Start by marking “The Stress Solution: The 4 Steps to Reset Your Body, Mind, Relationships Purpose” as Want to Read:
The Stress Solution: The 4 Steps to Reset Your Body, Mind, Relationships  Purpose

**From the author of the Sunday Times bestselling The 4 Pillar Plan**

'One of the most influential doctors in the UK (...) I could talk to Rangan all day (...) he's amazing' - Chris Evans

Become a calmer, happier and healthier you with Dr Rangan Chatterjee's The Stress Solution.

In this book, BBC One's Dr Rangan Chatterjee, draws on two decades of practice to show you how
Published December 27th 2018 by Penguin Life

To ask other readers questions about The Stress Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stress Solution

Start your review of The Stress Solution: The 4 Steps to Reset Your Body, Mind, Relationships Purpose
Veronique
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t usually read 'self-help' books, but since I had been given Dr Chatterjee’s books, I thought I’d give it a go. Well, as it happens, this tome was full of common sense advice. The author focuses on 4 areas - Purpose, Relationships, Body and Mind - with several points of focus, and ‘techniques’, for each. Some might speak to you more than others, and indeed you can pick what you feel will work for you. A lot of them reminded me of Eastern/Asian schools of thought actually. I already ‘do’ qu ...more
Shiny5711
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I know there is a lot of good information in this book, but...like, he says to get up earlier and shows how he spends his morning getting up & having a cuppa & meditating & walking in the garden...Um, I have to get up at 0400 - feed animals and get out and to work by 0600. It's a little early for a cuppa much less a stroll in the garden! I know what he's saying and I'm not saying there's no tweaking his ideas to my life, but like many self-help works the reality of the life of the person offerin ...more
Vanessa
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not quite as accessible as his first book, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one just the same. This is one that I will have to return to more often, as there are mini suggestion checklists for minimising stress in all areas dotted throughout. As always a beautifully put together book with real practical advice. I'm a fan!
Iona  Stewart
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another excellent book by the esteemed Dr Chatterjee.

I listen to his podcast interview every week and am dismayed that I have been unable to see his amazing Doctor in the House series, because our limited Danish TV companies refuse to buy it, though it has been transmitted to many, many European countries, as far as I have heard.

Dr Chatterjee, understanding that we are all far too busy these days, has identified stress as being our number one problem, and in this book suggests various s
Emma
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book begins with the statistic that 60-80% of GP consultations are related to stress. This is worrying, but empowering at the same time. Dr Chatterjee has created an easy-to-read (and visually pleasant) guide to managing and reducing stress. Like others, I did find some of the advice overwhelming and as if I now have even more things to do in life. Overall, though,
My favourite tips are:
- find your life's purpose (this was a key point in another book I read recently, A New Earth by Eckhart T
Madamedupin
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great, easy, but impactful read. Very though provoking.
A lot of the advice could be called common sense (eat more vegetables, get some sleep, be outside more, move around, etc) - but it’s the way it’s linked to health outcomes and the way it cumulatively benefits you that’s powerful. This is well written, easy to understand, and anyone can get at least something out of it.
I’m already doing a lot of yoga and exercise but this has encouraged me to be more mindful of light levels to improve cir
Dawn
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Divided into four main areas, this book focuses on stress and how it affects your purpose, relationships, body and mind and how to get stress under control. It’s very clear and well written and certainly a book I would dip back into when I want to restore calm back in my life.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Marina
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Having enjoyed his previous book , and knowing I was facing a challenging time ahead, I hoped The Stress Solution would help me find positive coping strategies.
Unfortunately, it seems to be a cobbling together of some hackneyed well-being concepts, with a focus on acronyms and mnemonics such as LIVE and the Three Ps. (I’m afraid mnemonics don’t work with me, as I can’t remember what either of these stand for!)
Although well meaning, it doesn’t seem to hang together well, and while I don’t rule o
Debbie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, well written and simply explained methods to reduce stress. I’m putting some things Dr Chatterjee suggested into action already. Highly recommend reading this book, especially if you suffer from any kind of stress... that’s all of us I imagine!
Ken Walsh
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for the modern age.
Terri-Lynn
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Practical. Inspirational. Highly recommended.
Lucy
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, library, non-fiction
I've read all of Doctor Chatterjee's other books so I thought I would round it off with this book. This book is all about dealing with stress and how to manage stress in ways you can actually complete. This was especially useful during these times of great stress.

This book is very linked to his other books so there is quite a lot of information which is not repeated as such, because he talks far more about affirmations and meditations and goes into greater detail about why they were so useful a
MKmuses
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Already following some of the pointers, I agree with many of his suggestions. Would help if he added more scientific citations.
Ellen
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this a very enjoyable and informative read. The Stress Solution also made me realise just how much modern society is corrupting our health and our happiness, and has given me a new perspective on how to spend my time.☀️
Rory
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a good book with lots of sensible advice. Stress seems to be all we hear about these days; and we can get lots of advice on how to deal with it. But companies don't act on that and it can be work that is a big stressor.

This is the sort of book you read several times and get something new from each time.
Steven
Jan 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Dr. Rangan Chatterjee has some useful insights on health in this book (second half), but there are some sections of this book that are extremely cringe-worthy.

For example, he dedicates and entire chapter to air his grievances about touch. He writes that "a lack of touch from others could be at the root of some of society's biggest problems" and that “we’ve gone too far”.

“These days, I’m extremely nervous about making even the slightest physical contact in my clinic. Simple touch is now seen as c
Alyson
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy to read and lots of useful practical tips of things you can do to change your lifestyle.
Personally though, I think I prefer his earlier book, the Four Pillar Plan.
Significant detraction is several references to animal vivisection studies. Shows lack of compassion and understanding of bigger issues.
Nathan
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Got some nice ideas but nothing particularly groundbreaking
Sudakshina Bhattacharjee
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have watched Dr Chatterjee’s BBC series and was familiar with his distinctive approach towards progressive medicine and lifestyle illnesses.
In the past year, I’ve been struggling on and off with digestive issues and after having treatment both in the UK and India, it turns out that a (sometimes unnecessarily) stressful lifestyle has been one of the culprits!
I’ve been doing some research of my own (the journalist within me couldn’t help it) and when I came across an article that Dr Chatterjee
Samantha
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, self-help
The author has appeared on the TV a number of times, I've enjoyed his programmes so was curious to see what he said. i thought this was a useful book for even those not suffering from stress as it helps you look at your own life in a different way to bring a difference to your well-being.

This book contains 4 main sections: Purpose, Relationships, Body and Mind. Each section then has 3 chapters of information, from case studies to ideas in how to improve. The Purpose section looks at 3 habits of
Niels Philbert
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lot of books, that try to tackle a multifaceted topic ends up either to deep/complex in one area or very superficial. I expected to find this book in the latter category.

I was very pleasently surprised to learn, that Rangan manages to fit both specific knowledge about neurotransmitters, sleep stages, sex, social connections etc. into a book, that is also very approachable, if you know very little about stress and how the human body responds to it.

I know quite a bit about most of the areas, and
Benjamin Briggs
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All in all I thought it was a good read as I don't normally read these kinds of books but it so happens I was going through a rather stressful period and it was recommended to me. It doesn't feel like a heavy, factual and dull manual with how to manage stress. Its a pretty easy, simple and light hearted read that makes you think about things that you could possibly implement into your life. I respect the GP here as he's not forcing you to do these things but its rather a "why not give it a try" ...more
Scott McCaughie
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't love this book, but one key takeaway was the fact I really don't suffer from stress that much. Many of the suggestions, I'm already doing. Perhaps if I was in a different environment the advice would prove very useful. Oddly, some of the acronyms and mnemonics actually made me feel stressed! I don't want to remember a bunch of these things just to reduce my stress levels... That's adding to any stress I'm feeling! "is it the 3 Ps, the 3 Ms or the LIVE framework I'm interested in now? Wh ...more
Sharon Gausch
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Chatterjee dives deeper into his four-pillar plan in this second book, while also exploring and explaining how we in modern Western society are relentlessly bombarded with stressors large and small. He discusses realistic ways to reduce our stress load across the pillars: purpose, relationships, body, and mind. This book is full of suggestions and concrete yet simple things we can implement to reduce our stress load and help to maintain ourselves in a thrive state. An excellent read and a be ...more
Johny Ryan
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
I like this book for it's beauty/simplicity, I love the double page spread on fibrous veggies, I like to mark down in pencil which ones I have tried or have in at the moment.

One of the brightest doctors in the country, who makes things simple and practical.
I would recommend his other book the 4 pillar plan to anyone too.

If you haven't already: listen to or watch on Youtube his podcast, especially the interviews with ex prisoner turned Iron man Athlete John Mcavoy & Quest Nutrition/Impact Theor
Em
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully presented book, nice for the coffee table as I think it's one that I will continue to pick up and flick through for some time to come. Sensible life style suggestions across a range of areas, you can pick and chose which ideas work for you, the idea being small changes here and there can bring about significant changes to your overall wellbeing. I have a growing interest in taking an holistic approach to my health and this book is a well organised guide to achieving that.
Rebecca
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book which is both well-written and informative. It takes you through a wide variety of simple techniques and ideas to help manage stress. Each one is simple, and it's easy to see how by implementing some of these into your life, they could make a big difference. What I liked most about this book was how personal it was; I loved the anecdotes from patients, and from Dr. Chatterjee's own life which filled the pages and supported what he was saying.
Sian Thompson
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think this is a must read for all who want to feel better and healthier in themselves, further their own knowledge of health and wellbeing and understand some of the common triggers to modern day stress and how to potentially overcome them. I would say a must read for all. I like Dr Chatterjee, his honesty, passion and commitment are evident and he makes the topic very engaging and straightforward.
Tom Bradley
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read his first book, the 4 pillar plan, which I loved I was intrigued to read this book.

It does not disappoint. I genuinely feel that everyone can benefit from reading this.

It's well written and well presented.

I would avoid the kindle version and opt for the paperback version. This is a book you will come back to time and time again.
Fiona
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not the biggest fan of self help books but I enjoyed how this one was written, the real and practical advice given, the examples from actual patients. The lay out is nice, it’s an easy read and although nothing new it’s a refreshing look at what is already known. A very nice book for the genre.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bara ett litet mord (Säbyholms gröna fingrar, #1)
  • Mytomanen (Emma Sköld, #8)
  • Biohack: ät rätt för just din kropp
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • The Doctor’s Kitchen - Eat to Beat Illness
  • The Organised Mum Method: Transform your home in 30 minutes a day
  • Mitt hemliga liv
  • The Circadian Code: Lose Weight, Supercharge Your Energy, and Transform Your Health from Morning to Midnight
  • Calm: Working through life's daily stresses to find a peaceful centre
  • Time and How to Spend It: The 7 Rules for Richer, Happier Days
  • The Source: Open Your Mind, Change Your Life
  • Not a Diet Book: The Must-Have Fitness Book From the World's Favourite Personal Trainer
  • Tolv veckor med dig
  • A Year of Living Simply: The joys of a life less complicated
  • Fast Asleep: How to Get a Really Good Night's Rest
  • Dotter saknad (Bergslagens blå, #1)
  • Ten Times Happier: A guide on how to let go of what’s holding you back from the bestselling author of TEN TO ZEN
  • Våroffer (Årstidskvartetten, #4)
Dr. Rangan Chatterjee is regarded as one of the most influential doctors in the UK and wants to change how medicine will be practised in years to come. He has been called a pioneer and is changing the way that we look at illness. He is known for finding the root cause of people's problems and he highlighted his methods in the ground-breaking BBC television show, Doctor in the House, which has been ...more

News & Interviews

“True happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are the same thing’ – Gandhi” 2 likes
“There’s plenty of fantastic evidence that shows we can gain huge benefits from altering the way we view our daily stresses.” 1 likes