Start by marking “Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks” as Want to Read:
Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks

Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks

By the time he was twenty, Alok Kejriwal had his life pre-planned for him. He would inherit the family’s socks manufacturing business and be the hard-working, money minting, quintessential Marwari businessman, forever.

Except that it didn’t turn out that way. A few years after surviving the family setup, something turned up that sent Alok on a completely different career p

Published September 25th 2018 by Westland

To ask other readers questions about Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks

Start your review of Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks
Sumit Bhatt
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This book is amazing. I don't know from where to start, this is a book in which author alok kejriwal has described his startup journey and the various challenges faced during that and the lessons learnt from it. Every page of this book is filled with nuggets of wisdom. Also the book is written in a very interesting manner and it feels like you are with author in his journey.
Also I find that author didn't filled the book with unnecessary information which eventually makes the book boring.
So it is
Ankit Doshi
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Divya Mangotra
I came across this book sometime in 2019 and had added it to my reading list. I am glad that I finally went around and read it. Both entrepreneurs and non-entrepreneurs will derive a lot of value from it. What stood out to me was the fact that even though it is a simple read, there is nothing but straight up wisdom on every page. As I went along reading the book, it was great to see some of my personal beliefs getting reaffirmed while learning so many new things. Highly highly recommend it.

My t
Kan Bhalla
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting autobiography with loads of lessons and anecdotes for new and seasoned entrepreneurs. Also a great read for sales professionals.

Most important part of each chapter is the My Learnings section at the end - it not only validates what you've already learnt from a certain story in the chapter but also adds a new dimension to how Alok thought about that incident at the time it happened vs what he feels about it in hindsight.
satish sharma
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Masterpiece. A must read.

This is a masterpiece. Author has presented his amazing journey so delightfully, I could not stop reading. I strongly recommend all entrepreneurs to read this book.
Ravi
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read many books by startup entrepreneurs from US and always wondered how much of those learnings are really relevant in the Indian Context where the business culture and context is very different .

this is one book which details the journey of the Indian Startup entrepreneur and found it very relevant and Inspiring .

Must read for those who are entrepreneurs or planning to start on their own .
Dhiran
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks - Alok Kejriwal
A quick easy read, yet full of magic for Entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs, also connects with a lot of youngsters who struggle with the issue of generation gap, mindset gap, thinking patterns in family businesses. Short, real stories of Alok with valuable lessons in his journey of #Entrepreneurship #BookLovers #LoveToRead
Harish
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book... rare occasion where from downloading the sample of a book to writing this review time elapsed is < 24 hours
Alok what a simple, humble and honest account of your entrepreneurial journey... rare degree of transparency.

Entrepreneurs must read this... so also those who have buried their entrepreneurial streak within.

Sample some excerpts here --

"...process of sales must be experienced first-hand by an entrepreneur, and not delegated to someone else...
"...even though fame, fortune a
Flo R
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Selected this book out of Amazon Prime's free monthly reading options.

It starts slow initially but the pace quickens the deeper into the book you go. The contents were quite insightful for someone like me, who in spite of access to media and people who were intensely aware of certain major events, grew up mostly tuned out when it came to a good chunk of Indian television like Jassi JKN, Indian Idol, KBC etc. Reality entertainment almost never caught on at home.

More about the beginning, the chapt
Ayush Lakhotia
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent book of how boy raised in a typical Marwadi setup and how business is ingrained in him since childhood. Just like other Marwari families, the young man faces a lot of difficulties as other family members are jealous of his success. He then, moves to the internet industry and makes a name for himself in the technology space, he is now known as Alok Kejriwal. There are a few interesting sales tips given by him in the book and a lot of focus on striving on hard work at all times which even ...more
Anand kumar singh
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book which highlights practical challenges in business and learnings thereby

I liked this book, specially how Alok has gone about his struggles, challenges and how he overcome them one after another. He has distinctly mentioned solutions and learnings in each chapter. Book is inspiring and motivating and full of wisdom. Highly recommended for everyone
Nitin Agrawal
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Qhick read and quick insights!

A concise pocket book kinds format on theearnings Kejriwal had over the years.
It was a breezy read which would be helpful for first time entrepreneurs
Neha rastogi
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crisp, short and kind of a pocket book.

Writer has shared personal stories and listed down his learnings from each..

This is a short learning book.
Khm Mahi
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Entrepreneurship, leadership, risk management well defined

A great book to know the pain, agony and mental toughness entrepreneurship requires.
Akash
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast recap of an serial entrepreneur life

Fast recap of an serial entrepreneur life. Short and to the point. Alok has poured his life learnings in the book.
Parimal
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good

The stories mentioned were intriguing and very inspiring for budding entrepreneurs. People should read this to get inspired and motivated to start their own journey.
JERIN SANTHOSH
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the way Alok presented his entrepreneurial journey blended in short stories. The most interesting part for me is the learning notes at the end of each chapters.
As a salesperson with a strong passion to become an entrepreneur once day, this book will be the best reference.
I really inspired by the selling approach and passion of Alok towards opportunities. This is something I really wanted to admire in my career.
Thank you for sharing your amazing rollercoaster entrepreneurship rid
Lok Esh
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started following Alok Sir on fb a year back and I become a fan of his posts and Dhande ki Baat tips, I am not a book reader at all but I love reading this one and being a small entrepreneur I can relate many things with myself also.
Rakesh
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolute cracker

Absolute cracker of a book. Must read for all. Take a bow Alok, I am sure even you would have been surprised by the reactions to the book.
Rohit Agarwal
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Journey that never ends

Determination, patience, hard work and sales are key take ways. Alok lucid writing style made me is fan. My learning section after each chapter is treasure.
Priyanka Dere
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting tale.of socks and contests!

Amazon prime (1book free we month) gave me an opportunity to download and read this book.
Never had this book on my reading list, but thank goodness that I got to read this one.
The book is a self account of Mr. Alok Kejriwal on his business upbringing, his tryst with his father's socks company and starting his own company.
Alok has been quite modest in penning his accounts of his salu life ( read sales life).

He recounts his failures, his Eureka moments in
GAGAN
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Effective learnings from someone who has done things first hand

Really loved the no-drama yet simply to the point focused learnings to ensure zero dilution of the concept Alok is trying to convey. Shorter chapter length makes it easier for you to correlate incidents and corresponding learning. Really enjoyed it reading in and out and totally recommended to everyone who wants to understand Indian startup struggles in most real sense.
Ajay
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read book for entrepreneur & others

Real life learnings.
Must read book for every entrepreneur, sales and marketing professional & a common man as well.
Thank you sir for sharing your valuable experience & knowledge with help of this wonderful book covering many important topics of startup & business life.

Remember
1. everything starts small so start and don’t wait
2. Practice makes a man perfect so keep practicing as an athlete or artist does it.
Shrutin
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I used to follow Alok's blog probably since its early days (around '07 or so, if I remember right), and attended a bunch of his Rodinhood meetups and felt there was a little something that was off (not in a bad way, but just something seemed off).
Reading his book in a personal record time of 2 days, I figured what that something off was. It was a child-like innocence that he has somehow managed to retain through years of surviving the ruthless business/entrepreneurial ecosystem. Something that a
Masood Ali
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book... Precise content

Interesting no nonsense book. I suggest this to every budding entrepreneurs, this has amazing lessons which will be extremely helpful
Vivek Golcha
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Read !

A very good read for all entrepreneurs - lot of lessons to be learnt from the amazing journey of Mr. Kejriwal !
Neeraj
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting read!!

Worth a read for every sales person. Its engaging and moves smoothly around the valuable lessons learnt which rarely thos B schools can teach u..
irshad sareshwala
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate Mr alok's effort in writing this book very precisely this book Is of a great help to young entrepreneurs. It was hard for me keeping this book aside .I must say after reading this book I am admiring your efforts,your luck and your potential, bravo !! For you sir ...more
Nikhilesh Mehta
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and engaging book
Ramanadham Pokuri
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Must read for any entrepreneur with alot of lessons.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• An Unexpected Gift
  • Flirting with Stocks: Stock Market Investing for Beginners
  • The Monkey Theory: Conquer Your Mental Chatter
  • 281 and Beyond
  • How to take decisions (Management Sutras)
  • 13 Steps to Bloody Good Wealth
  • Do It Today: Overcome Procrastination, Improve Productivity, and Achieve More Meaningful Things
  • Dream with Your Eyes Open: An Entrepreneurial Journey
  • Mind Without Fear
  • How I Almost Blew It
  • Happiness Express
  • It's All in the Planets
Born and brought up in Mumbai, Alok Kejriwal is a serial digital entrepreneur and is currently the CEO and co-founder of Games2win.

His first two companies, contests2win.com and Mobile2win, pioneered digital gaming and promotions in the world. The Walt Disney Co later acquired Mobile2win.

Alok’s first book, Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks, was a best-seller and won the C.K. Prahalad Best Business Boo