Start by marking “Dear Sweet Pea” as Want to Read:

Dear Sweet Pea

The first middle grade novel from Julie Murphy, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Dumplin’ (now a popular Netflix film), is a funny, heartwarming story perfect for fans of Rebecca Stead, Ali Benjamin, and Holly Goldberg Sloan.

Patricia “Sweet Pea” DiMarco wasn’t sure what to expect when her parents announced they were getting a divorce. She never could have imagined tha
Published October 1st 2019 by Balzer + Bray

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Oct 01, 2019
    From Julie Murphy, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Dumplin’ comes a funny, heartwarming story perfect for fans of Rebecca Stead, Ali Benjamin, ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 3305 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 01 - Oct 20, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Dear Sweet Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Sweet Pea

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
    This was absolutely precious and my heart is so dang full.

TW: divorce, homophobia
    Layla (Between the Lines)
    Review to come!
    Casey (caseydillabooks)
    May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    SO much to love about this.
    Samantha (WLABB)
    Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Rating: 4.5 Stars

Sweet Pea liked the way things were, but they wouldn't stop changing. First, she lost her best friend, Kiera, to the popular older girls. Then, her parents got divorced, and she was forced to split time between their "mirror" homes. It also seemed as though she was losing her new best friend, Oscar, because she was keeping secrets from him. Sweet Pea had all the answers for everyone else's dilemmas, but could she solve her own problems?

It was love at firs
    Abby Johnson
    SO GOOD, you all.

I had high hopes for Julie Murphy's first middle grade novel because I am a huge fan of Dumplin' and Puddin'. Friends, it was everything I hoped it would be.

Sweet Pea is a small town Texas girl with a lot on her plate right now. Her parents have just gotten divorced because her dad realized that he's gay. Things are heating up in the war against her former best friend who ditched her for some older, cooler, thinner? girls. And her neighbor, Miss Flora Mae the eccentric author
    Sara (A Gingerly Review)
    What an adorable book. Loved every page!

-------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I love this author and she is an auto-buy for me. I have read everything Murphy has written and loved ever word. When I heard she was writing a MG book, I knew I would read that as well. You know what? It’s just as adorable, hard hitting, though provoking, and relevant as you would image it to be. This did not disappoint.

Sweet Pea, aka Patricia (but don’t call her that), is
    Darla
    Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    There are a lot of moving parts in this book and I am not sure if it all comes together as a middle grade novel. Sweet Pea is an engaging character and she often acts younger than a 7th grade girl. She is struggling with the loss of her best friend, Keira. The DEAR MISS FLORA MAE I asks Sweet Pea to help shuffle her advice column mail. Her friend Oscar starts growing away from her. On top of that her parents have decided to divorce since her dad is gay. The relationship she has with her parents ...more
    Jenn
    Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    [HCC Frenzy sent me an ARC of ‘Dear Sweet Pea’ in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!]
    This story was so authentic and hopeful, full of growth and love. It perfectly handles body image, sexuality, friendship, family and growing up and moving on. When reading any middle grade book, I always hope that the characters— the kids— really come across as kids, and not as the adult author maybe mistakingly writing them to be more advanced for their age. Sweet Pea and her friends are authenti
    Amanda
    Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I am in love with this book. I aspire to be just like Flora Mae when I'm old, minus the stuffed dead cat.
    Dani
    Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    So good, so wholesome
    Jen
    Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: mg-fiction
    Did you love Dumplin'?

Me too!

Patricia “Sweet Pea” DiMarco is having a bit of a rough year. Her parents are getting divorced, she's got friend drama in middle school and on top of all that she starts answering letters written to her neighbor's advice column. (without permission)

Highlights:

I'm a sucker for a cute cat and her cat Cheese and all his antics made me smile.

I Love how hard her parents try to make things okay for her when they just
    Amanda
    This was so lovely! I can already picture the movie ;)
    Madison
    Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Dear Sweet Pea is the middle-grade debut from successful YA author Julie Murphy. Dear Sweet Pea is a delightful story about growing up, figuring your way through friendships, facing challenging family changes like divorce and the coming out of a parent, and finding your voice in the progression from middle school to high school.

When Sweet Pea’s parents announce their divorce and promise her nothing will change she didn’t expect them to set up nearly identical houses for her on the sa
    Fully.Booked
    Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 - First middle grade read in a looooong time and I’m not mad about it😻 I think Murphy hit the nail on the head on her first try at it - this is exactly the kind of novel a young girl should read!

Thirteen year old Sweet Pea is just trying to make to through 7th grade when her parents announce they’re getting a divorce. They try to make the transition as smooth as possible, by moving into almost identical houses on the same street - the only house that separates them belongs to
    Kelly Hager
    This is Julie Murphy's middlegrade debut, but it has all of the things I love about her YA novels: body positivity, family and friend relationships and smart, fierce women (girls, in this case).

I loved the subplot with advice columns. I'm so fascinated by those columns and I would really like a companion novel about Miss Flora Mae. I loved that lady, and I need to know every bit of her backstory.

But most of all, I love Sweet Pea. She's fantastic and is dealing with so m
    Lizzy
    Awesome upper middle grade realistic fiction about 13 year old Sweet Pea who’s trying to keep her life together as everything changes around her. Her parents just divorced, friendships are changing (her former best friend turned nemesis and maybe turned new friend causes her bff Oscar to feel betrayed), and she gets tasked with bringing in the mail of her advice columnist neighbor while she’s away and maybe SP starts to answer a few letters or her own...what could go wrong?
    Perfect middle grade
    Misti
    Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    When Sweet Pea's eccentric old neighbor Miss Flora Mae goes on vacation, she leaves Sweet Pea in charge of handling her mail -- a very important task, since Miss Flora Mae is the town's advice columnist. Sweet Pea can't help peeking at some of the letters, but when she finds on from her ex-best-friend, she realizes she has a chance to exact revenge for the mean treatment she's experienced over the past year since her friend dumped her.

This is a fun read, very much in line with Murphy
    Laura (bbliophile)
    Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
    This was very cute and not bad at all, but I was so bored while reading it that I almost put it down twice... again, there's nothing wrong with it, there was just something lacking. Nothing was really pulling me in and made me want to continue reading it. And I feel so bad about that because I wanted to love this book so, so badly. I still liked it! But definitely not as much as I thought I would. Ah, can you tell I'm having a hard time with this review?
    Alyssa
    Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you so much to the publisher and Danielle for the ARC!

I am in love with DEAR, SWEET PEA. It has so much going for it -- beautiful and complex friendships, changing family dynamics, fat representation and body positivity, and a whole host of interesting characters. Each one of them grows so much over the course of the book and even with so much explored it never feels didactic. I think this book has the makings of a middle grade classic, and I cannot wait to share it with my readers!
    Patty
    On my radar | Frenzy Presents Fall 2019

pre-read rambles
    Honestly Julia Murphy is a hit or miss for me. Actually, more on the miss side. I’ve yet to try Dumplin’ but I DNF’d Side Effects May Vary and Ramona Blue. However, hearing about Dear Sweet Pea today I can’t help but think this will be the one that will end up being a hit!
    Amber
    Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I enjoyed the discussions on divorce and how they were handled in this, but felt the advice column portions could have been stronger.

I got an ARC of this book at Bookcon via the publisher; all opinions are my own.
    Janet
    Julie Murphy always hits a sweet spot, creating novels with depth and thoughtfulness that also make you laugh out loud. I’m so glad she tried her hand at middle grade so that a slightly younger audience can get to know her memorable characters. I loved Dear Sweet Pea!
    Danielle Masterson
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to the publisher & Edelweiss for providing an eARC of this charming book. This is my favorite of Julie Murphy’s collection. I just adored all the characters. Oscar’s brother Jorge, while not in it much, is a scene stealer!
    John Ross
    Feb 12, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Check out the official cover of the book 'Dear Sweet Pea' by Julie Murphy.

Dear Sweet Pea by Julie Murphy

'Dear Sweet Pea' by Julie Murphy will be released on October 1, 2019.
    Chelsea Stringfield
    Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: ya-ms
    Great middle great debut for Murphy - fans of her YA will find similar messages of self love, acceptance, and friendships. Thoroughly enjoyed this, and now I want a cat named Cheese.
    Melissa
    Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Super charming.
    Kristen
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: october
    I liked this very much, but prefer the depth she is able to showcase in her YA novels. Her younger readers should love it!
    Trisha
    Heart-warming and thoughtful. Lovely story of family and friendship.
    Abbie
    So. much. love! The book doesn't come out until October, but I was lucky enough to get an ARC at TLA. We need more body positive books for everyone but especially for kids and teens!

Read my review at Bookish Adventures.
    Brittany
    Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: middle-grade
    This was really sweet and wholesome and reminded me a lot of a Kate DiCamillo book. Sweet Pea wasn't without her flaws and she read true as an authentic middle grade person, but it was her quirks that made her stand out. She has a cat named Cheese and loves the advice column in her local newspaper and splits her time between her newly divorced parents in nearly identical houses. My biggest gripe with this was her name - it grated on my nerves every time someone called her "Sweet Pea" and it real ...more
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    Young Adult Conte...: #19 Dear Sweet Pea by Julie Murphy 2 8 Oct 01, 2019 11:11AM
    Julie lives in North Texas with her husband who loves her, her dog who adores her, and her cat who tolerates her. When she's not writing or trying to catch stray cats, she works at an academic library. Side Effects May Vary is Julie's debut novel.