Start by marking “Mages & Mechanisms (Jak & Leander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mages & Mechanisms (Jak & Leander, #1)

Mages & Mechanisms

(Jak & Leander #1)

Leander Weatherford doesn’t want a mage, but he needs one. Enchanted mechanical animals are all the rage among the upper classes, and selling them will save his struggling family business. Enter Jak, whose enchanting ability is second only to his talent for flirting. It’s dangerous to keep such a tempting man close, but Leander can’t resist—in more ways than one.

Jak needs
Published May 18th 2018 by October Night Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mages & Mechanisms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mages & Mechanisms

Start your review of Mages & Mechanisms (Jak & Leander, #1)
Len Evans Jr
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I am totally blown away by this book... the author managed to perfectly balance the steampunk fantasy with the m/m romance such that is reads beautifully as both. The two storylines are so deftly intertwined that no part of the book feels like just one or the other. The world the author has created is not only incredibly complex, but the way he weaves magic with the mechanical is genius. as for those that people his world he has created a cast of characters truly fit to live in his world. The ...more
Chris, the Dalek King
In this steampunk/fantasy fusion, Leander Weatherford–a maker of mechanical animals–is in desperate need of money. With the sudden popularity of mechanical animals that have been enchanted to act/react just like the real thing, his shop has lost a lot of customers. The only way out Leander sees is to hire a mage to enchant his works, with an agreement to split the profits. But with a history that involves the death of his mother at the hands of foreign mages in the not-so-far-past war, Leander ...more
⚣Michaelle⚣
Okay, yeah...after reading this I'm putting more of new-to-ME author Devin's adult MM titles on my TBR shelf. (And maybe a couple of the YA/LGBTQ ones, too.)

Lovely world-building here and I loved the MCs; I hope the next one is coming soon!
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2018
3.5 stars This is a fantasy read with Jak as mage and Leander as creator of mechanical animals.
The animals need some magic and Jak is the Mage for it.
Jak, funny, witty and the biggest flirt and Leander a shy, timid man, they do like each other.

After a upper class baroness give them the biggest order ever, they just can’t resist. They have to build a dragon together, it will be well paid, with this money Leander can give his family what they need.
So far so good... only Jak has a big secret nobody
Joyfully Jay
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

Clockwork is no longer as fashionable as it used to be. Today people want something more; they want magic animals, metal dogs that can bark, wind-up monkeys that can climb, and gilded birds that can fly as well as, if not better than, the real thing, made of silver and gold and bright, colorful gems. In order to protect his family from their slow, downward spiral of poverty, Leander decides it’s time to put aside his prejudices and hire a mage. Enter Jak, with
Erica
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm always excited to try new steampunk. This ended up being more magic than steampunk, though, and I found the ending to be a little . . . sad or something. But it's certainly well-written, and there's plenty of potential for future adventures.
Rachel
11/5/19 Currently FREE via Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D64JMMD/...
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
~ 3.5 Stars
Wasn't on top of it to write the review but I will read more of the series. Good combination of steampunk and fantasy and fun characters.
Maureen Lubitz
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Originally posted on You Have Your Hands Full

Mages & Mechanisms was written by Devin Harnois. This is a m/m romance novel set in a steampunk fantasy world. I picked up this book on Kindle Unlimited after seeing a few recommendations for it on Facebook.

Leander is a gifted craftsman, but business has not been very prosperous lately. He decides to hire a mage to bring his mechanical creations to life, and as soon as Jak arrives at the shop, it’s clear that there’s no one better suited for the
Lyra
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, let's get this out of the way:

Woo, woo, Minnesota residents represent, woo woo! Devin Harnois and I could have tea together, if we knew where in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area each other lived!

*cough cough* Anyway, with that out of the way, one thing that readers should be award of is that this book absolutely feels like the start of a series (and it says it's Jak & Leander Book 1, so I believe it is the start of a series). It doesn't end on a cliffhanger like some series books do,
Deb
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of those novels that the cover and description don’t really do it justice. Leander’s family is very integrated into the plot of the novel, and Jak is both charming to them, and charmed by them. He’s a man without a country, and Leander’s close-knit group is all too easy to fall into, even though Jak knows that to save his own life–he will eventually have to leave them all behind.

There are at least two instances where it would have been simple to go with common tropes and plot devices
Amy Aelleah
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the story well enough, but I couldn't help but feel there were so many missed chances. The author created this really interesting world with clockwork giving way to spirit enchantments and one guy from either side (a mechanist and a mage). There was also some interesting backstory about the burgeoning acceptance of same sex couples that refused to hide - and talk about other countries being more or less progressive. And I feel like we barely skimmed the top of all this in favor of going ...more
Kragthang
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-fantasy
Great introduction! This series has it all: steampunk elements, a romance between two characters that couldn't be more different, secrets that might tear them apart, great supporting characters, and clockwork spirit fusions with their own minds.
The setting and the pacing was great, so was the writing. Here and there it could have been a bit more elaborate, but that's just nitpicking on my part. Overall I enjoyed this book a lot. I like the differences between Jak and 'Lee' and how they warm up
KristyAnne Norton
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leander is a clock mechanism maker trying to keep his family business afloat while also taking care of his family. He decides to branch out and put in an ad for a mage to bring his mechanisms to life. He’s so adorably shy and proper. I love how Jak just waltzed into Leander’s life like a hurricane and Leander is left scandalized at every turn lol. Jak is a mage with a past he’s trying to leave behind and his partnership with Leander is just what he needs in order to move further away from the ...more
Violet  Marshall
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in The Jak & Leander Series. A charming book the writing was good. The plot was entertaining and it was steady throughout the book. I would have liked the story to be more filled out with detail and background info. But otherwise I enjoyed the story and characters. The characters were developed and thought out. Jak and Leander are the MC’s of this book. There was humor, magic, a cat, a dragon, a celebration, family, parties and more in this book. I can recommend as a ...more
Sasha Ambroz
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't get connected nor with the main characters neither with the magic system and history of the kingdom. What was the cause of war? What about the stratas, which were mentioned but not explained. Why do the country use dollars? Etc. Love story was bleak, author wanted me to believe that Jak changed thanks to his love to Leander, but his transformation wasn't convincing. He still seems like an asshole to me.
Barbara
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leander makes beautiful clock works and Jak is a mage and can make Leander's treasures come to life. Match made in heaven? Probably not. Jak has a secret and Leander is stiff and doesn't like taking chances....until he does. Two men attracted to each other, but worlds apart in personality. Can they make a relationship work as well as they make the clockworks come alive? Maybe...unless Jak's secrets get in the way. Good story.
Mark Lucas-Taylor
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this more than I expected to and will definitely be looking out for more by this author and about Jak and Leander. This tale is complete in itself but does lend itself to a sequel. It is a fun light hearted steampunk style gay romance that also, without being heavy, explores the social acceptability of same sex relationships. The main and secondary characters are believable and well written.
Wayne Scott
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, clever, enchanting and amusingly sexy

This is simply a great novel. Devin has a knack of getting the characters in his stories to jump off the page and entertaining. The Shadowmancer gave me a really good insight to this but this series seems to have capped that excellent effort on every level.

I couldn't recommended this wonderfully warm and entertaining novel more.
Ken Cook
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Magic and dragon

Builder of mechanicals hires a mage to activate them. Both are skilled, so business demand increases. As does the romance between them. Family and client, court members are drawn well. The story moves well throughout.
Jaycee Jarvis
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this steampunk opposites attract romance. The chemistry between straight laced Leander and roguish Jak was fantastic. With nicely intricate world building, and a page turning plot, this story hit all the right notes.
Kerry Rayes
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable.

A very well written m/m romance. I enjoyed all the characters and loved the almost steampunky setting of the story. Good romance with hot sex scenes that weren't over the top. Well worth the read. Will definitely read more by this author.
Officialwhich
Dec 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
jaxnsmom
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suzanne Irving
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mechanical dragon and love

I really enjoyed this book. The characters were interesting and the story was very fun. I can’t wait to read the next one
Filipa
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
ette
I wish it had gone more into depth with the characters and world-building
J
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit vulgar but funny and I like this idea of enchanted clock-work companions.
~Shaz~
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, gblt, arcs
This book had extremely deep and detailed characters, the writing held no fault. For me the story took a long time to get going. Honestly don’t know if this grabbed my attention enough to read the next in the series.

I received an ARC copy from the author in return for an unbiased review.

• Always the Groomsman
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
  • Merge Ahead
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Little Red (Big Bad Wolves #1)
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
  • Savior (415 Ink, #2)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • The Reluctant Husband (Goddess-Blessed, #2)
  • The Enchanter's Flame (The Ellwood Chronicles #1)
  • Azaran (The Brotherhood of Ormarr, #1)
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • The Marked Prince (The Darkest Court, #2)
  • Tallowwood
Devin Harnois has several published novels and he’d have more if he spent less time on Twitter and playing Dragon Age. Most of his books involve magic, monsters, and hope. They're also getting progressively more queer. He collects skull items and only a strong will prevents his apartment from being overrun by them.

In second grade he wrote his first story, a romance about two mice falling in love.