Start by marking “Hashtag Authentic: Be your best creative self via your Instagram online presence” as Want to Read:

Instagram is the fastest growing social media platform, with 400 million monthly active users worldwide, half of them under 25. While some of these people use the app as a personal tool, many also use it to build their creative business endeavours, from food and drink to fashion and lifestyle.

Sara Tasker has tapped into this as an Instagram coach, an iPhoneographer and
Published February 19th 2019 by White Lion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hashtag Authentic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hashtag Authentic

Start your review of Hashtag Authentic: Be your best creative self via your Instagram online presence
Valerity (Val)

I have Instagram but I dont spend any time on it. Im just too busy with my other stuff to ever make it there. So when I saw this book I thought it would be a way to get a look at one perspective of it, and maybe learn a bit about it. Well, that I did, and then some in this informative book by Sara Tasker. She shares how she got stared herself and gives lots of great tips on how to improve your Insta if you are
Stephanie
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
What a great book to settle in with on a quiet afternoon - breezy, heartfelt, with beautiful photos on every page. Its part handbook for Instagram, part meditation on thankfulness and the nature of creativity, part story of a young mother searching for connection.

All in all, an optimistic view of social media, and all the best things that can come through sharing on this platform. Being quite an amateur when it comes to photography, I loved her chapter on taking better photos and visual
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
If you've read the blurb then you at least know what this is about, if you're not interested in Instagram or tips about it then I wouldn't recommend this. If you are, then I would highly recommend this, Sara has a really nice writing voice and I have a sneaking suspicion she'd write a pretty good motivational speaker book. She's truthful, she admits though these pictures represent her life and times in it, that they are of course adapted to the photo that she wants (like the waterfall picture ...more
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
I received a review copy of this book from Netgalley. This does not affect my rating or opinions.

4.5 stars.

When we shoot moments instead of things we capture the feelings as well as the facts. [...] A great moment, photographed, makes us nostalgic - in fact, it should feel that way even if we only shot it yesterday.

I've been a follower and fan of Sara Tasker's Instagram (@me_and_orla) for a while now. The calming composition and captions of her photos remind me to take a moment to breathe and
Jaye Rockett
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book arrived today and I finished it today, it was so beautiful, so well written I couldnt bear to put it down. Not only is this perhaps the most beautiful book Ive ever seen, Sara offers insightful, intuitive advice in the kind of friendly, coffee with your pals kinda way I absorb information best. A combination of her beautiful photography and well thought out journaling/worksheet prompts have already left me feeling inspired, motivated and creatively charged. Ive spent most of that ...more
Whether we like it or not Social Media is the current way to get publicity for whatever it is that you are trying to promote, be it a book, an event, or yourself.

And although Sara's photos, through out this book, are well composed, and beautiful, in a cold sort of way, they all look staged. But, perhaps that is what photography is. Oddly enough, she tells you to take photos that speak to you, which is usually how it works.

The thing about Instagram is that people see a style, and they all mimic
Janet

Robin Bonne
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wanted some ideas to improve the quality of my posts to social media and this book was exactly what I was looking for. Stuffed full of practical advice, I enjoyed this quick read.
Heena Rathore P.
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly beautifully written book which touched on a lot of topics which Instagram enthusiasts, like myself, often wonder about. It also tackled the big issues of finding one's identity and being unique while also being your best creative self, in general, very well!
If you spend even an hour daily on Instagram, then do read this book!
Beverley Lee
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I flew through this very beautifully presented book. It's very aesthetically pleasing on all counts, from the creative flair of the photography inside to the weight and feel of the paper.

For those who don't know, Sara Tasker is an Instagram coach and a social media influencer. Whilst I normally roll my eyes at the last term, I've been following Sara for a long time and find her words and insights very thoughtfully crafted.

It's a very interesting peek into how social media (Instagram) works with
Eustacia Tan
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of beautiful photos and more exercises than I expected on finding your voice and style on Instagram.

I like what she says about photography being a time capsule of things you want to remember, but I also wonder if taking many photos of the moment takes you out of the moment. Still, I might come back to this if I want to try to improve my photographs - it's not very technical but there are concrete suggestions here
Janelle
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, cbr11
I tend to hang out in relatively niche corners of Instagram. As such, I came to Hashtag Authentic completely unaware of Sara Tasker and her Instagram feed. Never heard of her, and her images don't show up in my Explore feed. But the description of Tasker as an "Instagram coach" twigged my curiosity enough to make me want to read this.

What this book is:
A gorgeous primer on the hows and whys of Instagram. Tasker teaches basic lessons in photography for social media. (If you're familiar with how to
Kayleigh
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely way to spend a day, dipping in and out of this beautiful book.
Sara has written in a way that makes you feel as though youre a friend, like shes someone to take advice from and whos supporting you 100%.

Not only is this book full of beautiful photos, it has great advice and personal experience to help you to find your way with your own Instagram and the style of photos youd like to create whether it be of the little things in life, flatlays or showing off your artwork.

A really good read
Cecily Wolfe
This is a really helpful and inspiring look at how anyone can use Instagram to share their lives and loves with the world, and have fun doing it. If you aren't great with a camera, you'll find lots of tips and tricks for both cameras and phone cameras in this book, and plenty of practical advice on how to design an Instagram page that truly reflects who you are and what your life is about. This is wonderful for individuals and business owners who want to connect with others online and in real ...more
mrsruthiewebb
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book I want to give to so many people who do social media. Hashtag Authentic is a no-gloss, easily readable book filled with sensible advice on how to navigate the world of Instagram - and beyond.

Saras sensitivity, caring tone and straightforward, no-faff advice is spot on. I loved the style of writing. It wasnt written from an expert on high dishing out instructions, it was almost as if I was chatting to Sara. As a regular listener to Taskers podcast (look it up, same name as this
Tami
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, blogging
Social media (particularly Instagram) is a big part of my job and it's something I'd like to improve on, so I was really excited to read this book. Sara Tasker is an Instagram coach and a talented photographer so I figured it would be really helpful to read. And I wasn't disappointed!

Sara gives tons of helpful advice on everything you could think of when it comes to Instagram. From how to find your confidence to how to develop your photography style to captioning your photos, and much more. She
Tomi Ola
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who uses Instagram to promote a message on fashion and sustainability, Sara Tasker's book was precisely the right fit. She tackles questions about the platform from the perspective of community over follower count; engagement with your core message over ❤likes.

I also love her writing style. It is soothing and reassuring.

If you're looking to build a community on Instagram around a core message or even your personal brand, I'd recommend picking this book up.

It doesn't hurt that it
Charlotte
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this but it wasnt for me. I think I need to stop reading books about Instagram! ...more
Claudia Mangeac
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved it but i really wish it would have loved for it to be longer - I felt like the chapters were great but they could have been double the size with even more examples.
Bev
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Common sense advice, great tips and beautiful photos make this an enjoyable and informative read.
Kelsey Mech
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful, calming and inspiring take on Instagram! It felt like such a comforting read for navigating Instagram these days.
Patch405 (Shannon Barghols)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blogging
Wow. I dont know what I was expecting when I sought permission to review Sara Taskers book, Hashtag Authentic. Thats not exactly true. I was expecting an opinionated, throw-a-hundred-darts-and-see-what-sticks approach to Instagram and hashtags. What I found was completely different. What I found was refreshing and thoughtful.

If youve sought to develop on online presence through Instagram or blogging, youve probably already read hundreds of articles and books and watched countless videos.
Sascha
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Confession time. I dont spend a lot of time on other forms of Social Media besides my microcosm. I have accounts on Twitter, FB, Instagram, etc., and I contribute (sometimes), but I remain blithely ignorant of many of the trending influencers of Social Media. This is why I came to Hashtag Authentic expecting one thing and receiving another all together.

Hashtag Authentic by Sara Tasker blew me away because of the expectations I approached it with. Sara Tasker is not just a success on Instagram
Dux l My week is Booked
The photos inside are really pretty, but it's not very instructional. For instance it shows a photo at a cool angle and recommends taking photos like this for Instagram, but it doesn't tell you how she accomplished taking a photo at that angle. Is someone taking it for her? Does she bring a tripod and her phone to a coffee shop and set a self timer? We'll never know!
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of Hashtag Authentic through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Hashtag Authentic is the perfect novel for anyone out there trying to work on their Instagram presence or image. It doesnt matter if youre doing it as a personal account or trying to get a business going. This novel will help you organize your thoughts, come up with a plan and feeling, and keep you on track.
Sara Tasker is a trustworthy expert in the field, so you wont be wasting your time with
Nina
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been following Sara on Instagram/her blog for years now and I love the content she puts out so it only felt right to buy and read her book aswell. And it didn't disappoint.

I've "recently" been stuck in a slumb when it comes to my Instagram. The motivation and inspiration to take photos and be creative just isn't there, although photography was always one of my biggest hobbies. And while this book *obviously* didn't completley cured that, it did give me ideas as to where to start looking
Shelly Seward
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was scanning NetGalley a couple of weeks ago and the person on the cover of the book looked familiar to me. (Sara is correct when she says that you should share photos of yourself on your Instagram account from time to time so people can know the person behind your Instagram! If she had not shown photos of herself on her Instagram, I wouldn't have known it was her book and would have kept on scrolling.) When I read the description, I realized that I follow her on Instagram! I enjoyed the ...more
Felicia
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pictures transcend language barriers, cognitive differences and offer a different experience to everyone who sees them.

HASTAG AUTHENTIC by Sara Tasker is the perfect combination of great photography, aesthetics and how to manage your Instagram account. Not only does Sara share her own journey, but she gives advice on how you can grow your social media accounts and upping your photography game.

As someone who loves photography and Instagram, this was an extremely helpful book. Sara explained
Michaela Whitney
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-won, 2019-read
I received a copy through NetGalley for review.

Hashtag Authentic: Be your best creative self via your Instagram online presence by Sara Tasker,
Is an interesting, guided look to curating the images in your life that inspire you.
She helps break down themes and images, helps you open your mind a bit more to the things around you.
It's less for business, and more for the personal Instagram user.
I feel like creating this kind of imagery is great for people who live in lush interesting settings.
I
Guinevere
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much NetGalley and White Lion Publishing for allowing me access to Hashtag Authentic via ebook. I feel so inspired to go and capture my life. I have always loved photography. Starting with the disposable cameras. I couldn't wait to get them developed. That is something Sara touches on, just the incredible patience you had to have. Everything took time, and you took your time snapping.

There are a lot of great points, and questions Sara uses to get you into the mind frame for
« previous 1 3 next »

• Instastyle: Curate Your Life, Create Stunning Photos, and Elevate Your Instagram Influence
  • Capture Your Style: Transform Your Instagram Photos, Showcase Your Life, and Build the Ultimate Platform
  • An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home
  • How to Style Your Brand: Everything You Need to Know to Create a Distinctive Brand Identity
  • Playing Big: Find Your Voice, Your Mission, Your Message
  • Welcome to Weaving: The Modern Guide
  • Big Dreams, Daily Joys: Get Things Done, Make Space for What Matters, Achieve Your Dreams
  • Depression in a Digital Age: The Highs and Lows of Perfectionism
  • The Multi-Hyphen Method: Work less, create more, and design a career that works for you
  • Literary Places (Inspired Traveller's Guide)
  • Live Green: 52 Steps for a More Sustainable Life
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • How To Break Up With Fast Fashion
  • Do Less: The Unexpected Strategy for Women to Get More of What They Want in Work and Life
  • Styling for Instagram