Start by marking “Christmas Homecoming (The Christmas Angel #4)” as Want to Read:
Christmas Homecoming (The Christmas Angel #4)

Christmas Homecoming

(The Christmas Angel #4)

August 1939. Roger Miller and Jack O’Brien have been close since childhood. By the time they realize there’s more between them than friendship, Jack is leaving their sleepy Iowa town for college. But they console themselves knowing he’ll be home for Christmas. Right?

It is Christmas before they see each other again, but that Christmas comes six years and a world war later.
ebook
Published December 2nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Homecoming

Start your review of Christmas Homecoming (The Christmas Angel #4)
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Historical Hearts - Team Review with Chelsea

Another win for this holiday series!

Prepare yourself for some heartache though…

Roger and Jack and have been boyhood friends for forever and at the cusp of adulthood, a shared kiss that could’ve possibly been the start of something never comes to full fruition as the world is soon thrown into war. Six years later and these two young men have seen and done much, suffered and grieved, and missed each other every day, surviving only through the hope of
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Christmas Homecoming is a pleasant enough read, but the story is quite short and lacks compelling character and relationship development.

Two boys kiss the summer before WWII breaks out and think of each other often as they suffer through the horrors of war. Both take other lovers and explore what it means to be with a man. They meet again after the war and initially feel like strangers. But then they kiss and decide to be together (in secret, of course).

Roger is being pressured by his parents
Cadiva
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every time I read a historical romance set in a period of war I want to just wrap my arms around the men who served but couldn't be open about their sexuality.

How many of them lost a loved one they couldn't openly mourn, like both Jack and Roger do here, and how many went to their deaths knowing their loved ones would suffer in silence.

Lori embeds this romance not only with that sense of loss, but also acknowledges those sacrifices with the characters of Floyd and Oskar, off page but important
Meags
4 stars

This addition to the lovely multi-author, holiday themed Christmas Angel series really packed quite an emotional punch!

Largely set in 1945, this novella follows two childhood best friends as they navigate their evolving and profound feelings for one another after each, now in their twenties, returns home to their sleepy town at the end of World War 2.

There were a lot of intense feelings and experiences being dealt with here, giving this story a bit more complexity and emotional gravitas
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.3 Stars

Didn't quite have that historic feel of the first two, but definitely nailed the small-town vibe. The innocence of that first kiss, the real lives the boys lived in between that summer and this Christmas...everything had a touch of melancholia tinged with optimism that just overwhelmed my feelz.

And this time we have two important characters mentioned in passing as having significant roles in both our MCs' lives (rather than side characters)...and I still find I want their stories. What
Anyta Sunday
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Disclaimer, I have a book as part of this series. However, all the books are standalones and I've been so thrilled to read some of the stories already.

I had tears in my eyes. This story moved me. It ends on a beautiful heartwarming HEA, rest assured. And, my, these boys certainly earned it. Sigh. <3

Melissa
This was cute. Nothing earth shattering, no big highs or lows. The audio was good. Hmm, I compare this to a Hallmark movie, sweet and easy.
Annika
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook review

Once upon a time there were two young men living in a small town in Iowa. They were the best of friends. One August day in 1939 they realise there was something more between them than friendship and they share the sweetest of kisses. Then WWII happens and half a decade of separation without any contact. Fast forward to Christmas in 1945; they are both back in home. Both a bit scarred and tired from war. Old feelings bubble to the surface and this time they decide not to run from
Lelyana
“For some reason every time I touched that angel or looked at it, I remembered that if I got through the war, then I might see you again. Sometimes… sometimes that was the only thing that kept me going.”

This is a very beautiful second chance romance from one of my favorites, LA Witt.
As we knew, back then, being gay was forbidden and even Jack and Roger didn't know that they're gay, they're just, 'people lile us'.
After six long years and realized being with women is never an option, the
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.5

For some reason, this was the saddest one for me so far.

I think the reality of Roger and Jack having to deal with the time they grew up and lived in for some reason weighed heavy on my heart.

Their discovery of their feelings and what it might mean was just so innocent and fragile.

War made them both grab for anything that could keep them standing and as sane as possible. Coming back and re-connecting with one another, having the reality of
Ele
*3.5 stars*

I always read romantic stories set in this time period with a heavy heart. Is there a more hopeless time for people to fall in love?

L.A.Witt knows her stuff when it comes to military themed stories and Christmas Homecoming was no exception. Here it was not the military details that stood out but the general feel of a postwar era. That cloud of loss and despair that still hangs above everyone and the way it shapes romantic relationships in particular.

So that aspect of the story was
Josy
~ 3.5 stars ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't even know what is happening right now...
Like seriously... Impatient Elf has rendered me speechless!!
I just came home to find not 1, not 2, not 3, but 7 books in my inbox!!!
Christmas Angel, Summerfield's Angel, A Soldier's Wish, Santa Daddy, The Magician's Angel, Christmas Prince, and Christmas Homecoming
I'm grateful beyond words for all this Christmas fluffiness <3<3<3<3
L.A. Witt
Oct 09, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Available Dec 2.
Sheri
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Our bewitched beauty takes us to the post-war era this time around and leave it to Witt to powerpack some extra feels. Roger and Jack have been best friends for as long as they can remember. Suddenly, the boys are whisked off to war and return very different men. Carefree grins and the invincibility that only young men boast have been replaced with dim half-smiles and nightmare shadows of piercing reality. Before they parted six years ago, they shared a stupendous farewell. A courageous kiss ...more
Trio
Honestly this story was just okay for me. The characters were a little underdeveloped and I felt a disconnect between the intimacy of the first half of the story and when they come together again after the war.

I listened to the audio version and Nick J. Russo does a lovely job. His distinct voices fit each of these men to a T and I love his emotion as he performs the memories these men share from their wartime experiences.

an audiobook copy of Christmas Homecoming was provided to me for the
Bitchie
Happy ending, but overall, this one had a very melancholic air to it, and it didn’t leave me with the good feels. Also, the angel barely played a part in the story.
Bookreader87(Amanda)
RJ

Childhood friends who share a stolen moment before one goes off to college. A shared kiss and unsaid feelings are left behind. Unfortunately, the war changes their lives and pulls them further apart.
When the two meet again years later they fill adrift but something keeps pulling them toward each other.
Overall this story was ok. Honestly a bit too angsty for a Christmas story but I did enjoy how the wooden angel travels through each of these books.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing

4.5 stars - This is one of those stories I grabbed without reading the blurb just because I’m a huge fan of the author. I’m not a huge fan of historical stories (or holiday stories, lol), however, but I still wasn’t too worried. Once again, that paid off for me, because this was a wonderful story. It’s hard to imagine what things were like back then, when men were drafted into the military, or when they signed up because it was the only option they saw for themselves. It’s even more difficult to
Eugenia
WWII Christmas Angst....

3.3 Stars....While repetitive and angsty, this was a sweet, historical read made even better by Nick J. Russo’s splendid narration.
Skirmish
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Review: https://neverhollowed.wordpress.com/2...
Rating: 4 Stars – minor quibbles but I loved it to bits
Achim
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
Don't know if I really consider it as a Holiday read. It's so much more. Got me right from the start with its nostalgic accord. 2 boys, best friends, their last afternoon before one of them leaving for college, a waterhole back in the forest, childhood memories all over, a first kiss and then the world caught fire and they were loosing each other but never that memory which kept them sane during the great war. Then they meet again - by chance, in their old church yard and the memory is still
Zuzu
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Roger & Jack. But seriously, were parents really this obsessed in the 40’s and 50’s about getting their children married off?
CrabbyPatty
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book in the Christmas Angel series, set in 1939 and 1947 as best friends return after WWII and confront their feelings for one another. I liked the dynamic between the two MCs and how Witt carefully sets out all the expectations of the era - the dream of a nice new house, complete with a housewife and a few kids. There is pressure to marry, and pressure for women to stay home rather than enter the workforce, and there's the desire to ignore what servicemen and women suffered during the war and ...more
Ami
I wish I can enjoy it better than I did -- however, I thought Roger and Jack's voices were way too similar. Several times I thought I read Roger's part but turned out it was Jack's or vice versa. It was nice sweet read but not my favorite of Witt's for sure.
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
Nick J Russo did a wonderful job on this narration, but the story did nothing for me. I hate that. I'm sure it's a case of ME and not the book.
Relly
Good addition

Good addition to the series. I liked Roger and Jack both trying to return to life after the war. I liked that they both had other experiences outside of each other too.
R.J.
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer - I have a book in this series of books ... but... I had to review. I read it last night and finished the whole story in one sitting, with a ball of emotion trapped in my chest, and a few tears (sad and happy). Recommended...
Carra
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
L.A. Witt easily captures the subdued atmosphere of the post-WWII era here in Christmas Homecoming, as well as the upsetting reality of society’s confines with which same sex couples were faced at that time. This story was also intensely emotional and much more angsty than the previous stories in the series. This time around, the angel brings us a second chance romance of childhood friends in a short novella that covers a time frame from 1939 to about 1950.

When we first meet Roger and Jack, it’s
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

**4.5 stars**

I read this story with a sense of nostalgia as both my father and mother and my father-in-law served in World War II and I could imagine clearly what the times they lived in were like, having been raised on stories of wartime and having lived in neighborhoods where elderly bachelors lived together. We were never to go near their house, though, because God knows why two men
Coco.V
Nov 26, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (11/26/2019)! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • Santa Daddy
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Love Happens Anyway
  • Homebird
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • Better Not Pout
  • Stuck with You
  • Tomte
  • Upside Down
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Beautiful Dreamer (So This is Christmas #1)
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • All I Want for Christmas...Is My Sister's Boyfriend
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is ...more

The Christmas Angel (7 books)
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Summerfield's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #2)
  • The Magician's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #3)
  • A Soldier's Wish