Start by marking “Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)

Ruthless Gods

(Something Dark and Holy #2)

The stunning sequel to instant New York Times bestseller, Wicked Saints!

Darkness never works alone...

Nadya doesn’t trust her magic anymore. Serefin is fighting off a voice in his head that doesn’t belong to him. Malachiasz is at war with who--and what--he’s become.

As their group is continually torn apart, the girl, the prince, and the monster find their fates irrevocably intertwined./>Darkness
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Ruthless Gods, please sign up.
Seo I believe the author has said that this will be a trilogy.

Start your review of Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
Emily A. Duncan
May 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
it's weird! it's cerebral! everyone is sad! it nearly killed me! it's a good 100 pages longer than WICKED SAINTS!

if you like cosmic horror, forests that want to eat you, and very sad very pretty boys and very tired very done with everything girls then i have a book for you.

that's all, see ya in 2020.

edit: 6.19.19: ~we have a cover~ and i'm just going to come out ahead of arcs and put the necessary content warnings here because we're dealing with about the same level of blood/self h
jessica
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i have no idea what kind of dark and holy sorcery i was able to conjure in order to get myself an ARC of this so early, but praise to all the wicked saints and ruthless gods alike, because wow. this is EXACTLY the kind of darkness i needed to kick off my spooktober!

just like its predecessor, this sequel is so seductively wicked, so gothically bloody, so cruelly romantic; and my black soul has never been happier.

although the pacing seems to be bit slower than i remember it being in t
Nastassja

**Many thanks to Wednesday Books and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book**

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

The world they wish is broken bones and blood—always blood.

To finish this monstrous book on Friday the 13th and on full moon is a sign. A sign that this terrible, erratic, weird but beautiful book means something special to me. Three days of my life were solely dedicated to it. I was so engrossed in the story I couldn't properly eat, sleep, or do anything normal like interacting with people. But who/>The

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have no words! I mean I have a few. These poor broken babies!! We learn lots of things. Go through a million more. That ending!!!!! I hope for something good in next book.

More closer to pub date when I can quote and stuff

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
megs_bookrack
9/4/19: Putting this back on the shelf for a moment. Basically, I flipped out when I received and started reading it right away but it doesn't release until April 2020!

I have so many other things I need to focus on right now. I definitely plan to pick it back up in December or January, for real!

Note to self: Chill the f* out, Meg. Seriously.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!?

Thank you so much to Weclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
ARE
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
The Gods are ruthless and so are friends!

This was an amazing book. So much happened and I loved it all. Like Wicked Saints, nothing in this book was predictable. It was truly an adventure fantasy. The three main characters and their sidekicks started out in the capital city of Tranavia and ended up going on an Epic Journey to the far side of Kalyazin to change life as they know it by either ending the war or freeing the Gods from wha
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Holy cannoli people! Ruthless Gods was one wild ass roller coaster ride. Sort of emotional for me because I kept shipping (and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life) two people that just NEVER did anything romantic (yet). I still have high hopes and that's that.

In this, you are reunited with the gang again: Nadya, Serefin, and Malachiasz. Of course there are other important and lovable people but
Dark River
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHIP OUT THE BLACK EYELINER AND CRANK UP THE HEAVY METAL
We're going on an adventure!

I must begin with saying that I am a big fan of second books in series. We already know the most important characters, we know the world, basic rules have been established. It's less introducing us to everything and more plot, more character development. Luckily, it was no different here. It felt a bit like coming home (well, if your idea of home is a bleak, wet, snow-covered forest that houses a bunch of monsters who may
ash | emeraldbookowl

can't breathe
i need i need i need

book 1 Wicked Saints 5/5 ★
Ashlee » Library In The Country
EMILY, HOW DARE YOU. Y’all are not ready.

This book is cruel and dark and WONDERFUL. Everything it was destined to be. Onyx and obsidian, laced in blood. An inky and monstrous gem of a sequel.

I don’t know how I was lucky enough to get my hands on Ruthless Gods so early, perhaps it’s a gift from the divine or something far more sinister. Perhaps both? You’ll probably have to read the book to find out. And read the book you should.

Wicked Saints completely shattered what I believed was
Amy Imogene Reads
May 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Wishes DO come true! 😍 (I'm so ready)

Thoughts on Wicked Saints.

Thank you so much to Wednesday Books via NetGalley for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica Bibi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
12/18--will review closer to 2020 lmao but i am SHOOK AND DISTRAUGHT, I TELL YOU. SHOOK AND DISTRAUGHT!!!!!
Caitlin Reads
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!!!

This was a great follow up to Wicked Saints and a perfect read to kick off October! There was a lot more character development in the follow up and lots of twists and turns to keep things interesting. Ruthless Gods is not for the faint of heart. The characters are so broken and this book is filled with so much angst and betrayal its hard to read at parts, yet you can't look away. The second installment was filled with MORE, more
Erin A. Craig
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gruesome, grotesque, and so so glorious
Kyle
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Many thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the opportunity to read this advanced copy, in exchange for an honest review.

Godsdamn... that was something!
A bit expected, but thrilling nonetheless.

To just get the negative criticism out the way: There was a somewhat more redundancy to the language this time around. You can only read “dark” and “blood” and “monster” so many times before growing weary of hearing it page after page after page. But I get it. My other complain
booksneedcaffeinetoo
Feb 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
i'm just here to read about a tattooed Malachiasz dripping in blood and covered in iron spikes.

i love dark books staring monsters, blood, cool outfits, and that goth aesthetic. mmkay.

the trilogy is called Something Dark and Holy but really it should be called Something Dark and Bloody. you know...because everyone is always covered in blood. (if this trilogy was made into a movie half the budget would go into making the fake blood.)

maya
Jun 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
COVER

guess who was just approved for an arc

ThIS BItCH
Tiffany Bookwormgram
(physical arc provided by the publisher)

Ha...haha...ha...

That’s the sound of my nervous, terrified laughter throughout this book. MY CHILDREN. My sweet, horrible, bloody, disgusting, awful children!

*Okay, form a coherent thought*

Ruthless Gods is the Slavic Chaotic Cosmic Horror (a new genre?) I was dyyyyying for. Wicked Saints was dark at points, but this book is So Much MORE.

These three ridiculous kids are just so in over their heads. Someone is always cove
Celia McMahon
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hello. I am here to tell you that I was one of those people severely disappointed by THE WICKED SAINTS, but a glutton for punishment since I snatched up the sequel. It is with a light heart that I tell those naysayers that this sequel far surpasses its predecessor. The writing is so much better, and the story had so much DARK. Although I still did not feel truly connected to the characters (save for Serefin. He is my little cinnamon roll), it did not affect my rating as much.

That ending, though
Katrin D
Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Excuse me, but this cover is one of the most depressing things I've seen lately.
♠️ TABI ♠️
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
"The world they wish is broken bones and blood—always blood."

description

bless authors who give content warnings

Right, so it's been a while since I read this bloody, chaotic mess of a book and as such I've forgotten most of the details. Yet I did not forget my obsessive, inexplicable love for this series because the characters have forever stolen my heart.

H O W E V E R

When I say chaotic mess, I'm serious about that. The plot was all over the place, bouncing around like an out-of-control ball you decided to throw just for the heck of it aheart.
H
Aly
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book took me for a ride! Sometimes series get 'second book syndrome' and the second book doesn't live up to the first, but I am hear to say that is not the case here. In this book, things get so crazy that you don't know who's good or bad or just misguided. Our three main characters, Nadya, Serefin, and Malachiasz have come into extraordinary power that they should not have and don't know how to wield. There are so many gods coming into play and I didn't know, which if any, were trying ...more
Jessica McKenna
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
When a book has not one, but two scenes in which the main character gets plot-relevantly covered in blood, and yet somehow still manages to be boring as hell, you know you have reached a certain level of bad.

Ruthless Gods is exactly like Wicked Saints except less interesting. I really don't know what else I expected.

I mean, sure there's a guy who's now made himself into a pseudo-deity with eyes growing all over his body at inopportune times. And yeah there's some eldritch horror possessing one of the o/>Ruthless
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Damn...I know you have heard this many many times...but that ending? Gut wrenching...bewilderment...anticipation...with a bit of hope!

And to wait another year to find out what happens to our cleric, prince, monster, and queen? Ugh...I am going to go through withdrawal!

Full review to come in 2020
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Please be better than the first book, please be better than the first book
ImJaclyn
*** 5 Stars!!! ***

*ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. This sequel was everything! It was filled with blood, horror, romance, deception, magic, and of course, betrayal! It hurt so so good!

We finally get to see the mess these characters have created for themselves. And they are then thrown into so much more mess. Nadya is struggling with her magic, and with hearing her gods. Serefin is struggling with a voice and his new magical eye. Malachiasz is struggling with... well, being Malachiasz. All of***
*ARC***
M. R.
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Um, EXCUSE ME. I BETTER HAVE ANSWERS AND HAPPY THINGS BECAUSE I AM DISTRAUGHT AFTER WICKED SAINTS. I don't mean to shout but I have so many feelings and I never learned how to communicate them appropriately.
Emily (moonlight&moths)
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as to-read-unpublished
I was told that if I liked the last quarter of the first book I would love this one. So despite my slight annoyance at the first book I’m reluctantly hoping the second one is better. Crossing my fingers for spooky cosmic horror.
Morgan
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, arc
3.5 Rounded Up!

Boy, do I have mixed feelings for this one. I believe that Ruthless Gods was a step up from Wicked Saints but I couldn’t help but feel like this book was just one big filler between the first and the last book of the series with little substance of its own.

At the beginning of Ruthless Gods, our main characters are in a pretty unstable place. Malachiaz has fled to the Vulture’s Salt Mines in his monstrous form, Serefin is struggling to keep his sanity and his kingdom from being overt
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Damned (The Beautiful, #2)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Cloak of Night (Circle of Shadows, #2)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • The Boy and the Dark Star (The Dark Star Trilogy, #3)
  • This Vicious Cure (This Mortal Coil, #3)
  • ReBorn (Angel Creek, #3)
  • The Kingdom
  • Thornlight (Foxheart, #2)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Untitled
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • #Murderfunding (MurderTrending, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
“Emily A. Duncan was born and raised in Ohio and works as a youth services librarian. She received a Master’s degree in library science from Kent State University, which mostly taught her how to find obscure Slavic folklore texts through interlibrary loan systems. When not reading or writing, she enjoys playing copious amounts of video games and dungeons and dragons. She is represented by Thao Le ...more

Something Dark and Holy (3 books)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Untitled (Something Dark and Holy, #3)
“I thought we needed him for his glowing personality,” Rashid said.
“And because we missed him.”
“Flattery will get you everywhere, Rashid,” Malachiasz replied.”
0 likes
“You’ll play,” Nadya said <..> “You would have stayed in your hellish mines if you were not going to play. Did you expect to return and find everything exactly like it was before you burned it to the ground? There are only ever ashes after a fire, Malachiasz, and I’ll have you at my feet yet.” His eyes narrowed, the faint smile never quite dropping from his lips even as the air around him turned dangerous. His tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. “We’ll see, pet.” 0 likes