Start by marking “The Baggage Handler” as Want to Read:
The Baggage Handler

The Baggage Handler

The Baggage Handler is a contemporary story that explores one question: What baggage are you carrying?

When three people take the wrong suitcase from baggage claim, their lives change forever.

A hothead businessman coming to the city for a showdown meeting to save his job.

A mother of three hoping to survive the days at her sister's house before her niece’s wedding.

A/>When
Published March 5th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Baggage Handler, please sign up.
David Rawlings I am definitely "a" David Rawlings. In terms of being "the" version, that probably depends on your definition.

Start your review of The Baggage Handler
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
We all have baggage. How we perceive it is what matters. This is such a thought provoking read. I read it in one sitting. It made me think of Andy Andrews books. This is a book I want everyone I know to read. I can't wait to read more from Rawlings.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Nola
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three travellers all accidentally pick up the wrong bag at the baggage carousel of an airport, but don't realise it until they get to their destinations. David is a stressed-out businessman who needs his financial reports for a critical presentation that will decide whether or not his branch closes. Gillian needs the clothes she's packed for five stressful days with her sister's family in the lead-up to her niece's wedding. Michael needs the running spikes he's packed so that he can impress the ...more
Rachel McMillan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
With an easily accessible voice and relatable characters, The Baggage Handler is fiction to enjoy while ruminating with a cup of coffee. Rawlings inspires us to inhabit the best and worst of nature as represented in characters who bring this soft parable to life with surprising dimension and depth.

Less divisive than The Shack and with a sterner faith foundation than Mitch Albom, The Baggage Handler has the light philosophical touch of Alexander McCall Smith, the intense messaging of
Jenny Glazebrook
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I loved the originality and creativity of the imagery and phrases at the beginning of this book. Some sentences were brilliant and had me pausing in appreciation. However, I was disappointed when, part way through the book, this originality disappeared and was replaced with repetition. I stumbled over 'cloudy blue eyes' and 'approaching wistfulness' too many times. Even the description of the baggage building was repetitious.
I thought the idea behind the story was very clever, but I love a book
R.J. Rodda
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy-to-read inspirational story about three very different people who accidentally pick up the wrong baggage at the airport. It’s the kind of fiction anyone can read and the message is fairly simple - are you carrying baggage (yours or other people’s) that negativity impacts your future?
Missy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Baggage Handler started well, but it didn't deliver.

David Rawlings is good at describing inner turmoil, and I was engaged as each character's situation was revealed. After a luggage mix-up, the three characters travel to Baggage Handling, where each enters a waiting room tailored to his/her personal weakness. Each is asked to deal with unwanted baggage and confront a true image of himself/herself in order to be released from the Twilight Zone-type center.

That's when the story lost momentum
Melissa
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful reading experience! Reminiscent of James L. Rubart's books, The Baggage Handler is very insightful and contemplative, but also quite entertaining.
It addresses the question: how do we handle the baggage we carry around in our lives? Through three different characters' eyes, the reader gets to see how the things we choose to hang onto and lug around in our lives--whether intentionally or unintentionally--affects us and what the consequences might be of letting it go and cont
Narelle
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading The Baggage Handler and read it quickly, within twenty-four hours, because I couldn't put the book down. We're introduced to three characters who are struggling with major issues that are negatively impacting their lives.

I travel regularly for work, and I usually travel light with carry on luggage to avoid being delayed at the baggage carousels. I could relate to the characters at the start of the story, and the time pressures they were experiencing during their journey.
Deb
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received my goodreads giveaway yesterday, read this book last night and have already shared it with a friend this morning because I enjoyed it so much. This book is a quick, delightful, thought prevoking story, along the same lines of Mitch Albom's books. I highly recommend spending the afternoon or evening with this book!
Adam Collings
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three people from different walks of life, all dealing with difficult situations, pick up the wrong suitcase at the airport. When they call baggage services they are directed to a mysterious building with long empty hallways. There they are met by a figure who calls himself The Baggage Handler. He knows things about them. Things he shouldn't know. He wants to help them deal with their baggage, but will each of them be willing to listen?

This was a great character-driven exploration of
Terri
Mar 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
This story started out really good. I knew what The Baggage Handler did and why, but reading about the 3 main characters and the way they developed was interesting. My liking of this book just went downhill when the 3 went to claim their 'baggage'. The Baggage Handler actually acts a bit creepy, he falls on his knees in front of one character,and ends up crying for all of them.

But the one thing that really, really got to me was this one sentence "The Baggage Handler fixed a gaze on her (/him) w
Fiction Aficionado
You’ve heard the saying a picture is worth a thousand words? Well, with David Rawlings, it takes just a small percentage of those words to paint an entire picture: “The kitchen was a spotless tribute to reflection and polish. Even the cat’s litter box was immaculate, raked like a Japanese garden.” That combination of crisp, concise storytelling and vivid description makes this the kind of story that even non-readers will want to pick up.

The other really appealing thing about this story is it
Carolyn
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Baggage Handler, a novel, by David Rawlings is excellently written, complex and thought provoking.

It's about everyday life and how we deal with it and the 'key' to managing your life ~ it may be easier than you think.

The Baggage Handler is both psychological, fact and a fictional story.

This makes the 'perfect' gift for someone.

It's beautifully presented.

I will treasure this always.

* I would highly recommend this novel to all my fam
ArynTheLibraryan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pull my heartstrings! I connected with all three stories, for myself, and what I know loved ones are walking through.

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger was good, but this is better! Just as direct, but in a completely different way.

I found myself looking in a mirror as I read, with more clarity and perspective. This may be because I have been deliberately dealing with my emotional baggage a little at a time over the last year. It hasn't been easy, but as a journey, I am making progress!
Neelam Babul
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Baggage Handler is comparable to a contemporary parable urging the reader to ponder over the burdens weighing them down. The book focuses on how we handle the baggage we carry in our lives. Told from the perspective of three different characters, the reader gets to see how the things we choose to hang onto and carry with us in our lives,  intentionally or unintentionally, negatively affect us and what the consequences of letting the extra baggage can be.

Full review of the book o
D.J. Blackmore
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

The Baggage Handler prompts us to explore what weighs us down. He offers for us to open our own baggage that we lug around, and think about the possibility of leaving it behind us. What David, Gillian and Michael do when their luggage has been mixed up, is an emotional nightmare that they each must face before they are free to walk away. The time has come for them to open up and see what holds them back, what stops them from going forward.
A quote I read some time ago reminds me of the in
Victoria Bylin
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
You know those office gift exchanges at Christmas? Where you're not quite sure what to get someone you don't know very well? This book would be the perfect gift. The whimsical story goes deep in a way that speaks gently to Christians and non-Christians alike. We all have baggage that needs to be handled :)

Recommended for anyone who loves a good story. This is quick, entertaining read that knocks down walls and builds bridges.

Josephine-Anne Griffiths
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Yes, people usually collect their baggage, but they’d be better off if they dealt with it. ‘Deal with’ is exactly what we mean.”

I loved the clever symbolism within this contemporary fable.
Sorting out baggage at the airport or shipping dock can be a nightmare at times, but what if we had to sort out ‘our baggage’ before being allowed to continue our journey?

Three main characters Gillian, David, and Michael have each collected the wrong suitcases at the airport … each other's
Conny Reviews
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
“I am the Baggage Handler. Do you need some help with your baggage?” three troubled individuals are asked in David Rawlings’s novel, The Baggage Handler.

~ What ~
This two-hundred-and-forty-page small hardbound targets those interested in an allegory about dealing with one’s baggage – the kind that you carry around with you unknowingly as it alters, changes, and disrupts your life. Using the slang word heck and darn, topics of adultery may not be appropriate for immature readers.
Julian
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Baggage Handler is a wonderful book that I couldn’t put down. I love a book that feels like you are watching the best movie you have ever watched and you are lost in the world the author is creating before your eyes. Weirdly, I see elements of Stephen King in David’s writings, minus the scary stuff. An excellent read that I would strongly recommend.
Lilian
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Coming into this book, I had really high expectations. Whenever I’m about to read a book published by Thomas Nelson, I know I’m in for a real treat because all the Thomas Nelson books I’ve read before I have rated 4.5+ stars.

However, I was… quite disappointed by The Baggage Handler, and I actually ended up DNFing it. I have never been one for multiple POVs (points of view), but I thought I’d try this book out anyway. From the start, the personalities of the different characters confu
Maureen Timerman
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A very quick read, that once I started I was finished in one setting.
You will soon feel like you have stepped into another dimension, a bit like the twilight Zone.
I could see this book quickly continuing with sequels, there are lots of hurting people out there.
Will the three chosen individuals here have life changes? Surprises are seen as we continue with the stories, and we wonder what is going to happen, and as with real life, not always as we hope.
This one is going to
Ian
Three people: David, Gillian and Michael all arrive at the same airport on different flights and manage to take the wrong bag from the baggage conveyor belt. All happen to need certain content from their bags almost immediately and hence are tremendously inconvenienced by the mistake. On calling the airport they are directed to the speak to a gentleman who calls himself simply, the baggage handler who asks they meet him at a specific location.

All three separately arrive at this myste
TJ
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short gem of a book, David Rawlings has just gained a place up there with Andy Andrews. I have read several books that resemble this style, thought provoking, eye opening and have loved every one of them. Mr. Rawlings writing is excellent, the storyline is easy to follow and wow, it packs a punch. If you wonder if you have baggage, this is a perfect example to let you know you do, and a perfect example of how you can re-think your situation and possibly work toward a happier, more fulf ...more
Staci
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
What a thought provoking debut! I loved the way the author uses three fictional characters to draw readers to evaluate their own baggage.
Jolene
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Baggage Handler by David Rawlings is good in so many ways. First, I found the story addictive, not wanting to put it down. It was easy to read even as it jumped around between the stories of David, Gillian, and Michael. Second, I could identify with parts of each character's struggle. I saw a bit of myself in each of them. Lastly, it was emotionally potent for me as I have some emotional baggage. Don't be surprised if The Baggage Handler makes you cry. I sure did.

I recommend The
Joanna Raber
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolute must read! Such a wonderfully thought provoking book. I love the humor that the author incorporates into the story, the characters are easy to relate to.
Carol Ghattas
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed being drawn into this book. It seemed like a slow journey at first, but then I realized what was happening, and I just keep on reading. It was a great allegory of faith and how we carry weight around without even realizing it.
Jen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Chautona Havig
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It doesn’t happen often, and maybe that’s a good thing. After all, if every time you picked up a book and read half a dozen pages—if every time that happened you just knew your life would never be the same—you’d have to stop reading. Our lives can’t shift that often or drastically without causing emotional chaos.

That’s kind of where I am today—in the middle of emotional chaos.

And I kind of did it to myself.

See, I saw this book a few months back. I read the syn
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The White City (True Colors)
  • Almost Home
  • The Inn at Hidden Run (Tree of Life #1)
  • Shadow Among Sheaves
  • Moments We Forget (Thatcher Sisters #2)
  • On a Summer Tide (Three Sisters Island #1)
  • Convergence
  • The Memory House
  • The Pages of Her Life
  • The Secrets of Paper and Ink
  • Daughters of Northern Shores (Blackbird Mountain, #2)
  • No Ocean Too Wide (McAlister Family #1)
  • State of Lies
  • When You Are Near (Brookstone Brides, #1)
  • Cross My Heart (A Legacy of Faith #2)
  • Love and Other Mistakes
  • You Belong with Me (Restoring Heritage #1)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)