one another.

In the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire, a group of local women gathered together to cook fresh food for their families and neighbours.

Over the chatter and aromas of the kitchen they discovered the power of cooking and eating together to create connections, restore hope and normality, and provide a
Published September 20th 2018 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Together

Start your review of Together: Our Community Cookbook
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I really admire Meghan for staying true to herself and her passion, that she continued with the good work she was doing before. This project is a ray of hope in a very dark time the whole world is going through... I can't wait to get this book. If I adored her before, I truly love her now.

Elizabeth A.G.
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This charity cookbook, an "homage to life, friendship and togetherness," and fund-raiser, was written by a group of women who cooked favorite dishes of their homelands (the Middle East, North Africa, Europe, and eastern Mediterranean) after the Grenfell Tower fire in West London and which killed 72 people and displaced over 223 people in June, 2017. This community of women became known as the Hubb Community, using the kitchen at the Al-Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the women who ...more
Obsidian
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a great cookbook! I have started to buy more cookbooks these days because I love to just make something to eat at home. It seems every winter like clockwork I go into hibernation mode (due to the weather) and I want to be able to make something that is filling, that is not going to have 1,000 ingredients, and that for the most part I can get done in an hour or less.

"Together: Our Community Cookbook" is pretty great. I loved all of the color photos that accompanied the recipes, the foreword
Ari Reavis
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the foreword and stories behind each recipe. I look forward to making some of them.
Carolyn
I can’t actually rate this book until I’ve cooked some of the recipes but I am so excited and so hungry.
farmwifetwo
A lot smaller book than I expected. Recipes appear to be very straight forward. Plan to try a few over the winter.
Ella
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who loves ethnic dishes this is an awesome book, each recipe has pictures.
We already made a few of the recipes & all were delish!
Highly recommend for all who enjoy cooking at home.
Onceinabluemoon
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not a royal watcher, but it's hard to miss all the bad blood her family spills, so happy for this young woman, she appears so well grounded and generous that I wanted to support her first endeavor. A beautiful cookbook with so many shinning smiling faces, I hope she beats all expectations in profits. Me, well, I will be trying some new recipes this weekend! From such a horrific tragedy I hope a Phoenix can rise from the ashes. ...more
Carmen
May 17, 2020 added it
This is such a missed opportunity! Where this is such an awesome cause, this book (difficult to call it a cookbook) is not worthy of what it’s supposed to embrace. I am a food lover of all types of cuisine and have far tastier curries in my recipe box.
Where the pictures are lovely, this is just a coffee table book to further Meghan Markle’s agenda. Disappointed!
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful! A wonderful collection of recipes with pictures. A lovely project and forward just completes it all.

4/5 stars.
Laura C
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got this book on Christmas Day and immediately started reading and planning meals to make in the new year. I’ve shown several friends and family members this cookbook and we are planning a potluck dinner, with recipes from this book, in 2019!!

Also, I’m happy the funds for this cookbook are going to such a good cause!!
Elizabeth Judd Taylor
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-baking
Everything in this book looks super delicious, so I can’t wait to get cooking,baking, and eating. Also, the proceeds from this book go to support the Hubb Community Kitchen, so this is really a win-win purchase.
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this cookbook. I've made several of the recipes, and they turned out great. There are more that I want to try. What a great way to raise funds, and also peruse many great recipes. ...more
Bernadette Geuy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are some lovely family recipes from around the world. Support this community by buying this book.
Alexandra
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I finally bought and the received this book, I knew I wanted a copy as soon as I found out Meghan was releasing this book. Opening it and seeing all the recipes, I was amazed at all the different cultures that had been laced into the book.
Tonight my family and I tried one of the recipes and it was amazing. I made the Beef and well in Australia we call it an Eggplant casserole, it was delicious. Though we used chicken instead of beef. My whole family liked it and we've, tha
Tim
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical
This is a colourful cookbook of various Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern and North African recipes, brought together by newly retired TV actor Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex. While I haven't cooked any of them yet, most of the dishes look achievable. A few require more specialised ingredients, for example "injera", a large spongy flatbread from Ethiopia to serve with Misir Wot (lentils) and Gomen Wot (greens).

Profits from the book go to the Hubb Community Kitchen to enable them to serve more peop
Kristin
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful project and partnership! It’s wonderful to see a community come together through food and love. As an ELL teacher I really enjoyed reading about some of the traditional dishes of my student’s families! I really want to try some of these myself in my newly remodeled kitchen! I want to start with the avocado dip since it received such high praises from Meghan and an Ethiopian dish!

Meghan is already proving what an amazing royal she will be! ❤️
Lisa
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the format, the stories that introduced the recipes, the clear directions for how to make the food. Photography was spot on. It felt like you were reading more of a community diary of favorite dishes than a "cookbook". I will definitely be adding some of these to my favorites list. Was happy to see that some already were. The one thing that could bump it up to a five star rating is the addition of the nutrition breakdown (calories, carbs, etc.) which is very important to many people. ...more
Jennifer Lucking
Loved this cook book - the intentions behind it (to raise awareness about and money for the Hubb Community Kitchen in England), the beautiful pictures, and the delicious recipes provided by the Muslim women who use the kitchen. I am more likely to visit a restaurant than attempt some of these recipes (many which call for ingredients not typically in my cupboards) but I still want this book for my collection!
Astryd R
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is absolutely amazing. The recipes are delicious and easy to follow, my favorite is the coconut chicken curry. I loved the stories and the thought that cooking together has the power to unite people and their communities. I love the foreword by The Duchess of Sussex and specially how the funds from this book are for helping that community. I am a fan of Meghan Markle, she is such a smart woman, because of her I am now a royal watcher.
Denise Prewett
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
After the Grenfell Tower fire in London the community came together at the HUBB (LOVE in Arabic) Community Center to cook. Before she was a duchess Meghan Markle visited the women cooking there and inspired them to write a cookbook to help fund the center so it could be open more often. This is that cookbook. While I may not make the majority of these recipes, I did enjoy the little stories before each recipe that talked about the contributor of the recipe.
Ellen
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book about community connections. These are recipes shared by women from many countries, collectively cooking after Grenfell Tower fire.

Many of the recipes have some background to put them in context, and some have humour. This is a wonderful book to read, with many interesting recipes to explore.
Julie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fabulous charitable cookbook featuring diverse recipes from all over the world and benefitting the survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire in London. The Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, writes the forward and has become an integral part of the community. There are great stories woven in with the delicious recipes like all the best cookbooks!
Lori
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Back to reading cookbooks again! I found that I really love reading them and this on is special. Each recipe is introduced by the woman who gave it - so it is personal and tells a story about family, food and being together. Plus, the recipes look great! Got this at Kensington Palace in October and cannot wait to cook with it!
Carolyn
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just a really great charity fundraiser cookbook. It was done well (I’m sure having Meghan Markle’s people in charge of production helped), heartwarming story, gorgeous pictures, the food looks delicious. There are some recipes I want to try, and it gave me ideas for what to do with that bottle of pomegranate molasses. Also I have a renewed need to find fenugreek seeds.
Doreen Longo
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I have never reviewed a cookbook before. This is a good one nice and inexpensive. There are a lot of recipes but they all seem to have a lot of ingredients. I can't wait to try some of these. I will start with the avocado dip that Meghan recommends herself. ...more
Karen Elizabeth
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bought as a gift. Beautifully put together. Recipes are varied and interesting and from many parts of thdworld. They look easy to prepare and quite a few are plant based. Can't wait to buy myself a copy of it. ...more
Emily
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't started cooking from it yet, so I might raise my star rating once I do that. The recipes seem to be pretty easy. They are mostly Middle Eastern, but there are a few Russian and Italian recipes here as well. It's a gorgeous cookbook in terms of photography and layout. ...more
Ema
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really looking forward to cooking many of these.
Albeit, some call for very specific ingredients, but whatever, I'll make it work 🙂
Margo Roberts
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful story of women coming together for their families.

• Cravings: Hungry for More
  • Little Bones
  • 15 Minute Vegan Comfort Food: Simple & Satisfying Vegan Recipes
  • Cook, Eat, Repeat: Ingredients, Recipes and Stories
  • The Fragrant Pharmacy
  • Simply Clean: The Proven Method for Keeping Your Home Organized, Clean, and Beautiful in Just 10 Minutes a Day
  • Clean My Space: The Secret to Cleaning Better, Faster--And Loving Your Home Every Day
  • The Fragrant Mind: Aromatherapy for Personality, Mind, Mood and Emotion
  • Real Life Organizing: Clean and Clutter-Free in 15 Minutes a Day
  • Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food
  • Meghan: The Life and Style of a Modern Royal: Feminist, Influencer, Humanitarian, Duchess
  • Not The Type
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • The Red Slippers (Nancy Drew Diaries #11)
  • Stalk, Don't Run (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective, #47; Malibu Mayhem Trilogy, #3)
  • Who Was Princess Diana?
  • Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina