Start by marking “In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying” as Want to Read:
In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying

In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying

At thirty-six years old, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche was a rising star within his generation of Tibetan masters and the respected abbot of three monasteries. Then one night, telling no one, he slipped out of his monastery in India with the intention of spending the next four years on a wandering retreat, following the ancient practice of holy mendicants. His goal was to throw ...more
Published May 7th 2019 by Spiegel & Grau

To ask other readers questions about In Love with the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Love with the World

Start your review of In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
Krystal
This is a tricky one to rate.

There's two aspects to it, really: the Monk's journey (or, the beginning of it) and Buddhist teachings on life and death.

I think it was the contrast between the two that made this such a slow read for me, because it's two topics I'm rather fascinated by but it was jarring to switch between the two constantly with this book.

The journey: Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche has lived his life as a Buddhist monk in relative comfort and luxury. He has risen through ranks with
Paul Oppenheimer
An intimate teaching story

A first-person narrative of the author’s coming to terms with the teachings of his traditions. Written clearly and without pretending.

Debra
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I am a monk; a son, a brother, and an uncle; a Buddhist; a meditation teacher; a tulku, an abbot, and an author; a Tibetan Nepali; a human being. Which one describes the essential me?”

In 2011 Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche left a note on his bed, walked out of his monastery in India and began a four year wandering retreat.

Inspired by Tibetan Buddhist Yogis of the past, he aspired to achieve enlightenment and experience his true Buddha nature.

Following the Tibetan principle of ‘adding wood to the fire’
Anneke
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Book Review: In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
Author: Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche andHelen Tworkov
Publisher: Random House Spiegel & Grau
Publication Date: May 7, 2019
Review Date: March 30, 2019

From the blurb:
“A rare, intimate account of a world-renowned Buddhist monk’s near-death experience and the life-changing wisdom he gained from it.”

This is a fantastic book for
Teri Temme
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"...pause and notice what we already have..."
Dorie
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
In Love With The World : A Monks Journey Through The Bardos of Living and Dying
by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
due 5-7-2019
Random House/Spiegel & Gran
5.0 / 5.0

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche began studying Tibetan Buddhism and attending retreats to help learn how to deal with death. A bardo believes the stage between dying and rebirth is becoming. Yongey felt it would help him come closer to the state of Pure Awareness. Yongey went on a retreat and became deathly ill with food poisoning. He was told
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and Helen Tworkov. Nonfiction. Kindle Edition. Published 07 May 2019. 5 Stars.

Superb. An intense, introspective and one-of-a-kind memoir as Rinpoche takes us through his soul-searching journey from ego and physical death to his amazing emergence from its ashes. You’ll find yourself in the capable hands of a passionate and seasoned teacher as he generously shares his journey and practices
Daniel Lee
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
p1-adding wood to the fire
c1 who are you
labels' value change along time
under challenge of fire, normal awareness to meditative aware

to pure aware, as from dual to single
c2 acknowledge the wave but stay with the ocean
remember the constant
original questions:reaction ture?assumption correct?where

from?
unpleasant feelings,not run away, not manipulate to pleasant,

just stay with what is with whatever arises
c3 born with a silver spoon
c4 impermanence and death
don't cling to things that
Dawn Tessman
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story of a monk who sheds himself of all his worldly possessions and creature comforts to go on a wandering retreat in search of enlightenment. Unfortunately, for me, the book seemed to be more focused on Buddhist practices and teachings than the monk’s journey. The beginning is so promising, filled with the rich imagery and excitement of Mingyur Rinpoche’s clandestine departure from his monastery. But, then, the story quickly loses all its charm by bogging the reader down in lessons of the ...more
Brian Wilcox
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read the Tibetan Book of the Dead and, likewise, a leading commentary on it, this I found to be more helpful in appreciating the process of the bardos, as well as applying them to impermanence generally. Here is a real-life documentary from within the process, and it being by a living contemporary reinforced the treatment for me.

This view of life-dying-death-rebirth challenges the Near Death Experience phenomena. This challenge is not in denying NDEs, mostly pleasant, a few not, but
Teo 2050
Contents

Mingyur Rinpoche (2019) (09:48) In Love with the World - A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying

Prologue

Part I: Adding Wood to the Fire

01. Who Are You?
02. Acknowledge the Wave but Stay with the Ocean
03. Born with a Silver Spoon
04. Impermanence and Death
05. Letting Wisdom Arise
06. What Will You Do in the Bardo?
07. Lessons from Milarepa
08. Varanasi Rail Station
09. Emptiness, Not Nothingness
10. If You See Something, Say Something
11. A Visit from Panic, My Old Friend
12. A Day
John
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a Buddhist, 5/5 - I loved it. I really enjoyed the way the author made very complex aspects of Tibetan Buddhism accessible and easy to understand. I will be reading more of Mingyur Rinpoche's work on this subject.

As a writer, 3/5 - The narrative arc of almost 85-90% of the book is about a journey that, in the end, we don't get more than about a month of. I was very interested in the process by which Rinpoche identified the labels he lived by and tried to peel back those layers of identity to
Paul
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the blurb/seeing the author talk, I was expecting a travelogue of his four-year wandering retreat; instead, this was a deep dive into the first couple weeks, from leaving the monastery to a near-death experience, and what these experiences taught him about impermanence, emptiness, and dying. After the initial surprise wore off, this made enough sense – it did a nice job of illuminating the spiritual lessons that can be learned from everyday moments and in adversity.

I probably would have
Janet Moulton
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read so much that I often forget to post reviews, as I did with this book. Today, October 1st, 2019, I realized I did not write a review. I was very fortunate to have been selected as one of the winners of a book giveaway which I entered via good reads. I absolutely loved this book. It is the tale of a Buddhist monk's adventure outside of the protections he was used to in a monastery. He tells the story with minute personal details which enriched the reading experience. I felt I was on the ...more
Adriana
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was not what I expected, but it was useful and made me think. I expected more about Mingyur Rinpoche's 3+years wandering retreat itself, but the first 70% of the book covered the first 2 weeks of it only, describing his struggles to adjust to the real world (simple things like buying a train ticket) after living in monasteries where ordinary things were taken care for him. He also vividly described his emotions and feelings evoked by his ego and being self-consciousness in these ...more
Stephanie
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fabulous. The insights and wisdom shared by Mingyur Rinpoche are endless. I listened to this book on Audible and after chapter 1 purchased it in hard copy as it is lesson upon lesson of how to move beyond everything you identify with source your identity from pure awareness. I laughed, I got sweaty palms as he had to beg for his first meal...I cried as he wrestled with the decision for life or death. This book is beauty, love and wisdom. It is a must read for life!
ag Berg
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I have been following Mingyur Rinpoche for about 6 years. He was on his long retreat when I first learned about him, Tergar, and Tibetan buddhism. This book brings meditation to our everyday lives. Rinpoche explains it in terms of life's ups and downs and how meditation can change your life, perspective of life and how you view the world.
I am so glad he survived and has come back to share his knowledge. Anyone interested in meditation should look him up, his videos are great
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook, which may have been a mistake. The narrator had a very un-monk-like way of speaking, a bit too performative or something. I found myself unable to fully concentrate or really get into his words because he sounded like a newscaster or the kind of speech that you would just ignore, not like someone who is talking to you.

I might still try to read it again to capture some of the spiritual teachings though. I think there’s some good material in there if you’re interested
Kristine
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
In Love with the World by Yonget Mingyur Rinpoche is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early May.

The writings of Rinpoche, a Buddhist monk on retreat/sabbatical to study other religions and end-of-life rituals in Asia. It has some elements of The Celestine Prophecy where the journey is the book’s way of conveying lessons and teachings (i.e. chaptered vignettes on mindfulness, facing and acknowledging anxious thoughts and transgressions, impermanence, experiencing both awareness and
FARSHAD
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
NB. I read the first 60 percent of the book. The rest I flipped through.

It is a good book, full of interesting passages from Tibetan Buddhism interlaced with a fascinating journey in India.

It is good to read it but experience is more important. The book is like a nod to the moon; you wanna see the moon for yourself rather than focus on the nod.

Some concepts keep recurring too. To me it was boring.
J Katz
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book although reading was slow in teaching parts. The story of a highly regarded and well treated monk who leaves the life long security of his station to go on a "wander" is amazing. He has never, for instance, had to buy his own train tickets or figured out many other mundane life problems. When he gets deathly ill the description of dying is amazing. I really felt his explanations about meditation were helpful too.
Victor
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Learned a lot about the nature of the mind and Tibetan Buddhism.

However, i was expecting the author to tell more story about his journey. Instead, he only talked about the first incident and sped through the rest.

The jumping back and forth from story and teaching is sometimes jarring.

Nevertheless, still a recommended book if you are interested about meditation and the mind.
Roger Whitson
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best dharma book I've read since I started practicing. I'm not as familiar with Tibetian practices than other forms of mindfulness meditation, so some of the book required some translation. But Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche has a very unique and powerful mind, and the most amazing parts of this book was simply watching him as he struggled with the defilements and embraced emptiness.
Marc Mannheimer
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Not only was this autobio, from roughly a month of a Buddhist monk's life, interesting, the teachings, both directly expressed and implicit helped me greatly in understanding several points of Buddhist experience on which I had been in the dark. The author, having experienced panic disorder throughout his life, made me feel at home with the teachings, and hopeful for my own progress, as I, too, suffer from anxiety.
Richard Ladew
There is a lot to process here, and I highly recommend it!

It’s not a typical meditation instruction manual, nor is it solely a collection of dharma talks.

It’s really interesting how this book is a hybrid of meditation practice and an adventure story of gaining wisdom, (perhaps even enlightenment?) from leaving absolutely everything and everyone behind in your life.
Sue
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Love With the World - a fascinating journey and fabulously complicated read that threads one man’s longing for direct experience of ‘reality’ with profound and often elusive teachings of Buddhism. Many of the teachings are far beyond my grasp. Still I was captivated to follow this one person’s experience of ‘being with’ deeper dimensions of consciousness and awareness.
Bram
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Near death experience and a primer on Tibetan Buddhism

Mingyur Rinpoche has written a captivating memoir about his first wandering pilgrimage. He describes secretly leaving his monastery and the challenges (including a near death experience) he encountered, while weaving in a great primer of Tibetan Buddhism.
Mike Morris
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re hoping for an exotic travelogue, this may not be your book. But, if you want a remarkably candid and intimate first hand look at the inner life of an authentic and well-respected Buddhist teacher - and a clear and accessible teaching on recognizing and experiencing the bardos within your present life and experience - you won’t be disappointed.
Gary
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this book. It was more helpful than the Dalai Lama's book "The Art Of Happiness." I think this because I could contact with Rinpoche more than I could with the Dalai Lama. Both books are written by someone else. In this book, I could relate with Rinpoche. In the Dalai Lama's book, I was getting info from a third party.

Sincerely, Gary
Sia
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
"If this is my time to die, let me accept my death. If this is my time to live, let me accept my life.
All of life is a magic display of light and form, a universe of infinite blessings that invites us to turn our hearts inside out, and love completely, to love until the inexhaustible end of dreams."
Mt. Lebanon Publi...: In Love with the World by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche 1 3 Jun 11, 2019 04:41PM

• Conscious
  • Altered Traits: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain, and Body
  • Old Path White Clouds: Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha
  • Bodhisattva Mind: Teachings to Cultivate Courage and Awareness in the Midst of Suffering
  • Blueprint: The Evolutionary Origins of a Good Society
  • Don't Bite the Hook: Finding Freedom from Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions
  • Thoughts Without A Thinker: Psychotherapy From A Buddhist Perspective
  • Conquest of Mind: Take Charge of Your Thoughts and Reshape Your Life Through Meditation
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living
  • Spontaneous Creativity: Meditations for Manifesting Your Positive Qualities
  • The Life of Milarepa
“We do not need to get rid of the ego—this unchanging, solid, and unhealthy sense of self—because it never existed in the first place.” 4 likes
“Through the practice of shamata meditation, the tumultuous habits of mind calm down; and then we can investigate the characteristics of the calm waters beyond the monkey’s control. This is called vipashyana—or insight—meditation. I knew monkey mind intimately. I also knew that when we dismiss any value to knowing this monkey, it’s like owning a car without knowing how to drive. The less we know about the chattering, muttering voice in our heads that tells us what to do, what to believe, what to buy, which people we should love, and so forth, the more power we grant it to boss us around and convince us that whatever it says is true.” 2 likes