Start by marking “Stealing Home” as Want to Read:
Stealing Home

Stealing Home

Fight for your dreams, even if it means breaking a few rules.

Seventeen-year-old Ryan Russell has life perfectly planned. If she keeps up her hard work, one day she’ll take over the family business: owning the Buckley Beavers, a minor league baseball team, and become one of the only female General Managers in the sport.

But when the newest member of the Beavers, child-phenom
Published July 9th 2019 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Home

The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
YA Novels of 2019
862 books — 2,769 voters
Blossom in Winter by Melanie MartinsDaisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins ReidThe Silent Patient by Alex MichaelidesThe Wicked King by Holly BlackRed, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
Best Books of 2019
814 books — 1,454 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Stealing Home
emma
oh yeah! i forgot i finished this!

this is a book about baseball, and i do truly hate baseball. far and away my least favorite sport. why is it so long? just...make it shorter. it's excessive. anyway.

the fact that baseball is my least favorite thing, ever, in the history of the world did not dissuade me from this book, though. i like reading books about things i don't know about. it's called LEARNING.

the problems i had with this book were thus twofold:
- i still don't know anything about baseball
Samantha (WLABB)
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, ya, arcs, romance
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Although I never played any sports ball, I LOVE sports romances, and therefore, had to have this book as soon as I heard about it. But, Stealing Home was not your typical sports romance. This was about having a dream, and doing everything you could to make it happen.

Sawyer was the number one draft pick for the Buckley Beavers, the minor league team for the Texas Rangers. He hoped to make it to the majors, and earn enough money to help save his family's farm. Ryan also hoped to
Miranda Kenneally
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stealing Home is a wonderful baseball story. I found myself swept back to all those the warm summer nights of hanging out with friends and hoping for first love.
Katy Upperman
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Utterly delightful! STEALING HOME encompasses everything I love about contemporary YA romance — savvy heroine, swoony love interest, snappy dialogue, and butterfly-inducing chemistry — while still feeling unexpected and fresh. I was rooting for Ryan and Sawyer (and the Buckley Beavers!) from the very first pitch. Definitely check this one out when it releases this summer!
Wing (bibliomeds)
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book is so cute and real and Sawyer is adorable I love him.
super glad that i decided to read this before i head back to the battlefield medical school.
highly recommend if you're looking for a heart-warming novel that soothes the soul.
Andrea C. *andreandherbooks*
Originally 3.5 stars but changed to 3 stars.
Becky
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
If you’re looking for a sweet summer romance...

If you’re looking for a sweet summer romance, then STEALING HOME might be perfect for you. Stick it in your beach bag and devour at will.
Heidi
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars: A book that screams summer with baseball and romance.

Ryan paces nervously. She is waiting at the airport to pick up Sawyer Campbell, The Texas Rangers’ number one draft pick. Sawyer is one of the youngest baseball players drafted, and he is going to be playing on Ryan’s dad’s minor league team. That means Ryan is charged with picking him up at the airport. She cares nothing about the fact that he is the same age as she is, and that he is incredibly handsome. Ryan is all about
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
This was a quick, and fun read. This is my first Becky Wallace book, and it certainly won’t be my last. Her writing style is both captivating and unique and really pulled me in, as a reader.

Wallace’s characters, Ryan and Sawyer were so awesome together. The sweet chemistry that you instantly feel between their quirky characters is fantastic. It’s just enough to spark the romance between them, while not being crazy and wild. Definitely what I like to see in a young adult read.

Seeing Ryan and
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, physical-2019
ALL OF THE STARS

This was the sweet, summer romance I have been looking for. Baseball, BBQ, and Boys. What more could a Southern girl want? I cannot wait to write my review.

**HUGE thanks to the publisher for sending an advance copy for my review. All thoughts and opinions are my own**
Danielle Hammelef
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had everything and more that I love about contemporary YA--friendship, slow-burn romance, intelligent and driven POV characters, family drama, athletes, and a plot that delved way deeper than the surface. I highly recommend this book for anytime of the year.
Stacee
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had seen so many high reviews for this book and I loved the synopsis, so I was pretty eager to get into this one. Sadly, it was a little disappointing for me.

I liked Ryan well enough. She’s smart and knows what she wants and how to go after it. At the same time, she’s quite neglectful of everything that’s not baseball. I get that she loves the team, but she openly admits to not being a good friend to Mia {who might be the best part of the entire story.} Sawyer is respectful and sweet, but I
Mari Johnston
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A BOOK TO BE THIS PERFECT?!

This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

I’m going to try really hard to hold my composure throughout this review when really all I want to do is type in all caps and scream yell talk very loudly and passionately how much I loved this book….

Y’all, I’ve been waiting for this book since reading Whatever Life Throws at You by Julie Cross five years ago. There’s just something about baseball romances that get my heart
Caryn {iam.caryn}
As a girl who loves contemporary novels, baseball, and YA... this was the perfect book for me.

I absolutely love it when books make me happy, and this one left me with a big goofy grin the entire time I was reading it. Whenever I wasn’t reading it, I couldn’t stop thinking about how much I wish I could have been reading it. I was hooked immediately and I completely fell in love with the story.

It was such a sweet story about fighting for what you want, friendships, relationship jitters, and
nick
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

A couple of my blogging friends loved Stealing Home, and I had previously enjoyed Becky Wallace's fantasy duology, so I thought this book would be a perfect fit for me. It also is a sports romance and everyone knows that even though I am the least sporty person you'll probably ever meet, I devour any book with sports at the center. Stealing Home was exactly what I was hoping it would be: a cozy, fun, and fluffy read with a lot of depth to it!

Wallace has written an exceptional cast in this book.
Jessica Lawson
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ADORED everything about this book! It was paced perfectly, the characters were awesome, and I found myself racing to the end, only to want to start the whole thing over. The main character, Ryan, is a force to be reckoned with in the world of sports marketing/management~ she is a hardworking, intelligent role model of a young woman who knows exactly what she wants for her future career, but at the same time, she's such an authentic teenager who's grappling with uncertainty on multiple fronts. ...more
Kelly (Wild and Wonderful Reads)
Full review at wildandwonderfulreads.com

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Becky Wallace absolutely knocked this one out of the park (pun intended)! Stealing Home is a cute, fun YA Contemporary and such a great summer read.

I really enjoyed Becky’s writing; it’s smooth and captivating! The story is told in the first person POV of our leading lady, Ryan. And it’s so much more than just a baseball romance (although I was ALL ABOUT the baseball element and the romance) — this is a story about having a dream
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Saving Home sounded like it was going to be the perfect YA summer read. Unfortunately, this one didn't quite work for me.

There's a decent balance between the romance and the other plot, although both don't really go anywhere for the majority of the book. Then everything happened all at once in the last 10-15 pages. And there wasn't really an adequate build-up to support how either plot ended. Plus, I'm not that familiar with baseball so I was sometimes a bit lost.

Ryan was an interesting
Sara Larson
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute, fun read! The perfect summer escape. I loved all the characters so much - especially Sawyer Campbell!
Kat
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
* Thank you Manda Group for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

This story followed Ryan Russell, who's divorced parents own the minor league baseball team, the Buckley Beavers. Her goal is to one day become one of the only female General Managers in the sport. Their first round pick, Sawyer Campbell, is more charming than he appears, she is thrown a major curve ball. As challenges threaten the teams ownership, and its existence, Ryan is concerned that her team, her heart, and
Jen
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet, swoony, and loads of fun, Stealing Home makes for the perfect summer read! This was my first book by Becky Wallace, but it won't be my last.

What I Liked: The writing, the characters, the friendships, and especially the romance. Ryan and Sawyer are the kind of characters you want to root for, even if, like me, baseball is not your jam. Theirs is a slow-burn, but believable romance, that kicks off with a hilariously gross Meet Cute. I also enjoyed Mia and Ryan's friendship. It was nice to
Nicole Bennett
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was the perfect blend of swoony romance, friendship, family relations, and of course sports. I appreciated the realness of the baseball elements of the plot. Sometimes sports storylines can seem cheesy but it was very clear that Becky Wallace had personal experience in the field (no pun intended) and in the industry. As a big fan of both baseball and YA contemporary stories, this book was a home run for me. I also would recommend it for slightly younger YA readers, which is ...more
Novel Novice
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stealing Home by Becky Wallace has stolen my heart. I loved this YA baseball romance that is the PERFECT summer read.

I’ve never been the sporty type. I’ve never liked playing sports, and I don’t generally like watching sports. But one of the few games I enjoy seeing in person is baseball — and I’ve definitely always been a sucker for baseball stories. (Give me a baseball movie any day, and I will be a happy camper. If you build it, I will come.) So naturally, I was excited when this
Jordan (The Heart of a Book Blogger)
This review and more can be found at The Heart of a Book Blogger.

I’m a sucker for sports romances, especially when the focus is on baseball, so I had been looking forward to Stealing Home all year. And guess what? It did not disappoint. I loved Ryan and her passion for her family’s business and how hard she works to achieve her dream of managing the minor league team herself one day. I loved sweet Sawyer and the chemistry he has with Ryan. I loved Ryan’s best friend, her relationship with her
Samantha Hastings
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a homerun for me! Ryan is a feisty heroine who knows what she wants and works for it. She’s determined to be the youngest general manager of a minor league team.

She’s by the book until baseball star Sawyer Campbell shows up. Despite a rocky start (he throws up on her), they have great chemistry. But both can’t afford distraction if they are to save their dreams and their family’s businesses.

I loved watching the plot as it played out before me and the finish was as exciting as any
Amanda
I probably would’ve liked this a bit more if I didn’t find baseball one of the most boring sports on the planet. The inner workings of a minor league team were interesting, and it takes place during the summer so there’s no school. But it did seem like a lot of work for a 17 year old, and I found myself agreeing with people in the book who told Ryan she needed to just enjoy being a teenager sometimes. The romance is cute, but it took a back seat at times.
Kellie
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Baseball + Smart Ambitious Girl + Charming Southern Athlete = a perfect fun summer read, and he next Netflix romcom. I found myself pulling hard for Ryan and Sawyer as they deal with family struggles and both wondering what their futures will look like. Well done.
Lindsey
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
That was really sweet and I love baseball and the ending made me cry.
Afoma Umesi
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an electronic ARC of Stealing Home from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Stealing Home is a cute young adult romance with a touch of baseball, a sweet female friendship, and entertaining family drama. This novel is a perfect beach read and a great pick for anyone who loves an enterprising young heroine.

Read my full review here.
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

A cute little feel-good romance with a sweet hero and inoffensive heroine. There was also a great friendship between the heroine and her best friend. Very low-angst - even less angst than Catching Jordan - so perfect for anyone who wants some YA fluff.

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

• Match Me If You Can
  • Call It What You Want
  • You'd Be Mine
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
In second grade, Becky Wallace had to sit in the corner because she refused to write anything besides princess stories and fairy tales (and because she talked too much). Her time in isolation gave her plenty of opportunities to dream up the fantasy worlds she's been dabbling with ever since. She was lucky enough to find her own, real-life prince charming. They have four munchkins and live in a ...more