Start by marking “Toffee” as Want to Read:
Toffee

Toffee

The astonishing new novel from the incomparable, multi-award-winning and Laureate, Sarah Crossan.

I am not who I say I am,
and Marla isn't who she thinks she is.

I am a girl trying to forget.
She is a woman trying to remember.

Allison has run away from home, and with nowhere to live, finds herself hiding out in the shed of what she thinks is an abandoned house. But the
Published May 2nd 2019 by Bloomsbury YA (first published March 6th 2019)

Start your review of Toffee
C.G. Drews
I've read a few Crossan novels, but I Think this is my favourite. Because e m o t i o n s alright?! It's about hurt people and how abuse makes you feel so small, and I have such a soft spot in my heart for found-family. I just ached for Allison the whole time and her arc. It was like the whole book she was rigid with anxiety and then she got to thaw, she got to take a breath, and I am just like

It's written in verse! Which means it's quite a quick read. And oftentimes I struggle with verse
Lou
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such an original book and due to that, it was right up my street. It's a unique read which uses a poetic format and structure to tell the profoundly moving story of Allison and Marla whose paths cross inexplicably and they grow to become close despite the substantial age gap between them. Two different generations finding comfort in one another was heart-warming and as the story highlights issues both generations go experience it was topical, thought-provoking and intensely compelling. ...more
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
A powerful novel in verse that really made me think. I sat back and did nothing but contemplate just how difficult can be sometimes and reading Toffee made me seriously realise it!

A young girl called Allison has left her toxic home environment and finds herself a runaway, crossing paths with an elderly lady who has dementia and staying in her home to keep her company. The rest of the lady's family doesn't know about Allison's existence. All she has ever wanted to be is happy. The verse format
Kai
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
"I liked the idea of being
sweet and hard,
a girl with a name for people
to chew on.
A girl who could break teeth."

Toffee is a great one. It's my second Sarah Crossan novel and even though it was slightly less perfect than Moonrise, I loved it a little more. First of all, I love the feeling of flying through a book and because this is written in verse, you can read it in no time. It feels simplistic and meaningful at once. Often you don't need many words to express a feeling. The emotions will hit
Emma
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

This book tackles some serious issues using a poetic formal, the one I got to know and expect from Sarah Crossan's books.

The main character, Allison, has just escaped an abusive home and finds herself in a city far away from her own and with nowhere to go. This is until she realizes that Marla, an old lady with dementia, lives alone. The two of them start living together and develop a wonderful friendship by giving each other what they desperately need: attention and care. It was
El
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t going to read this book but then I saw it in the library & thought ‘why not?’
*story of my life*

Honestly, how could I ever have even considered not reading a Sarah Crossan?!
I just love the way she writes & not just the tone but the format!

And she always makes me cry - which is a good thing in these cases!

But so, so, so sweet & it’s crazy how attached you get to the characters when you can read the book pretty quick.

Anyway, I’m off to follow Sarah Crossan because I hadn’t
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloomsbury
Allison Daniels is searching for a place to stay, discovering what she believes is a vacant outbuilding on an abandoned property to rest her weary body. Compelled to find her former stepmother and the only person who understands the abusive and adverse environment inflicted upon Allison, her meagre possessions are stolen and determined not to return to her abusive father, seeks shelter on the dilapidated property.

Allison is a family violence survivor, her father a neglectful and abusive man
MariaWitBook
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful beautiful way of storytelling! This will be definitely one of my favourite books ever! Would love to see a illustrated edition. Thank you for such a beautiful book.
Brooklyn Tayla
I picked this up on a whim when I was at my local Dymocks bookstore, after seeing it float around on bookstagram and being intrigued by the Sypnosis! Aside from that, though, I didn’t know what to expect!
What I didn’t imagine was how moved I would be by this book! It was so addictive, I couldn’t put it down! I found the unique way that Sarah Crossan composed this book was so eloquent and raw, I just found myself being so affected!
The writing was just so lyrical and powerful, I couldn’t notfeel
Kayleigh
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Toffee is a beautifully written book and the fact that it’s written in verse makes it even more captivating.
The poetry style of this book doesn’t at all take away from the story.
Allison and Marla meet through the most unusual of circumstances and somehow become incredibly close despite the huge difference in age.
It’s an incredibly heartwarming read about two lonely, isolated people who somehow find friendship and comfort in each other and I can’t recommend this book enough.

Marie the Librarian
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think Sarah might be one of my fave authors. The way she writes, the subjects, the characters, the emotions, my poor heart cant take it and I love it. Her prose packs such a punch.
Bridget
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a start. So keen to read the rest of the book. Will definitely buy it for my students. I’ll buy anything by Sarah Crossan and I have a boys school library, she is always a hit. Can’t wait to read the whole book.
Inna
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great story from Crossan. Touching, sad, hopeful and beautiful, I can't believe how she can express so much with so little words.
Elvina Zafril
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story about a girl, Allison who ran away from home. She takes shelter in an abandoned house and apparently there’s someone staying in that house. She met Marla who mistakenly thought that Allison was her friend, Toffee. Allison tries to tell Marla her name, but Marla switches it back to Toffee.

Touches on very critical issues, Toffee talks about domestic abuse, loneliness, abusive parents and dementia. It was beautifully written. The thing that makes this book even more captivating is it was
Em The Reading Challenge Challenge
"I liked the idea of being
sweet and hard,
a girl with a name for people
to chew on.
A girl who could break teeth."

Allison Daniels has run away from home. Hoping to find the almost-stepmother who abandoned her, she instead finds herself sleeping in someone's shed. That someone is Marla, an old woman struggling with dementia, who thinks Allison is someone from her past named Toffee. With nowhere else to go, Allison moves in with Marla though she must still hide her existence from Marla's family and
MissStan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful read! This is sad, heartwarming and in the end hopeful. Another of Sarah Crossan’s books written in verse, this is beautifully written. So many lovely descriptive lines, and heart wrenching lines that knock the stuffing out of you. I love how Allison’s story is revealed bit by bit. I couldn’t put it down and read it in one sitting. A must read!
Thebooksofwonder
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I went to the bookstore the first book I saw was this one. I've seen this book a few times on bookstagram but I knew nothing about it and I didn't know what to expect. I bought it because it sounded very interesting.

Oh my God, this book is amazing! The way this is writing is so unique and the writing was so powerful. Allison went through a lot with her dad and the story jumps back and forth to the present and past. Mary is someone who forgets a lot and thinks that Allison is an old friend
Mehsi
A wonderful and special book about abuse, dementia, bad friendship, finding a home, and more. It was beautifully written.

Poetry still isn't entirely my thing, but I just can't resist a book like this one. I know I loved this author's other book, One, so I was eager to get this one started.

I wasn't always a fan of the MC, like how she just got into the house and then how she kept sneaking around and making use of Marla's dementia as I would call it. I get it, she is desperate, afraid, alone,
Samantha
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars!!
Jude
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
With "Toffee", Sarah Crossan has cemented her position as one of my favourite YA authors, this is a FABULOUS book!! It's written in verse form and contains grief, abuse, and dementia along with kindness and joy. Once you start reading it, it's almost impossible to put down. I can already see that it's going to be amongst my best books of 2019 and I would highly recommend reading it.
Janet Emson
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books, reviewed
Allison has run away from a violent home. Trying to track down her dad’s last girlfriend she finds out that she has moved. With no money and nowhere else to turn to, she takes shelter in the shed of what appears to be an abandoned house. But then she meets Marla, who thinks Allison is someone from her past. Slowly the two become friends and Marla shows Allison that family isn’t always dependent on birth.

Allison is a complex character. A product of her environment she is distrustful, scared and
Linda
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot tell you how much I love this author. I have read 3 of her books and each is amazing. I will be hunting out her entire backlist and reading them.
Toffee is in fact Allison, she has run away from home and has, for want of a place to stay, been living in secret with Marla. Marla has dementia and thinks Allison is Toffee a teenage friend from long ago. A friendship of sorts develops between this elderly woman and the scared lonely girl, and through their memories we learn a lot about them.
Tracy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.7/5 stars. I love Sarah Crossan so much. I have absolutely given my whole heart to every book of hers I have read. Toffee is no different. So beautifully written, so emotional, so pure and amazing. The struggle, the fight, the development and strength. I just. LOVE.

I started this last year, when I borrowed it from the library and I think it was so sad, and I couldn't deal with this book at the time.. But I saw it again and decided to finish it.
Blue
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is literally one of those books that gives you all the feelings with just a few words.
Though it appears to be a normal size book, the text is written in verse. Which means that it is a quick and easy read, but lacks the depth and details that a normal book would contain. In that regard there really isn’t a plot to it but more raw emotion.
Personally for me there were a lot of questions that were unanswered and it left too many questions.
Natalie M
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A remarkably different read in verse/language and characters.

Definitely a YA read with strong coming of age themes which are reinforced via Allison’s self-discovery while accidentally living with dementia sufferer Marla. The abuse of both the young and old are themes in this read but Crossan’s prose makes them easier to ‘witness.’

A quick read but some heavier notions may not suit all readers.
Graine Milner
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had been so looking forward to this new novel by the amazing Sarah Crossan and this did not disappoint. As usual, Sarah Crossan has taken my heart and trampled all over it. I think Moonrise remains my favourite, but I still absolutely loved this - the juxtaposition of Marla, who struggles to remember, with Allison, who is trying to forget. Little by little, their stories are revealed, and their unlikely alliance is a lifeline for both of them. Heart-breaking, heart-warming - a complete joy to ...more
Femke
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-read
She did it again, I’m a fucking emotional wreck . ...more
Saskia
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the style of how the book was written like a poem.
Great story!
Sarah Camilleri
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story written in a very unique way. Loved every minute.
Catherine Doyle
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Young Adult, Dementia, Coffee, 2019. [s] 5 33 Jun 21, 2019 08:48PM

• The Black Flamingo
  • Everything All at Once
  • What Magic Is This?
  • As Happy as Here
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Furious Thing
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated with a degree in Philosophy and Literature before training as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and worked to promote creative writing in schools before leaving teaching to write full time.

She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick in 2003 and in 2010 received an Edward Albee Fellowship for writing.

She