Start by marking “An ABC of Equality” as Want to Read:
An ABC of Equality

An ABC of Equality

A is for Ability, B is for Belief, C is for Class. All people have the right to be treated fairly, no matter who they are, what they look like, or where they come from. An ABC of Equality introduces complicated concepts surrounding social justice to the youngest of children.

From A to Z, simple explanations accompanied by engaging artwork teach children about the world we
Board Book, 52 pages
Published September 3rd 2019 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about An ABC of Equality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An ABC of Equality

Start your review of An ABC of Equality
Karina
Mar 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
The extra 1/2 star is for the bright pretty pictures. I picked this up at the library because of the title and it's also supposed to be a toddler BOARD book. Reading through the alphabet I was confused. The target audience should be toddlers. A toddler would not be able to understand these long drawn out definitions. I felt it was geared toward 10+ or adults.

I wouldn't read this book to my littles. It is waaay over their heads.

L= LGBTQIA-- "It's okay to to be whoever you want." Does this not im
La Coccinelle
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sometimes the best intentions can go horribly awry. That's the case here, with An ABC of Equality. Intended for "the youngest of children", this is a confusing book that offers muddled definitions and paints an unrealistic vision of the world.

Starting early on, the book makes many demonstrably false statements such as:

People who identify as women have the same rights as people who identify as men.

It goes on to become even more confusing:

We're all human beings because of abilities like standing,
Julie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I discovered this vibrant board book on a book truck of new materials at the Library. I love the concept and the vivid colors. I was a bit non-plussed by the sophisticated explanations, which seemed aimed at a much higher reading level than the usual board book audience. Perhaps the intention is to read it as a family? To clarify: A simpler explanation is provided under each letter on the right hand page and the more in-depth explanation is on the left-hand page. I shared this book with my famil ...more
Etienne
Aug 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I like ABC book I think they are important. I also I'm fully about equality and people rights and all that. But trying to mixed them together is an easy expecting failure. ABC book are for kids to help remember the alphabet and maybe build some vocabulary while at it. Not sure that three sentences about immigration for the letter I, or again three sentences long for oppression for the O and so on... is well adapted to their targeted reader age... The letter are also poorly represented and the on ...more
Bandita
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was beautifully illustrated and it is very important for younger kids to know the terms related to equality and justice so that they can understand them at a very young age and grow up to be kind human beings.
Genevieve Trono
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this one. I love ABC books and books that share about the topic of equality are super important...but I think these two together are a little tough considering who the target audience would be.

Our kids are older (almost 7 & 9) and the descriptions of each letter were perfect for them, but they are beyond the age of ABC type books. I think for the audience that would be reading this (pre-k), the explanations might be a bit beyond their comprehension.

I love this idea,
Lindsay
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish this board book had been around when my children were younger. Regardless we read through this together and it came with many questions. Some were difficult but that’s the mark of a good children’s book. I want my children to learn, I want their questions. Even the most difficult ones. This will be a staple gift for all new babies in my life.

I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.

#read #reader #book #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #b
Morris
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like the concept of this book. However, it does seem more aimed at older grade school children. The explanations of some of the words were very advanced. The illustrations are bright and fun. If only the basic ABC pages are read, and the other parts saved for later, I do believe it can be adapted for younger children.

This unbiased review is based on a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Natalie
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

An ABC of equality is an ABC book with a difference. This book focuses on equality in life and covers topics like gender, feminism, immigration and disabilities to name just a few.
This is a great, diverse book for children but I would say its for children aged 8+.

Each letter of the alphabet has a two page spread - one page for the illustrations and 1 page for the description
Kelly  Russo Reviews
I was very impressed with the clever author's ability to broach the subject of diversity and acceptance starting with early learning for children. A topic that is vital in the world today. ...more
Finley Farmer
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is so much to love about this book. Words like class, gender, ability, etc are all explained in an easy way for young children to read. I have issue with two letters, however.

Human being for H goes on to use the description man, woman, and children, which ignores the previous letter g for gender talking about all the genders that exist. It makes it seem like those genders are not included in being human. This was an oversight and needs to be fixed.

L should be used for Love to talk about
Jennie Seaman
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an adorable book! I loved it so much! I read it to my 2-year-old niece and she loved it as well! It was so much fun and I loved how inclusive it was. Will definitely be buying this one for all the children in my life!
Shanika Smart
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an educator, I love the fact this book provides enough visuals and terminology for scholars to understand. It is not too overwhelming to engage scholars, it is a beginning point for scholars to research further. I love it and cannot wait to share it with my students.
joyce w. laudon
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was no book like this when I was growing up. This is a modern, social justice based ABC. While its board book format makes this a book for toddlers to look at, the concepts are more sophisticated and for (slightly) older children...or the book can grow with your child. A few examples: D is for Difference, G is for Gender, P is for Privilege, etc. Each concept is explained in a positive way. The illustrations are bright, appealing and inclusive. This book is a good resource for opening disc ...more
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
Amazing book, bright, colourful and appealing will draw the attention of everyone not just children. Full of very important lessons and messages and never talks down. Great reading to help introduce ideas and questions, should be in all pre_schools, nurseries and libraries.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Leah Horton
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An ABC of Equality is the simplest, most colourful, beautiful and straightforward book I have ever seen to explain equality. Gender, sex, race, religion, etc. It is all here and easy to understand.

This book should absolutely be a must own on any parents shelves. Not only would it teach children early about how important these words are, but it would help parents to understand better.

Ignorance, fear and learning all contribute to problems we face and create inequality. Wisdom, love and understa
Wayne McCoy
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
'An ABC of Equality' by Chana Ginelle Ewing with illustrations by Paulina Morgan is a board book with a definite agenda. If you agree with that agenda, you will love this book. If you don't, you won't. My review is asking if it works as a board book for toddlers.

Teaching equality is a noble aim, and I understand what the author is attempting. Unfortunately, I think it conceptually fails on a few levels. One function of an ABC book is to teach the very young the letters we use to form words. Usua
Fern
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
An engaging and colourful celebration of our wonderful world and everyone in it, no matter their gender, class or race!

With A for Ability, F for Feminism and L for LGBTQIA, author Chana Ginelle Ewing and illustrator Paulina Morgon, have introduced some empowering concepts perfect for some discussion starters with your little ones.
Isabelle
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An ABC of Equality by Chana Ginelle Ewing is the kind of book I am excited to add to my shelf to share with children. This book has a lot of words that will help you explain to your young children about social justice and how to be supportive of many different kinds of people. The illustrations that go with each letter are cute and the descriptions are easy to understand for the age level.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well-constructed and colorful book with excellent, child-friendly explanations of the various concepts of equality.
Jessicka Chamberlin
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this colorful, cheerful book. It begins the necessary conversations we all need to have to create a more equal society. Science has proved that prejudice can show itself with babies as young as 6 months old. Even if some of the concepts may be a bit advanced for a toddler, we are never too young to begin these conversations, and we can grow into our understanding. The younger we start, the better off we’ll all be.
Jenny Houle
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An all exclusive ABC book that helps start conversations at an earlier age than ever before. Colorful and engaging, this book discusses things like the differences in (A is for) “Abilities”, the importance of respecting (N is for) “No”, etc. Absolutely want to get copies for the young ones in my family.
Emily
UPDATE 7/25/2020 - When I saw this title pop up on NetGalley with a 2020 release date, I had a bit of deja vu. But then I wondered if the authors might have actually taken some of the criticism the book received from early reviewers and made changes. I had to find out! So, I read a ARC of this children's board book for the second time.

And yes, changes were made! I think overall the quality is definitely improved, and some of the quotes I listed in my original review were not in this new version
Laurie (girlwhobooksbuilt)
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
Chana Ginell Ewing structures An ABC of Equality around each letter of the alphabet, starting at Ability, passing Kindness, and Xenophobia, all on the path to Ze. Each layout in this vibrant picture book serves as a primer for both young and old in preparation of respectful conversations relating to complex issues such as ethnical and cultural diversity as well as class and gender. In fact, this book empowers a reader’s confident acceptance of themselves and others.

With color and bold graphics,
Aimee Dars
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, netgalley
A refreshingly new take on an ABC primer, An ABC of Equality introduces children to complicated and important topics like gender, justice, privilege, and consent. Though the concepts sound weighty, they are presented in a lively, accessible, and positive manner that invites conversation between young readers and their guardians.

The bright and colorful illustrations represent children of all races, genders, and abilities and invite identification from all readers. They are clever and fun; I part
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received va copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Oh, how I wish there had books like this when I was growing up.

This vibrant and charming book should be required reading for all classrooms
Janet
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When a super-speed reader doesn't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

Hannah
Dec 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This is one of those picture books with multiple reading levels. There will be your usual "P is for Privilege" line, then a one-sentence definition, and then a longer concept explanation. Obviously, this will bother some people, but it works really well for my kids, who are 8yo and 1yo and at different levels of understanding. There are a few questionable definitions in this book. I think the problem is where the author tried to over-simplify a few concepts and messed up in their phrasing, rathe ...more
Tasha
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
From the very first page, this board book grapples with social justice issues and demands that even tiny children start to think about our world in a more open way. A here is for ability. This book doesn’t stop with just the associated word though, it offers a definition that is accessible for small children, taking each concept and building on it throughout the book. Ewing uses great skill in distilling large and complicated subjects such as race, gender and xenophobia. Her text is uplifting an ...more
Meg
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books, children
Well of the explosion of left-leaning board books published in recent years, this is the first one I've actually loved. I think it presents some great vocabulary that open-minded children can employ in their vocabulary, well past the usual "board-book" age. I'd recommend this one for ages 3-6 for reading with a caretaker (someone to read the descriptions of each word and provide context). The illustrations are darling. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Greta and the Giants
  • The Very Quiet Cricket
  • Your House, My House
  • I Am Brown
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • Have You Seen Bunny?
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Me & Mama
  • Julián at the Wedding (Julián, #2)
  • Gaston