Start by marking “Unfollowing You” as Want to Read:
Unfollowing You

Unfollowing You

An anthem for the modern woman, Unfollowing Youservesas a true companion for those who seek a voice that explores the complexities and absurdity of contemporary romance. Komal Kapoor uses her personal experienceand astute social awareness as mechanisms to empower self-acceptance and promote cultural transparency.

After prolific growth on social media, Komal Kapoor is
Published February 5th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Unfollowing You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfollowing You

Start your review of Unfollowing You
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
For all the badasses reluctant to show their soft side—you are not alone.

Unfollowing You is a story of a "situationship" (because, let's be honest, judging from the text, it never really reached full "relationship" status) going wrong. It starts off cheesy, but with promise, but sadly, goes downhill very quickly in quality and the poetry becomes off-putting, childish, repetitive, and unrefined.

Time with you now feels

Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
Next book in my series: Reading and annotating with my partner pt. 2 ...more
Emily Park
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wish I loved this book like the world love Beyoncé.

But I didn’t.
It was awful.
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
I found this book of poetry relatable, yet I also found myself not really liking it. It may partly be because of the description: it states it's about 'modern love' and 'relationship', but I think love is completely different from what happens in the story, and the couple it deals with does not reach the relationship status before their supposed tragic end occurs. I get what it is about, though. The digital era can make dating and finding our significant other something quick, shallow and not ...more
Amina Ibrahim
"Unfollowing You" by Komal Kapoor is a collection of short poems and quotes. It is composed of two parts, the first part is following you and the second is unfollowing you.
I don't read poetry, but the cover and the blurb of the book atracted me in.There was some humour which went over my head but mostly it was understandable. It was filled with emotion. This book is so much like a story. Going through the character's life from the start to the end. How the man she loved goes from being her
Apoorva Tadepalli
Feb 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'd give this book 0 stars if I could. I read this book at a bookstore and I found the poetry in it to be underwhelming. She literally compares how she feels about a guy to Taco Bell. Like really? And she also writes these one liners about relationships, as if they are poems. They aren't, and she shouldn't marketing it as such.

She had a great concept but the poetry ruined it for me.

She should've not marketed this book as a poetry book if it's about short text messages between a guy and girl.
Trang
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
This era of tumblr poetry popularized by Lang Leav and Rupi Kaur needs to end! Also, I don't like the font used in this book (petty, I know).
Ecke Brandt
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Release date: February 5th, 2019.

This book of poems is a beautifully written collection of the thoughts and feelings about (young) love in the digital age.

Dating, and practically every aspect in relationships has changed completely in not even a decade, and Komal Kapoor reflects perfectly what falling in and out on love in our decade has become. I think it reflects both on the positive and negative things of having your bae at arm's reach on the Internet, and it also beautifully describes
Lavinia Reads
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
sometimes we are so blind
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Saturday night dates
are easy to find
but I want only you
on Sunday mornings
Rebecca L.
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unfollowing Youwas a delightfully fun romp that explored what it feels like to fall in love in today's society. Kapoor uses text messages, social media posts, and micro poems to vividly bring to life what it feels like to fall in love through a phone screen. In our world heavily laden with social media, the image we project is much more alluring than reality of who a person is in real life.

Kapoor tells a universal story that is updated for a modern audience: What happens when a deeply
Cynthia
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

So I originally requested an ARC for this book because it promised it was "an anthem for the modern woman" and would "explore the complexities and absurdity of contemporary romance". I've been out of the dating pool for a long time, so I thought I'd take a look as it seemed like the book had to potential to be funny and poignant. Instead I ended up rolling my eyes for days.

Now usually I would say that it was just not for me but my
Trisha - Tale of a Bookworm
*I got this book from netgally in exchange of an honest review.

I don't know what happened.. but I really did not enjoy reading these poems. They neither felt poetic not emotional enough to stay with me... Thats all.
Deborah
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finding and losing “love” in the digital age through texts, Facebook, Snapchats, tweets, Netflix profile, tagging, update relationship, notes, refreshing pages, etc. Recognizing that there is strength in vulnerability and encountering faith in love, she quickly falls in love. At her height she proclaims “... how can we not change with every encounter every relationship every love? We take a bit of someone gave a bit of us away. I have changed since your love and I like who I have become.” “In ...more
McKinlay Dennis
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse, poc-authors, 2018
*I received this from netgalley, this does not affect my review.*

[2.5 stars]
This is exactly the poetry I would have wanted to read in my early twenties after dealing with the loss of my first love. But now as a jaded 35 year old, self-proclaimed spinster, it kind of made me wanna barf. Objectively I can say the poetry was decent, the social media aspect was interesting, though I think the digital ARC was missing some of the formatting so it was a bit lost on me. I would recommend this to people
Nick Carr-Sorensen
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Best read in a single sitting. For someone going through the “situationship” Kapoor describes, this could be cathartic. The poems themselves feel very high school.
aneesa i.
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
why does everyone think they can write the next “milk & honey”?
Yuthika
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Powerful, but it felt like something I have come across before.
Sheela
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the age of text messaging and social media - it is difficult to see and connect on a deeper level with people especially when there is not much of a premium on direct verbal communication and not much more than instant (physical) gratification.

I love her perspective- from that of someone who wants to find a “real” connection. She is clever with her words and I think they will resonate with like minded people. There is also a courageous spirit as she realizes that what she is getting does not
James
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, 2019
A collection of "poems," more like ruminations and text message compilations, following the arc of a failed doomed relationship of young people. While I'm sure some people probably relate (particularly young people in their first relationships), the "characters" here aren't fully formed and while there is some nice writing, there's no subtext or nuance here.

[I received an advanced e-galley of this book through Netgalley.]
Steffy
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"You said sorry without
understanding why,
that is when I should've known,
I needed to let you go."

This has nothing to do with modern relationships. Yes, the narrator tried Tinder. They text, hang out, bla. Her "squad" even suggest to try out Bumble instead. Kapoor's understanding of romance seems like she's seen one too many chick flicks or hung around Instagram for too long. The situation told here is one many people have experienced in this digital era, so this book feels like another meme.

By
Fayza
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were profound moments (especially after the relationship starts to unravel; the in-love part is so saccharine that I could vomit) but the similes in this prose are atrocious. Is the author really in her 30s? Hard to believe. I attended the book launch for this and I follow the author on Instagram. She’s better at sticky one-liners than an entire book. Maybe now I’ll be unfollowing her?
Nathaniel Darkish
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book of poetry. I tend to like it when a collection follows a single narrative thread from beginning to end. This narrative thread, though not original (it's the story of getting together and then breaking up) is very relatable and is explored in a way that is modern, with the use of technology and cultural references (that are very Gen Y/Millenial) as both a point of reference and in the way the poetry is presented. This could easily be hokey, but I really enjoyed it here. ...more
Lara
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"...to anyone who struggles to talk about love and heartbreak, I hope you find the power in your vulnerability. It is okay to feel something; there is even strength in it."

"Watching 'our shows' without you, / that is moving on."

"Growing up, / love felt like a superstition / a fantasy I should not / indulge in. / Then you came along / providing me faith in something / I had given up on. / If they ask me, What is love?, / all I can say is, you. / For when we met, / it finally made sense / what
Ash
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jane R
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
2.8 Stars
The first part of the story is great! The poetry is exactly what my past preteen heart would read/write. And a handful of poems from the first part really hit home for me. Also the way the text messages were incorporated into the book was pretty cool and I’ve never read anything like that before.

But the characters are definitely VERY underdeveloped. We don’t get to know anyone’s name except the girl once in the whole book. Which I can’t even recall. When she messages her “Squad” she
Jasmine
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have never got along much with English "poetry". I mean compared to the rich poetic culture I grow up with, English poetry doesn't have much of a chance but still, I had enjoyed it from time to time.

This book was supposed to be an interactive book about internet/ phone culture and dating. I have seen much better books. seriously, a couple of pictures with two or three messages doesn't count as being about the internet. The poems had no poetical devices, so I didn't enjoy them at all. And there
grace
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
[3.5] i actually really enjoyed this collection.
i was just browsing through the poetry section and saw this, read one poem and was like WOW. it was so good that i bought it and went home and read it right away.
however some of the poems i didn’t like because i don’t like rhyming poems they make me cringe (personal preference sorry) and there was some rhyming in here. there were also some poems that a didn’t feel like were actual poems, more so statements or comebacks to an ex lover. not poetry.
Shawna (what.shawna.reads)
3.5 Stars. I liked the writing, but nothing really stuck with me when I put the book down. I enjoyed that the poems followed a narrative, but I feel that there were a few that could have been left out in order to make the story flow better.

I do think the blurb perfectly describes this book and that it's extremely relatable to "dating" in the social media age with and trying to figure out not only how you feel, but how another person feels when neither of you are saying it out loud. There were a
« previous 1 3 next »

• Love Looks Pretty on You
  • 2am Thoughts
  • Pillow Thoughts III: Mending the Mind
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • In a Dream You Saw a Way to Survive
  • Child of the Moon
  • The Truth About Magic
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • If My Body Could Speak
  • soft thorns
  • Sparks of Phoenix
  • You Only Love Me When I'm Suffering: Poems
  • Masquerade
  • Nocturnal
“In a world so determined
to sort us in boxes-
are you happy or sad
a morning person or night
woke warrior or shy
brown or white?

In a world that forgets
how ridiculous it is for a being
to be just one thing
when we are stardust and earth,
ashes and flowers,
all mangled together.

In a world that demands
I piece myself apart
to claim one identity or another,
I only find myself whole, here
with you, I can be everything,
I can be me.”
0 likes
“Love me like the ocean loves the shore
sometimes hard, sometimes gentle
retreating a bit to let her breathe
but never too far, never for long”
0 likes