Start by marking “Always the Groomsman” as Want to Read:
Always the Groomsman

Always the Groomsman

He’s my best friend’s best man, and I hate him.
So... why do I keep wanting to kiss him?

Weddings used to be fun... but then I had to be a groomsman in one. Then two. And now ten. The last place I want to be right now is in this Nowhereville, Idaho small town for my friend’s wedding, still single, and still a groomsman, yet again. And even worse: the best man,
Published September 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Always the Groomsman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always the Groomsman

Start your review of Always the Groomsman
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Like a road trip, this ride started off fun but lost its spark along the way.

Zane blew hot and cold. Sebastian sulked like a kid denied a lollipop.

The secondary characters didn't add much to the story. Colby was too good. Tony drank a lot. Austin talked like a bro dude.

I liked the slow burn, cute dog, and picture- perfect HEA, but the story lost tension as it progressed.

I found myself distracted and bored during the last few chapters, especially when reading about the Big Fat Straight Wedding.
Line
Eh, this was a nice, chill romance.
I liked Sebastian better than Zane, but all in all this was not an earthshattering, opinion-changing, horizons-expanding read.

It started on a sort of humorous note, but the tone changed a wee bit the further we got and ended up being very 'no muss, no fuss'-like.
There's nothing wrong with that, but I was sort of sad that Sebastian didn't continue on being a hummingbird soaked in caffeine.
It was a nice romance with not a LOT of drama, but with a cute dog.

I
Martin
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
description

Oh. My. God.

I'm not always a fan of 'sappy' romances, but this one worked absolutely perfectly for me.

This love story was pure, distilled romance. I loved every word of it.

Zane just had an awful break-up that ended his 10 year relationship. The man he thought he was gonna spend the rest of his life with kicked him out and Zane is prepared to never love or be loved again.

Worst of all, Zane agreed -again- to be someone's groomsman and being happy and upbeat while organizing a wonderfully romantic
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
My weakness...

Books with intuitive animals...I love hard!

Jelly...this was why I made it past the sample and to the epilogue. This was a nice soft easy going love story. The story as a whole? I just couldn’t get to like ANY of the characters except Sebastian and of corse Jelly. The simplistic plot felt redundant. My favorite part of this book was Jelly, and she made this book a likable read.
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

This was so good! This story was more than I was expecting it to be - it was interesting and fun and riveting, and Zane and Sebastian had wonderful chemistry.

These two have missed perceptions about each other at first, but it didn't take long - just one real conversation - for them to gain a connection between each other.

In the three weeks leading up to their friend Colby's wedding, these two start to fall for each other, all the while aware of Zane leaving back to LA at the end -
Coco.V
Nov 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (11/13/2019)! ...more
Bibliophile
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. New author for me. I thought the author did a nice job fleshing each character out, especially Sebastian, and I liked the pacing for the first 3/4 of the book. The story was sweet and low-angst which I was craving at the moment. My only quibbles was the ending (it felt rushed) and the writing at times. There are times, writing-wise, when there was a lot of telling rather than showing. Also, the author sometimes relied on cliches rather than her own original voice. I get the feeling ...more
Snorf
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
So outside the fact that all the groomsmen have somehow taken off 3 weeks of work and their lives to be there for this month long bachelor party/wedding prep, this was just meh.

By 45% of the way in, I lost interest. I did not care about the characters, nor did I care about the plot. I couldn't remember whose POV was whose because their voices were indistinguishable. I had to force myself through the last 55% of this book because I just didn't care.

The plot was boring, I didn't really care much
Earlyn
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love happens

This was a sad romance. Ooh with a happy ending.
Both guys had bad experiences in love and relationships.
Zane just came out of a 10year relationship and Sebastain was the gossip of the small town he lived in.
What was good about this connection they both questioned it. Could this be real after such recent heartache.
The process was slow but it worked for these two. My only problem was Sebastian's insecurity.
So for me it's a 3.5 stars.
Teresa
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet

This book was fun and sweet with a little drama. I liked the pug and the other groomsmen though I liked Sebastian and Zane best of all.
Stefanie
Sep 29, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
Read till 60%

Yeah they’re cute, but to story didn’t really kept my attention. Kept wondering why i was still reading.
JD Crittendon
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Just Lovey!

A bit fairytale-ish, light read, light angst but sweet pairing of Sebastian & Zane. I’ve read many of Raleigh Ruebins’ books and they all are in the same vein...interesting enough, sweet, sexy, in a pleasant setting. This is more of the same.
Jen
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Liked the premise

Opposites attract dual point of view
Standalone
Jaded and very recently out of a long term relationship, Zane is pulled into participation as a groomsman for the 10th time. Sebastian the optimistic but lonely best man looking forward to some much needed male bonding. Will the pain in their pasts prevent them from finding the love they want?
This couple felt co-dependent to me. While there was a good amount of time available for a relationship to develop, it felt like they existed
Mary Mary
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, favorites, arc
WOW!
I think it was one of the best (almost) drama-free love stories I have ever read!
It was simply AMAZING.

description

This is a book about a wedding, groomsmen, getting cold feet, friendship, broken hearts and how much life can change during 3 weeks. (and Jelly belly rubs)
It is written in a way that made me forget about real life and I couldn't sop reading - I wanted happy ending (even though I didn't want the story to end). I almost SAW Elliesville, Idaho, I almost smelled the forest and heard music.
Linda
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Will it be always a groomsman and never a groom for Zane?!
September 10, 2018
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I loved this very warm, second chance romance with L.A. accountant Zane and small town waiter Sebastian heading the cast of characters. Both burned in previous relationships and brought together as groomsmen in their hetero friends' wedding, three weeks of pre-wedding male bonding amongst the groom and groomsman in small Ellisville, Idaho nudges them together, along with the
Bo
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Incongruities Squared

This is really a 3 1/2 star rating, but four isn't that far off the beam. The problem with this one is that there are too many incongruities that you have to swim through.

Let's start off by saying that I really liked Sebastian as one of the MC's, and had my doubts all along about Zane but did warm up to him as the tale unfolded. They are walls apart in personality, culture and ability to gain the love of a pug dog. Both have been crushed in their major relationship, but
Sarita Chapdelaine
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
What a delightful and sweet story! It is beautifully written, emotional, low angst, has fabulous characters, a sweet Pug named Jelly and is fun to read. Once I started I could not put it down and even though it brought me to tears a few times it is mostly a happy and positive story. Sebastian and Zane are very different but they are perfect for each other. I love the progression of their relationship as they get to know each other in the three weeks leading up to the wedding. Sebastian is a ...more
Tam
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
On the weekend I read Always the Groomsman by Raleigh Ruebins. I think I got it on sale. It was a cute story about Zane who is heading to Idaho to be a groomsman for his best friend. This is his 10th (and last) wedding and his long-term boyfriend just dumped him 3 weeks ago. He's not in the mood, especially for best man (perkiest man ever) Sebastian and his "plans" for the next 3 weeks. But maybe there's more to everyone than meets the eye.

I liked that characters are portrayed in a certain way,
Fran
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two men - both lonely but looking for acceptance and love.

Zane was in the dumps since being jilted by his boyfriend of 10 years and now he's stuck driving 14 hours to a podunk town in Idaho with his dog Jelly to be a groomsman again.This was to be his last time for such a thankless task but at least it was for his bestest friend Colby who was finally marrying Erica. When Zane arrives he meets the epitome of a best man in Sebastian, the essence of a bubbly personality loaded with enthusiasm. Bot,
Alexa Rivers
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Squee alert!

This was the cutest romance I’ve read in ages. I loved it so much. The heroes were both adorable in their own way, although Sebastien holds a special place in my heart. He’s just so perky and sweet and reminds me of an excited little puppy who you’d never want to let down. Plus he babbles when he’s nervous, which is something I’m guilty of, so I could relate so much. He’s had a really rough time of it, but he hasn’t let it get him down, and I think that’s such an admirable trait.

Pontiki
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Zane is low because his boyfriend of 10 years broke up with him. But he’s a groomsman for the tenth time, and travels to his friend’s small town wedding.

Sebastian is the best man, who has lots of energy and a cheery outlook on life. Just what Zane needs, though it takes him awhile to figure it out.

As Zane heals from his breakup and Sebastian gets to know him, they find lots to share. Their relationship blooms, and they manage to get past their fears and challenges, from Sebastian’s mother to
blub
Zane has been a groomsman so many times that he's sick and tired of it, not to mention he's only just broken up with a his partner. Now alone he forces himself to be a groomsman for the last time for a good friend he had in college. Zane is moody and doesn't want to there but the best man, Sebastian is the opposite of Zane and is determined to make everything be a hit and is more than willing to keep Zane out of a slump and a happy participant of the festivities.

It was a good read and I liked
Phoenix13
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt and fun!

I really liked this book. Sebastian & Zane had a connection that I could almost feel, whatever they were doing. Zane especially had some baggage to overcome but together they just clicked. I loved how Sebastian has what seemed to me like hidden depths and knew just what to say or do-except a couple emotional times...I do sometimes wish characters would get their heads on straight in certain situations but then again stories wouldn’t be the same without a problem for them to
Susan
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raleigh Ruebins latest book, Always the Groomsman, leaves behind his popular series but continues his unlikely pairings. I liked both of the main characters, Zane, who is more than a typical accountant, and Sebastian, the small-town guy with heart. Their coming together as groomsmen of a major wedding and the diversity of environments for pre-wedding festivities allowed both men to learn more about each other, both good and bad. While the resolution to a long-distance relationship was easy to ...more
Caroline
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from Raleigh Ruebins. I've read many books by this author and this one did not disappoint, I couldn't put it down.

Always the Groomsman was a beautiful love story, this is my favourite thing about this author, all their books a beautiful romances. There were a few funny parts, some tear jerking emotional parts and of cause steamy bits. I loved both the main characters, no favourites, and Jelly the dog.

If your looking for a MM love story give Always the Groomsman a read.
Shelley Chastagner
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Sebastian. He's a true optimist that seeks out the good in everyone and everything, but he's also insightful. He sees Zane's standoffish behavior and knows that he's struggling with something painful. Sebastian offers a listening ear, friendship, and comfort. Zane is stewing in grief and there are moments when it overwhelms him. Sebastian shows up every time, just being a quiet presence. It was wonderful to watch these two so quickly fall, they take a bit to acknowledge their ...more
Claudia
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here we have two men (Sebastian and Zane) who slowly get to know each other during the three weeks of male bonding between the groom and groomsmen. There is no inst-love here. They talk, and dance, and spend a lot of time together and slowly, oh, so sweetly and slowly, they fall in love. They support each other, they understand each other until they relationship blossom.

A delightful love story, almost completely angst-free that will let you with a smile and a warm heart.

Tammy
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story pulls you into wanting to know more about Zane and Sebastian. The author made a world for their characters and made me want to go visit the places. Zane and Sebastian slowly build chemistry as the two get to know each other. I loved the story and hope to read more for a long time from the author. Stalking their bookshelves for more books to read.

Thank you for sharing your book with us.
John-Torleif  Harris
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a light-hearted, sweet romance about the best man and a fellow groomsman finding their HEA together. Neither character really had any significant growth during the course of the story, and the men that we first met were pretty much the same as the men at the end. This wasn’t a deal-breaker for me, but I did find it to be a bit disappointing and made this book, as a whole, merely ok, and not great.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.
Kirbie
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
True love wins

I felt Zane pain going through a break up isn't easy I had been with my ex boyfriend for a while and I understood what that was like unlike Zane he was given a second chance at love and getting to know Sebastian made Zane to open up a little more to the Affects of understanding who Zane is
And now they have there happy ending with Zane being the groom and not the groomsmen

• The Bride's Brother
  • Sanctuary (Wild at Heart #1)
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • Merge Ahead
  • Honeymoon for One
  • The Boyfriend Contract
  • The Sea Ain't Mine Alone
  • Someone Worth Keeping
  • 45 and Holding
  • Wild Heart
  • Rescue (Wild at Heart #2)
  • Sugar Daddy
  • Rocket Science
  • Mages & Mechanisms (Jak & Leander, #1)
  • Professor Adorkable (Domesticated Inc, #1)
  • The Twelfth Date (#boyfriendsbybLoved, #2)
  • Hunter's Heart (8 Million Hearts #4)
  • Flirt (Forever Wilde, #4.5)