Start by marking “Bloodlust & Bonnets” as Want to Read:
Bloodlust & Bonnets

Bloodlust & Bonnets

From the creator of the hit webcomic My Life As a Background Slytherin comes a hilarious graphic novel pastiche of classic Romantic literature led by a trio of queer misfitsand several angry vampires.

Set in early nineteenth-century Britain, Bloodlust & Bonnets follows Lucy, an unworldly debutante who desires a life of passion and intriguequalities which earn her the
Published September 17th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Bloodlust & Bonnets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodlust & Bonnets

Start your review of Bloodlust & Bonnets
Melki
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucy is "a spirited young lady flouting the gendered expectations of her time, but in a cute way." When she's approached by a mysterious older woman about joining a "secret ancient immortal vampire cult," Lucy's kind of intrigued. But, then she meets a dark, brooding, vampire-slaying poet. He introduces himself as "It is I! Lord Byron! You know, from books." Now she's got a real dilemma on her hands . . . join Byron in a quest to extinguish the vamps, or, perhaps, become one herself.

description

Sometimes
Eva Müller
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Look. You're going to get exactly what you'd expect from something with the title Bloodlust & Bonnets by the author of My Life as a Background Slytherin.

Does it have a substantial plot beyond 'Lucy, Byron and their assorted group of misfits are very queer and very bad at hunting vampires'? No
Does it have a psychic eagle called Napoleon? Yes
Does a book with a psychic eagle called Napoleon need much plot? In my opinion: no
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
After unhappy and bored debutante Lucy slaughters her suitor (and an extra several others, for good measure) who happened to be a vampire (along with the others), shes approached by Lady Travesty to be a member of her special Immortal Vampire Cult. That is, before Lord Byron (yes, that Byron, from books) temporarily explodes Travesty with his sword and convinces Lucy to be in his vampire slaying group of one (plus his psychic eagle Napoleon and his magical-but-not-very-competent castle, Castle). ...more
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This book is a fun graphic novel in the mode of Pride, Prejudice and Zombies. It was a fast moving story, where the grass never grew under the protagonist Miss Lucys feet. With a full cast of humans, vampires and other beings it was exciting and sometimes it took a moment to catch up. Miss Lucy along with her sidekick or was she his sidekickLord Byron were trying to solve a grand mystery/reveal and battling anything standing in their way. There were some interesting side characters.

The
Rod Brown
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
There are some clever bits and stupidly funny gags in the first half, but the book goes on a bit long for what it is -- an early 19th century British vampire slayer farce -- and loses momentum midway. As one character says at the halfway point, "It all started out so simply! Now I've got no idea who's doing what or why . . . I'm so confused . . . " The art is ridiculously stylized but actually worked for me.
Silvia
Aug 21, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: graphic-novel
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

DNF around 50%, no rating

Look this was okay and fairly queer and sometimes fun but

there is way too much text for a graphic novel
it's way too long (more than 200 pages) and with so much text it started to become an issue
I feel like there's a lot of stuff I'm missing because I don't know Byron
the humor is not for me I guess
the art is cute but I have a problem with the
Katey Moore
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SO many laughs. SO MANY. I would highly recommend this graphic novel.
E.
★★,5☆☆ | I really wanted to like it, guys!

I got this ARC AGES AGO and at first, I somehow missed the archive date (thanks, ADHD) so I was SUPER excited when it appeared again!!

Sadly, when I finally got to it I realised one thing.

I don't have much fun reading it????

And it was supposed to be FUNNY! Come on, it's a JANE AUSTEN'S HEROINE fighting vampires with LORD BYRON and A COOL BUTCH GIRL!!!

And yet, I was barely chuckling every now and then.

I think it fell flat for me because I'm used to things
Lucy is sick of the patriarcy and the rich, and goes off on them, only to discover they are all vampires.

From that moment on, she decides to either fight them or join them, or both. She joins Lord Byron, from the books, as the says, as well as Sham, a transgender character who may be in love with Lucy, and other people who show up along the way.

It is all confusing, but fun.

Oh, and there is a talking castle. And a psychic eagle. And both are sometimes helpful, and sometimes not.

This all takes
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rollicking good fun! Plenty of Regancy romance tropes, mixes with vampires, adventure, talking castles, a psychic eagle, and more Lord Byron than I was expecting. It's very silly, pretty queer, and does not take itself seriously at all.

If you're looking for introspection or analysis give it a miss, but if you're looking for some laughs and adorable illustrations give it a try.
Carmen
When Lucy kills a bunch of vampires, shes approached by the mysterious Lady Violet Travesty. Before Travesty can recruit Lucy and induct her into her secret vampire cult, shes killed by Lord Byron. At least, thats what Lucy and Byron think because Travesty is a mysterious and ancient vampire who just happens to be immortal. Joining Byrons vampire hunting team of one, Lucy embarks on a hilarious journey to find Travesty and defeat her. Along the way, Lucy and Byron gain a third team member: a ...more
Amber Scaife
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sort of strangely-and-randomly bloodthirsty gal, Lucy, teams up with a bounty hunter and, um, Lord Byron to hunt down a vampire lady, but they all have different motives for doing so. The schemes are all hairbrained, the plot twist are excellently twisty and convoluted, and the banter is fantastically witty. I. LOVED. It. Exactly what I was hoping for from the author of My Life as a Background Slytherin.
Anniek
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq, graphic-novels
Apparently I already knew this artist from the My Life As a Background Slytherin cartoons, but I didn't read the synopsis before downloading this. I really love those cartoons, so that had me even more hyped to read this when I figured it out!

And this started out very promising: as a silly, laugh-out-loud adventure. As it quickly turned out though, silly humour can get old really really quickly if it's not inventive enough, and this just felt like it repeated a lot of the same jokes. I did still
Don Jimmy Reviews
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before I gush too much I may as well just come out and start with I LOVED THIS! It was brilliant in every way and if you are a fan of graphic novels IN ANY WAY, I think you need to pick it up. Hell, even if you don't like them, I think you'll find something here that you enjoy.

Now while I could probably leave the review at that, I should probably expand just a little....

Bloodlust and Bonnets is the tale of Lucy. A young woman who is on the cusp of steeling down. This book has everything you
Katiria
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
*** I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for the opportunity to read and review Bloodlust & Bonnets! ***

Ok, when I first read the synopsis of this graphic novel it had everything that I loved and enjoyed reading in books but I was left disappointed at the end. I know there are some readers that love, dislike or in between liking this book. I thought I was in between liking this book and gave it
Donna Maguire

I read this book over two nights and found it to be completely addictive!

The storyline was great, a complete mix of genres and it worked brilliantly. The images were superb and the author has done an absolutely cracking job.

This is not a book I would normally read but the blurb really intrigued me and I am so glad that I got a copy to read and review and that I was able to read something so good that was out of my normal choices. I have been converted and
Salieri
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First of all, thanks to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for sending me a free copy of this book.

Considering how much I love My Life as a Background Slytherin, it's really no wonder I smashed the request button when I saw the author was coming up with an original graphic novel. Especially since LGBT+ content and vampires are two of my biggest weaknesses.

All in all I enjoyed this book. Yes, there are some times when I felt it was dragging a bit, but there's also a lot of fun stuff that's
Ije the Devourer of Books
This is excellent and such good fun!

Lucy joins with Lord Byron to hunt down the vampire Lady Violet Travesty. On the way they meet another adventurer called Sham who is also after the vampire. The three of them throw themselves into the hunt, killing vampires who dare to cross their paths, only for the vampires to spring up alive again, and getting into lots of scrapes.

As the adventures progress old and new friends are made, magic happens and the trio get into and out of several messy
Julie
This was a delight. The artwork was fun, the text was AMAZING - so many one liners and panels that were done splendidly and I want to use as reactions. I loved how queer it was and how willing to poke fun it was. I cannot wait to get a finished copy for my collection.
Rec-It Rachel
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Im in love ...more
Luce
I was sent a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest review.

First things first, Im currently unwillingly incubating a viral infection and my brain isnt firing on all cylinders, but Im going to try my best.

Secondly, I love My Life As A Background Slytherin. Its the only Harry Potter-related thing, official or otherwise, that I engage with anymore. I was super stoked to find out not only that Emily had written a graphic novel but that it was available on NetGalley.

I
Rachel
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book when I first started it, the characters are hilarious. I mean Lord Byron? Romantic stereotypes. The dialogue and experiences were funny. But then the story dragged on. They went hither and thither, which was almost too much. It wasn't fully clear why they were going back and forth. That may have been part of the stereotype/trope. Maybe part of it was that I didn't read it all in one sitting and keep going back to it which may have made it take longer.
Well worth a
Emma
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2020
*Actual rating is a 2.5*

Bloodlust & Bonnets was a somewhat perplexing read that seems like it's trying to do too many things at a time. The story follows Lucy and Lord Byron as they attempt to hunt down a vampire who invited Lucy to join her secret immortal vampire cult. There are balls, a talking castle, a psychic hawk, and loads of other unusual elements.

I didn't really feel like the story Bloodlust & Bonnets tells is best suited for a graphic novel format. There's a high volume of
Samantha Jean
Alright, this was pretty adorable. Weird and nonsensical, but funny too? If you want to read something different I definitely recommend it.
Erin
Sep 09, 2019 added it
Shelves: graphic-novels, lgbt
Lucy gains the attention of Lady Violet Travesty and soon finds herself on a journey to life to where she can live her life as a vampire. Soon, Lord Bryon joins her adventures and Sham. The trio's personality mesh together for an interesting adventure.

A historical graphic novel with a paranormal twist caught my attention quickly. I was excited to dive into this and then was sad as I ended up being disappointed.

One a positive note (before I get the my negatives), it did have moments that were
Annarella
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was really funny and weird at the same time. I loved the quirky characters and I appreciated the humour.
The art style was good and I found this book engrossing and entertaining.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok, I have to say it. Emily McGovern has the exact same sense of humour as me. This graphic novel made me laugh out loud! Its all very tongue-in-cheek with lots of silly jokes and I just honestly loved it. This humour is honestly what made the book for me; every joke landed perfectly and McGovern was able to make me giggle with just one tiny detail in her drawings, like a raised eyebrow. I seriously had so much fun reading this.

The characters were brilliant. Lord Byrons pomp was utter perfection
Jen
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is perfectly in my wheelhouse, and I loved it. I laughed out loud many, many times - when I saw the curling papers in Byrons hair, I had to put the book down I was laughing so hard. The plot goes around in circles and is anticlimactic, but the main appeal is the pure silliness. ...more
Imogene
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have somehow managed to be unfortunately comatose or living in a hole in the ground (hobbit or otherwise) you may have missed Emily McGovern's My Life as a Background Slytherin, this is your opportunity to discover the sheer adorable ridiculousness of her art. Like, excuse me, who gave you permission to create a regency vampire cartoon?!?! And can I have more?
I loved seeing McGovern keep her simple, quirky style while creating her own world. I very, very, very much hope the Potterheads
Jen Solak
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this graphic novel is a ridiculous and raucous romp through the regency era! Do you like Jane Austen? Vampires? Sentient castles? Drunks? Ghosts? LGBTQ characters? Psychic birds? If you answered yes to any of these, you will love this book. As long as you also have a sense of humor and appreciate mocking adventures.

I highly recommend this as a fun addition to any collection!

Thank you NetGalley for an early copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Gail Carriger Fan...: Oct 2019: Bloodlust & Bonnets by Emily McGovern 2 25 Oct 04, 2019 12:30PM

• Mooncakes
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Bury the Lede
  • The Black Mage
  • Witchy
  • The Okay Witch
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Stage Dreams
  • Zatanna & the House of Secrets
  • Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists: A Graphic History of Women's Fight for Their Rights
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Snapdragon
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Queen of the Sea
  • The Blue Road: A Fable of Migration
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)