Start by marking “The Catholic All Year Compendium: Liturgical Living for Real Life” as Want to Read:
The Catholic All Year Compendium: Liturgical Living for Real Life

The Catholic All Year Compendium: Liturgical Living for Real Life

If you've been wondering how to bring the rich traditions of the Catholic Church's liturgical year into your home and into your family, this is the book for you. If you have no idea what the liturgical calendar is, this still might be the book for you, if you are looking for ways to bring your faith home from Sunday Mass, in every season, all year long.

Catholic blogger and
Published October 7th 2018 by Ignatius Press

To ask other readers questions about The Catholic All Year Compendium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catholic All Year Compendium

Start your review of The Catholic All Year Compendium: Liturgical Living for Real Life
Amanda
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a longtime fan of Kendra Tierney’s blog, which I have read almost since its inception and which helped me on my path of reversion to the Catholic faith, so I preordered this right away. Lots of times, books by bloggers are mostly blog material repackaged, but I decided that was fine - it’s good to have liturgical suggestions in order, in a book, and I am glad to support writing I have been receiving for free. But the Compendium, as I am going to affectionately call it, is a lot more than ...more
Ashley Strukel
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, 2019
This book is fantastic and I 100% recommend it! It is worth the price even if you never plan to make a liturgically appropriate meal ever. I have learned so much about the church and the liturgical year, not to mention the stories of so many wonderful saints. I can't recommend this book enough. Kendra is informative while also being relatable and entertaining.
Anne
This is such a fun read and not at all reference-manual-y. Her voice comes across so clearly, and it is informative and organized while still being warm and lighthearted. Her suggestions also feel natural and within reach of someone whose attempts are not pinterest-worthy...
Katie Fitzgerald
#CathLit2019 challenge: A recently published Catholic book

I have been reading Kendra Tierney's blog since I've had kids and have implemented some of her ideas for living out the liturgical year. This book makes it so much easier to keep track of all the feast days and their associated traditions, activities, etc. While some of the meal suggestions strike me as gimmicky, everything else included, from information on indulgences, to the prayers associated with certain saints, to the list of
Jaime K
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best things about this book is that Tierney repeats over and over again that certain things are done in her house but 1) no one is expected to do it all (and even her family doesn’t do it each year) and 2) parents know their children best.
I equate it to the unending plethora of educational materials that can be used out there and my supervisor saying “pick one new thing to do this year. If it works, add on to it next year. If it doesn’t, reassess and see if you can modify it next
Colleen
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At this point in the year, this was the best nonfiction book that I read! It was informative and entertaining. I felt like I was having a conversation with the author as she was going through the liturgical year. For example, she was talking about Martinmas and another feast day that both involved Goose and she would say "if you are going to cook goose let me know." There was another conversational moment, where she was like "We do not do this except I think we will now." I learned so much about ...more
Alicia
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started following Kendra Tierney's blog within the first year she began blogging, when I was a freshman in college. Kendra's blog is a fantastic resource, but even if you're very familiar with her blog, you still get so much out of this book. Plus, who doesn't want to have a great resource sitting on their bookshelf to grab and thumb through whenever needed?

The writing style is accessible and engaging, without oversimplifying the subject matter or avoiding convoluted and sometimes confusing
Sara Cooper
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got this book from my mother (who is not Catholic) last year for Christmas. She picked it up on a whim when in Barnes and Noble. Upon receiving it, I immediately dove in and was overwhelmed. I was sure I had not been doing enough as a Catholic mom and wife based on what Kendra Tierney does! That being said, I went back and re-read the first chapter that starts "Making the Liturgical Year Your Own" and "How to being by 1. Start with the liturgical living you're already doing". When I realized ...more
Hillary
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kendra's book introduces liturgical living at a very manageable level, mostly consisting of ways to make the dinner you would already make fit with a feast's or saint's theme, with a few crafts, procession ideas, and particular prayers woven in. I think her proposed way of living a distinctly Catholic lifestyle in community with others is a perfect addition to the conversations already happening in our corners of the world (i.e. "Benedict-option"), but also offers a path very easy to implement ...more
Amy
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I purposefully read this book over the course of a year so I could soak up all of Kendra’s teachings and suggestions in “real time”, starting with the New Year of our Catholic faith, Advent. Even though I am a cradle Catholic (born into the faith), there were many things I learned while reading this compendium. But most importantly, it inspired me to “bring the faith home” in our daily lives as a family. Thanks to her suggestions, we’re each adopting a patron saint to learn about each year ...more
Audie
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and I can't recommend it enough. It's constantly out at my house as I (try to) look ahead for the upcoming liturgical year. I'm always looking for a reason to celebrate (especially with breakfast for dinner), which this book covers well, but it also dives deep into other Catholic traditions like indulgences.

Also, this is one of those books that could easily have been filled with Pinterest-worthy pictures, but it's now and that makes it so much better!!
This is full of great
Taylor
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely so grateful for this book. I heard about it on The Gathering Place, and literally pulled over so I could order it on Amazon. As a twenty-something single woman, I’ve been dying for some ways to live out liturgically. THIS BOOK IS THE ANSWER. I’ve already used some of the ideas with my friends and we love it. Kendra’s voice made a compendium actually quite enjoyable; I caught myself laughing out loud many times. This book encouraged me to strive for sanctity in the season that I’m ...more
Missy
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Well researched and informative. The author's writing style is conversational enough to feel like I'm listening to another mom over a cup of coffee, but serious enough to highlight the importance of the subject. Tierney is also realistic. She repeatedly advises to start small, make it your own, and explains her own inventive routines and ideas in a way that had me thinking of how I could create traditions for my own family. Tierney wanders off into catechesis and history, but ...more
Barb
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
New from Ignatius Press, The Catholic All Year Compendium puts all the liturgical-living information you need into one book. You won’t have to dig through the free calendar you pick up at church, five websites, and four books about the lives of the saints to find some ways to observe the Church’s feasts, fasts, and everything in between — and make them work for your family.

Read my full review.
Maria Clancy
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love how simple Kendra makes liturgical living, it doesn’t have to be big things, it can be little things scattered throughout the year.

I also loved how she explained how she explains various topics to her children. As a young mother just starting my family, this content was very much appreciated.

This book is a fantastic resource that I will be coming back to throughout the year, every year. And it may even become a staple wedding gift for Catholic couples!
Lauren
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book month by month to help prepare my menu and family plans. It has been fabulous. The ideas she has are easy to incorporate and often quite hilarious. I have recommended this book to numerous people. I should get a commission I’ve recommended it somany times! Whether or not you were Catholic, if you are trying to incorporate more liturgical living into your family life this is the book for you!
Bethany Sonnier
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had been looking forward to this book for a long time, and it was even better than I’d hoped for! Kendra offers wonderful, practical suggestions for bringing the liturgical year into your home, with both easy things for beginners and stuff to stretch even people who have been doing this for years. An invaluable resource.
Anjanette Barr
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have quoted or referenced this book over and over in my writing and conversation, and while planning out upcoming months. Five stars for being practical, readable, AND inspiring! I've only been Catholic for a year. The liturgical year is one of the things that drew me to the Church, but it can be overwhelming even so. I'm very thankful for this guide!
Faith Hough
Review soon! But I have Advent-ing to do around here. :)
I love Kendra's voice and enthusiasm, and even a cradle Catholic myself had plenty to gain from her beautifully presented compendium of liturgical living.
Beth
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was like chatting with a friend about how she lives the liturgical year in her home. The tone and content felt familiar, yet not redundant, with our own home. It was a quick read and will be a delightful reference.
LeeAnn Balbirona
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting for Catholic parents of young families looking to add liturgical year devotions. All text, no illustrations. A bit traditional—discussion of things like plenary indulgences and litanies. Not my top resource for liturgical living.
Antonia
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read, use and enjoy this book. It is an amazing resource that will help you integrate your faith into daily life with earnestness and a healthy dose of fun. I can’t recommend this book highly enough! Kendra Tierney has done us a great service.
Adriana M
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have learned so much reading this and I still go back to reference it. Absolutely love it!
Cate
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know you love the book when you borrow it from the library, but buy your own copy before you return it.
A great and easy resource for liturgical living.
Katie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must have for any Catholic home.
Sarah Winslow
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great reference for celebrating the liturgical year! Love hearing Kendra's familiar "voice" from her blog.
Joseph
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great way to keep the traditions going all year in the home.
Heather
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the content of this book, but think that it could be visually better. Bullet points, organized by month, pictures, etc.
Becca Hadley
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can’t wait to implement many of these ideas in the years to come!
Elise Baie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's so much to learn in this compendium! I really enjoyed reading about the saints and Kendra's creative suggestions for how to live life a little more liturgically.

• The Grace of Enough: Pursuing Less and Living More in a Throwaway Culture
  • Around the Year with the Trapp Family: Keeping the Feasts and Seasons of the Christian Year
  • My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir
  • One Beautiful Dream: The Rollicking Tale of Family Chaos, Personal Passions, and Saying Yes to Them Both
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • Something Other than God: How I Passionately Sought Happiness and Accidentally Found It
  • The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day
  • Letter to a Suffering Church: A Bishop Speaks on the Sexual Abuse Crisis
  • Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Introverted Mom: Your Guide to More Calm, Less Guilt, and Quiet Joy
  • Girl, Arise!: A Catholic Feminist's Invitation to Live Boldly, Love Your Faith, and Change the World
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart
  • Theology of Home: Finding the Eternal in the Everyday
  • Introduction to the Devout Life
  • Jesus and the Jewish Roots of Mary: Unveiling the Mother of the Messiah
  • Made for This: The Catholic Mom's Guide to Birth
  • Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves
Catholic wife, mother, homeschooler, and blogger at Catholic All Year.

You can follow her on instagram at: http://instagram.com/kendra_tierney
“Jesus speaks specifically about our guardian angels: “See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven” (Mt 18:10).” 0 likes