Start by marking “Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea” as Want to Read:
Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea

Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea

Sooner or Later Everything Falls into the Sea is one of the most anticipated sf&f collections of recent years. Pinsker has shot like a star across the firmament with stories multiply nominated for awards as well as Sturgeon and Nebula award wins.

The baker's dozen stories gathered here (including a new, previously unpublished story) turn readers into travelers to the pa

Published March 19th 2019 by Small Beer Press

To ask other readers questions about Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea

Iona Sharma
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
It took me a while to warm to this one because a couple of the earlier stories didn't grab me - including, disappointingly, the title story, which I didn't hate but didn't love. But when it picks up steam, it's a really wonderful book. The hands-down best story is "And Then There Were N-1", the Hugo-nominated story about a convention full of the author's alternative universe selves - all called Sarah Pinsker, attending SarahCon - but I liked "Wind Will Rove" almost as much, which is a story abou ...more
Lori
Most definitely in the running for best book I've read this year. Wow. Just wow.

Sarah deftly captures the human experience and rocks our world, time and time again in Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea. The stories within this collection take place in alternate universes and future versions of our current world, where the characters' realities are near enough to our own to seem comforting and familiar, yet are bizarre enough to catch you off-guard and continously facinate you.

It's r
Mark
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-collection
This is an impressive collection of stories, many set in the near-future or an alternate universe, but also grounded in real human dilemmas, including loss and isolation. The last story, "And Then There Were None", possibly the best in the collection, is a tribute to Agatha Christie, about a conference of hundreds of Sarah Pinskers, (the author) on a remote island in a storm--and one of them is murdered. The writing here is strong and deft and I am definitely looking forward to read more of Pins ...more
Brooke
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't be truly objective about this book - Sarah is my friend. I remember when she sold her first story, and when she received her first award nomination. And now she has her first book release and every time award nominations for SFF awards come out my question isn't whether she was nominated but rather which story of hers was nominated this time.

But I can be objective enough to know that this collection competes with some of the best. I've read plenty of SFF short story collections - includi
Koeeoaddi
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant collection; vivid, compelling and relentlessly humane. Each story sucks you in with an intriguing first sentence or premise and by the time you turn the page you are completely involved. I love the language, which is so evocative and immediate. There wasn't a story I didn't like, or a sentence out of place. I loved the title story, but I think my favorite was the short and lovely The Sewell Home for tbe Temporally Displaced. Marvelous!
Beth Cato
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this galley through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sarah Pinsker is among my favorite writers, and I was thrilled to read her new collection from Small Beer Press a few months in advance of release. When I say she's among my favorites, that also means I'd read most of the stories in this book before; four were new to me, but one sees its first publication in this book.

All of these stories are worth re-reading. Actually, they are worth studying on a technical level to understand why stor
Vanessa
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Possibly the best short story collection I have ever read.

I won't break it down by story, but I have to make one. Specific. Comment.

"A dog-eared paperback novel called Parable of the Trickster."

GODDAMMIT SARAH
Kate
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

This was a delightfully original and unusual set of short stories. Delving into this world was a great experience and author's writing style kept me intrigued through it all. And these stories made me feel an array of emotions - joy, sadness, wonder...

Definitely one of the more interesting reads I touched lately.
Roy
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first collection from an amazing writer who just keeps getting better. This collection includes the four stories nominated for major awards, one new story, and several of her other works. She invokes emotions in every story, and her style is inimitable.

The collection would deserve 5 stars just for the 4 award stories -- I re-read them, and, if anything, they are more impressive at a second read. I keep being amazed at how "And then there were (N-one)" works on so many levels, as a true homa
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is easily the best short story collection--and possibly the best book--I read in the last year. So often, collections are a mixed bag, but this one was weird and wondrous from beginning to end.

I appreciated the hope that threaded throughout the stories. I've been working against the urge to make every work of science fiction into a brooding vision of an ominous future, and Pinsker's book gives me a rare model for this amidst the bleak, dystopian SF landscape. I also enjoyed the abundance of
Julie S
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this collection. The author wrote a story about going to a convention of all her doppelgängers from alternate dimensions that was one of the greatest things I read in a Hugo packet and I was happy to see it in this collection.
CatBookMom
First impression: I am savoring those stories, reading them one at a time. Really good writing, characterizations, sense of place.
Bee
I have no words beyond "wow" at the moment. Full review to come.
Paula Lyle
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I'm not really sure that short stories are my thing. I loved "And Then There were (N)one" but was more neutral on most of the other stories. Enjoyed it overall and I'm looking forward to her novel coming out later this year.
Rachel
I think the order of the stories could have been rearranged to end on a stronger note, but that’s a nitpick on a really excellent overall collection.
Félix
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thirteen utterly delightful stories.
Leo
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
All of those stories were a delight but the first one completely blew my mind in a quiet but very powerful way.
Frank
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a hard book for me to rate. The writing was excellent but the stories themselves weren't for me. I would liken it to a top-rated chef expertly preparing you a dish that's not to your tastes. I went into this book expecting more of a sci-fi vibe. The last story was the only memorable one in the collection for me and was what I was hoping for from the balance of the collection.
Sara G
May 04, 2019 added it
I chose this book because I enjoyed the sci-fi cleverness of Then There Were (n-one), which I read in Uncanny Magazine. What I loved about this book, though were the quiet, heartfelt stories where not much happens. A girl grows to appreciate a robot that imitates her grandmother. A scavenger is inspired by a starlet she saves. A man grows to appreciate his new mechanical arm.
Lily
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
It's extremely rare that I read a collection of short stories and like every one, but Pinsker's prose and eye for detail got me every time. Her worldbuilding is evocative, and most importantly, every single character she writes is brimming with heart, soul, and humanity. She writes with a stunning amount of empathy. Her stories feature a vast array of people from different walks of life, but I can't think of a single one with a traditional villain. The stories are united by speculative element, ...more
Cat
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that I read this book as a direct result of community, both digital and brick-and-mortar. I've been reviewing my leisure reading on Goodreads for several years now (possibly a decade?), and somewhere along the line, Sarah Pinsker and I became Goodreads friends, without my being aware that she was a writer (in spite of that "Goodreads Author" parentheses currently after her username). Then this spring I went to Asheville for a long weekend, and I spotted this title on the bookstore picks s ...more
Dan Trefethen
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had read a few of Sarah Pinsker's stories in Asimov's magazine and was impressed with her work. Two of them were SF stories featuring musicians, which felt authentic, which is not a surprise because she's a performing musician.

Her first collection has 13 stories. Many of her stories are clever twists on classic themes – Greek sirens luring sailors to their deaths, generation starships, multiverses, murder mysteries. What makes them worth reading is the easy style she delivers, believable char
Deborah
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a definite favorite for me this month. I didn’t know much about the book going into it, but I was immediately drawn in by the stories.

Each of the stories in this collection are very different with vastly different characters. There’s a home for retired time travelers and students creating murder home replicas. The sirens of ancient myths make an appearance alongside stories in the far future with space travel and advances in AI. I found that each story builds a unique world incredi
Beth
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating array of stories by a master speculative-fiction short story/novella author. Pinsker's range in characters, voices and story subjects is evident in this, her first anthology: from an historical fantasy piece featuring a golem grandmother to artistic-culture preservation and dissent on a generation ship, to...well, as weird as the oddest Theodore Sturgeon story. Soft, hard and medium science fiction with all but the most technical of "hard" SF. Pinsker's characters and settings are ...more
Michael
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The stories here were some of the most unique I've read. I generally go for short story collections that are anthologies, but decided to pick up this one of works by a single author and was not disappointed.

Individual ratings follow, but this was a fantastic collection overall.

A Stretch of Highway Two Lanes Wide 2.5
Talking with Dead People 4.5
The Sewell Home for the Temporarily Displace
Christopher Rose
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's hard for me to write a balanced review of this collection, as I'd read every story in it (minus one, along with the new one) as they initially came out in various publications. Some are merely excellent, and others I hold up to writing self as exemplars of certain voices, tropes, structures, or 'angles of attack'. There are some knockout stories in here, believe me.

I'm not practicing for a position as a future blur-writer, I'm just being honest. Sarah mints stories that grow out of the core
Galen Strickland
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As with the last story collection I rated 5 stars, not every story here is that good, but enough of them are to warrant the high score. Sarah has only been publishing a little more than six years, but in that short time has become a premier and reliable author. There are several stories from these years I recall liking but that aren't in this book, including her current Nebula finalist. I'm sure it won't be long before she has enough others to fill another collection, and I'm looking forward to ...more
Marzie
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-edelweiss
From the shortest of stories like the sweet "The Sewell Home for the Temporally Displaced" to the novelette length" Our Lady of the Open Road," this is a uniformly fine anthology of Pinkser's short fiction. Limning the human condition in all of its weirdness and hopefulness, each story can be savored. "Wind Will Rove" was particularly memorable in its appreciation of collective cultural memory and the role of art and music, while "And Then There Were (N-One)" is a clever hat-tip to Agatha Christ ...more
Streator Johnson
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a general rule, I tend to avoid short story collections (Gardener Dozois' annuls to the contrary), but I had heard something good about this one and I thought I would give it a shot. Good recommendation. I enjoyed all the stories, though I do have one small complaint, often the ending left me at loose ends. Not really endings per say for many of these stories. That being said, the stories themselves were interesting and had a nice flow to them.
Ren Bedell
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book
A collection of short stories with a science fiction focus. The stories are mainly near-future stories speculating on social aspects connected with technology. Only 1 story is new, while the rest have been released previously in magazines and other areas. Every story is good and many are amazing. None of the stories are bad. Most of them had me wanting more. I would say this is the best short story collection I have read so far. I highly recommend if you are a fan of short fiction.
« previous 1 3 next »