Start by marking “The Thank You Letter” as Want to Read:
The Thank You Letter

The Thank You Letter

Encourage young readers to express their gratitude with this sweet story of a girl's thank you letters. . . . and her town's overwhelming response.

After her wonderful birthday party, Grace sits down to write thank-you letters to friends and family for all their lovely gifts. But why stop there? She writes to thank Mr. Jones for teaching her to read and write. She thanks
Published October 29th 2019 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Thank You Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thank You Letter

The Thank You Dish by Trace BallaThe Thank You Letter by Jane CabreraJust So Thankful by Mercer MayerThe Berenstain Bears' Please & Thank You Book by Mike BerenstainBefore I Sleep I Say Thank You by Carol Gordon Ekster
Being Thankful
100 books — 2 voters
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffThe Purloined Letter by Edgar Allan PoeThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerBirthday Letters by Ted Hughes
Letters
207 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Thank You Letter
Mary
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Book! My grandson loved it! He is reading by himself and reading above his 1st Grade reading
level. He was very surprised that he read the whole book without any help from anyone.

After he read the book, he wrote his Mom a Thank You Letter:

Dear Mom:

I Love you and Thank you for being my Mom.

Love,

Chris

That was worth all the money I donated to First Book!
KC
A young girl discovers the wonderful feeling of thanking her friends, family, and neighbors through letter writing.
Erin Buhr
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
In our age of text messages and quick emails, physical thank you notes seem to be dying off. I'm still that mom that makes my kids hand write a stack of thank you notes after each birthday party. (They love me for it...or at least I hope they will one day.) Next time, I will read them this book first. Sweet Grace writes thank yous after her party but she doesn't stop there. Soon everyone and even some inanimate things have been thanked and that thankfulness comes full circle. It's an ode to ...more
Leslie
The aptly named Grace sits down after her birthday party to write thank you notes for her gifts. She continues on to write letters for her family and community members. Note writing proves not only infectious for Grace, but for the recipients of her letters. There is a lovely surprise awaiting Grace at the end.

We all will appreciate the message of gratitude here, but I’m grateful for Cabrera’s sense of humor and her ability to avoid anything cloying. Cabrera will inspire because Grace translates
Cindy Dobrez
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love writing thank you notes and I appreciate receiving them. The young girl in this story just can't get enough of writing them and comes up with some unique notes. My favorite is the one for the sky to thank it for being so blue today! She pins it to a tree as high as she can reach. In the spirit of Random Acts of Kindness, her efforts come back to her. She is not the only grateful one in the book. I liked the cheerful artwork, too.
Nicole
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book about showing gratitude and kindness towards others.
As a child and even now as an adult, I love getting mail and writing letters to pen pals! I have a couple of little patrons that come into the library that like to write/draw letters to friends, family, and yes, their librarian. I know my homeschooling families will like this as well.
The Thank You Letter will hopefully give readers a push to practice writing, show kindness, and be creative!
Samantha Brown
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an adorable book about how it’s important to thank people for things and also about writing letters. This little girl Grace writes a bunch of thank you cards after her birthday and then begins thanking many people around town with her letters. She even thanks her cat and dog. This makes her realize how good she feels to thank people and write them letters. Love love this story !
Juliana Lee
Grace had a long list of wishes for her birthday, and they all came true. So Grace spent the next few days writing thank-you notes to everyone who had given her a gift. Then she wrote thank-you notes to her friends, teachers, store clerks, and even strangers. Pretty soon, Grace received a lot of love notes from everyone she had thanked!
Leslie Marley
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
So wonderful! Encouraging this type of writing so a great idea. It would be great as a read-a-loud to a storytime group on thankfullness or good manners, and the project at the end could be writing their own thank you note, k-2 perhaps.
Rosemary Retford
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grace writes thank you letters after her birthday party and then continues to write thank you letters to everyone for anything and everything. Letters are illustrated as if she wrote them. Story time, letters, thank you, appreciation, kindness
Courtenay
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple way to explore gratitudes with kids. An old art that is dying with texts and emails but one I taught my now-15-year-old daughter before it goes by the wayside. A necessary book for today's younger generation without any preaching.
Lisa
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! The thank you notes written by Grace are appropriately child-like, and the value of sending them is clear but the book never feels preachy or heavy-handed. The cheerful illustrations portray a diverse group of people (and animals!), and add to the text.
Rose
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this one, I loved Grace's earnest thank you notes, and the fun she had in writing them. I loved the surprise at the end, with a tent full of love letters. It made my heart swell. The illustrations were a joy.
Jeani
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Adorable! Grabbed it from the library thinking it would be nice for Thanksgiving, but this is an ANYTIME, ANYWHERE kind of book! Shares with children the joy and unexpected treasures that come from having an attitude of gratitude all year long.
Ruth Ann
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Everyone likes to receive a sincere and sweet thank you note. Grace is a master at writing these notes.
When she doesn't stop writing the notes after her birthday party, practically everyone in the whole town has received one. And, they send their own notes to Grace. :)
Emily Carlyn
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the simple sweetness of books by Jane Cabrera, and this is no exception. This is a wonderful book to read during the holiday season as well, really any time of year! Thank yous are always good ideas to write.
Raven Black
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story about what one little girl does after receiving some lovely gifts. But she also takes it one step farther and shows all the things she is thankful for. Then, she gets another lovely gift in return.
Karen
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
We need more books like this. Thank you Jane Cabrera!!
Patti
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic story to share when teaching about letter writing, saying thank you, building empathy. Recommended for pre-K-2nd grade
Hope
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect. Will end up buying
Lynn
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice introduction to something that seems to be a dying art ;-)
Margaux
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Quaint story about writing Thank You notes.
Anne Lutomia
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grace writes thank you letters to her family members and community and they respond to her graciously. An instructive book for writing thank you notes.
Miss Sarah
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A super cute book with great illustartions about a girl writing thank you notes for her birthday gifts and continuing onto thank people for many other things. Sweet ending. Preschool and up
RWaggoner
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute book with a sweet message about saying thank you and sharing love through written messages.
Lynda
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute book with sweet, bright illustrations that inspired my 6yo to write letters to her friends & family.
Kathryn
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Cute sweet story with a good message
Kelly
Nov 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: writing, 2019
Great examples of letters to show kids.
Linda
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book and well illustrated with drawings of the thank you notes. Good way to teach kids to do them and that good responses follow them. All very adorable.
Karol
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Thank You letter shows one's appreciation and warms the heart.

• Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • The Space Walk
  • Saturday
  • This Is Not That Kind of Book
  • Are Your Stars Like My Stars?
  • Just Because
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Home in the Woods
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Sulwe
Jane Cabrera is best known as an Author and Illustrator of Children's Books.
She has written and illustrated 56 books which have been translated into over 25 languages and won awards in the US and Europe. She lives on the edge of beautiful Dartmoor National Park in the UK.
Her books range from picture story books to concept board books for babies.