Start by marking “Blood Relations” as Want to Read:
Blood Relations

Blood Relations

"Taut, smart and electrifying." —Liv Constantine

A new thriller from a writer who’s been compared to Michael Crichton, Alfred Hitchcock, Raymond Chandler, Blake Crouch, and David Cronenberg takes us to the most menacing core of California’s upper crust, a class of billionaires with more money than they could spend in an eternity.

Who is Claire Gravesend?

So wonders PI Lee
Published June 18th 2019 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Relations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Relations

Kemper
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Floating this one since the book is now available.**

I received a free advance copy from the publisher for review.

Lee Crowe is the kind of private investigator who isn’t above taking a shady job from a defense attorney as part of an effort to intimidate a federal witness. While working on that project he comes across the body of a wealthy young Claire Gravesend who fell from a roof and smashed into a Rolls Royce.

Damn, but the rich even get to die in luxury.

Claire had been acting oddly before dr
OutlawPoet
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this.

It's a formulaic and dull mystery. I didn't care for any of the characters, I didn't find the mystery that mysterious, and really didn't care about our victim at all.

I found myself reading chapters and realizing that I was retaining none of it - I simply couldn't enjoy the style.

So, may be better for you, but definitely not for me!
David Putnam
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a great deal. Moore is one of my new favorite writers. He has great writing craft, voice and character development. I loved his first two books The Poison Artist and The Dark room. The third book, Night Market was great as well just not on the same and straddled genres. Some of the scenes from Night Market have stayed with me which is a sign Moore did his job. Night Market is a near future story where he created a believable setting with wonderful images.
Blood Relations is cur
Aina
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I'm a fan of the author and as per his previous books, I expected the usual brand of crime noir with a complicated protagonist and suggestions of dark technology. Blood Relations delivers on that front!

I felt immersed in the setting. There's a gritty darkness where everything has its place, and every move has a purpose. There is plenty of action and while Crowe's abilities to bounce back from his injuries may seem a little preposterous, I found myself rooting for him. Despite his moral greyness
Josie Jaffrey
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings about this book. Usually, I give three-star ratings to books that are just okay, or a bit meh. Unusually, this book gets a three-star rating because there were some things about it that I really loved, and some things I really hated.

It didn’t start well for me. Any crime novel in which the protagonist describes a girl’s corpse as beautiful in the first chapter is just a bit, well, creepy. I can do without it, but this is noir, so I suppose it fits the genre. The proble
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
I became totally and permanently hooked on Jonathan Moore’s novels after reading THE POISON ARTIST, THE DARK ROOM and THE NIGHT MARKET, which together presented a tightly written and loosely connected triptych of San Francisco. His newly published BLOOD RELATIONS, which has been eagerly anticipated by anyone who 1) has read any of his prior books and 2) has a pulse, is the equal of any and all of its predecessors, with a true and pitch-perfect mystery at its core and a solution that blurs but do ...more
Janet
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new thriller from a writer who’s been compared to Michael Crichton, Alfred Hitchcock, Raymond Chandler, Blake Crouch, and David Cronenberg takes us to the most menacing core of California’s upper crust, a class of billionaires with more money than they could spend in eternity.

Who is Claire
BOOKLOVER10
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Leland Crowe is a disbarred lawyer who makes a living as a private investigator in California. He has a reputation for getting things done, often using methods are that are unorthodox and/or illegal (among them are bribery and electronic surveillance of private citizens). Jonathan Moore, in "Blood Relations," depicts Leland as a man without a clear sense of right and wrong. For example, a defense attorney named Jim Gardner hires Crowe to undermine the prosecution's case against the leader of an ...more
Michael J.
There are a ton of reviews here and elsewhere for this novel. It seems to be either "love it" or "hate it" with numerous four and five-star reviews plus many two-star or less rejections, and very few calling it average with three-stars. Most of the unsatisfied reviewers call it formulaic and I can understand that - - but what detective and/or crime novel isn't formulaic to a certain degree?
I think part of the problem may be the promotional hype that compares BLOOD RELATIONS and the writing of
Mackey
Lee Crowe is a dis-barred lawyer, now a PI who has a reputation of getting the job done - regardless. Even he doesn't realize what that will mean when he finds a body of a beautiful woman, dead, on the roof of a Rolls Royce in the middle of the ghetto. Wait, can we still use the word ghetto? Well, you know.... Being the type of guy that Lee is, he snaps some great photos of the woman and sells them to the highest bidding magazine. That sets him a course that will take him from coast to coast wit ...more
Kate Ayers
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Really, almost four stars. The concept is nothing like any I've ever read, so that's a huge plus. The story takes place in and around the Bay Area and points north & south, which is so picturesque it's fun to envision. And the main character, Lee Crowe, a sort of detective with loose scruples, is unique yet someone I think I'd like as a friend. He has ethics, but doesn't put up with crap. His main employer usually gives him the jobs that might need someone who doesn't exactly wo ...more
Alix
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
You know those thrillers you pick up at the airport before your flight? This book was just that for me. I hate to say it, but I made it a DNF.

Maybe it's because I REALLY want to get to some other anticipated books- but I only got about 75% through. I want to finish it when I get through the other reads though.

It's about an ex-lawyer turned P.I. in California. You follow him while he works out how to solve the death of a young heiress who supposedly committed suicide. He runs into drug cartels,
Helle Brown
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am new to this author but this will definitely not be the last time I read any of his books. Blood Relations is a past paced book about a private detective (disbarred attorney) who is hired to look into the apparent suicide of a beautiful rich young woman.
The story takes us through California and Boston leaving a trail of bodies in its wake all for the sake of eternal life.
I loved the main characters Lee Cowen as the PI and Olivia Gravesend as the 5th richest woman who is the mother of Cla
Regan
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
More a 3-1/2. Interesting read. The beginning was slow and a bit hard to follow. I wasn't sure where he was going with it and as a red herring it wasn't one of the best. Once the story focused on Claire and what was going on it was a pretty decent read. I stayed up later than I should have reading because the action was too good to stop. I was initially drawn to the book because it mainly takes place in and around San Francisco and Crowe travels to some places I love to go myself like Mendocino. ...more
Danelle The Librarian
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blood Relations by Jonathan Moore is really more of a 3.75 book, but Goodreads doesn't offer that. I liked the writing style of Moore- it felt like an old school crime/detective novel. Kind of moody and dark. The story kept me guessing for a long time- why does she have the marks on her? How is there someone out there with the same marks who looks just like her? As with many thriller type novels, the ending was a bit implausible. But still, the concepts put forth in the book were different from ...more
Daniel
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Takes so many cues from the "noir" tradition that I was startled every time a character used a smartphone instead of a payphone or a computer instead of a micro fiche.

Old school characters and attitudes (for better and worse) involved in a near-future crime in a present day setting. The only thing keeping this from being a 5 star for me is that the "noir" elements are followed so exactly that it can feel a bit cliche at times (hardbitten, divorced, down on his luck, buried moral streak, hard dr
Victoria
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Thanks Edelweiss for sharing the ARC of this title with me. I have had this for a long time but finally picked it up, and then rarely did I put it down until it was finished. Very interesting premise, a noir-ish detective story but with an unexpected twist. Recommended for those who enjoy detective works.
Elzane
Jun 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a total disappointment

Anticipating this book for months and after reading it, I even double checked that it was indeed by Jonathan Moore! That is how disappointing it was - shallow, formulaic and a total waste of time.
Jackie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! I think it got me out of my book slump too :)
Al Stoess
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jonathan Moore fans.
Ivan
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much easier to read than some of his previous books.
Roger Rosenberg
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book delivers on its promise; an old fashioned hard-boiled detective story set in a modern San Francisco with a twist that could be out of today’s news.
Dana Jennings
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is my first mystery by this author and I will definitely read more. I love the noir sensibility and this novel delivers on that front.
Jonathan Moore is a Bram Stoker Award nominated author of six novels. His third novel, THE POISON ARTIST, was a selection of the BBC Radio 2 Book Club. His novels have been translated into ten languages.

His most recent novel is THE NIGHT MARKET, which will be followed by BLOOD RELATIONS on June 18, 2019.

Before graduating from law school in New Orleans, he lived in Taiwan for three years, guided wh