Start by marking “Say Something” as Want to Read:
Say Something

Say Something

The world needs your voice.
If you have a brilliant idea...say something!
If you see an injustice...say something!

In this empowering new picture book, beloved author Peter H. Reynolds explores the many ways that a single voice can make a difference. Each of us, each and every day, have the chance to say something: with our actions, our words, and our voices. Perfect for kid
Published February 26th 2019 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Say Something, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say Something

Mrs. Krajewski
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a must read! My son says this book deserves a “bonus star” 🌟 because it shows you how important your voice can be.
Richie Partington
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: SAY SOMETHING by Peter H. Reynolds, Scholastic/Orchard Books, February 2019, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-545-86503-6

“Oh, look outside the window, there’s a woman bein’ grabbed
They’ve dragged her to the bushes, and now she’s bein’ stabbed
Maybe we should call the cops and try to stop the pain
But Monopoly is so much fun, I’d hate to blow the game”
--Phil Ochs, “Outside of a Small Circle of Friends” (1967)

“So we are speaking up for those who don’t have anyone listening to them, for those who ca
Karyn
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful in all ways.
Nadia L. Hohn
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This! I am loving the crop of picture books about activism for children. It's really what we need right now and is warming my heart. I know that Peter H. Reynolds wrote The Word Collector which I still have not read yet but I know that it has swept up a huge amount of picture book awards. Say Something reminds me of the ad I always see in the NYC Metro. "If you see something, say something." Young readers are encouraged to speak up and say something and given several everyday scenarios that they ...more
Ms. Arca
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
For me as a me— this is 3 stars. The tempo isn’t my favorite and I’m a curmudgeon who is now a picture book snob.

For me sharing this with a student or child — likely 4 or 5 stars.
I think kids will hear the way Reynolds wrote about using your voice and feel affirmed by it, get chatty with examples from their own lives using his examples, and enjoy the way it’s presented overall.
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Say Something is such a wonderful and important picture book! It's all about using your voice, speaking up, sharing your ideas, expressing yourself, and making the world a kinder and more peaceful place.

This is such a great reminder to all of the importance of speaking up for ourselves and others, speaking out about injustices, and putting meaningful and kind words out into the world. Words matter!

We loved the colorful backgrounds, all the thought bubbles, and the diverse illustrated individuals
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bo and Pirada
Here's a great little picture book about the power of your voice. Specific examples are illustrated- and show how to say something with and without using your voice. Teach your littles how to make a statement, stand up for others, and stand up for themselves.
Mandy Robek
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
A must read, a must own, a must reread!
Connie T.
This colorful picture book delivers a simple yet profound message: The world needs your voice. Either through words, actions, or creativity we should not be afraid to express ourselves.
Book Buying With Katie
I love children's books SO MUCH. And this is maybe one of the most beautiful I've ever read. I'm crying. It's fine. Also--the author dedicated it to Emma Gonzalez. And that's really friggin cool.
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous! Wonderful! Important!
Melanie
A fantastic book by a fantastic author/illustrator. Peter Reynolds hits the nail on the head with this picture book about speaking out for yourself and others.

Highly recommended for storytime.
Beth Honeycutt
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks, Angie Hull! Bought it!
Kathy Mathey
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect to spark discussions for all ages.
Mary Lee
Must-read and must-use with students to encourage them to use their voices to make the world better!
Jana
This wonderfully upbeat book lets all young readers know that their stories matter and that everyone has something to say. It also validates all forms of expression so that anybody can be a part of the conversation, from shy and quiet folks to those who are bold and daring, from those who are writers, or artists, or musicians, and on and on. Sharing this book with kids would be a great way to talk about ways to share our stories and our ideas.
Lorrie
Apr 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, picture-books
Everyone has a voice.
Mary
A heartfelt picture book that will spark thought provoking discussions about how each of us has a unique voice. Each two page spread is a poster with a bold message that is intended to heal and transform the world around us. An inspiring book for all ages.

Aliza Werner
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Words matter. Speak up and say something...for yourself and others.
Becky
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I expected this to be rather obnoxious, but it was just right. A really great classroom book and a solid choice for a public library.
Michele Knott
A book to share over and over and over.
Barbara
The endpapers of this picture book contain several encouraging words or mark instances in which someone has spoken up or coined a pithy saying. The book itself contains a simple reminder that all voices matter and that the speaker need not worry about getting all the words right or being loud. All that matters is speaking up, and the text suggests that it is possible to be heard through spoken or written words, actions, or even creative responses. It also provides specific actions upon encounter ...more
Jackie
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psla-reviews
Say Something! Will help children understand that words, actions and expressions have the ability to make a difference. Brightly colored pages contrasted by extra large text bubbles and illustrations featuring children allow the reader to focus on how one individual can be a catalyst of change. Diversity among the illustrations reinforces the message that every voice matters regardless of race, gender or ability. Even the endpaper of this book gives its audience an opportunity to visualize their ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Say Something! by Peter H Reynolds. PICTURE BOOK. Orchard Books (Scholastic), 2019. 9780545865036

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

The narrator talks to a young character in the book, telling her that the world needs her voice and that she can say something in so many different ways. You can say something by being there for someone who is lonely or by painting something or planting a garden. You can tell someone to stop if they are hurting someone else. The world need
Linda
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Peter Reynolds is serious. No matter who you are, soft-spoken or loud, you can "say something" when needed. You can make someone feel less lonely, speak up when they're hurt, plant a seed and watch it bloom. With all kinds of wonderful kids in beautiful spaces, we all are challenged to use our voices and our ideas, to make life better. For everyone, for every classroom, another book from Reynolds that excites and makes me smile - a lot! One final note: The front end covers show all kinds of spee ...more
Becky B
An encouragement to use your words and talents and actions to say things the world needs to hear, because no voice is too small.

It is good to be reminded that even small actions and little things can make a big difference. That though we don't think what we have to contribute is all that magnificent, it really could have an impact. That's what this book does. It encourages kids to speak up for themselves, make their emotions and thoughts heard too. And if they see something wrong, to fix it. A g
Shaye Miller
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful picture book by Peter Reynolds! In this one, everyone must heed the call to “say something” in order to make the world a better place. Maybe you will say something with music or with your art or with your words, but everyone mustn’t waste the opportunity to make positive changes. This book makes me so happy! I was finally able to purchase a copy for my dear friend and fellow teacher, Lauren, who never fails to say something when it matters most.

For more children's literature, m
Melanee Parker
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it’s time to make that “made me cry at the book fair and pay cover price for a hardback book” shelf. That’s where I’d have to put this one. Such a beautifully written book about using your “voice” to create beauty and goodness in the world. It was so full of lovely and inspiring sentiments but the sparse wording kept it from seeming overly lesson-y. Love how Reynolds manages to say something so impactful with so few words.

(As a side note, I don’t typically give children’s books a star rati
Kate
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this book will be a great read-aloud with my kindergartners. Kids (and let's face it, everyone else) find themselves in situations where they don't know what to say, but Reynolds makes the case that saying something, even if it's not perfect, is the right action. Then he explains that saying something can mean doing something, like making art or planting a garden. When someone is lonely, saying something can be sitting with that person. And of course, he tackles two of the toughest event ...more
Ann Chase
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am always looking for books that help my students find ways to express themselves. "The world needs your voice,” begins this book. But for kids with language issues, that's not always easy. I love that he includes suggestions like painting, planting seeds, or having your own sense of style. “Some people find it easier to say something than others,” says Reynolds, “but everyone has something to say.” And, as always, Reynolds has a diverse cast of characters.

A must-read for everyone - with or wi
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Peter Hamilton Reynolds is an author and illustrator of children's books and is the co-Founder and CEO of educational media company FableVision.