Start by marking “Some Days” as Want to Read:
Some Days

Some Days

“Some days are chocolate pudding pie days.
Kites up in the sky days.
Jumping super high days.”

This rhyming picture book—from the author of the bestselling I Wanna Iguana series and Miles of Smiles—is a moving, powerful, delightful exploration of a child’s shifting feelings.
 Come along and follow a year in the life of a young boy and girl as they discover
Published March 5th 2019 by Sterling Children's Books (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Some Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Days

Start your review of Some Days
Janet Squires
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some Days by Karen Kaufman Orloff with illustrations by Ziyue Chen explores the varied feelings that young children experience. The text is shaped around a year in the life of a boy and girl as they deal with “Kites up in the sky days.” and “Need my mommy now days.” The rhyming text examines a multitude of emotions – joy, excitement, contentment, disappointment, anger, and sadness, through everyday experiences –
“Take a little doze days.”
“Hurt myself somehow days.”
“Drippy nose and sneeze days.
Lilith Day
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a very simple book. In a few words per page, this book goes through random situations that children go through. A few example are eating cake, playing dress up, and getting dirty days. In addition some of these days have feelings attached to them.

While this book is very simple, it has a lot to offer children. First of all, since the pace is fast, this is a great book to keep younger children engaged and focused on reading. Another part I love is how feelings are through the book. J
Jana
Young children experience a wide rage of feelings and emotions and it isn't always easy to understand or respond to them in an appropriate way. This lovely picture book uses cozy illustrations in a warm palette of colors and lyrical, rhyming text to share with young readers all the different ways a person can feel during the course of a year. I like that most of the days are filled with positive, emotional experiences such as eating chocolate pudding pie, swimming at Grandpa's, and flying kites. ...more
Lisa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
What kind of day it? Two children experience a range of emotions through their actions. Happy days are “pie days, kites up in the sky days and jumping super high days” a stressful day includes mommy making a fuss and running for the bus; feeling sick, feeling mad, excited, bored - so many emotions!

The actual emotions are not stated, reading this book with a child lets them decide - the facial expressions, the activities, the poetry all combine. The reader gets to choose. I love that you can tal
Ashley
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great rhyme and metre! Could be used as a more solemn storytime pick, but would be best as an at-home read to start talking about emotions and how days can be good and bad. Could be a great book to keep at home to open up a conversation about the day--what was good and what was bad. Then it could be drawn on in the moment later to name when something is good and bad as it happens. A lovely contribution to the growing field of stories advancing children's emotional literacy.

Recommended for ages 3
Diane
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“But MOST days are ... Ready? One, two, three days! Lots to do and see days. Learning to be me days.”

Childhood is filled with ups and downs. Days that are gloriously fun and days that are boring. Days that are filled with friends and days that are lonely. Days that go beyond all your expectations and days that are filled with disappointments.

This book would be great to help kids understand that life is all about how we approach our days and handle our disappointments. Life happens and we must de
N.
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A rhyming book that will make a good prompt for discussion with little ones as it shows that some days you have fun swimming, jumping, getting a puppy, etc., but other days you can feel lonely, scrape a knee, get in trouble, or have to do chores you may or may not like. A good one especially for pulling out on a bad day or just a rainy day to remind children that both good and bad things happen.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute book that's like a montage of nostalgic childhood experiences and emotions throughout the seasons (starting with summer). Sand between your toes, making cookies, waiting in the store, washing the dog, etc. I liked the modern illustration style. Though other seasons were explored, I felt like there was enough summer imagery that this book still felt pretty summery, overall. ...more
Michael
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the art and the writing. But I can't recommend this book because of its one-dimensional portrayal of Dad as just someone who gets mad at the kids for playing, to whom they have to go apologize.

No thanks.
Morgan
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A warm, sweet, and rhythmic reminder for kids and grown-ups alike to take life one good/bad/boring/silly day at a time.
Joan Arbogast
A fun list of all sorts of possible days from "chocolate pudding days" to "take a little doze days."
Large scale, colorful, inclusive artwork is great for story time groups of preschoolers.
Kimberly
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Lots of feelings for kids. Lots of cute pictures, too.
Marie-Therese
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is lyrically written and a joy to read. Some Days will help children understand and embrace all of their emotions.
Danielle Robertson
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
A very sweet exploration of children's (very valid) feelings. The illustrations are adorable! ...more
J.L. Slipak
MY THOUGHTS

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

This is the author’s eleventh book. Her website is at karenkaufmanorloff.com

What a great book about emotions and learning to be yourself. Each day is different and each child experiences each differently. This book also shows that everyone feels one way or another every day and it’s okay.

The illustrations are adorable and cleanly executed. I love the expressions on the faces the illustrator successfully drew and nailed each page’s
Ita

• Because
  • Queen of the Sea
  • Fatima's Great Outdoors
  • Home is in Between
Karen Kaufman Orloff is the author of many books for children including I Wanna Iguana, I Wanna New Room, and I Wanna Go Home, all inspired by her son’s pet iguana who quickly grew to be over four feet long and take over his room. She also writes a humorous column on family life every other week for The Poughkeepsie Journal.