Start by marking “Trans Forming Families: Real Stories about Transgendered Loved Ones” as Want to Read:
Trans Forming Families: Real Stories about Transgendered Loved Ones

Trans Forming Families: Real Stories about Transgendered Loved Ones

A collection of positive short stories by parents, families, and friends of transgender people who have come to accept and embrace their transgender loved ones. It includes stories of male to female and female to male transgender sons and daughters of loving parents, siblings, grandparents, and friends who have helped them on their journey. These are invaluable stories int

Published November 1st 2003 by Oak Knoll Press (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Trans Forming Families, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trans Forming Families

Start your review of Trans Forming Families: Real Stories about Transgendered Loved Ones
Jackson
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: loved ones of trans folks
Shelves: queer, nonfiction
It's the kind of book a trans person would recommend to a family member who is feeling isolated and alone concerning coming to terms with having a trans loved one and also all the awkward day to day stuff it can involve.

What I like about the book:

It is a collection of essays by people who have all different types of relationships with trans folks. Parents, children, siblings, spouses, etc. I also think I remember there being both parents of adult children and parents of young children who had/>What
Alyx Jane
Apr 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: families and friends of transgendered folk
Shelves: genderrelated
Trans Forming Families is an anthology in which the friends and family members of transgendered people tell the stories of their reactions to loved ones' gender transitions. By the time I read this it was preaching to the converted, but the book could be a good learning tool to give to someone -- like a parent or friend -- who's just learning about the trans experience.

The book ably demonstrates that transfolk are not freaks but people with the same hopes, dreams and feelings as everyone else.
Gwen
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gender-issues
This is a collection of letters and stories submitted by transgender people and their families. It shows that people come in all "flavors" of gender. This book may be helpful for someone struggling to understand a transgender family member. The writing styles are highly variable and have only been marginally edited.
Lisa
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although I felt like I didn't "need" this book, since I already fully accepted and supported my family member's transition, I enjoyed the entire book little by little. I read one story at a time, and savored each person's experience - some of them I related to, some I didn't, but each was special and personal and moving.
Konnor Niswonger
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Decent collection of stories detailing those who have some type of family relationship with a trans person. Some stories were better than others, and overall it seemed to lack a finished/professional quality. But a decent read regardless.
Amos
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Include this book with your "guess what mom, I'm a tranny" coming out letter and fedex it to your family immediately. It works wonders. The only negative thing is the fact that the bright orange cover + hideous drawing on front is hard to stomach.
Pam
Dec 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: gender, queer, essays
Not terribly professionally done, and varied in style and interest, as it's by lots of people, but a necessary work, that does a pretty good job.
Sue
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
A number of short essays written by the family members of transgendered people. I didn't read them all, but I got the general idea.
Xiola Mills