Start by marking “Lean Impact: How to Innovate for Radically Greater Social Good” as Want to Read:
Lean Impact: How to Innovate for Radically Greater Social Good

Lean Impact: How to Innovate for Radically Greater Social Good

Despite enormous investments of time and money, are we making a dent on the social and environmental challenges of our time? What if we could exponentially increase our impact?

Around the world, a new generation is looking beyond greater profits, for meaningful purpose. But, unlike business, few social interventions have achieved significant impact at scale. Inspired by the
Published October 30th 2018 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Lean Impact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Impact

HBalikov
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to help do good. I’m sure that you want to see your contributions do the most good possible.

"At the end of 2016, over 65 million people were displaced from their homes due to conflict or persecution, the most since the Second World War. The number and intensity of climate‐related natural disasters has risen. And in 2015, the Ebola epidemic reminded us of how rapidly a dangerous virus can spread around the world."

Truth be told: I am a management system geek and a sustainability nerd. I hav
Alja
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly repetitive and US-focused, but still a useful framework for social innovation entrepreneurs and funders that seek to maximize real-world impact.

Throughout the book, the author demonstrates how prevalent funding mechanisms stifle innovation, risk-taking, and consequently the impact of mission-driven organizations. Instead of the forced waterfall approach imposed by grants, we need a mindset shift, along with hybrid funding mechanisms and legal entities that will allow organizations to "
Elisa
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: csr
As a corporate funder, I think a lot about how to be a better funder. This sums up the book for me:

“To test out promising innovations, collect and analyze the data, and let businesses and governments scale up and sustain what works. We’re like an incubator in that way. We aim to improve the quality of the ideas that go into public policies and to steer funding towards those ideas that have the most impact. If we don’t try some ideas that fail, we’re not doing our jobs”
~ Bill and Melinda Gates
Anish Malpani
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A lot of this I had read / studied before but Ann does a great job bringing it all together, especially with her examples. I have a signed copy and this might actually become my Bible. Before reading it, I thought as much.

Ann Mei does an extremely efficient job in combining the incredible principles of Eric Reiss' Lean Startup with the struggles of the social impact space - lack of resources, dependence on donors, ancient methods of up-front project planning. She is a proper champion of using en
Tumi
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must for anyone who is interested in or already working in the social impact space. Ann Mei Chang explains innovation principles in social impact contexts by using case studies from Organisations all over the world to show examples of how to go about implementing her suggestions. She also writes in a practical, accessible way.
Kathy Heare Watts
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am paying it forward by donating it to my local library.
Nancy Brown
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, very good. I respect Anne Mei Chang, her experiences and perspective. I am frustrated by the pokey, out of date processes and bureaucracy too...but I wonder if we shouldn't respect global health accomplishments, research and evidence-based approaches more - and launch change from there.
Philippe Bailleur
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lean Start-Up for Forces’for Good

What is possible when the best of non-profit and profit companies is coming together? In this way Forces for Good emerge and that is what we need today on a global scale.
Josh Dormont
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Helpful addition to the Lean series although much of the content exists in other books.
Kaveh Azimi
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Takes the best from Lean Startup, but with appropriate nonprofit modifications. Most relevant for nonprofits/social enterprises interested in rapid growth.
Kavisha
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting read however it emulates existing innovation material.

• The Elephant and the Flea: Reflections of a Reluctant Capitalist
  • I Die, but the Memory Lives on
  • A Daughter of Isis: The Autobiography of Nawal El Saadawi
  • Relativity Simply Explained
  • Remember, Remember (The Fifth of November): The History of Britain in Bite-Sized Chunks
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • The Elephant, the Tiger, and the Cell Phone: Reflections on India, the Emerging 21st-Century Power
  • Panama Fever: The Epic Story of One of the Greatest Human Achievements of All Time-the Building of the Panama Canal
  • The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness
  • FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching
  • How College Works
  • Jesus Lived in India: His Unknown Life Before and After the Crucifixion
  • India (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Television: A Biography
  • Just Giving: Why Philanthropy Is Failing Democracy and How It Can Do Better
  • Bones
  • Building a Movement to End the New Jim Crow: an organizing guide
  • Salvador
ANN MEI CHANG is a leading advocate for social innovation who has worked across the tech industry, nonprofits, and the U.S. government. As Chief Innovation Officer at USAID, she served as the first Executive Director of the U.S. Global Development Lab, engaging the best practices for accelerating impact and scale from Silicon Valley for the world's most intractable challenges. Previously, Ann Mei ...more
“Impact is a critically important concept when it comes to social innovation, generally used in the context of measuring whether social interventions do or don’t work. But conceptually, it’s very similar to the problem of measuring success in a business before you have profits. That’s why lean methods are so perfectly suited to this kind of work. The only real difference is that instead of talking about maximizing shareholder value, Lean Impact talks about maximizing social impact. An advance party of pioneers, some of whom you’ll read about here, is already doing this, but we need more. This book is a way to help add to their numbers. Lean Impact is not only transformational for the social sector, though. My hope is that people in other kinds of businesses and organizations will also pick it up and, after reading about the dedicated people and clear strategies whose stories Ann Mei has gathered, think about how the products and institutions they build affect the world. All of us have more to learn about how we make impact so we can move together into this new era. —Eric Ries, author of The Lean Startup and The Startup Way” 0 likes
“Innovation” may be the most overused buzzword in the world today. As the pace of change continues to accelerate and our challenges grow ever more complex, we know we need to do something different just to keep up, let alone get ahead. Finding better ways to tackle the most pressing problems facing people and the planet is no exception. Over the past few years, the notion of innovation for social good has caught on like wildfire, with the term popping up in mission statements, messaging, job descriptions, and initiatives. This quest for social innovation has led to a proliferation of contests, hackathons, and pilots that may make a big splash, but has yielded limited tangible results. So we should start by asking, What is innovation? One unfortunate consequence of the hype has been that, in common parlance, innovation has often become conflated with invention. While invention is the spark of a new idea, innovation is the process of deploying that initial breakthrough to a constructive use. Thomas Edison’s famous quote, “Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration,” puts this in perspective. In other words, innovation is the long, hard slog that is required to take a promising invention (the 1%) and transform it into, in our case, meaningful social impact.” 0 likes