Start by marking “Screen Queens” as Want to Read:
Screen Queens

Screen Queens

The Bold Type meets The Social Network when three girls vying for prestigious summer internships through a startup incubator program uncover the truth about what it means to succeed in the male-dominated world of tech.

This summer Silicon Valley is a girls' club.

Three thousand applicants. An acceptance rate of two percent. A dream internship for the winning team.
Published June 11th 2019 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Screen Queens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screen Queens

Start your review of Screen Queens
Larry H
3.5 stars.

So just to clear up any confusion if you're the type of person who occasionally picks up a book without reading what it's about and simply assumes what it will be about based on the title, Lori Goldstein's new novel, Screen Queens , isn't about a bunch of actresses. (Hangs head sheepishly.)

Lucy Katz, Maddie Li, and Delia Meyer are three of only four young women accepted into ValleyStart, one of the most exclusive high school technology incubator competitions in the country. Only two
Amanda
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

This book was one that I picked up on complete impulse. I heard about the blog tour and signed up thinking that I may get the opportunity to read it, and lucky that I did, because this book was exactly what I needed. I don’t read a lot of contemporaries, but I really should because I almost always wind up enjoying them way more than anticipated. Screen Queens is such an important read for young adults and especially young
Greyson | Use Your Words
you had me at The Bold Type!!!!!
The Nerd Daily
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

I love stories about the empowerment of women, especially in the tech world. Screen Queens will make readers quake with outrage at the injustice that women face everyday in the industry, and then turn that stereotype into fodder for change through three young women who’ve had enough. I laughed, I raged, and I ultimately loved this story. We get to see relationships challenged and change for the better, or at times, worse. More
Adah Udechukwu
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Screen Queens is an exciting and refreshing read.
Emily (emilykatereads)
4.5/5 Stars

Being a girl in a male-dominated field isn't easy. Screen Queens shows us just that, but also how girls can thrive, persevere, and kick ass in tech.

This book is the perfect summer read: it's fun, quick, but also empowering. And it'll make you feel all the things.

We get Lucy, Maddie, and Delia, three girls who couldn't be more different, who are paired together as a team at their tech incubator program. Only a small percent of applicants get into this prestigious competition, and
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, physical-2019

I had an idea of where this book was headed early on but still reading it shocked me. It pissed me off but in a good way (it'll make sense once you read the book!). If you don't walk away feeling empowered, you might be broken.

FRTC
JANELLE || WHATSHESEEES
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Huge thanks to BookSparks for sending me a free copy of Screen Queens along with some bookish swag for having me as an event Ambassador tomorrow (June 12th) @7pm at Porter Square Books in Cambridge, Ma - I'm super excited to be a part of it and meet the author along with two fellow Bookstagrammers who I'm meeting and doing the event with!!

This book was a super fast read for me and took me about 2/3 days to finish.
I also read this book as a buddy read with the other BookSharks that will be
Jenn
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
God, this book made me SO ANGRY but in the best way. I'm not even in tech, but reading this book still felt cathartic. I wish I'd had the opportunity to read it as a teen, back before I could relate to so very much of it. Screen Queens touches on so many issues of feminism without getting didactic and above and beyond all that, it's just a blast to read. Loved it.
Jen Malone
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just want to shove this in the hands of every girl (and woman) I know! It's incredibly smart, incredibly timely and incredibly inspiring. I LOVED IT!!!!!
The Clever Reader
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full 4.5 Star review is up on the blog!

Melanie  Brinkman
This summer, Silicon Valley is a girls' club.

It's competition time! Wading through a sea of three thousand applicants and a 2% acceptance rate, three girls are here to make a name for themselves. Lucy, Maddie, and Delia are ready to jump start their careers by winning an internship from a startup tech incubator. However, their personalities clash at Valley Start, the most prestigious tech competition in the country. Working together isn't going to be easy, but the trio soon finds they have much
Zev
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Two and a half stars. I liked the book's cover right away. I kept closing the book to admire it when I was trying to decide whether I should keep reading it. Sometimes, the cartoon-style covers are simplistic and yet communicate a lot in the way of small details, as did this one. I misunderstood what this book was about when I placed it on hold, but decided to give it a shot anyway when it came in at the library. It still kind of felt like false advertising. This is a story about three girls who ...more
Michelle (Love, Stars and Books)
(I received a free eARC from Netgalley and Fantastic flying book club for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own)

Book review: Screen Queens by Lori Goldstein (3 stars)

Screen Queens by Lori Goldstein
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Rating: 3/5 stars

(Review)
(DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

(Synopsis from Goodreads)

The Bold TypemeetsThe Social Networkwhen three girls vying for prestigious summer internships through a startup incubator program uncover
Lauren R.
So good, so much girl power. I feel like it took me a little while to get into this for some reason, and warm up to everything/everyone. However, once it got rolling, I was hooked. It's the kind of book that makes you mad at how the world is but allows for the right celebration and hope for change at the end. Highly recommend, especially to girls who work in male-dominated fields.
Forever Young Adult
Talky Talk: 2 Fast, 2 Furious
Bonus Factor: Girls in Tech
Factor: Black Mirror
Relationship Status: Swipe Left

Read the full book report here.
Delaney Morgan
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK. I loved this book so much. The plot, was honestly so interesting. I was super invested in how their app was doing. Was it going to work? Were they going to get it done in time? And the process that they went through of developing the app was really interesting. I adored the friendship between the three girls; especially the fact that they didn't start out friends. They are all very different people, but over time, as they met adversity together, and began to collaborate together, they ...more
Chandler Baker
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sassy and fun. I was lucky enough to read an early copy and this book made me cheer for sisterhood. The future is definitely female!
Reg Mars
So I'm not sure what really made me decide to do the blog tour for this book. I think part of it was the cover, I do enjoy friend group books. I also think the title drew me in as well. Also the topic of girls in the tech industry is not something I really see in books so I wanted to dive more into that. I do have to say I ended up enjoying this book more than I thought I would.

So the story is about three girls, Lucy, Maddie, and Delia. They are the first ever all female team that could win this
Surbhi Das
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, 2019-arcs
3.5 Stars!

Silicon Valley. A place of myth and legend and dreams that became reality- not through wands and fairy dust but through innovation and iteration.

Screen Queens is a book which, deals with the disparity that exists between the male and female gender in the tech industry. Following the story of three young woman this book does a fantastic job in portraying the various circumstances and predicaments that women have to face in the tech industry or I suppose any industry that is male
kate
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Can I repeat it any more times: I'm a sucker for books with female empowerment and feminist themes. Add in a cool concept - in this case, a five-week tech competition, and I couldn't not enjoy this. The character development throughout, and for all three main girls, was realistic and also satisfying, and in the same way, their development helped to explain the traits they harboured at the beginning of the book. I loved the slow-ish burn way in which the girls began trusting each other, and how ...more
Mari Johnston
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: underage drinking, attempted assault, panic attacks

I’m really finding myself to be the black sheep on a ton of popular releases this year and I hate it. I was expecting so much empowerment from Lori Goldstein’s Screen Queens and it was there….in the last 20 percent of the book.

Girls have so many stereotypes thrust upon them. I guess I just wish we could start having books where the characters don’t have
Yvonne Olson
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much more than I expected to. There was so much girl power, STEM, and women in the workplace representation that there wasn't a way to not like this.

The friendship that forms between the three protagonists is one that should be glorified and inspire it's readers to find friendships like it. Lucy, Maddie, and Delia hype each other up, inspire each other, and push them out of their comfort zones to better themselves. Even when they get in some sticky situations, they have
K Whatsherface
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is what I needed. A fun novel. There are real issues in this book but it fun read. I like that not everything was so black and white and there was a smart guy allie in this. Hes a side characters and not one of the authority figures but yeah. To often stuff like this become more about ripping men down rather then bring women up. Yes it's can be a fight to break into those boys clubs and yes there are a lot of jerks. But dont give up. This isnt what I thought it'd be. But I enjoyed it.
Christy  Laub
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating look at how three young women take on the boys club of Silicon Valley. Had I had more books like this when I was younger, I may have been encouraged to be more bold in my life choices - hopefully it will encourage today's youth to do just that.
Kaitlyn
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-ya
Started this book thinking “cool, cute friendship story in Silicon Valley” then about halfway through, things turned to “OH S*** TIME 2 DESTROY THE PATRIARCHY” and I am living for it. Hope this book finds its way to all the girls who need it.
Kat
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
* Thank you to Penguin Teen Canada for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.25/5 stars

Wow, this one really surprised me. Sure, I expected some girl drama, some rivalry, and some romance, but Screen Queens went further to share the challenges of females in STEM industries. It's a topic that is not highlighted in novels very much, but totally should be. The underlying serious of certain parts were bold and written well.

The characters were unique, each with their own
Christine Gleason
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When your college bestie writes a book you read it. When it is as good as it was, you stay up until 4:00AM to finish it because you have to find out what happens. I really enjoyed this one and am so sad I finished it. I love it is about strong girls in the tech world that stand up for what they believe in. Fantastic book!
Ariel
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book Screen Queens by Lori Goldstein was overall a really good book. I may have a little bit of a bias because it was written for teen girls, but still, it really well is written where I truly felt like I was a part of the book and felt the character’s feelings. It is about a group of three girls that came from very different backgrounds and they all get accepted into this STEM summer program. They have to leave their worlds for a bit to work for their future and they face many challenges. ...more
Elizabeth
I LOVE the Bold Type so when Screen Queens was pitched as something similar to my fav contemporary tv show, well, excited is an understatement. But while the Bold Type is fresh, innovative and mature, Screen Queens is just, lacking.

Screen Queens has lots of potential, but if fell flat in some major storytelling premises. Mainly, the basic believability test.

First, the idea of the Pulse app just never felt real to me. I can't imagine a innovator as entirely self-centered as Ryan freaking
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Start Here
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Bright Burning Stars
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Past Perfect Life
  • Virtually Yours
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Rules We're Meant to Break
Author of SOURCES SAY (September 8, 2020, Penguin/Razorbill) SCREEN QUEENS (out now, Penguin/Razorbill) and available for purchase (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and IndieBound) about three teen girls who attend a startup incubator in Silicon Valley and learn what it means to compete in the male-dominated world of tech.

My Young Adult Contemporary Fantasy series Becoming Jinn and Circle of Jinn is a