Start by marking “An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good” as Want to Read:

(Äldre dam #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  14,653 ratings  ·  2,950 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN 9781641290111

Content:
- An elderly lady has accommodation problems
- An elderly lady on her travels
- An elderly lady seeks peace at Christmas time
- The antique dealer's death
- An elderly lady is faced with a difficult dilemma

Maud is an irascible 88-year-old Swedish woman with no family, no friends, and…no qualms about a little murder. This
Published November 6th 2018 by Soho Crime

·  14,653 ratings  ·  2,950 reviews

Start your review of An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good
Yun
Nov 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
You got me. Not only do I judge a book by its cover, but I also judge its title too. So when I saw An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good, I knew there's no way I could pass it up.

Maud is 88 years old and as spry and sharp as she's ever been. With no family or friends, she has to rely on herself to solve any problems that come up. But sometimes problems have a way of being unsolvable, unless you don't mind a little murder. And Maud certainly doesn't.

This book is a hoot and a half. With its tongue in c
Julie
An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good by Helene Tursten, Marlaine Delargy (Translator) is a 2018 SOHO Crime publication.

Well, if you’ve had your fill of gooey, saccharine sweet holiday books or movies, then this collection of vignettes featuring Maud, an eighty-eight year old serial killer, will cure your holiday sugar rush.

To be completely honest, I didn’t do much homework when I borrowed this book from the library. One of my fine friends on Goodreads added this book to their TBR list and I though
Debra (semi-hiatus)
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dear sweet little old Maude....what a clever, serial killer you are! Plus, you are not so sweet. If fact, you are quite grumpy and calculating. She’s not your grandmother folks (unless, of course your Granny is a killer).

Maude is an 88-year-old Swedish Woman with no family or friends. Who needs them? Not Maude! She quite happy to do things on her own. Make travel arrangements, go on vacation, murder someone, surf the internet, etc.

Everyone needs a hobby! Well, it appears that apart from traveli
Michael David
Dec 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Maud is an octogenarian, but she is nothing like our friends from The Thursday Murder Club. She is, in fact, a killer.

This is a collection of 5 amusing stories featuring 88-year old Maud and her murderous shenanigans. She doesn’t mean to kill. It’s just that Maud wants to live her life in peace, and if someone tries to disrupt that, she needs to eliminate them.

From a celebrity who moved into Maud’s apartment complex - and wants Maud’s unit, to a terrible neighbor, to a few other folks who mess w
Regina
Jan 22, 2022 rated it liked it
This one’s for the peeps that like a pinch of pepper in their chocolate chip cookies.

If I had a dollar for every book I’ve read about an elderly person that’s up to no good… I’d have a lot of dollars. The cast of the cozy coot canon, as I call it, just keeps growing, doesn’t it? We’ve got a 100-year-old man climbing out windows, a man called Ove being icy to his neighbors, and others like Harold Fry just wandering around the countryside.

But Helene Tursten’s short story collection kicks it up a
Diane S ☔
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Meet Maude. She is not your stereotypical elderly lady. Definitely not the kind that distresses one when in a hurry and the car that is doing ten or more miles under the speed limit is driven by a littleold lady who can barely see over the steering wheel. Nor the one in the grocery checkout counting out her exact change one coin at a time, while we not so patiently wait for them to finish. Yes Maude is in her later eighties, lives in a large apartment where she is legally entitled to spend h ...more
Jon Nakapalau
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an original character! Maud will put a smile on your face even as you feel a shiver down your spine! The elderly are so often 'invisibalized' by society; the perfect cover for a serial killer! A truly original character that I will look forward to reading more about in the future! ...more
Jayme
Dec 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Did you ever send or receive a Hallmark card featuring the cranky cartoon character “Maxine”?

Well, if enjoyed the humor of those greeting cards, you will also enjoy the short stories in this collection, which feature Maud, a cantankerous Octogenarian living in Sweden.

Maud doesn’t like it when you try to take what’s hers, or when you disturb her peaceful life, and she simply won’t put up with it. She will do do anything and everything she needs to-to keep the status-quo-up to and including Murd
Michelle
Jan 05, 2022 rated it really liked it
My son just tested positive for COVID, my first book of 2022 was a total dud, and my dog came running in the house this morning where she delivered a decomposing rodent in the middle of my living room floor. I know it's only January 5th but 2022 is sucking already.

Until this morning, when I had the pleasure of meeting Maud. This feisty 88 year old may look like a fragile old granny but don't let her appearance fool you. She's not only fit as a fiddle but she has all of her wits about her which
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: The champagne was a really expensive brand - Champagne de Pompadour. When Maud looked it up on the internet, she saw it cost 549 kroner at the state-owned liquor store. Ridiculous! Admittedly, Maud enjoyed the odd glass of genuine champagne from time to time, but she was happy with brands that cost less than half that amount. The little tin of Russian caviar was also the real deal and probably cost as much as the champagne. Maud seriously doubted whether the other residents of the apart ...more
Sheri
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Resourceful. Intuitive. Discerning. Sharp. All words one might use to describe Maud. All positive attributes, you might say. But Maud also has a darker side. She can be cunning, devious, and coldhearted to "certain individuals". Whenever a dilemma pops up, Maud contemplates the problem at hand, and arrives at a perfectly wily solution. A fun read to entertain one’s latent maniacal tendencies. There’s no rest for the wicked when revenge is so sweet! ...more
Mar 14, 2022 rated it really liked it

Due to a decades old clause in a real estate contract, 88-year-old Maud lives rent-free in her family's large ancestral apartment in Gothenberg, Sweden.

Maud values her privacy, likes to travel, and knows how to look out for herself.

You might observe Maud shuffling down the street with her walker, speaking in a quavering voice, and seeming befuddled, but don't be fooled. This is an act Maud puts on to dupe the public, so when Maud murders someone - which she feels compelled to do on occasion - M
Kat (Books are Comfort Food)
Maude is nothing like my elderly mom, but I love her all the same. I love the way she solves her problems. Not only did I get a good chuckle, it was fun watching the wheels in Maude’s head turn for her next escapade, errr murder. This book is well-written and contains 5 stories about Maude and her antics. I wanted more. So clever. Many thanks to Michael David for putting this one on my list.🤗
Diane Barnes
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little book (literally) that packs a punch (figuratively)because Maud is not your typical 88 year old lady. When she sees a problem, she fixes it by getting rid of the source. It turns out that being old is a great disguise for a murderer.

3.5 stars rounded up for a great character. I hope we get more of these stories, the first five just whetted my appetite.
Sujoya
Jan 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
I never thought I'd say that I enjoyed a book about a lethal killer so much. But I actually did! Octogenarian Maud is one of the most unique fictional (I certainly hope!) characters I've come across in a long time. Smart as a whip , no-nonsense Maud finds solutions to her "problems" by disposing of them , literally and with no help needed whatsoever.
An Elderly Lady Is Up To No Good by Helene Tursten(translated by Marlaine Delargy) is a fun read that keeps you engaged throughout. Five short stor
Bill Kerwin

Swedish author Helen Tursten is best known for her series of mysteries about Inspector Irene Huss (made into a series of films for Swedish TV), but, when she was asked to contribute to a Christmas anthology, she decided to write about a serial killer instead, a serial killer who happens to be an “elderly lady,”

Tursten’s heroine Maud is not a blood-thirsty monster, driven by bloodlust or malice. No, she is merely a stone-cold but reasonable sociopath. She believes in live-let-live, but, when some
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
I wanted a short audio story because I was in the mood. Immediately, I was attracted to the title “An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good” by Helene Tursten. I do enjoy Turnsten as an author, and that title….seriously…the title is irresistible!

I’m not giving anything away by saying it’s a series of short stories about a murderous old lady, Maud. I didn’t know going in that Maud is a murderess, as I didn’t read the title highlights, I just loved the title, and it’s free on Audible Plus. What’s to lose?
Victoria
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
What is the deal with these curmudgeonly, geriatric Swedes? This one takes her ire to a new level, but I just didn’t find enough of the promised hilarity to make it worthwhile. Others have loved, so maybe I’m turning into a crotchety Cuban heading for a murderous streak in a few decades.
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love feisty old people and Maud (the elderly lady of this book) certainly fits the description.
She is not one of those depressing seniors just awaiting death (at least not her own death). You might say she gets things done, not legally but with great satisfaction to herself and to the reader.

This is a funny and entertaining collection of vignettes that deal with murder and revenge. Reading it was like eating the sorbet between courses; it cleaned my reading palette and prepared me to appreci
JaymeO
Jan 28, 2022 rated it liked it
Beware of the nice old lady!

Maud is an eighty-eight year old Swedish woman without any family or friends. She lives alone rent free in an apartment building and enjoys vacationing and spa trips.

She won’t be fooled and no one takes advantage of her.

Watch your back because little old Maud is dangerous!

I listened to this audiobook which is translated from Swedish. It contains five short stories about Maud’s adventures. The narration was pleasant to listen to when the playback is sped up. It is a
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
88 year old no-nonsense Maud is a former teacher living rent free (thanks to a legal technicality after her father passed away when she was 18) in a spacious apartment in Gothenburg, Sweden.

In a series of short stories, we learn about Maud's life and her penchant for murder.  While most people see a feeble minded elderly lady who is half deaf and lacking the strength to hurt a fly, Maud uses this illusion to her advantage as she surfs the net for useful information on a stolen laptop and travels
Lori
Jan 26, 2022 rated it really liked it
What a fun and entertaining read! I loved 88 year old Maud! This book is a collection of five short stories involving Maud, murdering people that mess with her peaceful quiet life. She is spunky, clever and you do not want to upset her!
Rachel
Mar 07, 2022 rated it really liked it
This series is so adorable, I love the tiny hardcover editions. And what a nice surprise to have the contents be just as great! Well, okay so Maude the senior serial killer isn’t *adorable* exactly, but is a captivating, adventurous and clever lady (if cold, crotchety and manipulative). This handful of stories made for a very quick read, but quality over quantity and all that. Recommend if you want to read about a spicy, unconventional elder.
Carol
Feb 07, 2021 added it
Shelves: fiction
Maud is eighty-eight years old. Maud is like no older woman I know. Well, maybe a bit like some I know. Independent, manipulative, cunning.
Darkly, hilariously entertaining.
Maud, you are something! I almost don't want to admit it. I loved this book.
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars

What a charming little book. Translated from Swedish, being made into a TV series in Sweden, I feel cheated that we are not also getting it in the United States.

Eighty-eight year old Maud is just a little devil. Set, and solitary, in her ways and always looking for the solution to her next problem. That solution, involving a bit of murder, does not dissuade her.

Humorous to the point of laughing out loud funny, this book is light, relaxed and enjoyable. The entertainment value far exceed
Kate Olson
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Title is perfect. Cover is perfect. Maud is perfect. I have honestly never felt so justified in cheering for a murderer as I have with this book. This little old lady is LETHAL, and her age (late 80's) and infirmity (mostly faked) are the perfect defenses. If you are looking for something deeper in this book, I can assure you that my mind went often to the invisibility of older people in our society. While Maud surely took that to her advantage, it is something I think about often especially whe ...more
Mara
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This basically makes me want to write fan fic where Maud visits St. Mary Mead in 1935 and shit gets real. Savage old lady mortal combat
Carolyn Walsh
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful, cozy crime story. Not a mystery as we knew the perpetrator and the motive for each criminal act. Maud is an elderly, apparently frail 88-year-old Swedish lady. She lives rent free in a large home which belonged to her family and had been divided into apartments. She appears feeble, uses a walker and hearing aids to fool people. Her pastimes are surfing the internet, visiting a luxury spa, extensive travel, and murder. She has no hesitation killing people who annoy her and ...more
Connie G
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maud is an elderly Swedish woman with a benign exterior. She has no tolerance for anyone who crosses her, and deals out her brand of justice to those taking advantage of older people. Maud is responsible for a sizable body count in this small collection of five witty short stories. I enjoyed the humor in the stories, but I wouldn't want to meet Maud on a dark staircase. ...more
Morgan
Nov 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
A little (literally – 6” x 4” – 171 pages) book that packs a wallop.
An 88 year old Swedish lady who does away with people who annoy her without being caught.
It’s not really funny as some reviews promise but it’s hard not to like Maud because she is only getting rid of people who need to be gotten rid of.
Clever! The moral is – don’t mess with old people.😉

• The Maid
  • Your Guide to Not Getting Murdered in a Quaint English Village
  • The Man Who Died Twice (Thursday Murder Club, #2)
  • Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead (Finlay Donovan, #2)
  • A Line To Kill (Hawthorne and Horowitz Mystery, #3)
  • A Spindle Splintered (Fractured Fables, #1)
  • The Sentence
  • The Reading List
  • The Old Woman with the Knife
  • Under the Whispering Door
  • The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections
  • Finlay Donovan Is Killing It (Finlay Donovan, #1)
  • The Violin Conspiracy
  • The Grammarians
  • State of Terror
  • American Housewife
  • The Midnight Library
  • Rules for Visiting
See top shelves…
Helene Tursten (born in Gothenburg in 1954) is a Swedish writer of crime fiction. The main character in her stories is Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Before becoming an author, Tursten worked as a nurse and then a dentist, but was forced to leave due to illness. During her illness she worked as a translator of medical articles.

Series:
* Irene Huss

Äldre dam (2 books)
  • An Elderly Lady Must Not Be Crossed

News & Interviews

Predictions of the future are a sci-fi and fantasy staple, and at Goodreads we certainly spend enough time staring at new and upcoming books to...
“But she had learned that it was smart not to reveal that all her senses were in full working order; instead, she allowed people to act in accordance with their own preconceptions. This was often a useful source of information, and Maud could form her own opinion of the person and the situation.” 5 likes
“No,” she said again, just because it felt good to say no to this person” 3 likes